Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Need a point against Clare to guarantee a place in the football final.

There are plenty of problems to rectify in both codes, but we're still top of the table in both. I'm sure both Allen and Horan know they have lots to work on.

Sounds like we were very lucky in London. Apparently they scored from a '45, but the ref made him retake it and he missed...would have levelled it.

If we do happen to win the final, and Waterford beat Galway, then we'll be playing Waterford in a semi-final. I'd love a crack off someone like Waterford. Anyone but Kilkenny really, I don't want to play them in a semi-final. (And I'm sick of playing Clare...3 or 4 times last year? Although they seem to be going well this year, would be a good test).

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Sounds like we were very lucky in London. Apparently they scored from a '45, but the ref made him retake it and he missed...would have levelled it.

If we do happen to win the final, and Waterford beat Galway, then we'll be playing Waterford in a semi-final. I'd love a crack off someone like Waterford. Anyone but Kilkenny really, I don't want to play them in a semi-final. (And I'm sick of playing Clare...3 or 4 times last year? Although they seem to be going well this year, would be a good test).

Waterford are at home to Galway and don't Galway have a terrible track record against Waterford? So it could pan out that Limerick will face Waterford and I'd fancy Limerick to beat them.

In the football Limerick play away to Clare in Ennis and Offaly are at home to Tipperary on the final day. So any two of the four could make the final. (I'm assuming Clare will beat London in Ennis next weekend). With Buckley and Galvin back you'd expect Limerick to beat Clare, but a draw will suffice to ensure promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

jjjd wrote: »
    Waterford are at home to Galway and don't Galway have a terrible track record against Waterford? So it could pan out that Limerick will face Waterford and I'd fancy Limerick to beat them.

In the football Limerick play away to Clare in Ennis and Offaly are at home to Tipperary on the final day. So any two of the four could make the final. (I'm assuming Clare will beat London in Ennis next weekend). With Buckley and Galvin back you'd expect Limerick to beat Clare, but a draw will suffice to ensure promotion.

Dont normally jump in on other county's threads but Im sick of this shyte from people in other counties and from hurling pundits of people underestimating Waterford and ''fancying a crack at them''. We have been consistently written off this year and again today where no one was giving us a shout.. sure we have had our off days over the years in some big games but i tell you if you want to beat us in a big game you are going to have to earn it.

WumBuster wrote: »
    Dont normally jump in on other county's threads but Im sick of this shyte from people in other counties and from hurling pundits of people underestimating Waterford and ''fancying a crack at them''. We have been consistently written off this year and again today where no one was giving us a shout.. sure we have had our off days over the years in some big games but i tell you if you want to beat us in a big game you are going to have to earn it.

I think you have to take into account that being in the 2nd tier for 3 years, we want a crack off any of the bigger teams at this time of year.

And as I said above, I want to play anyone but Kilkenny tbqh...we seem to have a mental block about them (as a lot of teams do). I can't remember the last time we beat Kilkenny in a senior game.

If Waterford finish top of the league, it's something they deserve....and we'll be under no illusions that it won't be an easy game, Waterford will be favourites, it'll be tougher than any game we've faced this year. But I don't think it's something aimed at Waterford in particular.....we'd fancy our chances of beating Cork, Clare and Tipp too. It's just looking like it will be Waterford.

I don't think any offence was meant, shur, we love Waterford in Limerick :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Oh will you calm down and stop talking rubbish and quit taking things the wrong way.

Nobody is "underestimating" Waterford, however, based on recent years, Waterford would be a preferential opponent to any of Kilkenny, Tipperary and Galway.

So calm yourself down and tone down the paranoia, and take a moment to think about the context in which things are very obviously meant.

Think you're over-reacting there a small bit WumBuster! All I meant was that I'd love if Limerick got Waterford, not that it will be an easy game for us to win. It's just that we're sick of playing Clare and seem to have a mental block against Kilkenny. We know Tipp only too well and don't have a great record against Cork or Galway. I'd fancy Limerick to give anyone a game with the exception of Kilkenny at the moment. If I'm perfectly honest, in my opinion, of which I am entitled, I feel Limerick have the best chance of beating Waterford than anyone else in Division 1B. That's not the same as as you thinking we will under-estimate Waterford. It's more that Limerick have a better record against Waterford than we have with the other counties.

Think you're over-reacting there a small bit WumBuster! All I meant was that I'd love if Limerick got Waterford, not that it will be an easy game for us to win. It's just that we're sick of playing Clare and seem to have a mental block against Kilkenny. We know Tipp only too well and don't have a great record against Cork or Galway. I'd fancy Limerick to give anyone a game with the exception of Kilkenny at the moment. If I'm perfectly honest, in my opinion, of which I am entitled, I feel Limerick have the best chance of beating Waterford than anyone else in Division 1B. That's not the same as as you thinking we will under-estimate Waterford. It's more that Limerick have a better record against Waterford than with the other counties.

No, no he's right, clearly you were stating that we would be guaranteed to beat Waterford and that it would be an easy victory..... :rolleyes: [/sarcasm]

I do think that we'd have a better chance of beating Cork or Galway than Waterford. Not sure about Tipp. But I would fancy our chances against Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Look lads I understand what ye mean its just for years I have been listening to others teams like Cork and Tipp fans in particular underestimate us in big games that they'd only have to turn up to beat us, shur Tom dempsey has even predicted that we are going to get relegated even after todays win..maybe my frustration have just boiled over..anyway if we do meet Limerick in a league semi final Im sure both teams would fancy their chances, games between them seem to be always close anyway and could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Waterford have surprised me this year especially with the loss of Mullane. They deserve their semi final spot if they get it (but beware Galway - they won't want to be relegated and may have the Thomas' crew back for it). As for KK, Lim should want to meet them. They were very poor today against Clare who threw the game away. Injuries are taking their toll. Hopefully it will be third time lucky for Limerick and they will reach the top tier - badly need a run of games against the top sides

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fedman

Lads, a word of warning. I believe we're in the league final but before ye start discussing who we may meet in the semi final, don't forget that Dublin will have to be beaten before all that rubbish talk about who ye'd prefer to meet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fedman wrote: »
    Lads, a word of warning. I believe we're in the league final but before ye start discussing who we may meet in the semi final, don't forget that Dublin will have to be beaten before all that rubbish talk about who ye'd prefer to meet.

Sure half the fun of sports chat is getting your hopes up and letting your imagination run a bit!

That's fair enough, I expect Dublin to be a lot better in the final than they were the last day. Can't give them the same goal chances and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

We will comfortably beat Dublin.

The U-21 football team for the Munster semi-final against Cork on Wednesday evening has been named:

1. James Brudair (Mountcollins)
    2. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins)
    3. James O’Meara (Ballysteen)
    4. Brendan McCarthy (St Kieran's)
    5. Paul White (St Mary's Sean Finn's)
    6. Iain Corbett (Newcastle West)
    7. Sean Barrett (Kilmallock)
    8. Darragh Treacy (St Kieran's)
    9. Patrick O’Donnell (Galbally)
    10. Sean Sheahan (St Mary's/Sean Finn's)
    11. Micheal Brosnan (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    12. Danny Frewen (Ballylanders)
    13. Danny Neville (Ballysteen)
    14. Francis O’Riordan (St Senan's)
    15. Peter Nash (Kildimo/Pallaskenery)

Subs:
    16. James O’Meara (Fr Casey's)
    17. Bill Creamer (Cappamore)
    18. Kieran Larkin (Banogue)
    19. Jamie Lee (Newcastle West)
    20. Kevin Meade (St Kieran's)
    21. Brian Noonan (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    22. Denis O’Dea (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    23. Kevin O’Donoghue (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    24. Mike O’Leary (Newcastle West)

Other panel members:
    Tommie Griffin (Gerald Griffins)
    Shane Irwin (Bruff)
    Steven Power (St Mary's/Sean Finn's)
    Shane O’Connor (Fr Casey's)

I don't really rate our chances that much, this Cork team are supposed to be very strong, and we really don't have the strength in depth to compete. And the organisation of Limerick underage football teams has been pretty shambolic for quite a while. If we can compete, and keep it close, give them a game, that would be good.

Few players have been among senior panels-
    Brudair was the sub goalie with Scanlon out.
    O'Meara has started in most of the league, he should hold the defence together at full-back.
    Corbett has made a big impact when he's come off the bench for the seniors, he's a strong runner, well able to win possession, not sure of his actual best position.
    Darragh Treacy was a very competent replacement for Bobby O'Brien, doesn't look out of place in a senior intercounty midfield....again lots of pace and ball-winning ability.
    Sean Sheahan hasn't actually played in the league, but is a handy enough player, hopefully he'll be able to feed our inside forward line.
    And Danny Neville is similar, but is a very talented player, I'd say he'll be the main scoregetter.

As for the others, Brosnan and O'Riordan down the middle are supposed to be good players, I've always been impressed by Danny Frewen too, scores plenty for Ballylanders. Peter Nash is a lively player too.

On the bench, both Bill Creamer and Jamie Lee should be able to make an impact but Shane O'Connor and Tommy Griffin are out injured, both probably would have started.

Doubt our team has the necessary organisation to compete Cork, who are bound to be ahead of us in that department, I wouldn't be surprised if they were faster, fitter, stronger, with a better gameplan....and will also simply have more quality in their squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Are limerick in the all ireland series or christy ring this year?

dzilla wrote: »

Limerick will NEVER be a Christy Ring team. Mark my words.

Limerick will NEVER be a Christy Ring team. Mark my words.

So your not. How is the league going this year?

So your not. How is the league going this year?

4 wins from 4. Into Division 1B league final. It will be great to kick on from there, gain promotion to Division 1A and win the Division 1 league outright.

• Advertisement

U-21s lost last night, 2-14 to 0-11. Didn't see it but apparently the score flattered Cork a little. Only losing by a goal at half-time, it just seems that Cork's forwards had that extra killer touch.

Oh great, you've returned to the site.....

With a place in the final secure, Allen has made lots of changes for the last game against Wexford. I think it's good, get to have a look at some fringe players against a decent side. If we win, I'll be delighted...and hopefully a couple of players can put their hands up for selection.

1. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    4. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    5. Cathal King (Na Piarsaigh)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)(Captain)
    7. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    8. Conor Allis (Croom)
    9. James Ryan (Garryspillane)
    10. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Paudie Ahern (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    12. Niall Moran (Ahane)
    13. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)
    14. Tommy Quaid (Effin)
    15. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)

16. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    17. Shane O’Neill (South Liberties)
    18. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    19. Paudie O’Brien (Kilmallock)
    20. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    21. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    22. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    23. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    24. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    25. David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)

Fairly happy with that...Dempsey gets another chance, along with Carmody who impressed the last day.

King didn't do great against Carlow but again, gets another chance. That would seemingly ahead of Ryan in the pecking order, who impressed last year.

I'm liking the test of Allis in midfield...although it's a pity Hickey wasn't given one game there. Is he injured? Not in the squad at all.

Dowling on the wing, with another chance to recapture his form. I'm also happy enough to see Moran on the wing, I think he's a good ball-winner and if we are stuck, he could end up there. Big game for Ahern too.

Up front, Tobin seems to have lost his place in the team, he'll be eager to make an impression... I think on his day he's a very dangerous player. Never been overly impressed with Quaid but Allen seems to like him and at least he's capable of taking a score. Really hoping Breen makes an impression though, had a great season at club level last year and scored a good few for the U-21s recently, so I think he could make an impact in the Championship this year.

If Wexford play a full-strength team, we may find it hard to win. But we do have lots of depth on the bench. Hannon, Mulcahy, Downes, O'Brien, Condon could change the game if they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Hickey shipped some very heavy knocks in Tullamore last Sunday. May be injured thus explaining his absence this week. Only guessing BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Good to see plenty of changes, gives squad members a deserved chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I guess only negatives of league are no use of begley who i'm sure got named in a squad earlier in the year (who's back up FB) and non selection of J O'Brien.

Could also criticise hickey at 11 but we're 4/4, lets see how this goes in more high profile matches

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Fireball07 wrote: »
    U-21s lost last night, 2-14 to 0-11. Didn't see it but apparently the score flattered Cork a little. Only losing by a goal at half-time, it just seems that Cork's forwards had that extra killer touch.

Cork missed a half a dozen goal chances...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I guess only negatives of league are no use of begley who i'm sure got named in a squad earlier in the year (who's back up FB) and non selection of J O'Brien.

Could also criticise hickey at 11 but we're 4/4, lets see how this goes in more high profile matches
    Is begley still on the panel? I think every player on the panel will have gotten a game now with this match? I've said before O'Brien should absolutely be on that panel if not the team based on club performances but he may have other commitments this year, I still think he's one for the future.

I think most supporters would prefer to see hickey further back but I admit its not going that bad, and maybe his energy and tackling are what Allen wanted up around the forwards after giving out about their workrate once or twice. My major problem with it is that Hickey at 11 is going to force a quality player to lose out. Maybe Allis or Dowling.

You'd have to be pleased with the league all in all. I expect we will beat Dublin in the 1B final. My reasoning is that limerick are a far better team now than they were when dublin beat them in 2011, while dublin if anything have gone backwards. If we do beat them the extra matches at a higher standard will do us good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Orizio wrote: »
    Cork missed a half a dozen goal chances...
    yeah cork missed a load of scoring chances mainly in the first half.
    It was not so much cork lacked a killer instinct as they went for goals but more so besides O Rourke and Hurley and the sub Vaughan the rest of the forwards were off form.
    While Limerick battled bravely Cork were never in danger of loosing and could have won by a lot more,Limerick can thank there goalkeeper who made some good saves,otherwise it would of been more than a 9 points defeat.

• Advertisement

4 wins from 4. Into Division 1B league final. It will be great to kick on from there, gain promotion to Division 1A and win the Division 1 league outright.

Excellent i see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement