Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Did a preview of the match at the weekend:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/all-ireland-qualifiers-preview-longford-vs-limerick/

Despite me saying I'd never predict a Limerick win again, I have opted for a narrow victory. This is based on last year's game between the two teams + Longford's defence not being great + them missing Kavanagh & Quinn + John Galvin. And I don't think we can play as badly again.....surely.

Have to contain McCormack though, he's a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I rate Riordan very very highly, but he's not a forward. He's not going to score, but he'll run and run and run, he'll make blocks, tackles, he'll try and set up chances, but his finishing often lets him down. (That said I think he scored our only goal from play during the league?)

As for Lee, I guess he just wants more ball-winners there... in fairness, we don't really have a natural centre-forward (maybe Buckley), but I definitely would have played O'Connor or O'Carroll somewhere in the forwards, I don't think we can go with just 3.

As for Kelly, no idea if he's on the bench, hope he is. Real pity he's not in the team, he could give us the edge we lack without Ryan. I also rate Browne, he's a good footballer imo, I wouldn't be against Lucey as a defensive anchor but I'd probably drop Lane rather than Browne.

And Reidy......his time may have come and gone.... although I don't think he always got a fair crack for Limerick tbh. But there is a real lack of forwards in Limerick. Ryan and Kelly are class, both injured. Buckley is very good..... O'Connor is coming on nicely. Collins isn't in great form. O'Carroll, O'Connor....not going to rack up huge scores. The rest of our forwards are really backs, bar maybe Danny Neville but he's very young and didn't even get a chance in the league.

Most games when Riordan is named in the forwards he comes back as an extra back and then drives forward, dont know why this changed V Cork, but his form went rapidly towards the closing stages of the league. Maybe some injury that we dont know of.
    Tom Lee took a very heavy collision in the early stages V Cork and could'nt recover, but he's an honest player who had a fine league.
    Kelly is carrying a few niggles at the moment but would be ok for 35 mins (second half).
    Dont be surprised to see Lucey midfield.
    Browne had a great game in Longford last year, M.O.M i think.
    Derry O'Connor seems to be at his best when introduced as a sub, anytime i have watched him start he has been very disappointing, but looka like a Gooch when he comes on, capable of scoring amazing points.
    i think Reidy (34 or 35 now) is recalled to pull us over a crisis, just as Tommy Stack did 2 years ago when we had a defensive crisis. i have always admired Reidy and fair play to him for answering the call, NCW had no answer to him in last years county final and the replay, tried a few markers on him, but he scored the brilliant equaliser in the drawn game and 2/3 more in extra time in the replay. Simply put, if he's fed the right ball he will score.
    We need Collins to step up, he can score goals. So too can Seamus Carroll, he just needs to show more belief, as he can beat the best of defenders when he takes them on.
    i still believe we can win this one. bit disappointed Donal O'Sullivan has been dropped as i feel he has surpassed Scanlon at this stage. Maybe the mentors are looking at Scanlon's ability from long range frees.
    Feel some people are being harsh on the team after the Cork game, but the Rebels are serious A.I. contenders who can over-run most teams on a good day. Our footballers have given us some great days over the last decade and still deserve support.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TreatyGuy

Will there be terrace tickets available for juveniles for the Munster Final?

Agree with most of what washman said, I hope we can do it.

Good luck to the lads today!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Finton90

I presume that the game tonight is on live 95 with Liam Aherne.

• Advertisement

Finton90 wrote: »
    I presume that the game tonight is on live 95 with Liam Aherne.

Live on 95FM at 7pm. think Ger Downes is doing the commentary tonight.

TreatyGuy wrote: »

Ya, for €5 i think. i'll gat back to you with confirmation on that. there's actually group deals available for the unvovered stand, something like 10 juveniles and 1 adult for supervision. This is probably available through a club only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

TreatyGuy wrote: »

At the Tipp match all terrace were 15 euro. Kids on the terrace were the same 15 euro. There was no cheap terrace tickets for kids. This was the Ennis Rd. end terrace.

Does anyone know and can they please confirm if tickets be they terrace or stand will be going on sale from the GG sometime before the 14th of July?

Shocking result for Limerick :(

Just never really in the game, goal after half-time killed it, Longford came flying out of the blocks and after that, no chance. Reduced to 13 men too which is very disappointing.

The players are better than that....that kind of result is not a reflection of their abilities. But maybe of their performance. We do have Division 3 football next year, but this could be the end for Horan, because we shouldn't be losing by 11 to Longford.

We can never seem to have a good year in both hurling and football in one season.

Lost 2-14 to 0-09 very disappointed.
    the bad vibes coming from the camp during the week proved to be true.
    some players seemed totally uninterested. had really hoped that our battling tradition would pull us through.
    End of the line for Horan definately. These players are better than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

jordainius wrote: »
    You also said Tipp would beat us, we should be grand this weekend so!

Unfortunately not.

Best go out to a team like Longford rather than be humiliated further down the line.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Unfortunately not.

Best go out to a team like Longford rather than be humiliated further down the line.

It's really not. Defeatist attitude tbqh.

That wasn't good enough, and questions need to be asked. Awful shame if the likes of McCarthy, Ranahan, Buckley, Galvin bow out in this kind of mediocrity.

Underage football in Limerick is just not at a good enough standard, something needs to be done about that. We get the odd decent player every year or two but we're mainly living off the same crop of players for the past 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Defeatist attitude tbqh.

Realistic, I'd call it. We're just not capable of challenging on both fronts so it makes more sense to plough the vast majority of available resources into hurling.

Realistic, I'd call it. We're just not capable of challenging on both fronts so it makes more sense to plough the vast majority of available resources into hurling.

To want to lose at this stage?

No, it's not. We should go out trying to win every game, and at least putting up a good performance if nothing else.

For about 10 years we had a good football team, they gave a lot of performances for us to be very proud of, should have won a few Munsters. Okay, the hurling team weren't that successful in the same time, but it wasn't down to lack of talent...we had the 3-in-a-row U-21 team that simply went to waste.

There is no reason why we can't compete at some level on both fronts. The treatment underage football gets in this county is pretty shameful tbh, the likes of Tipp have gone and been very successful at underage level in both codes, no reason why we can't do the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The footballers did give us some good memories over the last 10 years or so, but they were the exception which proved the rule basically. There's a good reason we've gone 117 years without a Munster title and that reason holds as true now as it ever did; we're a hurling county and it's the only viable route to Croker for (almost) any young lad with serious ambitions.

Yes the likes of Tipp have made progress at underage, but there's a colossal difference between an isolated minor success and any real advance at senior.

I don't think it is an isolated incident, Tipp have been consistently good at underage level in recent seasons, putting it up to the likes of Kerry and Cork. I think that will translate eventually.

I'm not expecting us to be All-Ireland contenders or anything, I just don't want us to descend into the doldrums. I would be completely against either sport giving preferential treatment at underage level, if players want to play one over another, that is fine, but the setups should be on a similar footing.

Making our young footballers halfway decent is not going to make us bad hurlers, they are not in competition with one another. (Obviously there are a few players who are brilliant at both, but that's fine, they can make their own choice).

The success since getting to the U-21 final in 2000 is something which should be built upon for the future. If we go back to shít, that would be absolutely gutting.

I agree. We've a realistic chance of winning the hurling this year, let's hope we can do it.

I'd like the footballers to do well, but this dual thing is a waste of space, if a player is good concentrate on the hurling.

It's really not. Defeatist attitude tbqh.

That wasn't good enough, and questions need to be asked. Awful shame if the likes of McCarthy, Ranahan, Buckley, Galvin bow out in this kind of mediocrity.

Underage football in Limerick is just not at a good enough standard, something needs to be done about that. We get the odd decent player every year or two but we're mainly living off the same crop of players for the past 10 years.

I certainly agree with this,,,,particularly Galvin, a player who could have 6 All Irelands if he was a Kerryman, but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

There isn't going to be that much of a crossover between hurling and football.... obviously there were the likes of Lucey, O'Riordan, Fitzgerald, Begley, Geary... but they were a particularly talented group of players, and in fairness to Lucey and O'Riordan, they played dual for plenty years, you can't fault their effort, gave everything to their county.

Someone like Stephen Lavin was on the hurling panel for a short while but he was never really good enough and he's a very talented footballer. I personally think James Ryan is a better footballer too (although still a great player to have on the hurling team). But realistically, in the west, it is mostly football-oriented. I don't think there's a shortage of players...... but we should be taking somewhere like Tipp as a model, and put similar structures in place, and get the best out of the players we do have.

I don't care if players who are good at both choose one over the other... (they do in Cork after all), as long as the ones that do want to play football get a fair chance.

And I think Horan should go too..... I personally don't think the players we had out are a team that are 11 points worse than Longford. Tactically, he might be a bit lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There isn't going to be that much of a crossover between hurling and football.... obviously there were the likes of Lucey, O'Riordan, Fitzgerald, Begley, Geary... but they were a particularly talented group of players, and in fairness to Lucey and O'Riordan, they played dual for plenty years, you can't fault their effort, gave everything to their county.

Someone like Stephen Lavin was on the hurling panel for a short while but he was never really good enough and he's a very talented footballer. I personally think James Ryan is a better footballer too (although still a great player to have on the hurling team). But realistically, in the west, it is mostly football-oriented. I don't think there's a shortage of players...... but we should be taking somewhere like Tipp as a model, and put similar structures in place, and get the best out of the players we do have.

I don't care if players who are good at both choose one over the other... (they do in Cork after all), as long as the ones that do want to play football get a fair chance.

And I think Horan should go too..... I personally don't think the players we had out are a team that are 11 points worse than Longford. Tactically, he might be a bit lacking.

A common misconception about West Limerick - that it more football orientated. It's not. Yes, there are more senior football clubs than senior hurling clubs in the West. But as a whole, there are 12 clubs who would be either exclusively hurling or stronger in that code, and the same number for football. So it's very much 50/50.

Places like Feoghanagh, Killeedy, Monagea, Croagh, Tournafulla, Knockaderry, Askeaton - they might not be senior but they are as passionate and knowledgable about their hurling as anyone from Kilmallock or Castleconnell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think something is very tactically lacking, when you watch the team throw the ball backwards or sidewards, anything but kicking it forward. There was no drive or passion from the team on Saturday night. I don't think Horan is the man for the job anymore, and he has to go.

grenache wrote: »
    A common misconception about West Limerick - that it more football orientated. It's not. Yes, there are more senior football clubs than senior hurling clubs in the West. But as a whole, there are 12 clubs who would be either exclusively hurling or stronger in that code, and the same number for football. So it's very much 50/50.

Places like Feoghanagh, Killeedy, Monagea, Croagh, Tournafulla, Knockaderry, Askeaton - they might not be senior but they are as passionate and knowledgable about their hurling as anyone from Kilmallock or Castleconnell.

Okay, that's fair enough... but most of those clubs are smaller, and someone like Askeaton play hurling but Ballysteen play football and have had 2 Ranahans, Shane Gallagher, Raymond Hayes & Danny Neville on the football panel in recent years.

I'm not saying there's no hurling out west, but the big clubs who would have more players on intercounty teams, the likes of Fr. Casey's, NCW, St. Kieran's I suppose...tend to be better at football.

And of course, there's no reason why they wouldn't be as knowledgeable or passionate about hurling as someone from a "hurling area".

I'd wonder though, who would the county board get in if they do decide to replace Horan? There's no point bringing in someone worse... but they don't have a lot of money, they're in debt and they've spent quite a bit in recent years. I think, above all, that Donie Buckley was a massive loss to Limerick football, and Mayo seem to benefiting from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

how much are terrace tickets for sunday week?

tommullane wrote: »
    how much are terrace tickets for sunday week?

€20...you get €5 back on the day if you're a student/OAP.

Juveniles are €5 in anywhere if you buy them as family tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Apparently, the game is going to sell out easily and demand from clubs is very high for tickets - higher than they expected. That is why stand tickets were taken off sale from gaa.tickets.ie.

slegs wrote: »
    Apparently, the game is going to sell out easily and demand from clubs is very high for tickets - higher than they expected. That is why stand tickets were taken off sale from gaa.tickets.ie.

I think 44000 would easily have been expected, it's well capable of holding 49000 at least imo.

I'd better get a ticket...assume I will, club generally delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

I think 44000 would easily have been expected, it's well capable of holding 49000 at least imo.

Its like a return to the mid nineties when tickets were genuinely hard to get!

fire and safety regulations have it down to 44,000 unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

There must have been 55K in there in '96 for the clare game, ive never been in such a tight crowd in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

slegs wrote: »
    Its like a return to the mid nineties when tickets were genuinely hard to get!

Stand tickets maybe. But terrace tickets are widely available online and through Super Valu's etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement