Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Limerick only lost to Offaly by a point and were very unlucky to get nothing from the game. Offaly beat Dublin. i reckon Limerick have an excellent chance against the dubs, sure didn't the alcoholics beat them in the quarter finals last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Look we have a Chance....Where building a team and there giving it there all.If we can pick up a win Fantastic.Being Honest i think we will Prob Lose all of Our games this year, but ill be there cheering them on and if we where to win one it would make my year.Sounding a bit like a Liverpool fan but i will expect things to happen next season not this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dublin will very wary, and its on in Parnell - both points mean a Dublin win by a few imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Jigga wrote: »
    Limerick only lost to Offaly by a point and were very unlucky to get nothing from the game. Offaly beat Dublin. i reckon Limerick have an excellent chance against the dubs, sure didn't the alcoholics beat them in the quarter finals last year!

What alcoholics? Name them and back up your claims please. And don't try to play the "joke" card because there is nothing funny at all about what you said.

Name the "alcoholics" (with proof where possible) or admit that you don't know what you are talking and stop spreading lies and rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

Look we have a Chance....Where building a team and there giving it there all.If we can pick up a win Fantastic.Being Honest i think we will Prob Lose all of Our games this year, but ill be there cheering them on and if we where to win one it would make my year.Sounding a bit like a Liverpool fan but i will expect things to happen next season not this season.
    You miss the point that sending out any team that is weaker than the team you could be sending out is bad for Limerick hurling and obviously increases the chances we have of being beaten and therefore relegated.

I would love to see some or all of the '09 team coming back sooner or later. Ignoring them as if they never existed is something which will be detrimental to the growth of Limerick hurling. It could be a few years, if ever that the current panel will be competitive at Division 1 level.

As said before, do not get carried away with a few 'moral victories' of only losing by 6 points against good teams. This is the league and a lot of the bigger teams are holding back showing what they really have until the Summer. We are going at full tilt.

Its going to be a long summer (or should I say a short summer) for Limerick fans.

• Advertisement

Limerick only lost to Offaly by a point and were very unlucky to get nothing from the game. Offaly beat Dublin. i reckon Limerick have an excellent chance against the dubs,

Ok, let me just prove that this "logic" is nonsense. You have conveniently taken the example of how Limerick and Dublin fared against Offaly.

Now lets look at what you conveniently overlooked.

Dublin and Limerick v Kilkenny.
    Dublin were very unlucky not to get something from that game and were competitive throughout. Kilkenny easily brushed Limerick aside and pulled up in the second half.

Dublin and Limerick v Tipperary.
    Dublin won by 9. Limerick lost by 21 to a very casual performance. That's only a difference of 30 points....

Dublin and Limerick v Galway.
    Dublin were in a position to win that game but Galway edged a competitive match in the closing stages. Limerick managed to keep pace with Galway; until they emptied their bench and the more experienced players came on. Limerick got nowhere near them thereafter.

Dublin and Limerick v Waterford.
    Waterford enjoyed convincing victories over both.

Dublin and Limerick v Cork.
    Cork won well on both occasions but won more convincingly against Limerick. Also, Donal Óg Cusack, Sean Og O'Hailpin, Ben O'Connor, Cathal Naughton and Jerry O'Connor were played against Dublin and not against Limerick. That in itself speaks volumes.

So now you might reconsider your "logic" based on how both teams performed against Offaly...

jordainius wrote: »
    What alcoholics? Name them and back up your claims please. And don't try to play the "joke" card because there is nothing funny at all about what you said.

Name the "alcoholics" (with proof where possible) or admit that you don't know what you are talking and stop spreading lies and rumours.
    What dropped player said the best invention ever is Bacardi?

PS Richie Bennis would know more than some anonymous gob****e on the internet i reckon:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaa-championships/hurling/bennis-blasts-limerick-drinking-1435127.html

Dublin and Limerick v Tipperary.
    Dublin won by 9. Limerick lost by 21 to a very casual performance. That's only a difference of 30 points....
    Limerick fared better against Tipp this year than the alcoholics managed in the All ireland semi final last season.

That in itself speaks volumes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Limerick fared better against Tipp this year than the alcoholics managed in the All ireland semi final last season.

I'm far from their biggest fan as is well known on this board but lay off on calling them alcoholics. They gave years of service to Limerick so as bad as they are they are at the moment they deserve some bit of respect to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Jigga has found himself banned from the forum for a few days. I don't care how bad things are in Limerick, personal abuse of other posters in the forum will not be tolerated.

Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

As an offaly man im not going to comment on who is missing for limerick just to say i was impressed by the spirit of your current panel in tullamore given all the controversy following them around and the negativity from some "fans" i was far more impressed than i was with dublin. My real problem is with the powers that be who are going to leave either limerick or dublin and clare or wexford in divison 2 giving hidings to kildare westmeath etc whie they bleat about promoting hurling in weaker counties. Unless destroying limerick wexford clare or offaly is helping the weaker counties the current system is a joke. Wexford could be facing 3 years in div 2 how does this help bring them back challenging the cats in leinster. Its time for us 2nd tier counties to push for a change before headquarters destroys us all.

I wouldn't worry about that, Kildare and Westmeath are due to be relegated. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Wexford/Clare and whoever else are in Division 2 and if they cant get out of it its their problem. Maybe things need to be tweeked a bit but look at where Carlow have come up to and despite Westmeath and Kildare being relegated both have made serious strides over the past few years. Some counties who feel they should be in Div 1 are living on tradition and distant memories.

Counties win the right to play in Division 1, 2, 3 or 4 so if the likes of Wexford or Clare moan about being out of the top flight how will emerging counties like Carlow ever make the breakthrough? Tradition alone should not mean the G.A.A revamp the leagues to suit a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

LeoB wrote: »
    Wexford/Clare and whoever else are in Division 2 and if they cant get out of it its their problem. Maybe things need to be tweeked a bit but look at where Carlow have come up to and despite Westmeath and Kildare being relegated both have made serious strides over the past few years. Some counties who feel they should be in Div 1 are living on tradition and distant memories.

Counties win the right to play in Division 1, 2, 3 or 4 so if the likes of Wexford or Clare moan about being out of the top flight how will emerging counties like Carlow ever make the breakthrough? Tradition alone should not mean the G.A.A revamp the leagues to suit a few.

Fine make it a 10 team division1 last place plays 1st in div2 in a promotion relegation playoff if carlow or whoever are good enough they will come up without destroying hurling in stronger counties with tradition.

poolboy wrote: »
    Fine make it a 10 team division1 last place plays 1st in div2 in a promotion relegation playoff if carlow or whoever are good enough they will come up without destroying hurling in stronger counties with tradition.

Too many matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

The current system is far from ideal. What I would suggest and I think it is fair for all is:

The bottom team from Div 1 is relegated, the top team from Div 2 is promoted. The 7th in Div 1 plays the 2nd in Div 2 in a play-off to decide who plays in Div 1 and 2.

If the runner up in Div 2 is good enough they'll be promoted. This has the advantage of giving the teams in Div 2 a chance without running the risk of weakening Div 1 by allowing 2 automatic promotions from Div 2.

What dropped player said the best invention ever is Bacardi?

Stephen Lucey. What's your point? While what he said there was ill-advised and not very wise, I don't think anyone would seriously suggest that he was giving a serious answer there. It was a joke, a bad joke but the point is he wasn't being serious.
    PS Richie Bennis would know more than some anonymous gob****e on the internet i reckon:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaa-championships/hurling/bennis-blasts-limerick-drinking-1435127.html

Richie Bennis is talking about the 2008 panel. Not all that relevant to last year considering that 10 players from Bennis' last panel were not involved in the panel for last years championship (those 10 players being Sean O'Connor, Conor Fitz, Mike Fitz, Barry Foley, Peter Lawlor, Paudie O'Dwyer, Keiran O'Rourke, Eoin Ryan and Pat and Kevin Tobin.)

The 2008 panel that Bennis was speaking of is different to last years one, so the link you post is irrelevant.

Yeah, Limerick 2009 playing at 50% against a Tipp team at 100% losing by 24 opposed to the 2010 Limerick team playing at 100% losing by 21 to a Tipp team playing at 50%. That speaks volumes alright. In 2009 Limerick had a horrendous off day whereas in 2010 Tipp coasted along in first gear against a team giving their all.

Ironic that you go on about anonymous "so and so's" from the internet considering that you are the one mouthing off and calling them "alcoholics". Unlike some, I don't use my anonymity to insult people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

considering that you are the one mouthing off and calling them "alcoholics". Unlike some, I don't use my anonymity to insult people.

This is true Re. alcoholic comment. It was a stupid thing to say.
    Reale was the first to stand down if the man had any character he would acknowledge how hasty he was was initially and publicly apologize for causing all this unrest and return to this years panel asap instructing others to do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

poolboy wrote: »

That sounds elitest to me so cant agree with that. Tradition does not give anyone the right to play in Division 1 whether its Cork, Kilkenny, Tipp, Wexford, Clare, Limerick or Dublin. Whoever finishes bottom gets relegated, possibly even the bottom 2 should go. Its not destroying Hurling in stronger counties on the contrary its bringing it on in weaker counties.

Reale was the first to stand down if the man had any character he would acknowledge how hasty he was was initially and publicly apologize for causing all this unrest and return to this years panel asap instructing others to do likewise.

You have got to be kidding me?

Hasty is; dropping 12 players and only having the decency to inform one of them.

Hasty is not; withdrawing from a panel in protest of McCarthy's non existent communication and dropping of players without even telling them why. People can't expect these guys to fight for each other on the pitch but not to fight for each other off it? Yeah, that will do wonders for team spirit alright...

Damien Reale has been a fine servant to Limerick hurling, he has not been a bad influence on the panel at any stage of his career, he was a first team player for a good 10 years and has given a lot to Limerick hurling. A small few players have been guilty in the whole indiscipline/drinking issues but Damien Reale was not one of these players.

To state that he lacks character is a cheap shot, especially considering you in all likelyhood don't even know the guy and are in no position to comment on his character.

To state that Damien Reale is the one who caused all the unrest is completely ridiculous.

Why on earth do people feel they have the right to come onto internet forums like this (though other sites are far worse) and say whatever the hell they like about amateur players? I've seen some awful unsubstantiated garbage and untruths thrown at these players in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

Maybe what I should have said is Reale is in a position where he could if he so desired go back playing and hopefully bringing others along with him. In my opinion that would show great character in the man. Why do people make things out to be so so bad all the time ?? Everyone knows what happened , it just seems to be stalemate with the players now. McCarthy will be there for the next few months at least so I don't see why the players don't put their bad feelings behind them and move on for 2010. This is way too big to be fannying about in stand off's.By the way I never said Reale had no character I've had great admiration for him through his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Why are we still talking about this?!...Justin won the vote not once but twice.He gave players a deadline to come back they refused.He had every right to dump the players he did... and dont talk about lack of communication some of the players dropped wouldn't of taken it lying down if he had communicated with them, they still would have spread rumors and gossip about Justin and training and so on.Look the Players got the chance to come back, but there no better than the traitor Stephen Ireland as they are now refusing to wear the jersey.The lot of them can go on away and do what they want...although im sure they would anyway even if they were hurling for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭solway

Hows the going Jigga,
    How do you know that there were alcoholics in the panel last year. Did you see them at an AA meeting or did you see them drinking 7 days a week or were they going to training drunk or something. You havnt a clue what you are talking about, another person telling stories on "hear say". Will you do me a favour and sit down and have a good think about what you are after saying. You are like the journalist who printed the "bacardi" joke. Your just another person contributing to the snowball effect. And another thing i think its a disgrace that the county board are charging spectators to go and watch home league games. Sure the league was a joke. Charging people full whack to go and see Limericks third team play top opposition. There only a good junior team. Do you think this years limerick team would beat last years limerick team. There isnt a hope of it. You think that 2010 team gave tipp a better game of it than 2009 team in croke park. I think you are seriously loosing the run of yourself altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Congratulations to Mickey Ned and the lads in getting promoted today. Good win against Leitrim 1 -22 to 9 points.

Hopefully they can build on this and get to a Munster final and have right crack off Cork or Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Browney7 wrote: »
    Congratulations to Mickey Ned and the lads in getting promoted today. Good win against Leitrim 1 -22 to 9 points.

Hopefully they can build on this and get to a Munster final and have right crack off Cork or Kerry
    Congrats indeed. But to be fair promotion was a must, anything else would have been a disaster! They kicked some excellent points today, particularly Ian Ryan and John Mullane. Gone was the wastefulness of previous games, Leitrim although having nothing to play for, are still a tough side to play against so to put up 23 scores was very impressive. If they can get another victory against Waterford in the final, it should give them plenty of confidence going into the Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The Limerick footballers are back with a vengance :) It was great seeing them score so many points from play yesterday. For the first time Limerick have a pretty wicked subs bench as well this year. Eoin Joy and Eoghan O'Connor always make an impact when they come on. Roll on the championship!

Edit: Final is on Saturday 24th, at 5pm ,in Croke park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,907 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lads,

Anyone know were I can get the current Limerick jersey for a good price. Also is this the final season for the current one i.e are they chaning it next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

billyhead wrote: »
    Lads,

Anyone know were I can get the current Limerick jersey for a good price. Also is this the final season for the current one i.e are they chaning it next year?

Any sports store they're all the same really.
    I'd say they'll probably change it next year,this one has been around the last two seasons(I think they'll change it,not that sure about it tbh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

panda100 wrote: »
    The Limerick footballers are back with a vengance :) It was great seeing them score so many points from play yesterday. For the first time Limerick have a pretty wicked subs bench as well this year. Eoin Joy and Eoghan O'Connor always make an impact when they come on. Roll on the championship!

Edit: Final is on Saturday 24th, at 5pm ,in Croke park!

I'd fancy Limerick to win the Munster (in football obviously)!

• Advertisement

DylanS09 wrote: »
    I'd fancy Limerick to win the Munster (in football obviously)!

Yes, Limerick are surely now favourites for Munster after getting promoted to Division 3. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement