Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

McNamara V Bonnar Maher should be a physical battle to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Rightwing wrote: »
    I've nothing against him either, just think he's out of his depth. We beat Carlow by a goal in the league, that tells us all we need to know.

That the second game in the league is irrelevant, that's what I think it tells us_. We beat Clare in the league in Ennis. There was 8 in it on Sunday though. Laois were Division 2A in the league, they've beaten two teams from 1B.

I don't think Limerick will win, but they are capable of a performance. Still hard to see them winning unless Tipp are off the pace which is hard to see. But stranger things have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That the second game in the league is irrelevant, that's what I think it tells us_. We beat Clare in the league in Ennis. There was 8 in it on Sunday though. Laois were Division 2A in the league, they've beaten two teams from 1B.

I don't think Limerick will win, but they are capable of a performance. Still hard to see them winning unless Tipp are off the pace which is hard to see. But stranger things have happened.

It tells me he doesn't know what he's doing.

What does 'capable of performance' mean? Lose by 6 points? Just what Allen wants to hear,,we put in a 'performance'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Would Allen have beaten that Clare team? I doubt it very much.
    Allen has failed to build on the progress made by O Grady. There is simply no disputing that fact.
    Dublin were there for the taking in the div 2 final this year, and he was found wanting,,,,,again.

As I've already said, Allen beat a Clare team in 2012 that was better than the Clare team of 2011.

Here's some actual facts for you;
    Clare played two championship games in 2011, lost to Tipp by 9 points, lost to Galway by 17 points. They were poor enough in the league losing twice to Limerick in Ennis.

In 2012, they were much improved under Davy Fitz, beat Limerick in the WaterfordCrystal Cup, beat Limerick twice at the Gaelic Grounds, and unlike the year before they were competetive in the championship, losing to Waterford by just two points and defeating Dublin in their first qualifier match.

And to your question; would Allen have beaten Clare of 2011? Well when it mattered most he beat Clare last year in the qualifiers, a Clare team that as I have shown above was far better than the Clare team the year before. So yes, I can say with certainty that John Allen would most definitely have beaten that Clare team.

And you need to look up the word "fact" in the dictionary, it is certainly not a "fact" that Allen has failed to build on what O'Grady did, it is nothing but a theory. And not a very good one at that.

Again, there is little or nothing between what O'Grady did and what Allen has done so far.

jordainius wrote: »
    As I've already said, Allen beat a Clare team in 2012 that was better than the Clare team of 2011.

Here's some actual facts for you;
    Clare played two championship games in 2011, lost to Tipp by 9 points, lost to Galway by 17 points. They were poor enough in the league losing twice to Limerick in Ennis.

In 2012, they were much improved under Davy Fitz, beat Limerick in the WaterfordCrystal Cup, beat Limerick twice at the Gaelic Grounds, and unlike the year before they were competetive in the championship, losing to Waterford by just two points and defeating Dublin in their first qualifier match.

And to your question; would Allen have beaten Clare of 2011? Well when it mattered most he beat Clare last year in the qualifiers, a Clare team that as I have shown above was far better than the Clare team the year before. So yes, I can say with certainty that John Allen would most definitely have beaten that Clare team.

And you need to look up the word "fact" in the dictionary, it is certainly not a "fact" that Allen has failed to build on what O'Grady did, it is nothing but a theory. And not a very good one at that.

Again, there is little or nothing between what O'Grady did and what Allen has done so far.

You are making the simple mistake of trying to compare teams, that never works. The only fact is: if allen doesn't win the next day he'll be getting the sack and rightly so. If he wins, I'll be amongst the first to congratulate him.
    No more excuses.

• Advertisement

You are making the simple mistake of trying to compare teams, that never works. The only fact is: if allen doesn't win the next day he'll be getting the sack and rightly so. If he wins, I'll be amongst the first to congratulate him.
    No more excuses.

Pretty weak response which in no way counters anything I've said. It's not a mistake, comparing teams works, its done all the time. You're even doing it yourself because you're comparing O'Grady's team to Allen's team.

And Sunday alone won't determine Allen's future, he could end up having a good qualifier run as well.

You'll be the first to congratulate him? So you'll just go whatever way the wind is blowing then??

Pretty weak response which in no way counters anything I've said. It's not a mistake, comparing teams works, its done all the time. You're even doing it yourself because you're comparing O'Grady's team to Allen's team.

And Sunday alone won't determine Allen's future, he could end up having a good qualifier run as well.

You'll be the first to congratulate him? So you'll just go whatever way the wind is blowing then??

It's a huge mistake, I see it all the time. Never has worked, never will work. I compared O Grady to Allen. O grady won promotion, Allen didn't. Big difference.

The man so far is a loser. I don't see why we should be applauding losers.

If he wins he's no longer a loser and he has earned it. I hope he can prove me wrong. Unfortunately history is on my side.

It's a huge mistake, I see it all the time. Never has worked, never will work. I compared O Grady to Allen. O grady won promotion, Allen didn't. Big difference.

The man so far is a loser. I don't see why we should be applauding losers.

If he wins he's no longer a loser and he has earned it. I hope he can prove me wrong. Unfortunately history is on my side.

You asked "Would Allen have beaten that (i.e. 2011) Clare team?" As you know, he beat the 2012 team, the only reason you ask that question is because you have compared the 2011 and 2012 teams and for some reason deduced that the 2011 team is better, otherwise your question is absolute nonsense. So no, not a big difference, you do compare teams.

As for the rest of your post, it's pretty ridiculous to call him a "loser", just as ridiculous as you saying that you have nothing against him earlier.

Also, who is applauding him?

You asked "Would Allen have beaten that (i.e. 2011) Clare team?" As you know, he beat the 2012 team, the only reason you ask that question is because you have compared the 2011 and 2012 teams and for some reason deduced that the 2011 team is better, otherwise your question is absolute nonsense. So no, not a big difference, you do compare teams.

As for the rest of your post, it's pretty ridiculous to call him a "loser", just as ridiculous as you saying that you have nothing against him earlier.

Also, who is applauding him?

I asked that question, as in would he have got us promotion in 2011, and I see no reason to suggest he would, seeing as he couldn't do it over 2 years. You on the otherhand made the basic but critical error of comparing teams i.e. making excuses for Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Neither of you know the answer whether Allen would have beaten Clare in 2011, you can give an educated guess but there is no way either of you can say for definite.

Jordanius you are using comparisons of different matches played under different circumstances -it maybe a usefull indicator but it is not an accurate or definite method of analysis.

For example using your logic Tipperary's last championship performance was an 18 point loss to KK, Limericks was a 9 point loss to KK, are you willing to back Limerick -8, cos I'm sure I could take that bet ;)

• Advertisement

Neither of you know the answer whether Allen would have beaten Clare in 2011, you can give an educated guess but there is no way either of you can say for definite.

Jordanius you are using comparisons of different matches played under different circumstances -it maybe a usefull indicator but it is not an accurate or definite method of analysis.

For example using your logic Tipperary's last championship performance was an 18 point loss to KK, Limericks was a 9 point loss to KK, are you willing to back Limerick -8, cos I'm sure I could take that bet ;)

Yes indeed, I agree with everything in this post.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Tipp team named:

Brendan Cummins; Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Michael Cahill; Kieran Bergin, Conor O'Mahony, Padraic Maher; Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath; Jason Forde, Patrick Maher, John O'Brien; Shane Bourke, Seamus Callanan, Noel McGrath

No Lar, no Eoin Kelly, no Pa Bourke.....

Don't think it's the strongest possible Tipp team, still very formidable of course. Hopefully Callanan isn't on form....we do know how dangerous Forde can be....and all Maher & McGrath will certainly do damage up front. Brendan Maher is a class act too, and the backline looks very strong. I dunno, just have to hope we can pull something off.

Lar is injured, Pa is out of form for both club and county and seems to have lost all confidence, Kelly still has alot to offer but I would imagine him starting on the bench is a clear indicator that Noel McGrath will play out the field and the result being Tipp will play with a two man FF line which would not suit Eoin, two fast men like Shane Bourke and Seamie Callinan will be much more suited to this.

Personally i think the must suprising ommission is Conor O'Brien who was excellent throughout the league and even last year when others were floundering around him he hurled well, very under-rated IMO people seem to dismiss him becasue he's not the biggest - I would have started Bergin in Midfield and played Conor O'Brien wingback, but I guess dropping the captain would have been a bold move in your first ever championship outing as manager.

You could not possibly have interpreted what I'm saying more incorrectly if you tried. I'm talking about where a team is season by season, not game by game.

I'm saying that the Clare team of 2012 under Davy Fitz was of a much higher standard than the Clare team of 2011 under Ger O'Loughlin. And I'm basing that on Clare's overall performance for the entirety of those years. They were much improved in 2012 compared to 2011.

I never applied that crazy logic you use in your last paragraph at any stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

Still hard to see them winning unless Tipp are off the pace which is hard to see. But stranger things have happened.

If Limerick win my friend it'll be fock all to do with Tipp being off the pace. A loser mentality like yours we really can do without.

piplin wrote: »
    If Limerick win my friend it'll be fock all to do with Tipp being off the pace. A loser mentality like yours we really can do without.

Your bang out of order there tbh, Mountain is not a Tipp man FWIW and knows more about hurling than most on these boards, he's comment is pretty fair and not many would argue that if Tipp are on form they will win. Thats a big if with Tipp though of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great in-depth preview of the game here if anyone fancies a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/munster-hurling-championship-preview-limerick-vs-tipperary/

Your bang out of order there tbh, Mountain is not a Tipp man FWIW and knows more about hurling than most on these boards, he's comment is pretty fair and not many would argue that if Tipp are on form they will win. Thats a big if with Tipp though of course.

I agree he did come across as a bit harsh, but there is a loser mentality amongst a lot of limerick supporters looking for a mere 'performance'. We need a win, anything else is a flop in my book.

Good luck to them & management. I would also contend the MHSC also needs a Limerick win.

I agree he did come across as a bit harsh, but there is a loser mentality amongst a lot of limerick supporters looking for a mere 'performance'. We need a win, anything else is a flop in my book.

Good luck to them & management. I would also contend the MHSC also needs a Limerick win.

Hard to argue with the final point, not so sure I agree with the first though, I have been amazed how confident some Limerick fans have been in the last few weeks, all I keep hearing is ''Limerick never feared Tipp'' and tha tTipp are soft and will die easy, KK finished ye etc etc, I know alot of it was mere banter and sledging if you will but there did also seem to be alot of belief in it aswell.

On a side note can anyone tell me anything about the Limerick intermediate team? As defending champions we have had to name an entire new team so obviously will be a bit weaker this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hard to argue with the final point, not so sure I agree with the first though, I have been amazed how confident some Limerick fans have been in the last few weeks, all I keep hearing is ''Limerick never feared Tipp'' and tha tTipp are soft and will die easy, KK finished ye etc etc, I know alot of it was mere banter and sledging if you will but there did also seem to be alot of belief in it aswell.

Really? My experience is that Limerick people have been unbelievably negative, it's actually kinda depressing. A loss would be bad, but imo, people are too reactionary. Lose the U-21 and senior game 2 weeks in a row and it's the end of Limerick hurling, we'll never recover. Which is simply not true.

Hopefully we get a good crowd, I personally love matches in the Gaelic Grounds (except for the Mackey), we have a better record there but I've heard a lot of people complaining about ticket prices too. And this idea of no reduction for children in the terrace is a terrible one.

On a side note can anyone tell me anything about the Limerick intermediate team? As defending champions we have had to name an entire new team so obviously will be a bit weaker this year.

Well the team is:

Shane O'Donoghue; Shane Irwin, Barry O'Connell, Mike Reidy; Jason Hayes, Cathal McNamara, David O'Neill; Paudie Leahy, Conor Kearney; Kevin O'Brien, David Reidy, Dan Morrissey; Willie Griffin, Pat Begley, Jack Aherne

You'll probably recognise a lot of them from the U-21 team last week- O'Connell didn't have a great game that day but he's a very talented hurler, Irwin is a decent corner-back...McNamara is a good hurler at centre-back.

The half-forward line were all playing for the 21s- Reidy is on the senior panel, quite pacy and skilful...Morrisey was wing-back last week, good in the air, while O'Brien is goot at creating chances.

Willie Griffin is one of the top scorers in the club championship on a regular basis, great underage player, never made the breakthrough at senior level. Pat Begley was full-back for the 21s when we wom the Munster, a lot of people want him on the senior panel......I think he's related to Brian, but I'm not 100% sure on that. And Aherne didn't get a run for the 21s last week but is a skilful player.

We've got the likes of Barry Lynch, John Fitzgibbon, Brendan Giltenane and Mikey Ryan on the bench too.

I know more about the forwards than the backs and there are some very good hurlers in there, but really have no idea how they are as a team, and how well they'll do, as I don't know the strength of the Tipp team.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Jordainius, rightwing clearly knows nothing about this team and is looking for a reaction. No point responding to the dope.

Anyway, I've convinced myself we're going to win. Hon limerick!!!

• Advertisement

Jordainius, rightwing clearly knows nothing about this team and is looking for a reaction. No point responding to the dope.

Anyway, I've convinced myself we're going to win. Hon limerick!!!

I predicted Tipp by 5 while still trying to remain logical.

But now I'm letting myself be carried away in a frenzy of excitement.....I'll take any kind of win.

I know more about the forwards than the backs and there are some very good hurlers in there, but really have no idea how they are as a team, and how well they'll do, as I don't know the strength of the Tipp team.

The Tipp team is - Daragh Egan, Sean O'Brien, Micheal Butler,Tom Treacy, Willie Ryan David Young, Padraig Heffernan, Joey Mcloughney, Sean McCormack, Orrie Quirke, Timmy Hammersley, Pat Molloy, Ruari Gleeson, Denis Maher, Paudie Greene

Daragh Egan was an underage star outfield and would have played a season or two under Babs, was part of the Tipp team from the trilogy against Limerick, has reverted to the goals for club and county in the last 12 months and is widely expected to be a member of the senior panel next year.

Tom Treacy is a very good corner back and has been in with the senior training panel and fatured in a few challenges.

Willie Ryan, Sean O'Brien and Denis Maher I think were all part of the u-21 team last year.

Joey Mcloughney, David Young and Timmy Hammersley all have played senior.

Paudie Greene and Ruairi Gleeson were excellent underage prospects but both have had alot of injury problems so it remains to be seen if they can still operate at this level.

The Tipp team is - Daragh Egan, Sean O'Brien, Micheal Butler,Tom Treacy, Willie Ryan David Young, Padraig Heffernan, Joey Mcloughney, Sean McCormack, Orrie Quirke, Timmy Hammersley, Pat Molloy, Ruari Gleeson, Denis Maher, Paudie Greene

Daragh Egan was an underage star outfield and would have played a season or two under Babs, was part of the Tipp team from the trilogy against Limerick, has reverted to the goals for club and county in the last 12 months and is widely expected to be a member of the senior panel next year.

Tom Treacy is a very good corner back and has been in with the senior training panel and fatured in a few challenges.

Willie Ryan, Sean O'Brien and Denis Maher I think were all part of the u-21 team last year.

Joey Mcloughney, David Young and Timmy Hammersley all have played senior.

Paudie Greene and Ruairi Gleeson were excellent underage prospects but both have had alot of injury problems so it remains to be seen if they can still operate at this level.

Have heard of a good lot of them...was wondering whether it was the same Egan. Denis Maher was superb against us for the U-21s last year, and I always thought Young and Hammersley were handy hurlers. Sounds like a pretty strong team, still wouldn't call it though.....very hard to predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

I don't think I'm bang out of order pstone. Over reaction from you there maybe?

Personally I'm sick of contemplating suicide every focking year after we've been knocked out again. Negative non believers are a complete pain in the hole and are a curse on Limerick hurling. There are many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

piplin wrote: »
    I don't think I'm bang out of order pstone. Over reaction from you there maybe?

Personally I'm sick of contemplating suicide every focking year after we've been knocked out again. Negative non believers are a complete pain in the hole and are a curse on Limerick hurling. There are many.

Given I'm not from Limerick why should I believe that they will beat Tipp on Sunday?

You've really got to ask yourself, who has the better hurlers here? It's Tipp all day long. I get no pleasure from saying that, but that's just the way it is. They have lads like Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher, O'Mahony, Noel McGrath, Paul Curran (all though his days as an inter-county hurler are coming to an end) Michael Cahill, proven talent, all-ireland winners. Ye're talking about yer own bench as having a lot on it well they've got Eoin kelly, John O Dwyer, Conor O Brien, Donagh Maher. Those lads aren't exceptional hurlers (well bar Kelly) but they're not any worse than what Limerick have. Kevin Downes is a good player but inconsistent, Dowling is very young so I'll be kind to him in that sense but looking at the u21 game I think your hoping for a lot if you see him as a game changer. You've two very young corner backs who were good in the 21s game, but very inexperienced and a corner back won't be a game changer if ye need one.

I hope Limerick win Sunday, but the reality is that to win they will need a Tipp team that isn't all guns blazing. That doesn't mean that will be the only reason they'll win, and it doesn't mean Tipp have to be atrocious, but it will have to be a Tipp team that isn't what we are expecting to see on Sunday. All for positivity on your own County's chances (if the players and supporters don't believe, who will?) but I don't have to think Limerick will win just because you do.

I predicted Tipp by 5 while still trying to remain logical.

But now I'm letting myself be carried away in a frenzy of excitement.....I'll take any kind of win.

Limerick by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It will be close Limerick are never easy, Tipp will win imo, they've been the best team in Munster since 08 and I think many of the squad have yet to peak.

It will be close Limerick are never easy, Tipp will win imo, they've been the best team in Munster since 08 and I think many of the squad have yet to peak.

Who has yet to peak? Not to be disparaging but there's a fair few that are probably past their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A draw, and back to Thurles next Saturday night. The beginning of another epic saga..:P

P.S. forgot Babs is gone. less crack without him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

washman3 wrote: »
    A draw, and back to Thurles next Saturday night. The beginning of another epic saga..:P

P.S. forgot Babs is gone. less crack without him

haha, my thoughts exactly :D was watching over the youtube videos of those 3 matches today.. we failed to win a munster championship game back in 07 for 6 years, its been another 6 years so we're due another win :P
    dont think my heart could take another 3 game saga though, particularly anything like the first replay when were ten points down at one stage!!

So excited for tomorrow. Like my head says that Tipperary have the better hurlers, yknow you see the likes of Jason Forde (who played unbelievable stuff against us in the 21s, cry cry) having his championship debut (will the occasion be too much? here's hoping :P ) and then there's shane bourke and bonner maher and it's like fuuuu-, what do we have to match that? And then im just here praying that the likes of deccy hannon and mulcahy and seanie tobin show up on the day and that somehow hannon pulls some sort of miracle out of the bag from the FF line (if he stays there) considering that tactic failed to work in previous matches..

Like kinda been said, our half forward line isn't really gonna scare tipp in terms of scoring potential but they are hard workers, tire tipp down and then bring on the likes of dowling? not sure how i feel about that game tactic considering it has the potential to go belly up (like seriously......) Don't rate paul browne much these days, would much have preferred maybe allis or paudie o brien in with dodge at midfield. like uh, cant see him withstanding the likes of maher or mcgrath for 70 mins.. but here, if he's managing to retain his place on the starting team ,he must be doing something right that we're maybe not seeing?

literally just blabbering anything that comes into my mind at this stage and there's really no method to anything im writing. i just really want limerick to win :( going to sunday morning mass for the first time in about 5/6 years just for this like! better work lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement