Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Emmets didnt gat a fair crack last year. Junior games on friday and then a county QF on sunday. (they would have won that an all only for tiring in the last 20). So lets making a semi final cant be considered not taking it seriously. That said i have no knowledge of the 2 games you mention or have a strong opinion as to wether they should stay or go.

Good for the county manager if he wants to look at good junior players against senior clubs but prob negative for the county championship overall.

Their third and final group game last year was against Adare, Emmets had already qualified and were guaranteed 1st place no matter what the result was.

They turned up without jerseys, and without enough players. They took to the field with 13 men wearing VERY old Castletown-Ballyagran jerseys (from the 1990's, back in the days when there were no GAA logo's on jerseys, these jerseys had the old Guaranteed Irish logo on them!)

After about 15 minutes, a few extra players arrived with the jerseys, they quickly took to the field. It didn't matter, Adare were already something like 2-8 to 0-1 in front. The game was over, Adare tore them to shreds while they were down to 13 men and that set the tone for the rest of the game. They emerged wearing correct jerseys for the second half but went on to lose 5-19 to 0-6.

Granagh-Ballingarry who had beaten Adare in the first round of that group ended up in the relegation play offs, Bruree's win over Ballingarry on the last day wasn't enough to make the quarter finals as they got nowhere near Adare's scoring difference, they were 29 points off Adare who beat an Emmets team who weren't bothered by 28. Bruree and G-Ballingarry had to play a full strength and fully interested Emmets team, Adare didn't. It was a tight group where the difference between a quarter final place and a relegation play off was just one point. Maybe Adare would still have beaten a full strength Emmets but due to that shambles we'll never know.

A team can't behave like that for a senior championship game.

I fully agree with your point about Emmets being hard done by in terms of scheduling and their players playing twice on a weekend. But that's another reason to get rid of the divisional team in my opinion, the scheduling issues are what led to Effin's players withdrawing just before the 2011 semi final replay with Ahane as they (understandably) wanted to concentrate on Effin's preparations for the Intermediate final. The inclusion of the divisional team is a great idea in theory, but in practical terms it creates fixture scheduling headaches and forces players to play two games over a weekend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Result: Ard Scoil Ris 0-14 Doon CBS 1-06 (Harty Cup quarter-final)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

jordainius wrote: »
    Their third and final group game last year was against Adare, Emmets had already qualified and were guaranteed 1st place no matter what the result was.

They turned up without jerseys, and without enough players. They took to the field with 13 men wearing VERY old Castletown-Ballyagran jerseys (from the 1990's, back in the days when there were no GAA logo's on jerseys, these jerseys had the old Guaranteed Irish logo on them!)

After about 15 minutes, a few extra players arrived with the jerseys, they quickly took to the field. It didn't matter, Adare were already something like 2-8 to 0-1 in front. The game was over, Adare tore them to shreds while they were down to 13 men and that set the tone for the rest of the game. They emerged wearing correct jerseys for the second half but went on to lose 5-19 to 0-6.

Granagh-Ballingarry who had beaten Adare in the first round of that group ended up in the relegation play offs, Bruree's win over Ballingarry on the last day wasn't enough to make the quarter finals as they got nowhere near Adare's scoring difference, they were 29 points off Adare who beat an Emmets team who weren't bothered by 28. Bruree and G-Ballingarry had to play a full strength and fully interested Emmets team, Adare didn't. It was a tight group where the difference between a quarter final place and a relegation play off was just one point. Maybe Adare would still have beaten a full strength Emmets but due to that shambles we'll never know.

A team can't behave like that for a senior championship game.

I fully agree with your point about Emmets being hard done by in terms of scheduling and their players playing twice on a weekend. But that's another reason to get rid of the divisional team in my opinion, the scheduling issues are what led to Effin's players withdrawing just before the 2011 semi final replay with Ahane as they (understandably) wanted to concentrate on Effin's preparations for the Intermediate final. The inclusion of the divisional team is a great idea in theory, but in practical terms it creates fixture scheduling headaches and forces players to play two games over a weekend.

they needed flexability from the divisional board, but did not recieve it, the old we will show them who cracks the whip attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Quite a trimming off Tipp today, did anyone attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Been a bit out of sorts lately, plenty of Limerick stuff to catch up on.

Firstly, the loss to Kerry in the McGrath Cup semi-final was disappointing but not unsurprising. Apart from the fact that Kerry are stronger than us, we were missing a good few players with injuries and we put up a good fight for quite a while.

Still though, the real stuff starts this weekend, promotion from Division 4 is vital for us, I think. We've too often not hit the ground running in the league and struggle to put a good run of results together. In a Championship situation, we would be confident of beating any of the Division 4 teams (and a lot of the Division 3 teams too).....but we have to deliver consistently.

We have more away games than home games this year, so the one this weekend is pretty much a must-win. But Leitrim will be on a high after winning the FBD League, they've shown some good form and will be very tough opponents. Haven't seen a team announced yet and we are still missing plenty of players so it will be a tough ask. I won't be able to attend, another competition on locally so I'm hoping that when I get back in that I'll be hearing about a Limerick victory!

As for the hurlers, very disappointing to lose to Tipp in that fashion. Only scored 1-1 in the 2nd half, nothing from play? Obviously very early in the season, and we did have a slow start last year and still don't have a full panel to select from. Still though...

Hit 16 wides again, which is poor by any standards. Wouldn't be sure about Seamus Hickey as a forward... probably more suited to it than Geary was last year, but I think he'd be better suited further back. I'd like to see Hannon at centre-forward once he's back.

Need to be firing for the league, can't afford any slip-ups this time. Same thing applies, promotion is vital. We are one of the top 6 counties in Ireland, it's up to us to show that.

• Advertisement

From the Limerick GAA facebook page:

1, Brian Scanlan (Gerald Griffin's)
    2, Cian Coady (Na Piarsaigh)
    3, Johnny McCarthy (St. Kieran's)
    4, Mark O'Riordan (Croom)
    5, Stephen Lavin (Adare)
    6, Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's)
    7, Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8, Thomas Lee (Ballylanders)
    9, Bobby O'Brien (Bruff)
    10, Seamus O'Carroll (Cappagh/Kilcornan)
    11, John Riordan (Fr. Casey's)
    12, Derry O'Connor (Fr. Casey's)
    13, Eoghan O'Connor (St. Mary's/Sean Finns)
    14, Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    15, Ian Ryan (St. Senan's) (Captain)

16, Donal O'Sullivan (Monaleen)
    17, Mike O'Keeffe (Newcastle West)
    18, Damien Quaid (St. Mary's/Sean Finns)
    19, Stephen Lucey (Croom)
    20, Lorcan O'Dwyer (Pallasgreen)
    21, James O'Meara (Ballysteen)
    22, Paul Kinnerk (Monaleen)
    23, Darragh Treacy (St. Kieran's)
    24, Ian Corbett (Newcastle West)
    25, Sean Sheehan (St. Mary's/ Sean Finns)
    26, Danny Neville (Ballysteen)

---

Injured players include both starting midfielders, John Galvin and Jim Donovan, one of our best forwards, Stephen Kelly, and the captain Seanie Buckley among others. And the likes of Ian Ryan, Gerry Collins, Eoghan O'Connor and Stephen Lucey have all had injuries recently so their fitness may be in doubt.

Still, it's a decent team...plenty of pace in the attack, some good man-markers in defence. Lee and O'Brien are both handy players but wouldn't be have the same strength as the other pair, so Leitrim might try and get on top in midfield. Hopefully Ryan and Collins have their shooting boots on, and that both O'Connors and O'Carroll can cause problems by running directly at their defence.

Think we might just sneak this one by a couple of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

[QUOTE=Fireball07;83005341
    Think we might just sneak this one by a couple of points.[/QUOTE]

Prediction spot on. fine win again for this gallent bunch of lads. with Collins and Ryan late withdrawels due to flu and injury thus joining the absent Galvin,
    Donovan,Lucey,Kelly,Buckley,Lane it was shoulder to the wheel stuff and the effort paid off with a 2 point win. Corbett and O'Meara replaced the 2 late withdrawels fitting in comfortably.
    down 5pts to 4 at half time having played against the horrible elements we knocked over 3 quick pts in the opening moments of the second half and never looked back from there though there was a late flurry from Leitrim which brought them to within a point but sub Kinnerk scored the insurance point in injury time.
    The 'elder lemons' of the team were solid as a rock while the young guns were simply flying thus providing huge problems for the opposing defence.
    Away to Offaly next week who beat London today. Carlow beat Tipp and Waterford beat Clare.

Granagh/Ballingarry have been re-instated to the senior hurling ranks. And in another plus for that club, Donal O'Grady has been nominated as Limerick senior captain for 2013. its the first time that the team management have been given the power to nominate a captain as opposed to the pre-historic system where the county champions nominated the captain,usually one of their own players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

washman3 wrote: »
    the pre-historic system where the county champions nominated the captain,usually one of their own players.

That hasn't worked too badly for Kilkenny, mind you...;)

That hasn't worked too badly for Kilkenny, mind you...;)

might be due to the fact that each Kilkenny club probably have 3 or 4 players capable and respected enough to be a county captain???
    BTW Limerick footballers played today and not a single player from last years 2 county finalists featured... let alone be captain :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

washman3 wrote: »
    Prediction spot on. fine win again for this gallent bunch of lads. with Collins and Ryan late withdrawels due to flu and injury thus joining the absent Galvin,
    Donovan,Lucey,Kelly,Buckley,Lane it was shoulder to the wheel stuff and the effort paid off with a 2 point win. Corbett and O'Meara replaced the 2 late withdrawels fitting in comfortably.
    down 5pts to 4 at half time having played against the horrible elements we knocked over 3 quick pts in the opening moments of the second half and never looked back from there though there was a late flurry from Leitrim which brought them to within a point but sub Kinnerk scored the insurance point in injury time.
    The 'elder lemons' of the team were solid as a rock while the young guns were simply flying thus providing huge problems for the opposing defence.
    Away to Offaly next week who beat London today. Carlow beat Tipp and Waterford beat Clare.

Tough match next weekend away to Offaly. Hopefully we will have more players available than against Leitrim. If we do we should beat them. Results in Division 4 certainly went in Limerick's favour, with both Tipp and Clare losing at home.

Good to get a win to kickstart the league campaign, and Leitrim are not a bad side at all. Taking the injuries into account, it's a very decent result.

Next week will be even tougher, Offaly look to be a more formidable force this year. They've been pretty poor in recent years, even if they have some good players, but I'd be more worried about them this year. Niall McNamee will always be a threat, he's pure class. Think it'll be tough, and if we don't have more players back, I think we might lose this.

As for the captain thing, I think it's a progessive move. Although Horan has said Buckley will remain as captain no matter what. I would love to see Galvin captain Limerick before he retires, the man is an inspiration.

As for the hurlers, I suppose DOG was the logical choice. I think GOM is a pretty good leader too, but DOG has been a great servant to Limerick and has been consistently very good for years.

1, Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2, Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    3, Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    4, Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    5, Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher)
    6, Shane O Neill (South Liberties)
    7, Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    8, Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    9, Cathal King (Na Piarsaigh)
    10, Patrick Begley (Mungret)
    11, Gavin O Mahony (Kilmallock)
    12, Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    13, Tom Ryan, (South Liberties)
    14, Paudie O Brien (Kilmallock) (Vice Captain)
    15, Donal O Grady (Granagh/Ballingarry) (Captain)
    16, Paudie Ahern, (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    17, Paul Browne (Bruff)
    18, James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    19, Declan Hannon (Adare)
    20, Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    21, David Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    22, Conor Allis (Croom)
    23, David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)
    24, Niall Moran (Ahane)
    25, Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    26, Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    27, Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    28, Tommy Quaid (Effin)
    29, Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)
    30, Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)

Some interesting selections...Kilmallock as county champions only have 3 players, although all are likely starters. Na Piarsaigh have 6 players included.

Robbie Egan is out, which I thought was a surprise...Barry O'Connell is out, Niall Maher is out, Seanie and Tommy O'Brien are out, Mikey Ryan is out and the biggest one is Dave Moloney, as some people thought he'd start. Maybe he's injured, I'm not sure.

As for inclusions, plenty will be glad to see Alan Dempsey in, hopefully he can impress during the league. Pat Begley is also in, giving us another full-back option, although I'm not sure he's ready for Championship hurling yet.

In the forwards, Adrian Breen and David Reidy have done enough to make the cut, again let's hope they can make an impression.

Cathal King and Paudie Ahern have also made the final 30. Looks like Nicky Quaid will not be tried outfield and will remain in goal.

Thoughts? Preferred first-choice team? Anyone you'd like to see break into the team this season?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    the biggest one is Dave Moloney, as some people thought he'd start.

Maybe Allen is not a Labour man...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Veeeery surprised robbie egan is out, is he injured.

Also surprised at Egan and Moloney being left out, and to a lesser extent O'Connell. He and Egan are ones for the future I would have thought. Will they be with the intermediates? Could always be changes after the league I suppose. Interesting that the players seem to be loosely listed according to position.

The team I'd select from that 30:

1. Nicky Quaid (although I wouldn't mind seeing Murphy at some stage, Quaid is class)
    2. Alan Dempsey (really talented young hurler)
    3. Richie McCarthy (proved his doubters wrong last year imo)
    4. Tom Condon (lynchpin of our defence)
    5. Wayne McNamara (still have issues with his distribution, but can't fault his effort)
    6. Donal O'Grady (Could be a midfield option too)
    7. Gavin O'Mahony (class act)
    8. Seamus Hickey (versatile player, don't think he's a forward but has impressed in midfield in the past)
    9. Paudie O'Brien (best midfielder in the country)
    10. Conor Allis (I like his pace and work-rate)
    11. Declan Hannon (has to be centre-forward imo, should be the focal point of our attack)
    12. David Breen (good as a ball-winning option)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (our most lively forward)
    14. Kevin Downes (if he can stay fit, I reckon he's the best full-forward we have)
    15. Shane Dowling (I like him closer to goal, not sure if he has the work rate of a wing-forward yet)

Biggest calls imo are who will be the spine of the team.

DOG played centre-back last year, people have mentioned the likes of Hannon, GOM, Wayne Mac, Hickey... I wouldn't mind seeing O'Mahony there and DOG back in midfield. We need someone who is strong in the air but who can distribute well and dominate games.

At centre-forward, I think Hannon is the natural option, he's our best hurler by a mile. Hickey was tried in the Waterford Crystal, I'm not a fan of that...other options are Breen, Allis, possibly Downes but I think Hannon has to play there.

At full-back, Richie Mc deserves another go, but Begley may put pressure on him. You could always move Condon there.

The Dempsey/Walsh/O'Neill/possibly Hickey battle for the corner-back slot will be interesting.

I think O'Brien is certain to play midfield, who will partner him? One of Hickey/DOG or Browne/Ryan/Ahern?

A lot of people here are big Wayne Mac fans but my one problem with him is that even when he was a great game, he is still prone to errors. Is it still a good game if you gift two scores to the opposition, but dominate the rest of the game and tag on a couple of scores yourself?? I think Allen likes him for his physicality and passion though.

My team was a little harsh on Seanie Tobin, but he can put a hand up, as can Moran, Breen, Reidy, etc.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    The team I'd select from that 30:

1. Nicky Quaid (although I wouldn't mind seeing Murphy at some stage, Quaid is class)
    2. Alan Dempsey (really talented young hurler)
    3. Richie McCarthy (proved his doubters wrong last year imo)
    4. Tom Condon (lynchpin of our defence)
    5. Wayne McNamara (still have issues with his distribution, but can't fault his effort)
    6. Donal O'Grady (Could be a midfield option too)
    7. Gavin O'Mahony (class act)
    8. Seamus Hickey (versatile player, don't think he's a forward but has impressed in midfield in the past)
    9. Paudie O'Brien (best midfielder in the country)
    10. Conor Allis (I like his pace and work-rate)
    11. Declan Hannon (has to be centre-forward imo, should be the focal point of our attack)
    12. David Breen (good as a ball-winning option)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (our most lively forward)
    14. Kevin Downes (if he can stay fit, I reckon he's the best full-forward we have)
    15. Shane Dowling (I like him closer to goal, not sure if he has the work rate of a wing-forward yet)

Biggest calls imo are who will be the spine of the team.

DOG played centre-back last year, people have mentioned the likes of Hannon, GOM, Wayne Mac, Hickey... I wouldn't mind seeing O'Mahony there and DOG back in midfield. We need someone who is strong in the air but who can distribute well and dominate games.

At centre-forward, I think Hannon is the natural option, he's our best hurler by a mile. Hickey was tried in the Waterford Crystal, I'm not a fan of that...other options are Breen, Allis, possibly Downes but I think Hannon has to play there.

At full-back, Richie Mc deserves another go, but Begley may put pressure on him. You could always move Condon there.

The Dempsey/Walsh/O'Neill/possibly Hickey battle for the corner-back slot will be interesting.

I think O'Brien is certain to play midfield, who will partner him? One of Hickey/DOG or Browne/Ryan/Ahern?

A lot of people here are big Wayne Mac fans but my one problem with him is that even when he was a great game, he is still prone to errors. Is it still a good game if you gift two scores to the opposition, but dominate the rest of the game and tag on a couple of scores yourself?? I think Allen likes him for his physicality and passion though.

My team was a little harsh on Seanie Tobin, but he can put a hand up, as can Moran, Breen, Reidy, etc.

I'd go with close enough to that. I think our half back line will be unchanged, and richie and Condon are straight in the full back line. Agree O'Brien will start in midfield.

Hickey then will prob be corner back or midfield... A few spots depend on where he plays.

I'd leave dowling at wing forward, he's great to catch ball. Hannon centre forward. Toss up between breen and allis for the other wing. Moran has to start on last years form of he hits that again.

Quaid
    Hickey/Dempsey
    Richie
    Condon
    Wayne mc
    DOG
    GOM
    O'Brien
    Hickey/James Ryan
    Dowling
    Hannon
    Breen/allis
    Mulcahy
    Moran
    Downes

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Great to get the win today against Offaly in the football. Always tough to get a victory on the road. Two wins from two matches. Great start to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Out of interest who won in the challenge match?

Good interview with captain Donal O' Grady here.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/new-limerick-captain-ready-for-challenge-1-4762109
    By Jerome O’Connell
    Published on Saturday 9 February 2013 01:44

New captain Donal O’Grady will lead the Limerick senior hurlers for the first time this Saturday evening in a challenge game against Cork.

The inter-county challenge game takes place in the Togher GAA grounds of St Finbarr’s in Cork at 6.00.

One week previous, Donal O’Grady’s enjoyment of last Saturday’s Six Nations clash between Ireland and Wales was interrupted by a phonecall.

Ireland were in the midst of their scoring spell towards the end of the opening half when the Granagh-Ballingarry man saw the name of John Allen on his mobile phone.

O’Grady was only settled back in home after an early morning training session but it was to be a welcome phonecall.

“The vote to change the captaincy was on the Tuesday night and the following day fellas were coming into the shop and saying it could be me but it wasn’t something that I had thought about,” explained Donal O’Grady to LeaderSport.

All changed when John Allen informed O’Grady that management had selected him to captain Limerick for 2013.

“Of course I was delighted. I’m not sure if it’s a reward or what for my years but it’s a great honour. From a personal point of view there will be certain pressure but I think I have pretty much seen it all,” outlined O’Grady.

Now the elder statesmen of the panel, O’Grady is a veteran of 36 championship appearances since making his debut in 2004 under the Padjoe Whelehan reign.

He doesn’t need reminding of his status within the panel.

“Don’t talk to me,” he laughs.

“The young fellas stroll into training with not a worry in the world after two or three hours in college and they are full of energy. Then the following day they can find time to watch Home and Away,” he jokes.

Until the recent nuptials of Seamus Hickey, O’Grady was the only married member of the 2013 panel.

“I have my wife Kathryn and two small kids at home and in fairness they understand the commitment.”

“I’ve learned down the years that you can’t afford to go through the motions. It does take over your life and it has to be 100% commitment or else nothing,” outlines the new captain.

It’s this commitment that signalled out O’Grady as the obvious choice for the captaincy when management were given the task after the vote to deprive the respective county champions of the honour.

Previously a Sales Rep with Coca Cola, O’Grady took over the family business last September - Ballingarry’s Spar Store.

“The driving was definitely harder on the body but even working at home I know that the commitment to training is 100%. There is no point in me ringing John Allen and saying that I am stuck in the shop and not able to make training - you just have to commit 100%.”

It’s a philosophy that has stood O’Grady well.

“This week alone, we trained Monday, Tuesday and we have Thursday and then a match in Cork on Saturday night and on Sunday the inter-provincial selectors want some of us to meet up.”

It’s a long way from the early days of O’Grady’s inter-county career.

In 2001, he won an All-Ireland U-21 medal.

“I played in the first game that year against Cork. I played about a half hour and then was taken off and couldn’t get back into the team,” he recalled.

Many of the team were catapulted directly into the Limerick senior panel.

As he had done for the previous two years, O’Grady continued to hurl with the Limerick intermediate side.

“I hurled intermediate for four years altogether,” he recalled.

In 2004 the break through to the senior ranks arrived.

“I actually didn’t hurl a minute of that league and then in the championship against Cork I was used as a blood sub and the next say against Tipp I came on as a sub,” he explained.

The management bib may have passed Padjoe Whelehan, Joe McKenna, Richie Bennis, Justin McCarthy, Donal O’Grady and now John Allen, but the Granagh-Ballingarry man has remained one of the few constants since his debut in 2004. Indeed O’Grady and Moran are now the only two members of the Limerick senior panel with All-Ireland U-21 medals.

“I have no problem saying that there were at least 20 fellas on those U-21 teams with more natural ability than me - they are all only around 30-33 years old now but gone. If you look at Kilkenny they have about six or seven fellas that age”

He added: “When you look back at those Limerick U-21 teams there was some fierce talent in those squads.”

Facing into his 10th full season on the inter-county senior panel, O’Grady is appreciative of his chance to play at this level.

“You would definitely appreciate it a lot more as the years go by. It can be a reality check when you come in first but I think I have seen it all now - the good and the bad.”

He continued: “I’ve learned my share and hopefully I can pass that onto lads now. But there is great leadership in this panel. It isn’t a quiet dressing room - the young lads that have come in have expectations and confidence and that will make my job a lot easier.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ah Cork won it 1-22 to 2-15.
    Limerick were ahead 2-07 to 1-09 at HT according to twitter.
    Honestly couldn't tell ya anything outside of that though.

Great win for the footballers.....pity about the hurlers, know what the team was?

Ahhh FFS, i live 5 minutes away and didnt know it was on. Thats a sickener.

Report here

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cork-win-pleases-barry-murphy-222312.html

Hickey started CF and failed to score, are they going to persist with him there?

Report here

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cork-win-pleases-barry-murphy-222312.html

Hickey started CF and failed to score, are they going to persist with him there?

I think that he's supposed to be a ball-winner and distributor mainly.. Allen was criticising the work rate of the half-forwards recently, so I'd say that's the reason he has him in there. Kind of like how Bonner Maher plays for Tipp.

However, I don't think Hickey is the answer, I'd rather Hannon play there. I think we need as many ball-winners and scorers there, but Hickey is just a much better defender/midfielder. From midfield, he is a scoring threat.

I hear we're going for a 12 team senior competition

not sure about that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

A mouthful: Hyundai Limerick Motor Centre County Senior Hurling Championship

I hear we're going for a 12 team senior competition

not sure about that

I personally think the 16-team one works pretty well.

A mouthful: Hyundai Limerick Motor Centre County Senior Hurling Championship

Hopefully that means Live95 are going bankrupt and we might get a half decent radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Draydis80

I'm intrigued by hickey playing centre forward, has anyone seen him play in this position, haven't seen him play centre forward so can't really comment, hopefully he will solve one of our problem areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement