Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Draydis80 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by hickey playing centre forward, has anyone seen him play in this position, haven't seen him play centre forward so can't really comment, hopefully he will solve one of our problem areas.
    Looks like they're going to persist with it anyway. I'd prefer Hannon to be honest I think he is a natural there but we'll see how this goes on Sunday and through the league.

Very strong team named. Pretty much our first 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Very rare that playing a fella out of position works out, and we're doing it in the two most important positions on thepitch CB and CF. That said DOG might be our least worst option at CB. I'm very dubious about hickey. Very strong side, would expect that team to play tipp in june or dub in the league.

I guess Allen is going all out for the league, we need div 1 hurling and a league semi final to give us any chance against tipp in june.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

For what it's worth, this is the team:

16. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    5. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    6. Donal O’Grady (capt) (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    7. Gavin O’Mahoney (Kilmallock)
    8. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    9. Paudie O’Brien (Kilmallock)
    10. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    11. Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher)
    12. Conor Allis (Croom)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)

It is a very strong team, you'd have to expect a big win against Antrim tbqh.

Interesting to see Dowling closer to goal, I think it's a good decision, he's a natural scorer. We'll see how Hickey goes but I'd prefer him in midfield or at half-back by the time the Championship comes around with Hannon at centre-forward. Still, all 3 players are able to win their own ball and will work hard...Allis is a great player to have there. Hopefully we use Murphy's range of puckouts as well.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, this is the team:
    Interesting to see Dowling closer to goal, I think it's a good decision, he's a natural scorer. We'll see how Hickey goes but I'd prefer him in midfield or at half-back by the time the Championship comes around with Hannon at centre-forward. Still, all 3 players are able to win their own ball and will work hard...Allis is a great player to have there. Hopefully we use Murphy's range of puckouts as well.
    I dunno does Dowling have the pace for the corner, would have thought he would be a full forward if not on the wing. If anything I would have thought Downes would be in the corner. I like him out wing forward though as he can win ball and score. Looks like the Hickey experiment is going to continue too for a while at least. Would be great if it works out but if not how long do you persist with it and where do you find another place for him at the end of the league? Looking forward to seeing more from Allis this year he's a player who is a bit under the radar that could have a big impact, he must be going well to be centre back for UCD.

I dunno does Dowling have the pace for the corner, would have thought he would be a full forward if not on the wing. If anything I would have thought Downes would be in the corner. I like him out wing forward though as he can win ball and score. Looks like the Hickey experiment is going to continue too for a while at least. Would be great if it works out but if not how long do you persist with it and where do you find another place for him at the end of the league? Looking forward to seeing more from Allis this year he's a player who is a bit under the radar that could have a big impact, he must be going well to be centre back for UCD.

Dowling isn't the quickest...but I think he may be part of a 2-man full-forward line at times. I don't think he has the work rate for a top class wing-forward as of yet. It's grand against weaker teams, as he'll score loads but as we saw against Kilkenny and even against Clare, he got limited ball.

Hickey is pretty much a guaranteed starter if fit...he'll have someplace found for him unless everybody is in unbelievable form.

• Advertisement

Phew 1-19 -0-19

Doesnt bode well

Anyone there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

its a win, do we know what kind of training is being done, it could be what training is being done may not suit games.

flutered wrote: »
    its a win, do we know what kind of training is being done, it could be what training is being done may not suit games.

Well we got within 4 points of cork last week and we saw what they done against tipp. so.........

Hopefully someone here was at it and can let us know how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it could be the old limerick failing after playing well against cork they could not get boots big enough for them, any way cork would be all out against limerick with a biggie against tipp on the horizon.

Wasn't there either, we only scraped past but I wouldn't read too much into it. We took a while to get going last year too, and at least we were able to dig deep to get the win.

Look at Tipperary last night, they were well off the pace too.

Nice to see Hickey getting on the scoresheet, 4 points in total? Impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Nice to see Hickey getting on the scoresheet, 4 points in total? Impressive.

Not impressive imo. 4 pts seemed to 'come his way' due to the hard work of players around him. dont think he's really the answer to No.11
    Think Hannon will be there. a class act today. if not they may resort to James Ryan. Hickey for corner/wing back or midfield. i have always maintained that Browne is a midfielder and nothing else, think this was proved in second half today. Midfield for me V Dublin would be Browne and Paudie O'Brien.

Very weak performance from Limerick today. Really went through the motions for most of the match. Pretty much our first 15 that was put out, hopefully there's a good few changes the next day because no one really looked like they were playing for their place. First half saw us go back to the way we used dick around under Donal O'Grady, stupid pointless handpasses and the forwards insided scratching themselves waiting for the ball. A lot of bad decision making. We would have lost if not for Hannon.

Here's what I thought:

Murphy: Did well, good save for the penalty. A lot of people reckon he should be the number 1, did his chances no harm.
    Walsh: Fairly anonymous. Tough marker and all but he needs to contribute more. Surely this would have been a game to give another corner back a run. Was surprised Walsh wasn't subbed.
    Richie Mc: Did well enough apart from one error in the second half where if his man had managed to pick the ball up it was a goal.
    Condon: His usual self. Very good. Inclined to take too much out of the ball, can run up the field and lose it. Went for a hail mary point in the second half and went harmlessly wide. Very frustrating for Downes in full forward I'm sure.
    Wayne Mc: Can't be faulted for effort as usual.
    O'Grady: Poor. Fairly anonymous at centre back. He'll get better, probably still our best option there.
    O'Mahony: Was ok. Also inclined to take too much out of the ball and lose it. Had a poor league but great championship last year so wouldn't worry about him.
    James Ryan: Disagree with Dodgy I thought he was poor. Didn't contribute a huge amount and occasional bad decision making. Kept putting his hand up to try and catch a ball against the Antrim midfielder who was about two foot taller than him with predictable results.
    O'Brien: Very disappointing and taken off at half time. Had expected him to be a starting midfielder this year, hopefully will improve given he how good he has been for club and college.
    Hannon: Brilliant. Won us the game. Frees, points from all distances, a brilliant point from a sideline. Best player on the field. Why isn't he trusted to be centre forward?
    Hickey: Some great pieces of play and scored a few points though his man also hurled an amount of ball. Looked like he should have been midfield and would have made a difference there. Don't see him as a better option at 11 than Hannon.
    Browne: Started wing forward for Allis and was woeful in the first half. Very good when moved to midfield though.
    Mulcahy: Didn't do much.
    Downes: Tried hard but was well marshalled by the Antrim full back. Thought he should have had a few more frees awarded to him. Not much ball delivered to him. Taken off before Dowling which was unfair because he wasn't doing too bad.
    Dowling: Hopeless. Nowhere near up to the pace. What's he doing in the corner? Especially the left corner for a player stronger off his left side? It's full forward if he's not in the half forward line.
    David Breen: First sub in, came on after half time at wing forward for O'Brien and showed he should have started. Worked hard, tracked back the field and his whip on a ball to take it off an Antrim player by the half back line was the first bit of fire I saw from a Limerick player. Made his goal by not giving up on a lost ball and beat two defenders. He makes mistakes and he's Shefflin but he's not given enough credit and should be starting the next day.

Other subs didn't come in soon enough we should have seen at least 4 in by 50 mins. And what was the point in bring in Adrian Breen with 2 minutes to go?

Thank god we weren't playing in Division 1 today. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fantastic match preview by Eanna McGarrigle here folks, take a look - you'll not see better:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-waterford-vs-limerick/

keane2097 wrote: »
    Fantastic match preview by Eanna McGarrigle here folks, take a look - you'll not see better:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-waterford-vs-limerick/

I tried to remain as balanced as humanly possible, although I think it comes through that I know a bit more about Limerick football than Waterford football :p

And it was real head v heart stuff for the verdict, I honestly think we're a better team than Waterford and if we were to meet them in the Championship, we'd win. But Saturday night in Dungarvan...and we often start slow, still without Galvin, Donovan, Kelly...others just recovering from injuries, Waterford might just sneak it.

Really hope they don't, should be an interesting match anyway.

0-3 to 0-1 up after about 18 mins. 95 fm have gone to an ad break in the middle of the match :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tijuanaboozer

there is live commentary on the local Waterford radio station 2;)

Ah I couldn't be listening to that :p

8 wides for Waterford so far.....Limerick winning 4 to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Full time: Waterford 0-6 Limerick 0-8

Great to get the win. We remain unbeaten, and must be favourites to get to the final now. Can't get complacent obviously.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What was the starting 15 tonight?

• Advertisement

What was the starting 15 tonight?

Scanlon; Coady, O'Dwyer, O'Riordan; Lavin, Browne, Ranahan; O'Brien, Lee; O'Meara, Riordan, O'Carroll; Collins, O'Connor, Ryan

McCarthy was supposed to start at full-back but pulled out with an injury, O'Dwyer came in.

Great win, (and great night all round in Dungarvan :cool:)
    Thought with Johnny Mac being a late withdrawel from the team we would really struggle but these lads yet again put the shoulder to the wheel and defied the odds. The energy and workrate of John Riordan was immense. Eoin O'Connors speed caused untold problems to the Deise defence. Scanlon looked far more solid in goal than in the last few games and coped very well with the speculative high balls into the square. Midfield has improved immensely since the first game of the year V Clare in Foynes.
    At home to Carlow next week. A win will almost definately guarantee promotion.

Is it true that Limerick are at home to Carlow in both football and hurling but the games aren't being played as a double header???

If so, that's a ridiculous decision imo.

I'd love to go to both, and then there's the soccer match against Cork in Thomond Park directly after. Would be a great day of sport.

Is it true that Limerick are at home to Carlow in both football and hurling but the games aren't being played as a double header???

If so, that's a ridiculous decision imo.

I'd love to go to both, and then there's the soccer match against Cork in Thomond Park directly after. Would be a great day of sport.

Football throws in at the Gaelic Grounds at 1pm. Hurling straight after in Gaelic Grounds, throw in at 2.45pm. Both games are against Carlow, so they might bring a crowd. Soccer kicks off at 5.15pm across the road in Thomond Park. It's being televised on RTE2. So a good day out for all Limerick supporters. It's also mothers day, so don't forget to bring her!

jjjd wrote: »
    Football throws in at the Gaelic Grounds at 1pm. Hurling straight after in Gaelic Grounds, throw in at 2.45pm. Both games are against Carlow, so they might bring a crowd. Soccer kicks off at 5.15pm across the road in Thomond Park. It's being televised on RTE2. So a good day out for all Limerick supporters. It's also mothers day, so don't forget to bring her!

Oh that's good, someone told me the hurling was on at 12.45pm. Nice to see the county board are more sensible than I thought.

Should be a good day :D

Oh that's good, someone told me the hurling was on at 12.45pm. Nice to see the county board are more sensible than I thought.

Should be a good day :D

Looks like you were right with the throw in time for the hurling game at 12.45pm. The football game is now on after the hurling, with a throw in time of 2.30pm as per gaa.ie and hoganstand.com. Good idea having the hurling match first, more people will hang around to watch the football after the hurling rather than vice versa. I was originally working off the fixture list on hoganstand website, but I see that has now been amended!

Teams for the games on Sunday:

Hurling
    1. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    5. Cathal King (Na Piarsaigh)
    6. Donal O'Grady (capt) (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    7. Gavin O'Mahoney (Kilmallock)
    8. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    9. Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)
    10. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    11. Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher)
    12. David Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    14. Niall Moran (Ahane)
    15. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)

16. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)
    17. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    18. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    19. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    20. Conor Allis (Croom)
    21. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    22. Paudie Ahern (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    23. Shane O'Neill (South Liberties)
    24. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    25. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    26. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)

Good amount of changes after the Antrim game, which was a bit of a disappointment. Nice to see he's trying new players, that's what the league is for, as we should be good enough to win anyway. Alan Dempsey and Cathal King both have big chances to prove themselves... Niall Moran and David Breen are back in, Murphy's in goal because of Quaid's injury, Hennessy on the bench. Hickey continues at centre-forward, looks like he'll persist with that... Paul Browne gets his chance again and Seanie Tobin is a good player to have.

Dowling and Downes are probably the most interesting decisions to get dropped, but it's not a huge surprise either, it's good to have competition. The two of them, Allis, Ryan, Wayne Mac and Walsh will all be in contention for places for the Dublin game anyway, but we'll see how the new players do.

Football
    1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin's)
    2. Cian Coady (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Johnny McCarthy ( St. Kieran's)
    4. Mark O'Riordan (Croom)
    5. Stephen Lavin (Adare)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Darragh Treacy (St. Kieran's)
    9. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    10. James O'Meara (Ballysteen)
    11. John Riordan (Fr. Casey's)
    12. Seamus O'Carroll (Parnell’s London)
    13. Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    14. Eoghan O'Connor (St.Mary's/Sean Finns)
    15. Ian Ryan (capt) (St. Senan's)

16. Donal O'Sullivan (Monaleen)
    17. Mike O'Keeffe (Newcastle West)
    18. Lorcan O'Dwyer (Pallasgreen)
    19. Damian Quaid (St. Mary's/Sean Finns)
    20. Mike Sheehan (Fr. Casey's)
    21. Andy Lane (St. Senan's)
    22. Sean Sheehan (St. Mary's/Sean Finns)
    23. Ian Corbett (Newcastle West)
    24. Derry O'Connor (Fr. Casey's)
    25. Danny Neville (Ballysteen)
    26. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher/Broadford)

Horan seems to have a set team in his mind at this stage...McCarthy back in after missing the last day, but we do have decent defensive cover in O'Dwyer and I rate Sheehan too, while I'm sure someone like Buckley/O'Meara could provide an extra man defensively too. Darragh Treacy is in for Bobby O'Brien who must be injured...midfield is still a bit of a problem when our players tire, he needs to use Corbett and Buckley from the bench properly. But when we have Galvin and Donovan back, it will be one of our strongest areas. Think we need to score a bit more frequently, seem to be making hard work of things... Buckley might get a starting place soon, although O'Meara has impressed and Stephen Kelly is also still to come back.

I reckon we should win both games tbh, football will probably be very close.

Bobby O'Brien has University commitments in Scotland this week. Treacy is quite a good replacement.

P.S. rumour has it that the 'legend' may return for the away game in London.
    Hopefully will return to his best again in the No.9 jersey.

The news could scarcely be worse for the hurlers

DOG has broken his shoulder, so we head to dub in 6 days without captain and our most vunerable position opened up.

3 goals have papered over what seems like a lacklustre first half, listening in on the radio.

• Advertisement

3 point win, Carlow should have drawn in last minute apparently, sounded dreadful. On this form dub will win by 10, lets see, seriously need to man up next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement