Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Fireball07 wrote: »
    You'd have to fancy our chances, think we could have beaten either of the teams. But you can't underestimate Cork, they were impressive today.

It will be very close.The beauty is both teams will fancy their chances.The curse of the gaelic grounds was finally ended.It a huge turning point for Cork.

No team has the capacity to batter either team.It will be close.

Limerick will certainly be physical but woudnt say ye have any more pace than clare.Id say ye will be slight favourites with home advantage and the fact it waw tipp ye beat.

It will suit Cork fine.We have questions yet to be answered at full back.So do limerick in Can limerick deliver when Limerick expects.Cork will present a different challenge to the tipp game.

Of Course im a cork.man so I want Cork to win.In a way its a shame Limerick stand in the way.As i would like limerick to win a munster title.

It will be interesting.3 St finbarrs men on the line.Ger C,JBM and John Allen.

Ger C and allen will know each other inside out.It will be close.If it even as half the match the 2011 U21 Munster final was it will be epic.

I cant wait.

Well we'll be second favs after that, impressive from cork without their captain and goal getter.

That said clare were mince and left about 3 clear goals behind them

The thing to remember is it extremely hard to get the better of Nash in goals.The guys makes so many saves week in week out for Kanturk and Duhallow and Cork its bread and butter to him.Cork are weak at full back but Nash is such a presence that he puts fear and the doubt in to the attacker.Its a brave forward to take him on and he wont concede many goals.

Cummins done it for years with Tipp ,saved certain goals and made their defence look better than it was.
    Nash only ever left in more than 3 goals once for Cork against Waterford in 07.He couldnt be faulted for any of those 5 and saved at least 4 others.

limericks forwards are potent but as of yet failed to show any conviction and ruthlesness in terms of goals against tipp when the chances arose.
    As good as Limericks defence was they gave away a goal and only for Callian missing a sitter would have been two.

The limetick defence was quite open their.

It will be a tale of two keepers in a sense.Nash,becoming a master of he own trade while Quaid the young apprentice learning fast.And both are related.Second or first Cousins i think.
    Nash has limerick blood.Hes related to the great Declan and Mike Nash.

I think and i may be wrong but he is on the other side of the family related to former limerick keeper Albert shanahan.

I know Ger Cunningham is a big fan of Quaid and was good to the family in their awful tradegy years ago.Noboddy will bedgrude Limerick if they win.Not any geuine supporters.I dont believe Limerick have any hostility towards Cork either.
    A few of these players would have played with Cit and colledges together.
    20 thousand at the match today,id say this will be close to sell out.Limerick will bring a massive crowd and Cork for the ist time have a real belief they can win Munster since 06 will bring a huge crowd from the city but also North Cork will have a huge following too added the fact it within a halfs hours drive for most of them.

The build up alone should be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The thing to remember is it extremely hard to get the better of Nash in goals.The guys makes so many saves week in week out for Kanturk and Duhallow and Cork its bread and butter to him.Cork are weak at full back but Nash is such a presence that he puts fear and the doubt in to the attacker.Its a brave forward to take him on and he wont concede many goals.

He is no doubt quite a good keeper but in fairness Honan and McGrath have no excuses for their two misses, and Collins should have at least hit the target.

He is no doubt quite a good keeper but in fairness Honan and McGrath have no excuses for their two misses, and Collins should have at least hit the target.

I agree but it takes a special player and shot to beat Nash more than once.
    Nash is the best keeper in the country at present with so many top keepers out their.
    Hes puck outs were top class and to get a compliment from the master himself Cusack that hes puckouts are second to none really shows what a keeper he has.

Added to the two frees he got.And he id a supreme penalty taker.Power and accuracy in hes shots.A lethal mix.
    On this form nailed on for a second all star.

PP has the Munster Hurling Final at even money for both teams and a one point handicap.It will be very hard to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I agree nash is the best keeper in the country, i'll be hoping that the limerick forwards take their chances when presented though and dont make an all star out of him.

On penalties he throws the ball to the 13, pretty much unstoppable from their.

I agree nash is the best keeper in the country, i'll be hoping that the limerick forwards take their chances when presented though and dont make an all star out of him.

On penalties he throws the ball to the 13, pretty much unstoppable from their.
    I think everyone does it to be fair.Davy fitz and Damien Fitzhenry often done it.

I think its wrong and completely inaccurate to say thats the only reason he scores them.If it was a 20 metre free he would still score and i have seen him do it for kanturk many a game even when there would be at least 8 men on the goal line.

Its not just power he had.People who say that dont truly understand the gifts of a penalty taker.It is as much about accuracy too.He has that in abundance as shown by hes great long distance frees.

Diarmuid Sullivan had savage power but could not take a penalty to save hes life.He had no accuracy.Pat Horgan has a powerful shot and accuracy but lacks the temperament to score them.

Nash has not just got power.He has got accuracy and temperament as well.All three together make him a very good penalty taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Looks like the hurling championship is wide open this year. Ourselves and cork are both 11/1 for the all ireland.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Looks like the hurling championship is wide open this year. Ourselves and cork are both 11/1 for the all ireland.

Both evens for the Munster final with a 1 point handicap.

Both evens for the Munster final with a 1 point handicap.

Think I'll take Cork at Evs.

• Advertisement

Think I'll take Cork at Evs.

If i was neutral I wouldnt do any team.Its very hard to call.Hopefully both teams be injury free for the game.

If i was neutral I wouldnt do any team.Its very hard to call.Hopefully both teams be injury free for the game.

I agree, very hard to call. I don't know if cork were very good yesterday, or clare just poor. I was impressed with the cork forwards, they looked a little shaky at the back, as did Limk v Tipp

I agree, very hard to call. I don't know if cork were very good yesterday, or clare just poor. I was impressed with the cork forwards, they looked a little shaky at the back, as did Limk v Tipp

a bit of both to be honest.But a good win considering Mcloughlin,Croinin will be back.2 huge players that will only strenghten Cork.
    Coughlan should have more hurling done by then.Colm Spillane will on the bench.

Limerick were very good against Tipo but had a full strength panel.We were weak in that regards but while clare were poor we won easily in the end against a team that had a game already played.

The good news for us is the U21 game against Tipp is after the senior game.So the players like Joyce,Lehane, Spillane etc will be fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Minor team named...

From the Limerick GAA facebook page:
    The Limerick minor hurling management team has announced their starting fifteen to face Tipperary in Thurles in the Munster minor hurling semi final.
    Limerick team is as follows 1, Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), 2, Jamie Porter (Monaleen), 3, Richard English (Doon) (Capt), 4, Sean Finn (Bruff), 5, Stephen Ryan (Doon), 6, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), 7, Sean Flanagan (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon), 8, Jamie Bulter (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon), 9, Darragh Donovan (Doon)(Vice Capt), 10, Barry Nash (South Liberties), 11, David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh), 12, Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), 13, Dean Coleman (Doon), 14, Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh) and Pat Ryan (Doon).
    Panel members 16, Eoin McNamara (Doon), 17, Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh), 18, Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen), 19, Edward Doyle (Monaleen), 20, Graham Whelan (Bruff), 21, Tom Morrissey (Ahane), 22, Stephen Power (Ahane), 23, Damien Lacy (Dromcollogher/Broadford) and 24, Darragh Kennedy (Murroe/Boher).
    Limerick Minor Hurling management team is Brian Ryan (South Liberties) (Manager), Selectors Eamonn Cregan (Claughaun) and Paul Finn (Bruff).

Ronan Lynch at full-forward? Centre-back last year, often played in the half-forward line.....he's a very talented player, just have to get the best out of him. Don't see any obvious surprises..the spine of the team looks very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Have a bit of a soft spot for Limerick hurling. Funny thing about them is there's no in-between. They're either lightening quick and brilliant or just naw they're not quiet at it today. Would love to see them win an All Ireland. They're capable if they go the shortest route.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Minor team named...

From the Limerick GAA facebook page:

Ronan Lynch at full-forward? Centre-back last year, often played in the half-forward line.....he's a very talented player, just have to get the best out of him. Don't see any obvious surprises..the spine of the team looks very strong.

Cheers for that fireball.

Ronan Lynch full forward is a surprise. Though he can play anywhere you'd think they'd want him more involved and 6 or 11, where he's probably more suited too, with cian lynch in at full. Ronan was phenomenal for ardscoil in the Harty semi last year. Played corner forward for the Na P 21s in the county final and was quiet enough. Hope they go well despite the rubbish in appointing the management.

We've got a football qualifier this weekend too, should be an interesting clash. Ian Ryan is still likely to be out, which is a massive blow to our chances. But Longford aren't a top side...and apparently they're missing Quinn, one of their best players.

It's a game that we can certainly win, but our performance needs to be way better, in both defence and attack. Wonder will Stephen Kelly make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Sorry to go slightly off topic guys, but do we've anyidea when tickets for Munster final will go on sale?

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Sorry to go slightly off topic guys, but do we've anyidea when tickets for Munster final will go on sale?

No idea, I'd say it will be a sellout but tickets should freely available at the same time.

bennyl10 wrote: »

I went on tickets.ie, and they seemed to be selling them? But I'm not sure...

• Advertisement

I checked that, you are spot on. €20 for a terrace ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

We've got a football qualifier this weekend too, should be an interesting clash. Ian Ryan is still likely to be out, which is a massive blow to our chances. But Longford aren't a top side...and apparently they're missing Quinn, one of their best players.

It's a game that we can certainly win, but our performance needs to be way better, in both defence and attack. Wonder will Stephen Kelly make it?

Its definately a game we can win, even away from home. TBH we play better away from home. Quinn will be a huge loss to Longford but last year he was nullified by Kelly.
    Spoke to a chap that attended the NCW and Kierans game. Kelly played ok after his long layoff as did Corbett at midfield and Johnny Mac was awesome for Kierans (whats new) Jim Donovan didny play, and Treacy is in USA for the summer.
    We will be still quite strong, possibly even stronger than last year up there as the Legend is back at midfield. Ryan's loss is huge as was proved V Cork, so we're hoping that Eoin and Derry O'C along with Collins can take the scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Some great stand tickets on there, middle of the open stand. Hope my club's tickets are as good.

washman3 wrote: »
    Its definately a game we can win, even away from home. TBH we play better away from home. Quinn will be a huge loss to Longford but last year he was nullified by Kelly.
    Spoke to a chap that attended the NCW and Kierans game. Kelly played ok after his long layoff as did Corbett at midfield and Johnny Mac was awesome for Kierans (whats new) Jim Donovan didny play, and Treacy is in USA for the summer.
    We will be still quite strong, possibly even stronger than last year up there as the Legend is back at midfield. Ryan's loss is huge as was proved V Cork, so we're hoping that Eoin and Derry O'C along with Collins can take the scores.

Didn't know about Treacy, probably wouldn't have started but he's a good bench option. We did have Ryan last year, even if he didn't have his best game......Derry O'Connor made a big impact in extra-time, and Corbett had a good game too. Collins needs to up his performance.

I'd have McCarthy on McCormack, he's their dangerman.

grimbergen wrote: »
    Some great stand tickets on there, middle of the open stand. Hope my club's tickets are as good.

Hope so too...... Doubtful for us though, we always seem to be in the corner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

grimbergen wrote: »

Are these tickets definitely genuine lads? How can the tickets even be printed yet when they don't know who is in the minor game yet??

Are these tickets definitely genuine lads? How can the tickets even be printed yet when they don't know who is in the minor game yet??

Ah they are genuine, reputable site, most people won't care about the minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

Great half forward line for Limerick tonight in the minors I think thats where they will win the game if they do. C Lynch is extremely skillful and Dempsey is like his brother being as tough of nails. Unsure of what Nash is like but overall a strong side lining out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Ah they are genuine, reputable site, most people won't care about the minor.

lol Limerick probably wont after tonight :D

Seriously though the teams in the minor is always on the ticketas is the times and referees none of which has been finalised as of yet, just seems odd.

lol Limerick probably wont after tonight :D

Seriously though the teams in the minor is always on the ticketas is the times and referees none of which has been finalised as of yet, just seems odd.

Tipp are 2/9 to win, so no surprises if they are they are beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

A lad I know has his tickets for the Munster final already, it says 1:45pm : TBC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement