Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

slegs wrote: »
    The Ardhu (on front of old Ryan Hotel) is right beside Gaelic Grounds at City End and has a huge beer garden

I was there and you couldn't get a drink in the place for love nor money, anyone I was talking to in the beer garden were drinking can's they got in Lidl because it was taking over 20 mins to get a pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

grenache wrote: »
    You hear this a lot from people and it irks me. If limerick/cork or whoever, don't think they are capable of beating Kilkenny, they and their fans should not bother turning up. Kilkenny are not the team they were 3 or 4 years ago, that is for certain. Quite a lot of mileage in that squad of players and still heavily reliant on Shefflin. Dublin and Galway have shown they are beatable if the right system is employed. Dublin dragged them all over the place in Portlaoise with quick diagonal ball to their forwards. They also ran at them and took on the KK backs. James Woodlock for Tipp made huge inroads into their defence when he ran at them last weekend. Scored a good point and created one if not two goal opportunities. Most importantly both Tipp and Dublin (and Galway last year) hurled KK man to man, none of this dropping a man back into defence as a sweeper - that just plays right into Kilkenny's hands.

So lets hope for a clash with KK sooner rather than later. Wanting to avoid them just shows you think you're not good enough to beat them. And I think both cork and limerick are. If you want to be the best, you'll have to beat the best.

Well woulf Tipp rather have got KK, or Laois ? I'd say Clare aren't complaining with their draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

You hear this a lot from people and it irks me. If limerick/cork or whoever, don't think they are capable of beating Kilkenny, they and their fans should not bother turning up. Kilkenny are not the team they were 3 or 4 years ago, that is for certain. Quite a lot of mileage in that squad of players and still heavily reliant on Shefflin. Dublin and Galway have shown they are beatable if the right system is employed. Dublin dragged them all over the place in Portlaoise with quick diagonal ball to their forwards. They also ran at them and took on the KK backs. James Woodlock for Tipp made huge inroads into their defence when he ran at them last weekend. Scored a good point and created one if not two goal opportunities. Most importantly both Tipp and Dublin (and Galway last year) hurled KK man to man, none of this dropping a man back into defence as a sweeper - that just plays right into Kilkenny's hands.

So lets hope for a clash with KK sooner rather than later. Wanting to avoid them just shows you think you're not good enough to beat them. And I think both cork and limerick are. If you want to be the best, you'll have to beat the best.

Are you sure Dublin didn't play a sweeper in the replay V KK. I was only listening to the radio and thought I heard it mentioned a few times.

I was there and you couldn't get a drink in the place for love nor money, anyone I was talking to in the beer garden were drinking can's they got in Lidl because it was taking over 20 mins to get a pint!

Surely they'll cop themselves on the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Are you sure Dublin didn't play a sweeper in the replay V KK. I was only listening to the radio and thought I heard it mentioned a few times.

In not 100% sure. But they definitely didn't the first day out. If they did it in the replay they certainly took a gamble. I think man to man is the best way to hurl KK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just wanted to post a big Thank You to all in Limerick GAA for hosting a superb Feile. As a Dub with strong Limerick connection it was great for our club to win it, but more importantly for our lads to forge new friendships. They were hosted by Ahane and the reports that came back to the club were glowing. So from all at Boden thanks to Limerick GAA and Ahane for being great hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Is the team being named tonight like last time or on thurs?

Have heard mixed reports from players, some reckon there'll definitely be changes others reckon definitely an unchanged team... I still think last years half back line looked a bit tighter but am presuming the back 9 is gonna stay the same, plus Ryan and hickey. The only major candidate to change is Breen, who I still maintain didn't do too badly last day out. The cork half back line not as dominating as tipp's though and wouldn't mind seeing a more attacking player like downes, dowling, allis or Moran sneaking in. Would love to see downes or dowling back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There just isn't enough of them close by, it was next to impossible to get a drink before the Tipp/Limerick game and that only had an attendance of 20k, the loss of the Davin Arms has been a disaster.

Lidl is on that site now, where the Davin was. Plenty of drink of all sorts in there. Nothing to stop people buying and bringing it out to drink. And they sell bags of ice cubes too.:P Offlicence too at Ivans and a nice green area across the road.
    Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a park and ride at Patrickswell Racecourse, since the bulk of traffic will be coming that direction now that Cork are involved.? Would make a big difference to traffic in and around the city. And the bar could be open out there too. The buses could make it in and out in rapid time using the bus lanes.
    Suppose a bit of forward planning would be too much to ask for from all involved, County Board,Bus Eireann and the Racecourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Not on tickets.ie at all now.

Has it sold out I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

So, is it tommorrow night for the team announcement?

• Advertisement

So, is it tommorrow night for the team announcement?

Presume so. Come on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There seems to be a lot of rumours that Allen is going to make a couple of changes to the Tipp team, based on form in training.

Now, I have no idea whether these are anyway substantiated but it would be interesting. We do have the depth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Fireball07 wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of rumours that Allen is going to make a couple of changes to the Tipp team, based on form in training.

Now, I have no idea whether these are anyway substantiated but it would be interesting. We do have the depth now.
    Would love to see Conor Allis start instead of Breen. There still isn't enough scoring potential in our half- forward line as it is. He would bring a bit of pace.

Would love to see Conor Allis start instead of Breen. There still isn't enough scoring potential in our half- forward line as it is. He would bring a bit of pace.

Well, I wasn't at the open training sessions but apparently Allis has been in great form. But then again, Dowling was excellent the last day, and apparently Downes is looking good too.

Allis didn't make much of an impact from the bench, but he has huge pace and can score. Works very hard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Well, I wasn't at the open training sessions but apparently Allis has been in great form. But then again, Dowling was excellent the last day, and apparently Downes is looking good too.

Allis didn't make much of an impact from the bench, but he has huge pace and can score. Works very hard too.

I think one of David Breens best attributes is his pace with the ball in his hand, he works extremely hard for the team & is definitely willing to sacrifice his game for the team (vs Maher twice, vs Tommy Walsh last year). Also has a lovely strike of the ball/ can take a score. These are all very important assets for a member of the half forward line.

What's not in his favour is the none of the half forward line that started the last day are good at winning primary ball in the air. All 3 work extremely hard, are good defensively against their half back & are good running with the ball. James Ryan excellent at winning dirty aul ball on the ground as well.

I think you nearly have to have one of your half forwards with these attributes & can play with two of these players no problem. However I think ideally you need at a minimum 1 player who can win a few puckouts in the air & 1 who is a regular scoretaker.

Ideally all 3 half forwards would excel at all these aspects of the game but that is rare enough.

Personally I think Downes should start on 1 wing, Dowling at centre forward & Breen/ Ailis/ Ryan the other half forward. Would have Hickey midfield with Dodge or possibly James Ryan midfield with Hickey corner back.

This is obviously not going to happen. However the beauty of the differing opinions is that they are caused by stiff competition within the squad & 18 or 19 players contributing to a win over Tipp.

Roll on Sunday & that Limerick leave absolutely everything out on the field. That's all they can do & hopefully that'll earn them a Munster Championship.

I wrote a little piece for livegaelic, which is basically just me moaning about how tough it is supporting Limerick..... it wouldn't be the best written piece in the whole world, but it gets me in the mood for the match at least:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/limerick-hurling-regret-and-hope/

I also only heard today that Anthony Nash is related to Mike and Declan Nash. Kinda interesting. And the other goalie for this week's game also had a relation in the 94 & 96 clashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I wrote a little piece for livegaelic, which is basically just me moaning about how tough it is supporting Limerick..... it wouldn't be the best written piece in the whole world, but it gets me in the mood for the match at least:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/limerick-hurling-regret-and-hope/

I also only heard today that Anthony Nash is related to Mike and Declan Nash. Kinda interesting. And the other goalie for this week's game also had a relation in the 94 & 96 clashes.
    He is related on hes father side to the Nash brothers but also on hes mother side he is related to former limerick keeper Albert Shananhan.
    Nash's father is a guard and moved to Kanturk I think.

Cork lads have named their team:

http://www.gaacork.ie/taggedNews/273171/99/cork_senior_hurling_team_v_limerick
    1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk

2. Shane O'Neill 3. Stephen McDonnell 4. Conor O Sullivan
    Bishopstown Glen Rovers Sarsfields

5. Tom Kenny 6. Christopher Joyce 7. William Egan
    Grenagh Na Piarsaigh Kilbrin

8. Lorcan Mc Loughlin 9. Daniel Kearney
    Kanturk Sarsfields

10. Seamus Harnedy 11. Cian Mc Carthy 12. Pa Cronin
    St. Ita's Sarsfields Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell 14. Patrick Horgan 15. Conor Lehane
    Midleton Glen Rovers Midleton

16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
    18. Pa O'Mahony Midleton
    19. Colm Spillane Castlelyons
    20. Mark Ellis Millstreet
    21. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    22. Rob O'Shea Carrigaline
    23. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    24. Jamie Coughlan Newtownshandrum
    25. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    26. Michael Cussen Sarsfields

Thoughts?

McDonnell at full-back could be exposed, same with Kenny at wing-back.

Half-forward line and midfield look well up for a scrap though, will be tough to come out on top there. Bit surprised that Coughlan is on the bench after his performance the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Limerick v Cork- Quaid, Walsh, McCarthy, Condon, O'Brien, McNamara, O'Mahony; Browne, O'Grady; Breen, Ryan, Hickey; Mulcahy, Hannon, Tobin

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Limerick v Cork- Quaid, Walsh, McCarthy, Condon, O'Brien, McNamara, O'Mahony; Browne, O'Grady; Breen, Ryan, Hickey; Mulcahy, Hannon, Tobin

Hickey is the only 1 there I don't like, let's hope he makes me eat my words!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Limerick minors:
    C.Ryan;
    J.Porter R.English S.Finn;
    S.Ryan A LaTouche S.Flanagan;
    J.Bulter DODonovan;
    B.Nash D.Dempsey C.Lynch;
    D.Coleman R.Lynch P.Ryan

No change in either team for Sunday

bennyl10 wrote: »

Think it would have been stronger with one of Dowling/Allis/Downes ahead of Breen. That's the only change I'd have made.

Slightly surprised Morrissey hasn't made the minor team after the impression he made off the bench the last day. Any word on the Waterford team?

No surprises really. Relying on the subs to win it for us again. Certainly we'll finish stronger, hopefully we haven't run into trouble before then!

We need to have Hannon more involved, and mulcahy is due a big game after being well shackled last day out. I'd like to see breen set free to run at the cork defence, he can do damage if he's let. O'Brien needs to improve his deliveries too and probably tighten up marking too.

One thing I'm wondering about is that Cork have a clear weakness at full-back, McDonnell was exposed badly by Honan, and isn't a natural full-back, but is a good hurler.

If we play with a 2-man inside line, that will suit McDonnell and Cork down to the ground. So I wonder what are the chances of Breen being lumped in at full-forward, or Hannon either? I do think that playing someone like Downes would have been the most effective route.

Honan is a good, good player. I felt Clare had the upper hand there but failed to use him properly v Cork.

Not sure that team is set up to expose cork

Yeah breen at FF for a while might be the ticket, rotate the forwards and keep cork guessing.

If Mconnell doesn't follow hannon out it allows him free to knock over a few points if he does follow the boys inside can do damage.

We've got better hurlers on the bench no doubt, not sure i'll ever be happy with that but the same 15 and the management deserve the benefit of the doubt at this stage.

Not comfortable with this are we going to be 6 points down when we reach for the bench, would like to start more scorers and give cork the headaches. Argghhh its going to be torture from here to 4 on sunday, and then the intensity gets turned up to 11.

C'mon limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Not sure that team is set up to expose cork

Yeah breen at FF for a while might be the ticket, rotate the forwards and keep cork guessing.

If Mconnell doesn't follow hannon out it allows him free to knock over a few points if he does follow the boys inside can do damage.

We've got better hurlers on the bench no doubt, not sure i'll ever be happy with that but the same 15 and the management deserve the benefit of the doubt at this stage.
    I would say the bench is even enough bar ye have allis,Dowling and downes but we have Coughlan and Moylan.

We are much better than the clare game bench wise.

In a game like this momentum is everything.That is why i cant belive Downes has not started.I still remain to be convinced by allen.Good managers always try and improve the team even if you win.

See Cody last week,Tj Reid a superb player called aside as not performing in the first half.

Allen has always been slow to make changes,was the same with Cork,once he gets stuck on certain players he always remains too loyal to them and for others once he has made he's mind up on them,very rarely he changes.

He should have went for the Juglar and started Downes and put Hannon out to Half forward on Kenny who is weak under the high ball.

As it is it suits Cork.I feel Egan may well mark Hannon and that swtich will happen during the game if not at the start.

Cronin will try and pull Mcnamara out of the centre with Harnedy and Kearney driving through the Centre.

• Advertisement

Got the 1979 post, same year I was born, a good omen surely!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement