Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Two wins from two but not looking good so far. Much too dependent on Declan Hannon in both games. Most of our forwards have been very poor compared to the standard they set lasy year.

I'd like to see one of Declan Hannon or Seamus Hickey fill in at centre back, hopefully Hickey, waste of time playing him in the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

jordainius wrote: »
    Two wins from two but not looking good so far. Much too dependent on Declan Hannon in both games. Most of our forwards have been very poor compared to the standard they set lasy year.

I'd like to see one of Declan Hannon or Seamus Hickey fill in at centre back, hopefully Hickey, waste of time playing him in the half forward line.
    Hickey is full of running, effort and work rate and is playing very well and causing trouble when he gets on the ball. It doesn't change though that he so obviously looks like a player that's caged at half forward and that he would have a huge impact at midfield.

A lot of players today were very poor, our forwards in particular were a weak unit. In saying that we are not getting any good ball in to our full forward line in the two matches so far .

Looking at the panel there I'd like to see hickey go centre back. Definitely not Hannon. However, what will probable happen is Wayne Mc will be 6. With options there so light, how can James O'Brien of na Piarsaigh not be on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

jordainius wrote: »

Not sure why you'd want to put your best attacker in defense?

Not sure why you'd want to put your best attacker in defense?

I've seen him play full forward, and across the half forward, midfield and half back positions. He's a very versatile hurler and played most of his underage hurling at centre back, he played there for Mary I in the Fitzgibbon cup this year. I'd see him as our best all round hurler first, then best attacker. I think putting Hannon at centre back would be the least risky option. With O'Grady injured, I don't think we now have a single player with experience of playing at 6 at this level.

I know it won't happen though, the way the team is playing at present it's probably too big a risk to move our most in form forward into the defence. I'd just like to see Hannon tried there at some stage. Now isn't the time. I believe we'll see Wayne McNamara there. Probably King-McNamara-O'Mahony, hopefully Hickey-McNamara-O'Mahony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hurling was shocking, we were really poor. Hannon, Hickey and Dempsey among the only bright sparks. Losing DOG is another big blow..... I wouldn't mind seeing GOM there, think he has the skillset. Allis played there for UCD, worth a shot?

I'd move Hannon back if we had more natural scorers but he pretty much won us the game on his own today, so I don't think we can risk it. I'd consider Hickey but he did well today.

Football....well, they did what they had to do. Carlow are a decent enough side, they made us dig deep, work very hard but we got there. Think we find it hard to get scores at times, which is something we need to work on. But it's 4 from 4 and we have some very good players in the team, and they all work extremely hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hurling was shocking, we were really poor. Hannon, Hickey and Dempsey among the only bright sparks. Losing DOG is another big blow..... I wouldn't mind seeing GOM there, think he has the skillset. Allis played there for UCD, worth a shot?

I'd move Hannon back if we had more natural scorers but he pretty much won us the game on his own today, so I don't think we can risk it. I'd consider Hickey but he did well today.

Football....well, they did what they had to do. Carlow are a decent enough side, they made us dig deep, work very hard but we got there. Think we find it hard to get scores at times, which is something we need to work on. But it's 4 from 4 and we have some very good players in the team, and they all work extremely hard.

From Carlow and was at both too.
    Was surprised how bad limerick hurlers were, that mad spell where our backs fell apart and let in the 3 goals apart, Carlow were the better side.

Scored more points, hit harder and played a nice mix of handpassing out of trouble/set up a score.
    Hannon was the difference, he was quality, and we tried 3 different guys on him. But apart from him, not much else.
    That last min 1 0n 1 where our forward cudn't lift the sliotar cos of the crappy conditions cost us a draw.

Very lucky win for Limerick

The football was same old story for us. Very good defensive, but no scoring power at all. Poor game, standard was typical div 4. And with our negative manager we play 2 inside fwds, 2 half fwds and 10 mf/dfs. Worked for most of the game, but got caught right at the end.
    Horrible to see such negative play, and even last week while 6 pts down v Leitrim Rainbow still played a 7 man backline.

Carlow with Rainbow are going nowhere...don't be surprised if we lose our last 3 and end up on 4 pts. Limerick weren't great, and have the tougher games ahead.

^There was actually a decent amount of Carlow fans considering, or at least they were pretty vocal.

I was really impressed with the passing of your hurlers, Kavanagh ran the game really, he's a really good player, great vision and is a good score-taker. Missed a few frees you'd expect him to get though...although Hannon did the same.

If Marty Kavanagh had been playing, might have made a difference.

As for the football, I didn't think it was that bad a game. The first half was pretty good and the conditions were poor. I mean every team in the country plays with a tight defence these days, and I was actually really impressed with both defences. Limerick didn't panic though, and drew the frees needed to win the game.

Oh yeah, I did reports of both games at the weekend. Probably overly long, but shur... when I'm not at a match, I like the detailed match reports, gives me a better idea of what happened.

Hurling:
    http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-hurling-league-division-1b-report-limerick-vs-carlow/

Football:
    http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-division-4-report-limerick-vs-carlow/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

^ Great reports of both games. You have great knowledge of the players we were missing in both codes and how important they are etc.

Most articles I read about Carlow only know Brendan Murphy for footballers and have no idea about any of our hurlers at all.

Have saved that site in my faves and will check in every week. Good work, keep it up.

Cheers! I try to do a bit of research before writing so I can at least pretend to know what I'm talking about :p

• Advertisement

Hurling Team V Dublin
    1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    5. Paudie O’Brien (Kilmallock) (Captain)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    7. Gavin O’Mahoney (Kilmallock)
    8. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    9. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    10. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    11. Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher)
    12. David Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)

16. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    17. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    18. Cathal King (Na Piarsaigh)
    19. Niall Moran (Ahane)
    20. Conor Allis (Croom)
    21. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)
    22. Paudie Ahern (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    23. Shane O’Neill (South Liberties)
    24. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    25. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)
    26. David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)

Nicky Quaid back in goals.
    Stephen Walsh replaces Alan Dempsey. Bit harsh on Dempsey, thought he was good.
    Wayne Mac replaces the injured DOG at centre-back. Not surprising, but I would have tried GOM tbqh.
    Paudie O'Brien back at wing-back, James Ryan in at midfield, Cathal King on the bench. Didn't think King was impressive, but O'Brien is probably better in midfield, think Hickey could be moved back.
    Downes and Dowling back in the team for Moran and Tobin who weren't impressive. The two Na Piarsaigh men have to step it up though.
    Would have given Allis another go at wing-forward or midfield though.

Hurling Team V Dublin
    Nicky Quaid back in goals.
    Stephen Walsh replaces Alan Dempsey. Bit harsh on Dempsey, thought he was good.
    Wayne Mac replaces the injured DOG at centre-back. Not surprising, but I would have tried GOM tbqh.
    Paudie O'Brien back at wing-back, James Ryan in at midfield, Cathal King on the bench. Didn't think King was impressive, but O'Brien is probably better in midfield, think Hickey could be moved back.
    Downes and Dowling back in the team for Moran and Tobin who weren't impressive. The two Na Piarsaigh men have to step it up though.
    Would have given Allis another go at wing-forward or midfield though.

Allen said in the leader before the league that they would be picking based on form, if that's true how could Dempsey be dropped?? He was one of only three players to perform well v Carlow. Harsh call on him but I expect him to force his way into the team yet. Would also like to get a look at Carmody.
    Wayne Mc is prob the safest option for this game. I'd probably have gone with Hickey but Allen seems dead nuts on leaving him at 11. GOM not physical enough or strong enough in the air for 6 I think.
    I really like the look of that full forward line. Corner is where Downes should be played and he needs a run of games now to get back to top form. Dowling full forward is good, if he is not in the half forward line then full forward is the only place for him, he's wasted in the corner. Hopefully the three in the full forward line see some decent ball and perform well.
    Hope Allis gets a run too.

Football Team v Dublin
    1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin's)
    2. Cian Coady (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran's)
    4. Mark O'Riordan (Croom)
    5. Stephen Lavin (Adare)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr.Casey's)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Darragh Treacey (St. Kieran's)
    9. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    10. James O'Meara (Ballysteen)
    11. John Riordan (Fr. Casey's)
    12. Seamus O'Carroll (Cappagh/Kilcornan)
    13. Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    14. Eoghan O'Connor (St. Mary's/Sean Finn's)
    15. Ian Ryan (St. Senan's) (Captain)

Same team as far as I can see, hopefully it's good enough to win 5 from 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Munster46

Is anyone going up to the match in Dublin tomorrow?

I'll be giving it a miss, going to stay at home and go to the football instead :p

I heard it's ticket only though??

Really ? So is there any point of me going up tomorrow without a ticket?

From the Limerick GAA facebook page
    Limerick v Dublin in Croke Park at 5pm on Saturday will by ticket only.
    Our senior hurlers will take on Dublin in Croke Park in the Allianz hurling league on this Saturday evening at 5pm with James Owens of Wexford the referee. As part of a double headed as Dublin footballers take on Armaghat 7pm. Entry to this game will be by ticket only and tickets can be got from the Limerick Gaelic grounds 061-326500 The price of tickets are as follows Adult €13 Senior Citizens and Students €10 and Un.16s €5.

To be honest, I really doubt it'll be full (and I'm fairly sure Dublin footballers aren't playing Armagh, so maybe the accuracy is in question).

I'd ask in the Dublin thread, there are probably places you can get tickets around the ground.

I dunno what I will do , I don't want to take the chance by going up and not being able to get a ticket :P

Bit of a preview ahead of the football game today, really important game for both teams, Limerick can pretty much guarantee promotion with a win.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-limerick-vs-tipperary/

I don't know if they'll do it, the margin of victory has been so so close in previous games that you'd wonder how they'll do against a strong team. Tipperary may have lost twice but I still think they're the best team Limerick have faced yet. I'd be really impressed with a win here, in any circumstances.

And hurling:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-hurling-league-preview-dublin-vs-limerick/

Really not optimistic about this one, if we play like we did the last couple of times, we definitely will lose, and it could be bad. If things click...well then maybe we'll win but I doubt they will, it took us till the Championship to get going last year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

That forward line looks full of potential, if they don't click Allen must be shown the door

That forward line looks full of potential, if they don't click Allen must be shown the door

Bit early in the year for that kind of talk isn't it?!

Disappointing from the footballers, lost by 6 to Tipp, missed 2 penalties.

Currently beating Dublin by 3 in hurling, 10 mins left, only just started listening.

Great win for the hurlers, beat Dublin in Croke Park by 6 points. Didn't expect that at all, sounds like it was a huge improvement after a poor start. Hannon, Downes, Mulcahy and Moran all scored multiple points from play....Dowling got taken off early though.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Great win for the hurlers, beat Dublin in Croke Park by 6 points. Didn't expect that at all, sounds like it was a huge improvement after a poor start. Hannon, Downes, Mulcahy and Moran all scored multiple points from play....Dowling got taken off early though.

Paul Ryan being sent off had a big bearing on the match.

jjjd wrote: »
    Paul Ryan being sent off had a big bearing on the match.

And apparently Dublin missed a few goal chances?

Still though, the fact that we scored 1-21 against a good team and that someone apart from Hannon was able to score a few is good news.

Downes coming back to form, mulcahy moran and downes will be a lethal line come summer. As for Hannon, class. A few players to come back in and a few areas in need of work but plenty of positives to be getting on with. Hon Limerick!

Dowling to be dropped for the big matches? Really hope he can re-find his form, he's a very talented player.

Footballers found it very hard to score today, some of the attacking play was very poor. Ryan was well-held by McDonald; Collins and O'Connor were good but they were the only ones who were.....if they didn't take the shot on, no one else was going to. It's something that has to be worked on. And we don't look like scoring goals. Missing 2 penalties is fairly awful, and the thing is..... you almost knew it was going to happen.

Buckley was good off the bench too, having him and Kelly back in the team will be a big boost, not to mention Galvin and Donovan (although Treacy was good today).

We did play well at times, but at a crucial stage, Tipp started winning all the breaking ball and were able to score a couple of points without reply.....and when we had the ball, we overworked it, allowing them to get men back and they intercepted our final pass. I expect them to get the final now, hopefully we'll be there too. But we'll need an improvement if we're to beat them, and certainly if we are to give Cork a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Dub definitely missed a few goals that in championship hurling would be buried.

Dont think the sending off had a massive bearing, the come back was on and we were comimg strong we were going away from them in the end.

Both breen and hickey missed points from 30 yards, that wont stack up come championship, either allis or dowling (hopefully he regains his form) needs to come in at half forward.

Didnt see much of game so cant comment much other than well done and delighted with the win

• Advertisement

Dowling will come back to form, don't have any fear of that. What I don't like is that he seems to only be being considered for the full forward line, we need to accommodate all our best players to start. Wouldn't like to see any of Moran, downes or dowling starting on the bench. Hickey at half forward is taking up a space for another quality player while he could be better used elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement