Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

We beat Wexford in Doon, 1-23 to 2-14 but I didn't hear anything about how we played, or what was the team or anything.

As for the team for next week, I'm not sure...I'd guess it will largely be a strong side, with maybe 3 or 4 trials, or fringe players. Realistically, we have to try a few things before the Tipp game, the team against Dublin needs to be improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Sound for the information,Fireball.I hope it is a strong Limerick side,as challenges are of no real benfit to Cork but it is all if we have got at this stage to the end of June.
    I actually think limerick have the bones of a really good side but ye wont do much under Allen.How we could do with a Hannon or a Downes.There two savage players but Allen has no idea how to get the best from them.
    Id give yere under 21 team a much better chance of a Munster title,under TJ Ryan.He was very highly rated in Kilworth.I would not be suprised if they beat tipp in 4 weeks time,even in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Ye won't beat them in Thurles unless the match goes to a replay. It is on in the Gaelic Grounds.

Ye won't beat them in Thurles unless the match goes to a replay. It is on in the Gaelic Grounds.

Wrong.
    The U21 match that i referred to is on in thurles at the end of May.The match has been brought forward a week.
    I'm not a Limerick man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Cork 5-14
    limerick 2-17

A 6 point loss, in truth it was much more than that.

Cork had 5 c'ship starts on we had 10 starting and all of our first 15 got game time. (Both carmody and allis were down to start, neither started or played at all, anyone know why?)

Three main reasons we lost tonight

first cork played as a team we played as individuals

secondly the puck outs, in a tight pitch like that conceding the puckouts to the full back/half back line was a fcuking joke, the ball came out of our forwards line far too easy with cork getting easy ball deep in our half flooding forward and picking up easy scores - this lead to 3 goals the other two was from poor defending

thirdly cork were far quicker of foot and thought, they were nippier and faster in a tight pitch, and could work their way out of trouble. In contrast our players looked fairly lethargic.

As for individual performances

Firstly seanie tobin, about our only gameplan was to get some low good ball into him. First ball scored a good point from out wide. 2nd ball should have took his man as he had 30 yards of space to run into instead went for speculative score under pressure it went well wide. 3rd ball had the ball in hand james ryan made a great run instead of laying the ball off for what should have been a certain score he went for a point under pressure and ball was a long way wide. This was indicitive of most players 1 step forward 2 steps back.

I'll try and be more positive

In tomas ryan from the liberties we have a championship player. Started half back and was brilliant destroyed his man was our best player all night. Has pace and reads the game well. Moved to midfield in second half wasnt as effective but still good. would like to see him at halfback with paudie starting at midfield.

Shane dowling just might be coming back to form, scored 1 and worked hard, be interesting to see how he goes in club c'ship (i presume theres a round or 2 of club games prior to june 9)

Hannon started at CF stayed there all night was pretty good but still missed 2 handy frees, has to start their c'ship

Aaron murphy, conceded 5 had no chance on 4. The other he should have saved. I thought he stopped one bullet but brother says it hit crossbar, not sure. He'll be disappointed, quaid will start c'ship.

Full back line played ok with dempsey being the pick

half back line mixed bag from the 2 more experienced fellas with ryan exceling

8 - Jimbob, mixed good and bad

9 - cathal king - very ineffectual, not a good night for the lad

12 -Paudie aherne - very ineffectual, not a good night for the lad

10 Reidy - good game, scored a couple of points was lively looked a fella who could step up

15 - downes, exact same as tobin one step forward 2 back. this guy has me pulling my hair out

Subs-

POB played at half back was very good want to see him pushed to midfield

seamus hickey - Had a big impact, much better at half than centre. has pace and athleticism to trouble teams wasnt perfect as he's more of an athlete than an out and out hurler, still want him at midfield.

Tommy quaid - hit one good point, good enough effort

Niall moran - big impact scored a goal, showed for the ball well, id start him FF for c'ship

David breen - missed 2 goals no other way to put simply doesnt have the hands or killer instinct for this level. Has to sub for c'ship

Overall very dissapointing night, link play was very poor, incoherent, Tomas ryan was excellent. Hickey and moran off the bench were positives. Far too many players mixed the good with the bad.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy,superb report.Im a cork man but couldnt make it as was at the football final.
    Was it like a challenge match,in terms of loose hurling,lot of space or was their any intensity to it.???
    How did Ellis our centre back and our full back Mcdonnell do.
    Any Cork players stand out.
    It is hard to read too much in to challenges but if Cork can do that to limerick,we are not in great shape,signs are worrying for limerick.
    The game against Kilkenny on the 19th will tell a lot.

Could nt really comment on any cork individuals as i was watching our own lads.

Overall cork were sharp, supported each other, linked well, took their chances and were well worth the win.

The centre back played well but has to be weighed against a bad limerick performance.

Intensity was fairly low, cant help but think, mallow or charleville as venues would have got a bigger crowd out.

Could nt really comment on any cork individuals as i was watching our own lads.

Overall cork were sharp, supported each other, linked well, took their chances and were well worth the win.

The centre back played well but has to be weighed against a bad limerick performance.

Intensity was fairly low, cant help but think, mallow or charleville as venues would have got a bigger crowd out.
    Fair enough,thanks for the info.
    yeah as i thought,challenge games have to be taken with a pinch of salt.Loosing them is not good though.4 years ago in Castletownroche Cork beat Limerick too but we were still awful for the championship.
    I agree mallow or chareville be ideal.
    Newtownshandrum have a fine ptich and would be ideal for both counties too.Cork and limerick played in a challenge match there midweek a few years backs.It was madness to play it the same time as Cork footballers played.
    Like if the game was even at 3 or 4 like Limerick and Wexford was last week,people could have went to both.
    It would not be too far to travel from kilworth to limerick after the football.
    Id fear for Limerick this year under Allen.He has more talent in the forwards than JBM but has not got any idea how to use it.On the other hand Cork have a better Coach but lacking ball winners that limerick have.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Great report Paddy cheers!

Vaguely positive too despite the score, signs of Moran and dowling returning to form. And if Dempsey and Ryan did as well as reported that's good too, i'd rate both highly and one or both should be starting come summer.

Great report paddy...disappointing result, performance didn't sound great...but I'd always hope we up our game big time for the Championship. Definitely think there needs to be a few adjustments to the starting team, definitely would take a look at Ryan at half-back. Frees up players like Paudie to play midfield/half-forward.

Ian Ryan out for the football against Cork too..... that is going to be an absolutely massive blow. Thought he was really impressive in the final, he's a very solid free-taker and basically our top forward. While O'Connor and Buckley have been in good form, he's our main man. Can't see us winning without him tbh, and there wasn't a huge chance of that in the first place.

• Advertisement

Lar likely gone for the limerick match. None of the other tipp forwards really striking fear into me, though some changes are surely due. The alignment of the tipp backs the last day looked strange to me, there'll surely be some changes but there looked to be some weaknesses there. Will they all be addressed for the day in the Gaelic grounds? Tipp were within a goal of kk but didn't look quite a fearsome as I expected. With Lar gone too I'm having a sneaking feeling of optimism creeping back in. There's been some signs of players returning to form in recent challenge and club games, maybe they'll be right for the opening round and maybe Allen will pick a team that might spring a surprise on tipp...!

Lar likely gone for the limerick match. None of the other tipp forwards really striking fear into me, though some changes are surely due. The alignment of the tipp backs the last day looked strange to me, there'll surely be some changes but there looked to be some weaknesses there. Will they all be addressed for the day in the Gaelic grounds? Tipp were within a goal of kk but didn't look quite a fearsome as I expected. With Lar gone too I'm having a sneaking feeling of optimism creeping back in. There's been some signs of players returning to form in recent challenge and club games, maybe they'll be right for the opening round and maybe Allen will pick a team that might spring a surprise on tipp...!

Noel McGrath is class. And Bonner Maher is probably the best ball-winning forward in the country. And Eoin Kelly is always capable of something brilliant.

I certainly wouldn't be confident of holding them, Kilkenny held them well but then again, that's Kilkenny. But, our backs aren't a major problem, they're not top class but they're good.

The winning and losing of the game will be in midfield/our half-forward line. If Padraic Maher gets the same freedom that Liam Rushe got, he will destroy us. Brendan Maher was absolutely class against KK...and the likes of Shane McGrath will also cause us problems.

We need to pick a half-forward line who will challenge for every single ball, run themselves into the ground closing down...while also able to take on the Tipp defence. And midfield aswell...they can't slacken off at any stage. I reckon we have a chance but the selection, and use of the bench has to be perfect.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Great report paddy...disappointing result, performance didn't sound great...but I'd always hope we up our game big time for the Championship. Definitely think there needs to be a few adjustments to the starting team, definitely would take a look at Ryan at half-back. Frees up players like Paudie to play midfield/half-forward.

Ian Ryan out for the football against Cork too..... that is going to be an absolutely massive blow. Thought he was really impressive in the final, he's a very solid free-taker and basically our top forward. While O'Connor and Buckley have been in good form, he's our main man. Can't see us winning without him tbh, and there wasn't a huge chance of that in the first place.
    Ryan is a massive loss to the footballers,but he did not do particulary well 3 years ago ,against Cork and ye managed to give us a right scare then.Shields had the measure of him and held him scoreless when he was swtiched to mark him.
    Ger Collins was more dangerous and caused Ray Carey all sort of problems.
    Limerick played a two man full forward line but I dont think it will be as effective in 3 weeks time as Cork have decided that while they struggled to beat that system they have now joined forces and adopted the same style as many other counties.
    Cadogan is out for Cork so we will be weaker as Ray Carey probably will start.
    With Jamie Sullivan,Cadogan and Shields ,Cork had the best full back in the Country,as all 3 players were strong on the ball and in the air and that line was interchangable .
    Not so with Carey back in the corner.He is only good at corner back and in my view at he's best is only solid,he can be exposed.
    He is just back from the States and wont have had much football played,and Ger Collins could cause him problems.
    This will be a very close game.
    Corks new style of play combined with Limerick being exactly the same,it will be a low scoring game,and I have no doubt Limerick will be up for this game.
    Id be very suprised if either team scored more than 12 or 13 points.
    The eveing throw in time will only add to the tension and Limerick will feel they owe Cork one,and wont fear us at all.
    The fact that everyone will have Limerick as the underdog is a bonus to ye.If ye were favourites I would be a lot happier.
    When yere the underdog,yere like Munster in the rubgy ye always get an extra ten per cent out of yere lads.
    Addeed to the fact ,Andy Lane,McCarthy,Mark O Riordan,Paudie Ranahan,Stephen Lavin,John Galvin,Ger Collins and Seanie Buckley are all fine footballers and played against us 3 years ago,they wont fear Cork at all.
    It will be a very physical game and I'd expect both teams to lace in to each other,with so many big strong men on both teams.
    Aidan Walsh cleaned Galvin out at midfield in that game,it should be a good battle again.I'm a big fan of Galvin espiceally the way he has battled back from two cruciate injuries.I hope he is fit to play Cork.Cork know all too well about Cruciates and injuries.
    From the game in 2010 Cork will probably have Carey,Shields,O Sullivan, O Leary,Kissane, Canty at midfield but as a holding midfielder, Aidan Walsh,Ciaran Sheehan,Paul Kerrigan and Daniel Goulding all starting.
    Alan O Connor who came on as a sub will probably do likewise again.
    Mark Collins is set to start for Cork in the half forward line as Pa Kelly wont be fit,but Collins will spent most of the game in the half back line.Expect to see 12 Cork men behind the ball when Cork are defending.
    Their is every chance Brian Hurley who got 1-4 in the U21 final could start in the place of Colm O Neill.If he starts ,this guy is a serious talent.A big strong forward and very fast on the turn.
    Damien Cahalane may start at half back ,so Cork will be still be very strong ovsrall even with the injuries to Cadogan,O Neill,Kelly,and even though Carey is short on match fitness.
    Id expect Cork to edge it on the basis we have more forward power and a stronger bench.Ye could have beaten us in 2010 but had something like 25 wides and Collins missed two scoreable frees.
    I dont think Limerick have added any major scoring forward since then and that may cost ye again.Cork are well aware of the threat posed by limerick.
    The Gaelic Grounds has been awful for Cork the last month,getting relegated in the hurling and losing the U21 final here.
    I hope it is more of a case of third time lucky for Cork,rather than it comes in three's.
    Anbody that thinks Cork can just turn up and win this easily is totally wrong.
    Cork will have to play to their best as Limerick always do against us,if we dont we will be beaten.A lot of Cork fans are wary of Limerick.

Ian Ryan may have been held scoreless that day, and has been held a few times during the league. But another important factor is that he holds probably the opposition's strongest defender.

Having Eoghan O'Connor is a big boost from the team a few years ago, he was around then but has matured since then. He's very very fast and has taken on responsibility in a scoring sense, been in much better form than Collins tbh. We'll need Collins to step up though, with Ryan's absence. It's just Ryan has a much better all-round game than the other two, more naturally skilled imo + the freetaking.

Stephen Kelly didn't play during the league but I heard he was in excellent form for NCW recently, and he is a class player. If he was available, that would be a big boost.

If we are to have any chance of winning, we'll have to score goals. And it's something we found really really difficult throughout the league. We probably won't concede much unless there's some sort of collapse, but I find it hard to see how we'll outscore Cork, because we just move the ball too slowly in attack and find it hard to break down organised defences.

Having Galvin, and the likes of Lee/O'Brien/Treacy all available means we do have more midfield options than usual, although Jim Donovan probably won't make it. That ball-winning ability will help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Anyone intending to be at the 40th anniversary celebration next Sunday in Martinstown? Reckon it could be a decent crowd especially if KK bring a strong team. Haven't read anything about needing tickets but I doubt if the capacity is any more than 2-3000.

I'll be there

Reckon there'll be more than 3k myself. Slow sunday evening with no championship. Kilkenny will be a big draw in the middle of south limerick should be a good crowd. Plus i think a lot of people will go to this to guage if its worth their time to head to the tipp match in june.

Apparently cork rattled in 5 goals against tipp last night with joyce at CB again playing well so maybe our match against them wasnt as bad as i thought.

Almost looking forward to this in fact.

I'll be there

Reckon there'll be more than 3k myself. Slow sunday evening with no championship. Kilkenny will be a big draw in the middle of south limerick should be a good crowd. Plus i think a lot of people will go to this to guage if its worth their time to head to the tipp match in june.

Apparently cork rattled in 5 goals against tipp last night with joyce at CB again playing well so maybe our match against them wasnt as bad as i thought.

Almost looking forward to this in fact.
    Indie. wrote: »
    1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
    2. John O’Keeffe (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    3. Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    4. Donagh Maher (Burgess)
    5. Tomás Hamill (Killea)
    6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)
    7. James Barry (Upperchurch Drombane)

That was the defence, so I woudnt read too much in to it.Only 4 goals were from play.
    Tippereary are playing Waterford next weekend in their final challenge match.
    Regarding Joyce, he is a serious,serious player.All he needs is game time.He wont be the finished article this year.But in another year or two he will be.Everything you need in a CB he has it.He has that arrogance you need also in the spine of a team. All he needs is expierence and the only way he can get that is by playing.

Right, i left with 5 mins to go, just on the kilkenny goal, what was the final result?

We were 7 up then, an ok performance, the kilkenny team selection has to be taken into account.

The very good

Graham mulcahy is the best corner forward in the country, no idea what he scored tonight i dont know but it was lots

Richie mc is playing great stuff

POB is a mighty hurler, and a leader

Shane dowling is back

DOG is back

Seamus hickey played well again (i'll temper this by saying when tommy walsh came on he was a long way second best)

The good

Nicky - solid

Both corner backs - carmody and walsh (i think, neither team played as named, hard to track who was who)

Wayne mac and gavin were ok

Hannon, didnt miss from dead ball and we basically stopped scoring when he went off

Seanie tobin impoved from the cork game

The ok-bad

Cathal king not a full forward in fairness

Browne and jimbob just not good enough in midfield, browne played so much bad ball in it was unreal, he's tidy around the park and hit 2 points but not a c'ship hurler. Jimbob is a bit out of sorts.

Breen not good

downes not good

Aherne on over tomas ryan, really management?

The team effort was much better today, give good ball into 2 quality corner forwards and reap the reward.
    Niall moran has to start full forward, he gives direction and leadership that no other FF can give.

My team

Nicky
    carmody
    richie
    walsh or dempsey (hear condon is injured)
    paudie
    Wayne mc
    Gavin (needs to up his game a bit)
    DOG
    Ryan
    Dowling
    hannon
    hickey
    tobin
    moran
    mulcahy

(i think breen and jimbob will start and moran wont get the nod at FF)

Tipp to win by 4-7 points is my prediction for 3 weeks time

Hmm, nice report. I wasn't at the game but nice to hear there were some positives.

Condon would be a massive loss, if he is out, he's a class hurler. Would you start Carmody ahead of Dempsey/Walsh?? Personally, I think Dempsey is better than the other 2...and would have him and Condon if both were fit and available. And after all the doubting, Richie has been amazingly consistent for the past year and a bit.

Paudie is a class hurler, bit hard to know where he's best utilised. Great wing-back but at midfield, he'll score more. Still not 100% convinced by Wayne Mc at centre-back and GOM does need to up his game, but I think he will for the Championship. Ryan deserves a shot too, think he's a much better option than King or anyone else. Doubt we'll see Hickey in the half-back line either.

Midfield, we have lots of players, hard to know what combination is best. DOG, Hickey, Paudie, Allis, Ryan, Browne... if Allen is happy with Wayne centre-back, then DOG is a certainty obviously. Personally, I'd favour Allis there... I rate him very highly.

Good to hear Dowling was in-form, Hannon is another obvious one, he's our best player by a mile. Hickey has to play somewhere, he's a very talented player. I'd have both him and Allis playing...one in midfield, one at half-forward. Allis' pace caused Tipp lots of problems last year. Of course, Breen did the same.

Downes may have been poor, that is disappointing to hear but I'd keep faith with him tbh and play him alongside Moran and Graham Mul, who is genuine class...if he gets the right ball.

Carmody/Walsh, Tom Ryan, Jimbob/Browne, Tobin, Breen, maybe Tommy Quaid off the bench....it's a bit of impact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

what was the final result?

1-25 to 1-20 according to the radio, 1-25 to 1-19 according to the scoreboard.

• Advertisement

Thanks, bit disappointing to only win by 5 after being 11 up. But the subs fractured the game and toomy walsh is worth 5 points to any team.

We have 4 decent corner backs, honestly dont know which 2 are best, happy with any selection.

The thing about allis is he hasnt been named in the panel for the last 2 games, injured or what, anyone know if he togged out for croom last week. either way he wont be starting v tipp.

I only thing i would really disagree with is downes, has been very poor of late

Mul and tobin are an excellent combo and i believe moran as FF is the way to go, very convinced of this.

I think midfield will have a huge roll in our summer and browne cant start. think it will be jimbob and DOG, i'm ok with this but want ryan on 45 mins for jimbob.

Ok so, good run out, decent standard for a challenge game. Limerick were well organised and wanted it a bit more. Limerick lined out as announced, didn't get the programme so didn't see the kk team, I'm sure someone will throw it up.

Very good performances from Richie Mc, Paudie, Hannon, Hickey was good -and Mulcahy was lethal! The rest of the defence and attack was solid. Midfield was the weakest line but not too bad. Second half a lot of subs came in. Dempsey on for Walsh and was very good. Dodge at midfield, wasn't involved much. Dowling at wing forward, nailed his frees and scored from play but wasn't spectacular. Moran scored a good point. Downes, reidy and Aherne didn't see much ball. Tom Ryan scored a fine point. No sign of allis, injured? Overall it was a good performance, we looked well organised and our support play was very good. Only a challenge of course but it was encouraging.

Moran ahead of dowling I reckon. Ryan mixed good with bad today but probably still the best placed to partner O'Brien (or DOG presuming DOG comes back in at 6 or 8). Hickey went well on the wing, reckon he hannon and breen will be the half forward line, I'd let Breen centre. My team for tipp:

Quaid, Dempsey, McCarthy, Condon, Wayne Mc, Dodge, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Ryan, hannon, Breen, Hickey, mulcahy, Moran, Downes.

Right, i left with 5 mins to go, just on the kilkenny goal, what was the final result?

We were 7 up then, an ok performance, the kilkenny team selection has to be taken into account.

The very good

Graham mulcahy is the best corner forward in the country, no idea what he scored tonight i dont know but it was lots

Richie mc is playing great stuff

POB is a mighty hurler, and a leader

Shane dowling is back

DOG is back

Seamus hickey played well again (i'll temper this by saying when tommy walsh came on he was a long way second best)

The good

Nicky - solid

Both corner backs - carmody and walsh (i think, neither team played as named, hard to track who was who)

Wayne mac and gavin were ok

Hannon, didnt miss from dead ball and we basically stopped scoring when he went off

Seanie tobin impoved from the cork game

The ok-bad

Cathal king not a full forward in fairness

Browne and jimbob just not good enough in midfield, browne played so much bad ball in it was unreal, he's tidy around the park and hit 2 points but not a c'ship hurler. Jimbob is a bit out of sorts.

Breen not good

downes not good

Aherne on over tomas ryan, really management?

The team effort was much better today, give good ball into 2 quality corner forwards and reap the reward.
    Niall moran has to start full forward, he gives direction and leadership that no other FF can give.

My team

Nicky
    carmody
    richie
    walsh or dempsey (hear condon is injured)
    paudie
    Wayne mc
    Gavin (needs to up his game a bit)
    DOG
    Ryan
    Dowling
    hannon
    hickey
    tobin
    moran
    mulcahy

(i think breen and jimbob will start and moran wont get the nod at FF)

Tipp to win by 4-7 points is my prediction for 3 weeks time

Paddy, I'd go along with most of that. Mulcahy was lethal but he has to do it v tipp. Downes was only on for second half and saw very little ball, bit harsh to say he was poor. Hannon went off at half time, you couldn't say we stopped scoring when he went off. King was midfield, had some nice touches but not a championship starter. Aherne was only on a couple mins ahead of Ryan in fairness. Oh and Dowling is showing signs of a return to form, nailed the frees, took a nice point from play, but I don't think he has forced his way back into the 15. No sign of allis, must be injured?

I dont think we're disagreeing on a whole lot really.

The team you suggested is a good one.

Kilkenny started with 4 c'ship starters, murphy, hogan, tyrell and eoin larkin (with walsh comiong on in 2nd half)

cilliam buckley, aidan fogarty and tj reid also started, wouldnt know much of the rest of their team. Hogan, power and fennelly all stayed on the bench.

Cant harm our confidence to get a fairly comfortable win against any kilkenny side. Team work vastly improved on last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

KILKENNY - David Herity; Padraig Walsh, Kieran Joyce, Jackie Tyrrell; Paddy Hogan, Brian Hogan, Conor Fogarty; Lester Ryan, Cillian Buckley; TJ Reid, Mark Kelly, Matthew Ruth; Joe Brennan, Eoin Larkin, Aidan Fogarty.

In bold are the definite starters in my opinion for KK for the championship if fit. Joyce will be at half back rather than full (JJ suspension aside). Cillian Buckley and Aidan Fogarty would also be in with a chance.

It was a strong enough KK team. Congrats on the win and I hope ye go on and beat Tipp.

Football this weekend... be interesting to see where we're at. Loss of Ian Ryan will be absolutely massive. Cork have injuries of their own, but you'd expect them to win all the same. Still if we can give them a game and keep it close, I think that will bode well for the qualifiers.

What 15 would people like to see? I've been looking in a few places, and talking to some people...and there's very little complete consensus...but it's made me realise that we definitely do have more depth than we have in the past. Despite a terrible underage structure, we are producing some talented young players.

I'd expect the following players to be able to play at Championship level, although obviously some would be bigger losses than others

O'Sullivan, Scanlon

Coady, Lane, McCarthy, O'Dwyer, O'Riordan, Quaid

Browne, Lavin, Lucey, Ranahan, Riordan, Sheehan

Galvin, Lee, O'Brien, O'Donovan, Treacy

Buckley, Corbett, Kelly, O'Carroll, O'Meara

Collins, O'Connor, O'Connor, Ryan

That's 28 players...obviously without Ryan, O'Connor, Buckley, Galvin, Riordan the half-back line and McCarthy we'd be a lot weaker...but the rest, I think we have a nice bit of depth. A lot of them are very versatile aswell.

I'd probably go for:

1. Donal O'Sullivan (Think he's better than Scanlon tbh)
    2. Lorcan O'Dwyer (Rate him very highly as a man marker)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (Just a class player)
    4. Mark O'Riordan (Very solid)
    5. Stephen Lavin
    6. Paudie Browne
    7. Pa Ranahan (all 3 were very strong in the league)
    8. Bobby O'Brien (Very impressive in the league)
    9. John Galvin (Hopefully he can exert the influence we know he can)
    10. John Riordan (One of our best players, probably not really a forward but his energy and running creates chances)
    11. Tom Lee (Great ball-winner, but if he's at centre-forward, needs to add more scores)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Excellent player, really improved the team when he came back from injury)
    13. Ger Collins (Needs to up his game)
    14. Ian Corbett (Very lively player)
    15. Eoghan O'Connor (Standout forward during the league)

Loss of Ryan will be huge, who replaces him is a big question. Seamus O'Carroll/Ian Corbett/Derry O'Connor...O'Carroll isn't as effective on the wing as he was at full-forward a few years ago, Derry O'Connor is a good impact player but I went for Corbett, think he's excellent. There's also the possibility they put someone like Galvin/Lee on the edge of the square. I suppose O'Connor will take the frees, not as reliable as Ryan, but still good enough.

If Stephen Kelly is fit, he has to play...but having not played a game so far, I reckon he'll be used from the bench.

But even picking that team, we'll have Lucey, Quaid, Lane, Sheehan, Treacy, O'Carroll, O'Connor and Kelly all to use from the bench...all capable of making a difference. If we move the ball in attack quicker than we had been, I reckon we have a decent chance of keeping it close...... if we can get goals, who knows what will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I actually came in to give my thoughts on the match Saturday but I swear to god fireball, you actually put every single thing I was gonna write, in that post :P

Even the team (well I had O' Carroll at 14) down to a tee!

Great post :)

Thanks soccy :) I wouldn't mind O'Carroll at 14, but it's been a while since he played there for Limerick and I think someone like Corbett offers something different, although O'Carroll offers a huge amount of pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

We (Waterford) are playing ye in a SH challenge game on Friday night in Mallow. Should be a good workout for both sides, it'll be our last before championship v Clare the following weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement