Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd say he'll be faithful, but hopefully he brings in an extra scoring forward in for Breen, who was poor.

To get myself in the mood for the match, I've been watching the 94 Munster clash between the two sides in the Gaelic Grounds when a young Limerick side shocked a fancied Cork team. Pretty detailed highlights on youtube. Was a horrible wet day, lots of slipping, some mistakes, but it was a great game of hurling....8 goals. A real Munster championship clash, if the final is as good as that game, I'll be delighted.

Limerick were 8 points down early in the first half, scored 3 goals before half-time. Gary Kirby was on fire in the first half, scored 2-1 from play, but once Brian Corcoran went onto him, he kept him very quiet. Ciaran Carey was fantastic, as was Dave Clarke. Pat Heffernan scored 2-0 for Limerick. Mike Galligan was some man for sweeping up loose ball and scoring, lovely hurler. Kevin Murray scored 2-0 for Cork off the bench.

Joe Quaid made 4 or 5 spectacular saves despite letting in 4 goals, it was his debut too. Couple of things you'd notice as different...game was fairly loose, very physical too, mightn't get away with some of the wild swings now. Also a lot more overhead flicks and first-time pulls in the air. Pat Heffernan scored a beauty of a goal with a flick over Cunningham, you'd miss that kinda thing. And players seemed willing to go for goal from distance, Quaid had to make one top class stop from 30 yards.

Great game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd say he'll be faithful, but hopefully he brings in an extra scoring forward in for Breen, who was poor.

To get myself in the mood for the match, I've been watching the 94 Munster clash between the two sides in the Gaelic Grounds when a young Limerick side shocked a fancied Cork team. Pretty detailed highlights on youtube. Was a horrible wet day, lots of slipping, some mistakes, but it was a great game of hurling....8 goals. A real Munster championship clash, if the final is as good as that game, I'll be delighted.

Limerick were 8 points down early in the first half, scored 3 goals before half-time. Gary Kirby was on fire in the first half, scored 2-1 from play, but once Brian Corcoran went onto him, he kept him very quiet. Ciaran Carey was fantastic, as was Dave Clarke. Pat Heffernan scored 2-0 for Limerick. Mike Galligan was some man for sweeping up loose ball and scoring, lovely hurler. Kevin Murray scored 2-0 for Cork off the bench.

Joe Quaid made 4 or 5 spectacular saves despite letting in 4 goals, it was his debut too. Couple of things you'd notice as different...game was fairly loose, very physical too, mightn't get away with some of the wild swings now. Also a lot more overhead flicks and first-time pulls in the air. Pat Heffernan scored a beauty of a goal with a flick over Cunningham, you'd miss that kinda thing. And players seemed willing to go for goal from distance, Quaid had to make one top class stop from 30 yards.

Great game though.

Was that the game that Limerick scored a goal via a class sidefoot into the corner from a forward that had lost his hurley.
    And was one of the other goals the little overhead flick as the ball was going wide, the flick just changed the direction of the ball back on target across an unexpected Ger Cunningham.

Two class goals.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Was that the game that Limerick scored a goal via a class sidefoot into the corner from a forward that had lost his hurley.
    And was one of the other goals the little overhead flick as the ball was going wide, the flick just changed the direction of the ball back on target across an unexpected Ger Cunningham.

Two class goals.

Yeah, they were Heffernan's two. Both Kirby's were class aswell, a low, driven shot across Cunningham and another flick from a Houlihan free which dropped around the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Great game though.

I was at that game, it was 5th of June. Terrible wet day. Cork started off like an express train. Mark Mullins was terrorising Don Flynn and once Ger Manley scored Cork's second goal after 20 odd minutes, we all thought it would be a repeat of the '92 Munster final. Gary Kirby's overhead pulled goal started the fight-back. Heffernan kicked the second goal before laying on a beautiful pass to Kirby for a quite brilliant third.

Second half just as crazy, real end to end stuff, Murray the Cork supersub scored two bullets for Cork - always feared him when was introduced. Joe Quaid was MOM, some of the saves he made were ridiculous. Frankie Carroll was the next best for Limerick. I think Seanie O'Gorman was full back for Cork and Heffernan gave him hell the whole game - he was wandering everywhere. The flicked goal in the second half was outrageous. Best game of hurling I've ever attended.

On a separate issue, I went into Boylesports yesterday to price the minors - they have Waterford at 11/10 and Limerick outsiders at 3/1!! I'm gonna put a few bob on that. Having seen them against Tipp, I feel they are well capable of beating Waterford - whether it will happen is another question. But certainly those odds are kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

washman3 wrote: »
    Fine view trom the terraces in Limerick. and they can both hold massive crowds. Only thing about the city end is you can be blinded on a sunny day.
    But if you can get in early enough you can go fairly high up on the curvy bit near the corners (if you know what i mean). View can be as good as a stand seat. You should try and make it Dude, a unique occasion, and hopefully a narrow Limerick win.! but it will be tough.
    If everything had gone to plan for the 'big 2' we would have been travelling to Dublin to play ye this weekend. The joys of championship.:D

Yeah, got my ticket (City end). Looking forward to it. Have been meaning to go to a Munster hurling final for years. And think this year could be the most competetive for a while (would have preferred Limerick - Clare though)

By the way, I am Galway, not Dublin. Was just living in Inchicore when I signed up to this!

Thanks for the tips on where to stand. I havent been to Gaelic Grounds in nearly 10 years at this stage. And cant remember it too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

grenache wrote: »
    I was at that game, it was 5th of June. Terrible wet day. Cork started off like an express train. Mark Mullins was terrorising Don Flynn and once Ger Manley scored Cork's second goal after 20 odd minutes, we all thought it would be a repeat of the '92 Munster final. Gary Kirby's overhead pulled goal started the fight-back. Heffernan kicked the second goal before laying on a beautiful pass to Kirby for a quite brilliant third.

Second half just as crazy, real end to end stuff, Murray the Cork supersub scored two bullets for Cork - always feared him when was introduced. Joe Quaid was MOM, some of the saves he made were ridiculous. Frankie Carroll was the next best for Limerick. I think Seanie O'Gorman was full back for Cork and Heffernan gave him hell the whole game - he was wandering everywhere. The flicked goal in the second half was outrageous. Best game of hurling I've ever attended.

On a separate issue, I went into Boylesports yesterday to price the minors - they have Waterford at 11/10 and Limerick outsiders at 3/1!! I'm gonna put a few bob on that. Having seen them against Tipp, I feel they are well capable of beating Waterford - whether it will happen is another question. But certainly those odds are kind.

Was there myself that day, only recall the 2 flicked goals and the saves from quaid. One of the saves was ridiculous it was like the guy was suspended in midair for a couple of seconds to actually get to the ball. Great game but not the best limerick one ive been to, that would be the replayed munster U21 final against tipp in the third all ireland year, ive never seen hurling like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

grenache wrote: »

Those odds make no sense and you have taken it up wrong i'm sure, its a two horse race, how can the favs be 11/10 and the outsdier 3/1, those are the odds to win the AI I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Open senior hurling training nights to the public
    04 July 2013
    Limerick County G.A.A. Board and the Limerick Senior hurling management are hosting a open senior hurling training nights to the public where the Limerick supporters and the public are welcome to watch Limerick senior hurling panel training before their Munster senior hurling final date with Cork on Sunday 14th July.

The training evenings will take place in the Gaelic Grounds this evening July 4th and Tuesday evening next July 9th at 7pm.
    - See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/Limerick/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=195885&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#sthash.HPWAvbSb.dpuf

Followed that up withe the 96 came in Pairc Ui Caoimh. A point down at half-time despite arguably dominating that half, Limerick came out in the 2nd half and absolutely blew Cork away, outscoring them by 3-11 to 0-3 in their own backyard, ending their unbeaten run there.

The intensity from the Limerick backs was ferocious- McDonagh, the Nashs, Clarke, Carey and Mark Foley making his debut was man-of-the-match. Seán Og o hAilpín made his debut for Cork off the bench, looked pretty good.

Mike Houlihan, with a broken jaw, broke 2 opposition hurleys in the first 10 minutes, was volleying every dropping ball about 40 yards down the pitch, was dropping sidelines around the edge of the square. Some man.

TJ Ryan came on when Quigley broke his thumb, and tortured the defence....game ended as a contest when Podge Tobin scored Limerick's 2nd goal, after O'Driscoll had scored an OG. Owen O'Neill scored 1-2 on his debut too. Skill levels weren't as high as the 94 game, even Limerick made lots of mistakes, but they were on a different level to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Those odds make no sense and you have taken it up wrong i'm sure, its a two horse race, how can the favs be 11/10 and the outsdier 3/1, those are the odds to win the AI I would imagine.

Absolutely.

The odds are WD 4/7, LK 13/8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Ah lads reading about the players from the 90s something else. People should read the examiner article with Joe quaid. Brings the memories of the 96 campaign back. Hoola like a nut case in midfield against Cork. Carey's point against Clare. 10 points down to Tipp at half time in the Munster final and the lads went straight back out and were out waiting for Tipp. Fellas were saying afterwards it was like mBeal na Blath.

I love Limerick and Cork games and both reams seem to bring the best out of each other whether it was the sully sending poor jack Foley flying and getting a monster point in Tom Semples field to when James Butler stuck one in the cork net in 01 in pairc ui Cork and Barry Foley getting a late sideline in the same game. Enter Cyril Farrell "he's capable of putting this over" Barry nails it and then "ah he's good at them Ger". I'll always remember Corcoran scoring on his knees in 04 in the Gaelic grounds too. Although we were on the receiving end of it looking back you'd have to appreciate the genius of Corcoran for Cork.

Devastated to be missing this but booked the holidays for the wrong weekend so will have to seek out an Irish bar in Hong Kong.

I know its insanity to dream that Limerick can win things but I can't see us losing next weekend. Honestly think this is our finest team for a long while and I've never seen a Limerick team come back and win like we did against tipp.

The game in 01 was amazing, another time when we weren't expected to do it. The Foley sideline was just incredible, we'd had a few bad years..... I was too young for 96, and only have the vaguest memory of beating Waterford in 97, so it was the first time I was aware of Limerick winning a Championship game.

I'm not going to take Cork for granted though. Remember before the Tipp game, there was a lot of dissatisfaction following the league campaign. People were questioning John Allen and the players, maybe not from sensible people, but we were written off all-round. One game can change everything, but Cork's performance was impressive too.

What about 94? I can't remember much from that year apart from the last few mins v Offaly.....sorry! :mad:

Rightwing wrote: »
    What about 94? I can't remember much from that year apart from the last few mins v Offaly.....sorry! :mad:

I don't remember 94 either...but we don't speak about that match.

Didn't we beat Clare by a good few in the Munster final and then we beat Antrim in the semi didn't we

I don't remember 94 either...but we don't speak about that match.

I was at that one, 96 was the one we really threw away.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Didn't we beat Clare by a good few in the Munster final and then we beat Antrim in the semi didn't we

You are def right about Antrim. I was wondering was it Clare, big rivalry back then with them.

Just checked, well called, 25 to 2-10, beat Clare. Locky learnt from that one.

Yeah we made a **** of it in 1996. Extra man for the majority of the game who we had no idea what to do with. Was it Steve McDonagh that was the loose man? Kirby taking frees with a broken finger/s. Tactically all over the shop. 94 was a freak but 96 we threw away.
    Here's that Joe Quaid article http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/for-love-of-limerick-195205.html

Browney7 wrote: »
    Yeah we made a **** of it in 1996. Extra man for the majority of the game who we had no idea what to do with. Was it Steve McDonagh that was the loose man? Kirby taking frees with a broken finger/s. Tactically all over the shop. 94 was a freak but 96 we threw away.
    Here's that Joe Quaid article http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/for-love-of-limerick-195205.html[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, you are spot on.

That Offaly team proved they were good as they went on to win another all ireland, i think v KK in 98. Also in the final v clare in 95.

Now, wexford were really limited. But they were dirty. 14 men,,,we;ve seen a lot of teams do well over the years, but we really, really blew that, had a perfect goal disallowed too, and the ref gave Wexford everything after the sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Absolutely.

The odds are WD 4/7, LK 13/8

Can someone explain to me how waterford are such favourites? Tipp beat them by 6 points when they were at home and they beat a recognised poor Cork team in the semi (according to people from Cork). Fair enough, solid schools teams bit so were ard scoil ris.

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    just a heads up guys.

City end terrace now sold out on tickets.ie

How are ticket sales now? Still on general sale from GG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I agree totally.How Mike Galligan did not play in that final is beyond belief.One really tasty hurler.
    Ghraeme Mulchay reminds me of him in some ways.

grimbergen wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how waterford are such favourites? Tipp beat them by 6 points when they were at home and they beat a recognised poor Cork team in the semi (according to people from Cork). Fair enough, solid schools teams bit so were ard scoil ris.

That Cork team was actually one of the best in years as it was the first one of the development squads.

The problem was the man in charge is a poor manager.I am not just saying it because we lost, I said this back in April after we beat Clare that i was far from convinced by him.

How are ticket sales now? Still on general sale from GG?

You can still get them on tickets.ie, terrace tickets,,the clare end.

Don't complain. Just put a bet on it... and build up the hype on Waterford, let our lads go in under the radar ;)

I think the manner of Waterford's win against Cork was impressive, coming back after a terrible start. We've kinda disappointed at minor level in recent years.

I agree totally.How Mike Galligan did not play in that final is beyond belief.One really tasty hurler.
    Ghraeme Mulchay reminds me of him in some ways.

Serious hurler. Very skilful.

Don't complain. Just put a bet on it... and build up the hype on Waterford, let our lads go in under the radar ;)

I think the manner of Waterford's win against Cork was impressive, coming back after a terrible start. We've kinda disappointed at minor level in recent years.

Serious hurler. Very skilful.

Galligan was certainly one that got away from us.He was born in Cork,in the North side.He had a superb first touch.

You can still get them on tickets.ie, terrace tickets,,the clare end.

Thanks, I have them already. Just wondering if the match will sell-out which I'd love to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The '94 game v Cork was nuts, Joe Quaid made 4 outstanding saves (he won his All-Star for that game alone), Cork were two goals up in the first half and then Limerick exploded into life and bagged 3 goals of their own by half time. For the first 20 minutes it really looked like a hammering was on the cards, given the start made and the saves Quaid made it could very easily have been a massacre. We hadn't beaten them in ages up to that game.

The Waterford game in the semi was a nervy affair, dominated the first half but in the end only beat a poor enough Waterford team (Kerry knocked them out the year before) by two points. Munster final was a comfortable enough win, Mike Galligan had a great game, Clare folk will always tell you that they made a bags of it tactically that day, their selectors moved Sean McMahon out to wing back because they were afraid Gary Kirby would give him a roasting, Galligan took full advantage of McMahon in his new unfamiliar surroundings.

The Antrim game was nothing more than a warm up game which was won easily enough and as for the final, we'll not say too much there. No matter how many times I watch that final I can never find an explanation as to how a team can just stop playing like that, it's weird, one of the most bizzarre collapses we'll ever see in sport, the only comfort we have as you touched on earlier is that that Offaly team was no flash in the pan.

jordainius wrote: »
    The '94 game v Cork was nuts, Joe Quaid made 4 outstanding saves (he won his All-Star for that game alone), Cork were two goals up in the first half and then Limerick exploded into life and bagged 3 goals of their own by half time. For the first 20 minutes it really looked like a hammering was on the cards, given the start made and the saves Quaid made it could very easily have been a massacre. We hadn't beaten them in ages up to that game.

The Waterford game in the semi was a nervy affair, dominated the first half but in the end only beat a poor enough Waterford team (Kerry knocked them out the year before) by two points. Munster final was a comfortable enough win, Mike Galligan had a great game, Clare folk will always tell you that they made a bags of it tactically that day, their selectors moved Sean McMahon out to wing back because they were afraid Gary Kirby would give him a roasting, Galligan took full advantage of McMahon in his new unfamiliar surroundings.

The Antrim game was nothing more than a warm up game which was won easily enough and as for the final, we'll not say too much there. No matter how many times I watch that final I can never find an explanation as to how a team can just stop playing like that, it's weird, one of the most bizzarre collapses we'll ever see in sport, the only comfort we have as you touched on earlier is that that Offaly team was no flash in the pan.

You can watch that game again? I was too young to have watched those games live, but I've seen them all since...when I was younger I was shown all of them. But that one...too horrible to watch more than once.

We had comebacks of our own...(Tipp in 96, Waterford 01, Tipp 07...I'm sure there are others) but none of them make up for throwing that away. Offaly were very very good...the Dooleys, Whelehans, Pilkington, Troy, Duignan, etc. serious hurlers. But that Limerick team were class too, and deserved an All-Ireland. Sickening stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

You can watch that game again? I was too young to have watched those games live, but I've seen them all since...when I was younger I was shown all of them. But that one...too horrible to watch more than once.

We had comebacks of our own...(Tipp in 96, Waterford 01, Tipp 07...I'm sure there are others) but none of them make up for throwing that away. Offaly were very very good...the Dooleys, Whelehans, Pilkington, Troy, Duignan, etc. serious hurlers. But that Limerick team were class too, and deserved an All-Ireland. Sickening stuff.

Being at that game was surreal, I'll never forget the sight of a (small) number of Offaly fans leaving in the few minutes before the comeback, I hate watching it, but its one of these things that no matter how many times you see it you still struggle to believe it, it fascinates me because it doesn't make any sense. It's such a shame they never got an All-Ireland, I believe if they won one that one or two more would have followed in the next few years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement