Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I was away for the weekend, and didn't see the game...

A lack of intensity is unacceptable. It was a problem the year we made the quarter-final in the two games against Kerry. And last year, we were lacking early in the Championship season. We bounced back against Longford and Kildare, and against Waterford and Wexford in 2011.

I know the likes of Cork and Kildare are better than us, but it doesn't mean we can't give them a game, we have plenty of times in the past. Our whole system at the moment is based on a high-intensity, high-pressing game and then moving the ball quickly. If any of that fails, we look like shít.

But if Horan goes, who do you replace him with? We don't have an absolutely amazing team...although we do have some talented players. Some of them are aging though, who do we get in to get the best out of the final few seasons of McCarthy/Lavin/Ranahan/Galvin/Kelly/Buckley?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Calling for horan to go is unfair , being drawn against cork and kerry first pop is never easy, examine his record in the championship last 2 years and think again , just look where sligo are this evening , that's a whole different place!!!!

Very hard to get over the football, but returning to hurling for a moment.

The starting team will be

quaid
    walsh
    richie
    condon
    POB
    Wayne mac
    Gavin
    Browne
    DOG
    Allis/breen
    Downes
    Hickey
    Tobin
    Dowling
    Mulcahy

Id start one of 4 players ahead of browne.

I assume it was a mistake not to include Hannon somewhere? I mean...he's our best player, he's definitely going to start.

We do have a few options in some positions, but we really need people to perform on the day. I think the performance of Ryan at centre-forward is encouraging.

The team I'd pick seems to change every day, but I wouldn't mind seeing:

Quaid; Dempsey, McCarthy, Condon; O'Brien, McNamara, GOM; DOG, Hickey; Hannon, Ryan, Allis; Downes, Dowling, Mulcahy

Definitely think Dempsey/Carmody should be ahead of Walsh based on form.

Still not convinced by Wayne Mac at centre-back, but unless we play DOG there, I'm not sure what else we can do.

O'Mahoney's poor form is a worry, didn't think King was good at all in the league. Would prefer someone like Ryan to be brought in there.

Moran is probably likely to start too...good to see Dowling come back into form, and Downes doing well the last day. And Mulcahy seems to be at the top of his game too. I'd include Allis for his pace and Ryan for his ball-winning ability, but then where does Moran go?? And I suppose there's not much chance he'll move Hickey from half-forward at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Very hard to get over the football, but returning to hurling for a moment.

I assume it was a mistake not to include Hannon somewhere? I mean...he's our best player, he's definitely going to start.

We do have a few options in some positions, but we really need people to perform on the day. I think the performance of Ryan at centre-forward is encouraging.

The team I'd pick seems to change every day, but I wouldn't mind seeing:

Quaid; Dempsey, McCarthy, Condon; O'Brien, McNamara, GOM; DOG, Hickey; Hannon, Ryan, Allis; Downes, Dowling, Mulcahy

Definitely think Dempsey/Carmody should be ahead of Walsh based on form.

Still not convinced by Wayne Mac at centre-back, but unless we play DOG there, I'm not sure what else we can do.

O'Mahoney's poor form is a worry, didn't think King was good at all in the league. Would prefer someone like Ryan to be brought in there.

Moran is probably likely to start too...good to see Dowling come back into form, and Downes doing well the last day. And Mulcahy seems to be at the top of his game too. I'd include Allis for his pace and Ryan for his ball-winning ability, but then where does Moran go?? And I suppose there's not much chance he'll move Hickey from half-forward at this stage.

Yeah one of the other lads already pulled me up on the downes omission. Thats a very strong side you've picked there but from the last three games ive seen id say hickey is a cert at half forward with browne at midfield.

Ive seen very little of king only basing my comments on the waterford game the other night.

I hope GOM is just waiting for the big day to give his best performance. Lets hope him and a few more have big matchday performances in them. Plus regardless of selection we have good options off the bench, think yer all going to be impressed with dowlings return.

I think Browne is a good player on his day, but I'd prefer Allis/Hickey/O'Brien and the two Ryans on current form. He wouldn't be a bad player to bring off the bench.

If Hickey does play half-forward, then maybe Ryan or Allis could accompany DOG in midfield, with the other at centre-forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'm like you fireball, team changing day by day for me.

Like you I'd have Dempsey in corner back, the 21s game might swing it one way or another for him. Plus Condon and Richie. The half back line and one of midfield will be the half back line from the league plus O'Grady. I hope Dodge goes back to 6 if he's ready. O'Brien is more suited to midfield and will score from there too, and Wayne Mc is dominant at 5.

I had expected Ryan to be midfield but there's a chance of him back at 11 now, not bad. Hickey will probably still be in the half forward line though, wish we could release him to midfield. That will probably see Browne or allis in midfield.

If Ryan goes back half forward that will edge out breen who i had in there as a worker in the line. Hannon will start, mulcahy will start, and downes will probably be in the other corner. That leaves only one spot for Moran or dowling at full... I'd love to see both start but I don't think we will.

Team I'd pick:
    Quaid
    Dempsey Richie Condon
    Wayne DOG GOM
    O'Brien Ryan/hickey/allis
    Hannon Ryan Hickey/dowling
    Mulcahy Moran/Dowling Downes

If I see something like that selected, or at least those players in whatever line up ill be seriously fancying our chances for this tipp game and popping down for a bet before everyone else does the same.

The U-21 team for the match against Tipp has been named:

1. Owen Webb O'Rourke (Kilmallock)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Mark O'Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    5. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    6. Barry O'Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    7. Kevin O'Donnell (Kilmallock)
    8. Thomas Ryan (South Liberties)
    9. Shane Kenny (Ballybrown)
    10. Declan Hannon (Adare) (Captain)
    11. William Hickey (South Liberties)
    12. David Reidy (Dromin/Atlacca)
    13. John Fitzgibbon (Adare)
    14. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh).

16. Darragh Stapleton (Doon)
    17. Barry Lynch (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    18. Shane Irwin (Bruff)
    19. Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
    20. Robbie Egan (Kilmallock)
    21. Kevin O'Brien (Patrickswell)
    22. Mikey Ryan (Murroe/Boher)
    23. Jack Aherne (Kileedy)
    24. Bryan Griffin (Ballybrown)

Extended Panel:
    P.J. Hall (Adare)
    Adrian Roberts (Ballybrown)
    Jody Hannon (Adare)
    Aaron Costelloe (Kilmallock)
    Mark O'Connell (Glenroe)
    Brendan O'Connor (Croagh/Kilfinny)
    David Hall (Ballybrown)
    Brendan Giltenane (Mungret)
    Richard Ryan (Ahane)
    Jake Mulcahy (Kilmallock)

As I said in the other thread, I think it's a bit of a surprise that Robbie Egan hasn't made the starting team, I thought he was unlucky not to make the senior panel. Still, on paper, it looks like a strong enough team.....but it's very hard to know how these games will go.

Hope TJ has them up for it, because Tipp are never easy to win against. If the weather stays the same, it could be a great evening for hurling. Hoping for a good game at least.

Looks a strong enough team, maybe ryan, breen and reidy didnt get much game time recently as they always had this match to get a good look at them from a management perspective. Good FB line.

Dowling gets another game as well. Cant be a weak side if as you say egan can only bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Its a longshot, but does anyone know if the game will be will be on tv or streamed anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Indie. wrote: »
    Its a longshot, but does anyone know if the game will be will be on tv or streamed anywhere?

Yep, it's on TG4 tomorrow night from 7.15.

• Advertisement

I did a little preview of the game for livegaelic: http://www.livegaelic.com/news/u-21-munster-hurling-championship-preliminary-round-tipperary-v-limerick-preview/

Probably shows that I don't know much about the Tipp team tbh, although I did attempt to talk to people who know their shít.

I predicted a Limerick win then, but I'm doubting myself again now. Weather is nice here anyway, hopefully the game matches up.

Nice little preview fireball.

Decent limerick team, a big surprise Egan isn't starting for me. Anyone know has he been injured or anything? His size would be even more of an advantage at u21. I hope we see him at some stage.

The limerick full back line is very strong! Hope they perform well. Interesting to see that most of the senior players are starting in the spots for which they might be in contention on the senior panel, Dempsey and carmody in the corners, hannon wing, dowling full. Often with u21 senior players you might see those guys pushed into more central positions.

I hope limerick put in a performance unlike last year. There are no glaring selection mistakes like last year and that's a strong looking line up. Would be a nice boost to get the win as a lot of these guys look like they'll be senior players in the future, and would be especially nice to see some strong performances from the senior players ahead of next weekend.

Hon limerick!!!

Obviously we were AWOL for far too much of that game

O'Loughlin our best player by a distance

Thoughhts on ref?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Obviously we were AWOL for far too much of that game

O'Loughlin our best player by a distance

Thoughhts on ref?

Thought Barry Lynch was superb when he came on.
    The ref i thought made a few harsh calls against ye,namely when Willam Hickey was clearly fouled in the first half,should have been a free in at least.
    I dont think it was a penalty near the end though.The Ref did not make much of a difference in all honesty.Limerick never turned up in the first half.
    That was a big suprise,I expected a close game at the very least.

That's minor football, U-21 football, senior football and now U-21 hurling where we just haven't performed.

I don't think it was a matter of not turning up today, but our tactics were very poor, playing stupid passes, making every ball a 50-50. Movement from attackers was very poor, passing wasn't great...... Tipp were much more clever and deserved winners.

It could have been a lot closer if we were a bit more patient and didn't make as many stupid decisions. But between the two McCormacks, Forde and Walsh...they had too much for us.

Thought Carmody was our best player. Dempsey, O'Loughlin good too....Morrissey and Lynch in the 2nd half. The likes of Dowling, Breen and Ryan mixed good stuff with some really stupid stuff. Very disappointed.

Is our match been shown by TV3 next week? RTE didnt mention it in their schedule next week.

That waterford defeat doesnt bode well given they scored freely against us in the challenge, also given what happened to the u-21's its hard to be hopeful.

Lets see what team is named. We will have to bring some serious intensity to trouble tipp - todays match was the worst championship match ive seen for a long while.

Is our match been shown by TV3 next week? RTE didnt mention it in their schedule next week.

That waterford defeat doesnt bode well given they scored freely against us in the challenge, also given what happened to the u-21's its hard to be hopeful.

Lets see what team is named. We will have to bring some serious intensity to trouble tipp - todays match was the worst championship match ive seen for a long while.

Yeah, it's on TV3.

There are plenty of reasons to be negative:
    U-21s disappointing performance
    Poor performance against Dublin, who were then hammered by Tipp
    Not being great in challenge matches against weakened sides

But, I'm really pumped for it all the same. Excitement is starting to grow....today wasn't a good game at all, but it still made me wish Sunday was closer, I just can't wait for a hurling Championship match. I just hope they don't disappoint.

After all, we did beat Clare last year, we were better than them. They have improved...have we regressed? I'm not sure. Tipp are probably even better but we don't know how we'll react in Championship until it actually happens. I hope we give it everything, at least. Bring a bit of intensity...it was lacking in today's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I always had a big soft spot for Limerick and i'd love to see them beat Tipp this sunday.If they do that then it will really open up the race for the munster title.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Team for Tipp named tonight I believe.*

Dempsey has done enough to start, he has impressed with every opportunity at corner back. Our midfield needs strengthening. I'd be happy with Allis Breen or Dowling wing forward, Dowling doesn't seem the player he was a year or two ago though, I hope the management can instil a bit of confidence in him again. Team I would pick:
    Quaid; Dempsey McCarthy Condon; Wayne Mc DOG O'Mahony; O'Brien Hickey; Hannon Ryan Allis; Mulcahy Moran Downes.

Team Allen will pick:
    Quaid; Walsh McCarthy Condon; O'Brien Wayne Mc O'Mahony; O'Grady Browne; Hannon Ryan Hickey; Mulcahy Moran Downes.

*edit: misinformation! Thursday.

Prefer the look of your team..... A half-forward line of Hannon/Ryan/Hickey might lack some scoring power though... I know they're all capable of scoring, certainly, but Hannon is the only out-and-out finisher.

As of now, I think I'd be surprised if Dowling didn't start.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Prefer the look of your team..... A half-forward line of Hannon/Ryan/Hickey might lack some scoring power though... I know they're all capable of scoring, certainly, but Hannon is the only out-and-out finisher.

As of now, I think I'd be surprised if Dowling didn't start.
    So do I but i fully expect Allen will select the other team which I think has a number of weaknesses... :(

I thought dowling may have played his way off the team in the 21s game, though we haven't seen a lot of Moran... I thought Dempsey couldn't possibly do more play his way on to the team but I don't think Allen will give him the nod.

One thing that has been niggling at me is how much fight does this team have? Are they going to give absolutely everything, bring the necessary aggression and intensity?

Some of the players are very very skilful, there's no doubting that....but the league final was worrying. We were better than Dublin on the day, we played the better hurling, we probably had the better hurlers but when it came down to it, we couldn't finish them off, there seemed to be a real lack of urgency in what was a critical game.

Now, I'd never doubt the commitment of the likes of Condon/McCarthy/Wayne Mac/DOG.....and I don't even want to question the others, I mean I know the amount of effort they put into training and all that. But I know they have lots of talent, but something's been missing.

Team out, I was actually two players out. Surprised to see Tobin edge Downes out, Downes will win balls Tobin can't but in fairness Tobin has been in great form and is a good player. As runt says though that's awful light for a two man full forward line. No dowling or Moran indicates both are seriously out of form, I hope we see one or both come in and make an impact. There'll be doubts about the half forward line but there'll be manic work rate out of all three, and they can all cause problems. As fintan o'toole tweeted, the forward selection indicates a game plan, maybe this isn't our best 15 but it may the best team Allen has to take on tipp. And this time we have subs to come in too.

Wow...

I did not expect that. A half-forward line without a single natural score-taker?

When I first saw it, I was dismayed but......it's interesting. Bit of a risk though...and I really hope Hannon isn't on the edge of the square for 70 mins, we need him on the 40 to direct some attacks. Need goals too.

For those who haven't seen:

1. Nicky Quaid
    2. Stephen Walsh
    3. Richie McCarthy
    4. Tom Condon
    5. Paudie O'Brien
    6. Wayne McNamara
    7. Gavin O'Mahoney
    8. Paul Browne
    9. Donal O'Grady (captain)
    10. David Breen
    11. James Ryan
    12. Seamus Hickey
    13. Graham Mulcahy
    14. Declan Hannon
    15. Seanie Tobin

16. Aaron Murphy
    17. Mark Carmody
    18. Cathal King
    19. Alan Dempsey
    20. Shane Dowling
    21. Conor Allis
    22. Niall Moran
    23. Kevin Downes
    24. Paudie Aherne
    25. Tommy Quaid
    26. Tom Ryan

Couple of big calls. Picking a half-forward line with no substantial scoring threat.....while leaving Downes, Dowling, Moran and Allis all on the bench.

Picking Paul Browne in midfield, despite poor enough form.

And Walsh ahead of Dempsey/Carmody, both who have played very well when given the chance.

I dunno.....didn't expect that....unless our full-forward line get very good service, I can't see us scoring enough. Breen/Ryan/Hickey will get scores if the ball comes to them but they're not a real attacking handful the way someone like Mulcahy/Hannon are, or the way Downes/Dowling can be on-form. It's interesting...... at least we've got a good bench??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a bit of a dummy team and we end up with Wayne Mac and GO'M on the wings either side of DO'G with PO'Brien in midfield, and maybe Hannon and Breen will switch places.

Hannon got cleaned out last year against Tipperary in the half forward (though he wasn't fully fit) line so maybe that may have something to do with him being named at 14. As for the named half forward line, looks like the plan is to stick a few ball winners in there to supply the full forward line and at the very least stop the Tipp half back line from hurling.

Something a bit too negative/defensive about that XV for my liking, almost as though we are more concerned about Tipp and stopping them than we are about playing our own game. I'm hoping it is a dummy team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I haven't seen John Allen picking any Dummy teams so I expect the team to line out as selected. Hannon at full forward , no Downes or Dowling , haven't much faith in Allen to be honest. Thought his team selection and decision making against Dublin was diabolical. Hannon at full forward again ? I hope I am wrong but cannnot see them winning this match:o

Well, this will be my only time saying this but, i feckin told ye (except i had dowling at full, with hannon on the wing over breen)

The positives

At least we have a game plan and in fairness its the only one ive seen work for us so i guess we have to run with it.

Yesterday ye were working if some of our boys have the attitude for it, well Allen has picked a dogged team with battlers all over the pitch. He's picked a half forward line that can win ball and hassle the opposition half backs and stop the ball coming out quickly.

The negatives

Walsh doesnt look as good as dempsey

6 and 7 propably our best options but still they need to kick on

8,9, i think we're going to get well beaten here

The whole half forward line lacks a scorer, even if they win the ball they cant knock it over.

Hannon at FF, he basically plays as a HF with Jimbob playing a little deeper or completely as a 3rd midfielder.

I cant see anything other than a good beating, we have some very limited hurlers on our side and the tipp half backline should clean up, we're going in here hoping to keep the score down against a quality side and hoping to bring a few subs off the bench to win it. I'm travelling in to see this and think any result is possible including a 12 point drubbing.

Jordainius I think Shawnee is right here, I'm not sure Allen does dummy teams... DOG has been in midfield in the challenge games since he came back an hannon will probably just play a bit deeper rather than in a traditional full forward role. Surprised downes isn't starting but the rest isn't surprising really. Disappointing that it seems neither Moran or Dowling can make a convincing case for a place.

Either way, it looks like there is a gameplan in place, so fingers crossed...

• Advertisement

Yesterday ye were working if some of our boys have the attitude for it, well Allen has picked a dogged team with battlers all over the pitch. He's picked a half forward line that can win ball and hassle the opposition half backs and stop the ball coming out quickly.

That is true... limited Limerick sides in the past have got results against more-talented teams based on a strong work ethic, and an ability to take scores when chances fall. Big pressure on Hannon/Mulcahy though.

Allen has to use the bench properly if we're to have any chance. The likes of Allis, Downes and probably Dowling need to be brought on at the right time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement