Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Cake Man wrote: »
    We (Waterford) are playing ye in a SH challenge game on Friday night in Mallow. Should be a good workout for both sides, it'll be our last before championship v Clare the following weekend.

Cheers Cake Man, you going along to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Cake Man wrote: »
    We (Waterford) are playing ye in a SH challenge game on Friday night in Mallow. Should be a good workout for both sides, it'll be our last before championship v Clare the following weekend.

Cheers, what time? half 7 would be great catch the first few races at the track and then pop over for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Yeah Mallow Friday evening as far as i know, i reckon Waterford will have the bulk of the under 21 team that played Tipp last week. I couldnt see Limerick troubling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Limerick are playing Waterford not Kilkenny with their reservoir of multiple all ireland and all star winners.Limerick are well capable of beating Waterford and they have taken Waterford down in the past when least was expected of them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

dzilla wrote: »
    Yeah Mallow Friday evening as far as i know, i reckon Waterford will have the bulk of the under 21 team that played Tipp last week. I couldnt see Limerick troubling them.
    Limerick are playing Waterford not Kilkenny with their reservoir of multiple all ireland and all star winners.Limerick are well capable of beating Waterford and they have taken Waterford down in the past when least was expected of them.:)

Two very strange posts given it's a challenge game. Of course Limerick could beat Waterford in a challenge game. And to be honest, there wouldn't be much in it in a championsip game either. But I don't really know who actually cares about the results of challenge games?

dzilla, what do you mean about them having the bulk of their u21 team, it's a Senior challenge game, is it not? Unless you meant that they were going to field most of their u21s that played last Friday (which was a bare enough u21 team) and that they wouldn't be troubling Limerick? It would seem unlikely to me that that would happen though.

Terribly confused at the minute.

• Advertisement

yer mans just a troll

yer mans just a troll

Jees ye get an awful lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Football team is close enough to the one I said I'd like to say, with Lane in instead of O'Dwyer.

O'Sullivan; Lane, McCarthy, O'Riordan; Lavin, Browne, Ranahan; O'Brien, Galvin; Riordan, Lee, Buckley; Collins, Corbett, O'Connor

It's a reasonably strong team...Ryan will be a big miss and I wonder who will take 45's/long-distance frees? Scanlon and O'Carroll are both absent, and Kelly is the other person who has taken them in the past. Maybe O'Connor will?

Cork's team has been named to but Collins and Donnacha O'Connor have both been named on the bench, I'd expect them to start tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

yer mans just a troll
    dzilla wrote: »
    Are limerick in the all ireland series or christy ring this year?

This post was a trolling attempt from him before.You could swear Waterford were some sort of hurling superpower with the way he's carrying on!I guess he still hasn't forgiven Limerick for bursting Waterfords bubble in 07.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Football team is close enough to the one I said I'd like to say, with Lane in instead of O'Dwyer.

O'Sullivan; Lane, McCarthy, O'Riordan; Lavin, Browne, Ranahan; O'Brien, Galvin; Riordan, Lee, Buckley; Collins, Corbett, O'Connor

It's a reasonably strong team...Ryan will be a big miss and I wonder who will take 45's/long-distance frees? Scanlon and O'Carroll are both absent, and Kelly is the other person who has taken them in the past. Maybe O'Connor will?

Cork's team has been named but Collins and Donnacha O'Connor have both been named on the bench, I'd expect them to start tbh.
    Yeah that was a dummy team named.A joke to be fair and dissrespectful to players named that do not start.
    A right pain it is that we can't discuss the game and match ups properly as were unsure what team starts for cork.
    While you can be sure some players will start it is hard to predict the actual team with any degree of certainty.
    Cody with Kilkenny,never does such nonense,instead he belives and has faith that all he's players will do their job and mind games don't come in to the fray.
    My view is O leary will start corner back.
    Cadogan is injured,everyone knows this and for CC name an injured player is awful,really is crazy.Journalists trying to do a job must really be annoyed by this.
    Loughrey will come in to half back.
    Canty replacing O Neill at Centre field.
    Kelly won't start but as you said Collins will.
    Id say O Rourke won't start but Gould will.DOC I would prefer to start but probably won't.
    DOC is Corks main penalty taker and a good conversion rate in fairness.Without him if Cork get one it will be interesting who takes one.
    It would be madness but would not suprise me if Walsh took one.
    It would be a risk .
    Goulding,Collins or Hurley would be the logical options.With CC,you just can not tell what he will go with.
    Aidan Walsh was taking 45's in the league ,I dont think he is consistent enough to take them.

• Advertisement

Apparently Barry O'Driscoll is injured too.....if Cadogan is missing, that'd be a bit of a loss, although Noel O'Leary is a very good player in his own right. I did think O'Neill at midfield would be a bit odd, Canty would offer more defensively, but has he not lost a bit of mobility in recent years?

I wrote a preview for livegaelic and it is hard to predict who will start, especially for someone outside the county. But if Kelly and Sheehan are available, even from the bench, that's a big boost to ye. Can't see us being able to match you over 70 minutes tbh.

We'll miss Ryan an awful lot. Been impressed with O'Brien though, and Lee gives us a physical performance in the half-forward line. Huge fan of Riordan too, but I think we just lack a bit of scoring power.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Apparently Barry O'Driscoll is injured too.....if Cadogan is missing, that'd be a bit of a loss, although Noel O'Leary is a very good player in his own right. I did think O'Neill at midfield would be a bit odd, Canty would offer more defensively, but has he not lost a bit of mobility in recent years?

I wrote a preview for livegaelic and it is hard to predict who will start, especially for someone outside the county. But if Kelly and Sheehan are available, even from the bench, that's a big boost to ye. Can't see us being able to match you over 70 minutes tbh.

We'll miss Ryan an awful lot. Been impressed with O'Brien though, and Lee gives us a physical performance in the half-forward line. Huge fan of Riordan too, but I think we just lack a bit of scoring power.
    I just heard that O Driscoll is injured.I did not know he was.Canty at 33 has lost mobility and that is why CB is a no go for him.At midfield he plays deep though,and with the Cork half forwards dropping deep also he can play this role.
    He does not attack beyond the half way line.Canty is there to stop runners from the middle bursting through,he uses he's physicality well to do that.
    The Cork half backs with Collins playing just in front of the CB will be Corks main launch pad of attacks.
    Walsh will be expected to drive through from midfield similar to he's goal against Kildare last year.
    Yeah I agree,with the way Cork will be set up and Ryan missing,Limerick will struggle to get points.I cant see ye getting many long distance.
    Goals are a must for ye.Corks defence was the best goal wise in last years championship and even without Cadogan it is hard to see them conceding much saturday.
    If Kissane starts corner back,that may change.
    The way both teams are set up and with Limerick very strong at half back and the recent history between the sides Id expect a hard fought close win.
    Colm O Rourke said last week this year was the year for the underdog.
    I hope that is not the case Saturday night from Corks view point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Probably the most in-depth preview of the game you'll read this week, if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/munster-quarter-final-preview-limerick-vs-cork/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

keane2097 wrote: »
    Probably the most in-depth preview of the game you'll read this week, if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/munster-quarter-final-preview-limerick-vs-cork/

Excellent preview, I agree with the majority of it aswell, we're going to need to be at our best for the full game & even then its a long shot. All depends on how our defence performs & Galvin of course:). We can do it though, CMON LIMERICK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ian Ryan missing out is sick.

https://twitter.com/ThomasKeane1973
    https://twitter.com/tomasmcc

Two places to get updates on tonight's challenge in Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Limerick team that lost to waterford 2-30 3-24
    Quaid Walsh McCarthy Condon OBrien McNamara Mahony Brown Grady Aillis Ryan Hickey Mulcahy Dowling Tobin

Dowling and Mulcahy with 2 of the goals. dunno about the 3rd.
    I'm just pulling this all from twitter but thats a possible championship team there minus hannon.
    Waterford starting team full of good young players, dillon, ray barry, jamie barron.
    if anyone was at the game, would love to hear a synopsis cause I'm literally just piecing bits together here :P

Hope everyone comes to the gaelic grounds at 7 o clock tomorrow to support the footballers against cork :) Excited! Not going to it full of confidence but I don't think I truly ever do. But I do think an upset can happen. wont be the first time the Limerick footballers have upset (or nearly) the odds :P

Great article here. Worth a read ;)http://www.livegaelic.com/news/munster-quarter-final-preview-limerick-vs-cork/

Waterford 2-30 - limerick 3-24

Really slack start, were 10 points down after about 20 minutes, looked like a team that played 5 days ago in fairness. Came back strongly and were the better team from then on. Waterford made a couple of late subs which had an impact and grabbed a goal and a few late points to win.

Overall was probably a step back from kilkenny game, though i'm sure it was waterfords full strenght side.

1 Nicky, solid nothing he could do on the 2 goals

2 walsh, played well but struggled on our short puck outs

3 richie, rock solid again

4 condon our best player, cert to start c'ship

5 POB, solid again

6 wayne mac, solid under high ball, few errors but clearly he's going to start at CB for c'ship

7 Gavin, average again, cathal king played very well when he came on at HT. Would stick with gavin but we know we have a decent replacement with king

8 Paul browne - last year i would have thought midfield would be a strong point for us, and its not, real dissapointment. cant believe he's going to start c'ship ahead of about 4 players

9 DOG, not great but still coming back from injury, we didnt score from midfield tonight in a high scoring game, that just wont do come tipp.

10 allis - average

11 jimbob - knocked over 3 points in 1st half when we needed them, good effort at CF

12 - Hickey - ok

13 - tobin - good

14 - dowling - very good, moved between full and half, more effective at half, scored the goal to get us back in to it. good in general play, and from dead ball

15 - very good, finished off a lovely team goal and scored a couple of points

subs

downes came on in the corner and scored 3 good points ( good shout whoever said to back him) still looks like he'll bench with the 2 lively lads starting

Cathal king really good impact

Breen, moran and ryan all had reasonable contributions

Hannon doesnt really work that hard but if he gets it in the hand its pretty much a score

The starting team will be

quaid
    walsh
    richie
    condon
    POB
    Wayne mac
    Gavin
    Browne
    DOG
    Allis/breen
    Downes
    Hickey
    Tobin
    Dowling
    Mulcahy

Id start one of 4 players ahead of browne.

Limerick team that lost to waterford 2-30 3-24
    Quaid Walsh McCarthy Condon OBrien McNamara Mahony Brown Grady Aillis Ryan Hickey Mulcahy Dowling Tobin

Dowling and Mulcahy with 2 of the goals. dunno about the 3rd.
    I'm just pulling this all from twitter but thats a possible championship team there minus hannon.
    Waterford starting team full of good young players, dillon, ray barry, jamie barron.
    if anyone was at the game, would love to hear a synopsis cause I'm literally just piecing bits together here :P

Hope everyone comes to the gaelic grounds at 7 o clock tomorrow to support the footballers against cork :) Excited! Not going to it full of confidence but I don't think I truly ever do. But I do think an upset can happen. wont be the first time the Limerick footballers have upset (or nearly) the odds :P

Great article here. Worth a read ;)http://www.livegaelic.com/news/munster-quarter-final-preview-limerick-vs-cork/

Think it was tobin with the third goal.

Best of luck to the footballers, i think we'll have a right cut off of cork. they always play their hearts out.

Really slack start, were 10 points down after about 20 minutes, looked like a team that played 5 days ago in fairness. Came back strongly and were the better team from then on. Waterford made a couple of late subs which had an impact and grabbed a goal and a few late points to win.

Overall was probably a step back from kilkenny game, though i'm sure it was waterfords full strenght side.

5 POB, solid again

6 wayne mac, solid under high ball, few errors but clearly he's going to start at CB for c'ship

7 Gavin, average again, cathal king played very well when he came on at HT. Would stick with gavin but we know we have a decent replacement with king

8 Paul browne - last year i would have thought midfield would be a strong point for us, and its not, real dissapointment. cant believe he's going to start c'ship ahead of about 4 players

9 DOG, not great but still coming back from injury, we didnt score from midfield tonight in a high scoring game, that just wont do come tipp.

10 allis - average

11 jimbob - knocked over 3 points in 1st half when we needed them, good effort at CF

12 - Hickey - ok

13 - tobin - good

14 - dowling - very good, moved between full and half, more effective at half, scored the goal to get us back in to it. good in general play, and from dead ball

subs

downes came on in the corner and scored 3 good points ( good shout whoever said to back him) still looks like he'll bench with the 2 lively lads starting

Hannon doesnt really work that hard but if he gets it in the hand its pretty much a score

quaid
    walsh
    richie
    condon
    POB
    Wayne mac
    Gavin
    Browne
    DOG
    Allis/breen
    Downes
    Hickey
    Tobin
    Dowling
    Mulcahy

Wasn't Waterford's full strength side, the team that started was missing Liam Lawlor, Brick, Shane Sully, Shane Walsh and Maurice Shanahan. Wouldn't read too much into the result, all about performances really. Ray Barry scored 3 or 4 points for us against Tipp and got at least a goal today, but don;t see him starting against Clare and Martin O Neill scored the decisive goal but would probably be surprised if he featured at all against Clare. These games are just a chance to try things and get fellas match practice.

• Advertisement

5 POB, solid again

10 allis - average

12 - Hickey - ok

13 - tobin - good

subs

quaid
    walsh
    richie
    condon
    POB
    Wayne mac
    Gavin
    Browne
    DOG
    Allis/breen
    Downes
    Hickey
    Tobin
    Dowling
    Mulcahy

Cheers paddy, that's positive enough. Our half back midfield area is a worry now though. Hopefully O'Grady is up to speed by the tipp game at either 6 or mid...

I presume you mean Ryan there at 11 in your team rather than downes?

I think downes will or at least should get in ahead of Tobin. Tobin is in great form but I really rate downes (might have been me said he'd be back!) and I think Tobin and mulcahy in the same line is very lightweight, what isn't commented on downes much is he's well able to mix it physically and win ball over head too. Tobin would be an excellent impact sub.

Delighted to hear Ryan chipped in with scores from 11. It's a bit strange moving him back there at this stage but it could be worthwhile.

It's hard to predict the team at this stage I think. Walsh may just be holding on to his spot but could be overtaken yet, especially by Dempsey. The make up of half back/mid will depend on dodge. And there are numerous combinations in the forwards with probably only hannon, mulcahy and hickey being sure to be picked there... I'm still hopeful but it will depend a bit on the team Allen selects for tipp.

Cheers paddy, that's positive enough. Our half back midfield area is a worry now though. Hopefully O'Grady is up to speed by the tipp game at either 6 or mid...

I presume you mean Ryan there at 11 in your team rather than downes?

I think downes will or at least should get in ahead of Tobin. Tobin is in great form but I really rate downes (might have been me said he'd be back!) and I think Tobin and mulcahy in the same line is very lightweight, what isn't commented on downes much is he's well able to mix it physically and win ball over head too. Tobin would be an excellent impact sub.

Delighted to hear Ryan chipped in with scores from 11. It's a bit strange moving him back there at this stage but it could be worthwhile.

It's hard to predict the team at this stage I think. Walsh may just be holding on to his spot but could be overtaken yet, especially by Dempsey. The make up of half back/mid will depend on dodge. And there are numerous combinations in the forwards with probably only hannon, mulcahy and hickey being sure to be picked there... I'm still hopeful but it will depend a bit on the team Allen selects for tipp.

sorry i meant downes at CF.

On the corner forwards both mulcahy and tobin fight like demons for the ball. Playing the corners has to be out tactics for the c'ship we were a bit muddled at the start last night but once they gave ball into the 2 boys we came into the game well and began to dominate from then on. Though im sure downes can play the same roll and i'm not bothered by which of the 2 start.

I agree with you that 6,7,8,9 really needs to improve whatever the selection is.

I think after last night dowling will start at 14 with a roving roll often leaving the 2 inside on their own with plenty of space. I'm delighted to see him back to form, was worried for a while.

Anyway c'mon the footballers

sorry i meant downes at CF.

On the corner forwards both mulcahy and tobin fight like demons for the ball. Playing the corners has to be out tactics for the c'ship we were a bit muddled at the start last night but once they gave ball into the 2 boys we came into the game well and began to dominate from then on. Though im sure downes can play the same roll and i'm not bothered by which of the 2 start.

I agree with you that 6,7,8,9 really needs to improve whatever the selection is.

I think after last night dowling will start at 14 with a roving roll often leaving the 2 inside on their own with plenty of space. I'm delighted to see him back to form, was worried for a while.

Anyway c'mon the footballers

Yeah I reckon downes can play corner just as well as Tobin but he brings a bit more physicality and his height and ability to field a ball is a nightmare for corner backs too.

The kk game and by the sound of it this game saw a clear tactic in the forwards, with Ryan and hickey pretty deep, and hannon who was nominally corner forward playing out around the 45 in more of a wing forward position and lots of room for the two forwards inside. It's a pity that one of Moran or dowling will likely lose out...

Lookin forward to the footballers rattling cork this eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm normally not one to personally criticise our teams. They're amateur and they give up their time for free. Added to the fact I have relations on the football team. But tonight I am not a happy supporter.

We're not and probably never will be able to go toe to toe with Cork and Kerry. So we've had to adapt our approach and play to our strengths over the years. We certainly did not do this tonight. I've never seen such a badly prepared team since we became a competitive footballing county at the turn of the century. There was no plan - other than going over and back across the field on our own 45'. Everything was done so slowly and support play was almost non existant. We made Cork's job very easy for them.

You can forgive lack of talent (I do believe there are talented players in this team, they're just badly coached), you can even forgive a total absence of a plan. One thing I won't forgive is a lack of application - we barely broke sweat tonight, there was hardly a decent shoulder in the game and little intensity was evident. Cork cut through us so easy in the first half, it was actually laughable. A lot of players need to have a good long look at themselves after tonight's showing. It wouldn't even qualify as a decent challenge game for Cork, who had 5 debutants on show.

I think it says it all about our performance that a half-fit John Galvin was our best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Really felt so sorry for John Galvin tonight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Thats a depressing result :(

Ah lads..... Gutted.

And my prediction wasn't even close, never saw us losing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Reasonable draw in qualifiers to kick start it , that's all to be hoped for now , they are better than that , we know and so do they

Reasonable draw in qualifiers to kick start it , that's all to be hoped for now , they are better than that , we know and so do they
    Id agree ,Limerick are much better than last night.I knew Cork would win but never by that much.
    A good draw,and once the first game is out of the way ,I still feel theres a kick left in limerick.Ian ryan back,and a fully fit Galvin would also make a big difference.Limerick are at their most dangerous with their backs to the wall.
    I hope ye do make a comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Horan has to go, that was a complete joke of a performance.. every year I have travelled to the back end of no where to support the lads, really can't see myself doing that this year when they whimper out of the Championship like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement