Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Rightwing wrote: »
    Tipp are 2/9 to win, so no surprises if they are they are beaten.

Bookies have very little to go and minor can be so volatile its all on the night, this Limerick team are no mugs, Limerick won the u16 AI last year and were runners up in the u17, beating Tipp along the way.

Bookies seem to be basing their prices on last years team, and the game been in Semple Stadium, two factors which are largely redundant tbh. Tipp have a nice looking team I must admit but I would certainly be taking nothing for granted, I see Eamon Creegan is involved with Limerick, that tells me two things firstly they will not be found wanting on the sideline and secondly this crop of players are obviously highly thought of within Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Minors win by a goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Double header for Minors and Seniors on July 14th in Gaelic Grounds!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Could be a game on before. Tickets.ie have it as 4pm..

Yes....The Munster Minor Hurling Final!

Limerick V Cork or Waterford (they are playing extra time right now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Bookies have very little to go and minor can be so volatile its all on the night, this Limerick team are no mugs, Limerick won the u16 AI last year and were runners up in the u17, beating Tipp along the way.

Bookies seem to be basing their prices on last years team, and the game been in Semple Stadium, two factors which are largely redundant tbh. Tipp have a nice looking team I must admit but I would certainly be taking nothing for granted, I see Eamon Creegan is involved with Limerick, that tells me two things firstly they will not be found wanting on the sideline and secondly this crop of players are obviously highly thought of within Limerick.

So you more or less called this one right, felt like betting on Limk after your post, but I didn't :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

slegs wrote: »
    Yes....The Munster Minor Hurling Final!

Limerick V Cork or Waterford (they are playing extra time right now)

You're playing Waterford in the minor, they beat Cork by 5 points, 3-19 to 1-20. Good win for them.

Should mean the Gaelic Grounds will be packed to the rafters as three counties will be involved.

Also means between minor, U21 and senior Limerick have beaten Tipp 2-1 in Munster this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

We 'bet' Tipp tonight..:D

Good win for a young team. Waterford in the final now after they overcame Cork in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

randd1 wrote: »
    You're playing Waterford in the minor, they beat Cork by 5 points, 3-19 to 1-20. Good win for them.

Should mean the Gaelic Grounds will be packed to the rafters as three counties will be involved.

Also means between minor, U21 and senior Limerick have beaten Tipp 2-1 in Munster this year :)

Tipp nailed us in the intermediate though, but only just. so its 2-2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

After a poor enough start to Limerick's GAA season (lost senior football, U-21 football, 2 games in minor football & U-21 hurling), we have bounced back nicely with 2 wins over Tipp. Hopefully the senior footballers can make it a 3rd win on the trot against Longford.

Two finals in Limerick on the 14th July, with Limerick teams involved....should be a great day for the county, hopefully both teams can make us proud :cool:

Ronan Lynch scored 1-7, but sounded like Dempsey was the real star.....pity I couldn't go :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    After a poor enough start to Limerick's GAA season (lost senior football, U-21 football, 2 games in minor football & U-21 hurling), we have bounced back nicely with 2 wins over Tipp. Hopefully the senior footballers can make it a 3rd win on the trot against Longford.

Two finals in Limerick on the 14th July, with Limerick teams involved....should be a great day for the county, hopefully both teams can make us proud :cool:

Ronan Lynch scored 1-7, but sounded like Dempsey was the real star.....pity I couldn't go :(

There seems to be a reoccuring trend here! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just home from Thurles. Very pleased with that performance. I missed the first 20 minutes of the game, so when I got there Tipp led by 0-10 to 0-8. From talking to a couple of lads it seemed that Dempsey kept us in touch with some nice points. Tipp ended the first half better than us and controlled the first 15 minutes of the second. At 0-14 to 0-10 ahead, I began to worry as Tipp's half back line was well on top, Maher at 6 and Kirwan at 9 were winning every ball. They hit some bad wides that could have put them 7 or 8 points clear, and that was the turning point.

Our midfield, in particular that chap from Doon, Donovan, came into the game, Cosgrave at centre back started to dominate at did Dempsey in the half forwards. He picked off a couple of lovely scores. Cian Lynch looks a lovely 'wristy hurler' as Cyril Farrell would say. Ronan Lynch had to come out the field a bit to do his best work, but he was (almost) unerring from the placed ball. His free for the last point was a monstrous score. English at full back was sound and was ably assisted by both his corners. The Tipp inside line never had a sniff at goal. Flanagan at half back was another good player for us, and both Whelan and Morrissey did their bit when called upon from the bench. Morrissey in particular got a lovely point with his first touch of the ball. We were the better team for the final 20 minutes and hurled with a tenacity that I've rarely seen in our previous minor teams.

Not taking anything away from Brian Ryan and Eamon Cregan, a lot of the credit for this win has to go to Joe Quaid, who has coached this team from u-12 level to u-16 before being shafted by the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

So you more or less called this one right, felt like betting on Limk after your post, but I didn't :mad:

Don't tell anyone in the Tipp thread but I had a sneaky few quid on Limerick :o The bookies priced it up completely arseways and it was always a 50/50 game in my view, the money will soften the blow.

Was very impressed with the Limerick FB, the free taker and the midfielder Donovan, thought the penalty was a little dubious and could have just as easily been a free out for overcarrying, but lets not go there the reality is on the night Limerick deserved their win.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

I felt Tipp dominated at stages of the match but didnt make enough of their chances. I dont mean to critise a young fella but their freetaker was atrocious and Limerick rallyed to a deserve win in the end. Morrisey made a huge impact when he came on and had some catch for the penalty. Dempsey, Lynch, R Lynch Le Tousche and the list goes on showed more hunger. Roll on 14th of July:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

just incase wasnt seen by people here Limerick twitter says majority of limerick terrace allocation is for City end.

Sounding like I'll be in with a bunch of corkonians myself so.. lovely :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

grenache wrote: »

Not taking anything away from Brian Ryan and Eamon Cregan, a lot of the credit for this win has to go to Joe Quaid, who has coached this team from u-12 level to u-16 before being shafted by the county board.
    Was not Joe Quaid involved with this yrs U17s that won the U16 All Ire last yr? Pretty sure Eamon Cregan was involved with this particular group all the way up.

Was not Joe Quaid involved with this yrs U17s that won the U16 All Ire last yr? Pretty sure Eamon Cregan was involved with this particular group all the way up.
    I think he was yes.

Football team for the Longford game:

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffins)
    2. Andy Lane (St. Senan's)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St. Kieran's)
    4. Mark O'Riordan (Croom)
    5. Stephen Lavin (Adare)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Bobby O'Brien (Bruff)
    9. John Galvin (Croom)
    10. John Riordan (Fr. Casey's)
    11. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    12. Iain Corbett (Newcastle West)
    13. Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    14. Seanie Buckley (Captain) (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    15. Eoghan O'Connor (St. Mary's/Sean Finn's)

That's one change from the Cork game as far as I can tell, with Scanlon back in goal instead of Donal O'Sullivan.

Think it's a bit harsh on O'Sullivan tbh, he's arguably a better keeper. Surprised there isn't one or two more changes, we are severely lacking in scoring options again. Without Ryan, there's a big burden on Collins/O'Connor....I'm sure Buckley will chip in with one or two, but where else will scores come from?? Surprised he didn't give either Derry O'Connor or Seamus O'Carroll a start.

I thought the defence was good, and they are talented, but Cork just walked through us time after time, which was hugely disappointing. Longford won't be the same threat, but if we can't put the scores on the board, we'll be in trouble.

Football team for the Longford game:

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffins)
    2. Andy Lane (St. Senan's)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St. Kieran's)
    4. Mark O'Riordan (Croom)
    5. Stephen Lavin (Adare)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey's)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Bobby O'Brien (Bruff)
    9. John Galvin (Croom)
    10. John Riordan (Fr. Casey's)
    11. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    12. Iain Corbett (Newcastle West)
    13. Ger Collins (Monaleen)
    14. Seanie Buckley (Captain) (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    15. Eoghan O'Connor (St. Mary's/Sean Finn's)

That's one change from the Cork game as far as I can tell, with Scanlon back in goal instead of Donal O'Sullivan.

Think it's a bit harsh on O'Sullivan tbh, he's arguably a better keeper. Surprised there isn't one or two more changes, we are severely lacking in scoring options again. Without Ryan, there's a big burden on Collins/O'Connor....I'm sure Buckley will chip in with one or two, but where else will scores come from?? Surprised he didn't give either Derry O'Connor or Seamus O'Carroll a start.

I thought the defence was good, and they are talented, but Cork just walked through us time after time, which was hugely disappointing. Longford won't be the same threat, but if we can't put the scores on the board, we'll be in trouble.

I'm not a huge football follower, but I think the problems start with the manager. LK football has taken a big dive under him.

I'm not a huge football follower, but I think the problems start with the manager. LK football has taken a big dive under him.

We did get to our first ever quarter-final under him... and last year's performance in the qualifiers was good, we really should have beaten Kildare.

At the same time, we've found it harder against the big teams too...and last year's result to Clare wasn't great. I don't know. Not sure who we'd get that's better. Definitely think losing Donie Buckley was a blow though.

We did get to our first ever quarter-final under him... and last year's performance in the qualifiers was good, we really should have beaten Kildare.

At the same time, we've found it harder against the big teams too...and last year's result to Clare wasn't great. I don't know. Not sure who we'd get that's better. Definitely think losing Donie Buckley was a blow though.

Is he related to the mayo manager?

Forgot about that good run alright, just a shame the footballers never won a munster medal under kerins, they deserved one.

• Advertisement

Is he related to the mayo manager?

Forgot about that good run alright, just a shame the footballers never won a munster medal under kerins, they deserved one.

No, don't think he's related. He is from Mayo, although played for Limerick for a couple of years (under Kearns in fact).

It is a massive pity...or even under Mickey Ned. Definitely had our chances. Still, I think Longford are beatable this weekend.

No, don't think he's related. He is from Mayo, although played for Limerick for a couple of years (under Kearns in fact).

It is a massive pity...or even under Mickey Ned. Definitely had our chances. Still, I think Longford are beatable this weekend.

I was at the 1 in the gaelic grounds when we missed a last minute free to win it.

I'd say longford will win, with a bit to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

The loss of Ian Ryan is sooo significant. He been contributing so much to the scoreboard over the last few years. And supposedly if we do make it past longford, he might not be fit for the 2nd round of qualifiers either aaahh.
    We're abit light in the forwards like, wouldnt have minded seeing O' Carroll come in there at full forward. Has Seanie ever started or played at FF? news to me. Expecting him to pull out to the half forward line if anything. Derry O Connor scored 1-02 against Longford last year when he came on, he'll be a good subsitute to bring on and hopefully maybe he can reinact that same performance :P ..

Ahm, it's kinda hard to know where Longford are. Coming off the back of a loss to wicklow in the provincials by 2 points while we headed into the qualifier after a trouncing from cork. Like you cant compare cork and wicklow but at the same time, we cannot afford to play like we did against cork, which was sooooo disappointing , dead, lack of intensity :/ (gah, flashbacks of that match making me shudder now, CANT DO THAT AGAIN).

considering longford also lost to us last year as well in their home ground, they'll be out to avenge that defeat..
    They seemed to have a promising crop of young footballers with promotion to division 2 and all that craic last year (awkward when they got relegated again this year but still..). It's tough enough to call. Being the biased person that I am, I'd say Limk by... 3 points..

Disappointed I can't go to this :( Limerick football is kinda on the backbrake cause of the double munster hurling final at the moment but you seriously can't beat the feeling of when limerick win a football (or hurling, actually..) match, no matter who the opposition are :P :)

Also did I ever mention that fortune cookie I got about a month and a half ago saying that good things will happen to me July 14th. Here's hoping.. :pac:

If we can score, we'll win. But only Buckley, Collins & O'Connor are natural scoring forwards, I don't really agree with only selecting 3. Longford conceded 1-14 from play against Wicklow though, so they can be got at.

I hear Micheal Reidy has been called back onto the panel. He must be pretty old now...... still, he can score, has always been able to do that. Interesting move by Horan.

Absolutely trounced by Cork, showing little or no desire, and Horan decides to go with the same starting outfield 14?! The mind boggles.

Tom Lee had a nightmare last day out and Riordan doesn't inspire me with confidence either. The half forward line in general is weak. That's my main concern. Stephen Lucey should have come in at centre back. I wouldnt have hesitated in dropping Paudie Browne as I feel he brings little to the team.

I'm amazed Seamus O'Carroll hasn't been given a starting berth. Is Stephen Kelly named on the bench? I know he's back playing with Newcastle. Ian Ryan is a massive loss.

I can't see this game going well for us.
    I hear Micheal Reidy has been called back onto the panel. He must be pretty old now...... still, he can score, has always been able to do that. Interesting move by Horan.
    :eek: dear lord that's a backwards step! Michéal Reidy's day has come and gone. Severe shortage of forwards in the county if Horan is resorting to that.

I rate Riordan very very highly, but he's not a forward. He's not going to score, but he'll run and run and run, he'll make blocks, tackles, he'll try and set up chances, but his finishing often lets him down. (That said I think he scored our only goal from play during the league?)

As for Lee, I guess he just wants more ball-winners there... in fairness, we don't really have a natural centre-forward (maybe Buckley), but I definitely would have played O'Connor or O'Carroll somewhere in the forwards, I don't think we can go with just 3.

As for Kelly, no idea if he's on the bench, hope he is. Real pity he's not in the team, he could give us the edge we lack without Ryan. I also rate Browne, he's a good footballer imo, I wouldn't be against Lucey as a defensive anchor but I'd probably drop Lane rather than Browne.

And Reidy......his time may have come and gone.... although I don't think he always got a fair crack for Limerick tbh. But there is a real lack of forwards in Limerick. Ryan and Kelly are class, both injured. Buckley is very good..... O'Connor is coming on nicely. Collins isn't in great form. O'Carroll, O'Connor....not going to rack up huge scores. The rest of our forwards are really backs, bar maybe Danny Neville but he's very young and didn't even get a chance in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'd say longford will win, with a bit to spare.

You also said Tipp would beat us, we should be grand this weekend so!

jordainius wrote: »
    You also said Tipp would beat us, we should be grand this weekend so!

I'll openly admit to knowing nothing about football, i'll be happy for LK if they win, but they are as weak as any team in the country imo. Longford too, but home advantage can swing it.

Noticed that there are no stand tickets for sale at gaa.tickets.ie for July 14th.

Two days ago there were both Open stand and Mackey stand tickets - thought both were in the first block of the stand.

Anyone have the inside track on what the non club ticket situation will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

slegs wrote: »
    Noticed that there are no stand tickets for sale at gaa.tickets.ie for July 14th.

Two days ago there were both Open stand and Mackey stand tickets - thought both were in the first block of the stand.

Anyone have the inside track on what the non club ticket situation will be?

Yesterday they had Mackey and Open stand tickets on the official GAA ticket site and tickets.ie - they were for block 101 and 125... shocking tickets, better off in the terraces. I haven't checked the situation today. I'd say look into sourcing tickets from the local club scene. More will come available though closer to the match as Waterford get 5,000 tickets for the minor but I cannot see 5,000 Waterford fans traveling to the match for a minor clash, although Waterford fans are good followers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement