Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Excellent post there Thinks, but maybe a bit harsh on Cork '06... Gardiner, Curran, Sean Óg, The Rock, Ben, Corcoran, Deane, not a bad outfit!

those players were superb hurlers and while the style of play Cork had suited them,their was no plan B in that final.The team looked a tired outfit,and a few fresh ideas and players like Cody has done year after year with KK would have got more from the team.The talent was their,the problem was Cork never evolved since 2004 where KK as only KK do had done and once Corks running game was halted so were Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Aidric wrote: »
    I'll be finding an Irish bar to watch this. Pumped for it and hope Limerick can deliver the goods on home turf. When they say it's a sell out what is the max capacity? 45/50k?

44,000 capacity, holds 50, but fire & safety regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

those players were superb hurlers and while the style of play Cork had suited them,their was no plan B in that final.The team looked a tired outfit,and a few fresh ideas and players like Cody has done year after year with KK would have got more from the team.The talent was their,the problem was Cork never evolved since 2004 where KK as only KK do had done and once Corks running game was halted so were Cork.

Absolute nonsense.

It took until 2010 for team to "evolve" as you put it to beat kk, and even then kk were minus shefflin.

Absolute nonsense.

It took until 2010 for team to "evolve" as you put it to beat kk, and even then kk were minus shefflin.
    What are you on about.I did not mention 2010 .Before you go on all.out attack read the post.My point was Cork had not improved from 04-to 06,where KK had.

What are you on about.I did not mention 2010 .Before you go on all.out attack read the post.My point was Cork had not improved from 04-to 06,where KK had.

Kk went on to be the greatest team of all time. Cork didn't equally improve. The cork team was approachibg the end of its cycle by the late 2000s and didn't have anything like the same talent coming through that kk did. I don't get the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Aertel are getting a bit ahead of themselves http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/204-1.html

Kk went on to be the greatest team of all time. Cork didn't equally improve. The cork team was approachibg the end of its cycle by the late 2000s and didn't have anything like the same talent coming through that kk did. I don't get the point.
    well if dont get the point fair enough but then dont attack it as nonense when you lack clarity.

The KK team were the greatest ever but in 2006 were at the start of another cycle and were vulernable then where from then on KK were pretty invinicble for a few years.

The 2006 team were certainly beatable.As one dimenshional we were that day,KK could not put us away.

The KK team of 2008 would have beaten Cork out the gate as they did in the semi final even Donal Og cusack has admitted Cork were miles behind.

But he and many ex cork players felt that they were beatable in 2006.

In relation to Allen,both Cusack and tom Kenny today in an interview have said that Allen is one of the best man managers around.As i said before allen talents have always been getting the respect of the players.

kenny did not say he was a great tactian.Any Cork player when you mention O Grady or JBM always say they were shrewd managers with great understandings of the game.

With Allen,it is he's man management and motivation skills rather than tactics you hear praised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Tis a good point you make in fairness. KK couldn't put you away in that game, despite bring on top for a long period. I remember Tomás Mulcahy making a similar point at the time about KK targeting Cork's running/short passing game. They specifically tried to cut out Cusack's short puck-outs to stop it at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Well i'm off to france for the week, gutted to be missing this but will just have to tune in the long wave. Give it socks lads.

Luimneach abu.

Well i'm off to france for the week, gutted to be missing this but will just have to tune in the long wave. Give it socks lads.

Luimneach abu.

Unlucky with the timing. Hopefully we'll win & you have a bigger day in Sept

Enjoy the hol.

• Advertisement

well if dont get the point fair enough but then dont attack it as nonense when you lack clarity.

The KK team were the greatest ever but in 2006 were at the start of another cycle and were vulernable then where from then on KK were pretty invinicble for a few years.

The 2006 team were certainly beatable.As one dimenshional we were that day,KK could not put us away.

The KK team of 2008 would have beaten Cork out the gate as they did in the semi final even Donal Og cusack has admitted Cork were miles behind.

But he and many ex cork players felt that they were beatable in 2006.

In relation to Allen,both Cusack and tom Kenny today in an interview have said that Allen is one of the best man managers around.As i said before allen talents have always been getting the respect of the players.

kenny did not say he was a great tactian.Any Cork player when you mention O Grady or JBM always say they were shrewd managers with great understandings of the game.

With Allen,it is he's man management and motivation skills rather than tactics you hear praised.

Your point seems to be in a roundabout way that Allen is not very tactically astute because kk beat them in 2006, which is silly really.

You also state that DOG is more tactically astute than Allen which doesn't seem to be based on anything really. In fact, with limerick, with largely the same players Allen plays a far better style than DOG and immediately sorted out the full and centre back positions which DOG failed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Hi guys, travelling up for the game Sunday as a neutral. Could ye tell me where the best place out the ennis road would be to grab a bite to eat and soak up the pre match atmosphere (in the form of a pint) before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Hi guys, travelling up for the game Sunday as a neutral. Could ye tell me where the best place out the ennis road would be to grab a bite to eat and soak up the pre match atmosphere (in the form of a pint) before the game?

The Woodfield House Hotel & The Ardhu (not sure if still open?) are the closest to the ground and will sort you out on both counts.

Aidric wrote: »
    The Woodfield House Hotel & The Ardhu (not sure if still open?) are the closest to the ground and will sort you out on both counts.

Yep, they'll be packed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

RTE have done a very nice promo for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Not too bad.

Nerves are pretty bad at this stage, but no better man than Tom Ryan talking about a legend like Iron Mike to get you in the mood for a game against Cork.
    Westmeath rang looking for a challenge game so we went out to Ahane and played them. Mike Houlihan was togged, a brave man - and the hoor only out of hospital the previous Thursday. There was blood coming out of his gums, and his jaws were still wired up. Seven fcuking days later were going to Cork for championship. He had a big helmet on him with these big thick bars on hte faceguard. "Jaysus," I said to myself, "We still stick you centre-back, get you a bit of hurling and see how you go."
    He got an awful roasting, got cleaned out, was missing balls, the whole lot. They were all there on the sideline, saying to take him off. I said nothing and let him hurl away.
    Next thing,a big fcuking row started, a mother of a brawl. A Westmeath player came up and broke a hurley straight off the helmet and tehre was just a free-for-all, a bad row. Then they were saying, "He will definitely have to be taken off now."
    I would always wait, chance the fcuking things as long as I could. And he pulled off the helmet and fcuked it into the next field. And, Jesus Christ, he started hurling like there was no tomorrow. The fear was gone, you see, the row was after getting him going, the jaw forgotten about. Jesus Christ, he was driving balls 80 yards up the field, drop-striking balls and that. Houlihan was back.

Sure, he went down to Cork the following week and walked all over the cnuts.

Tis inspiring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Pa Cronin is fit and named to start at half forward. Best fielder of a ball on the pitch this Sunday. Will he start at 11 or stay on the wing?

And more importantly, who will be detailed to pick him up? If the numbers stay as they are it's GOM, but Cronin likes to roam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Not too bad.

Nerves are pretty bad at this stage, but no better man than Tom Ryan talking about a legend like Iron Mike to get you in the mood for a game against Cork.

Tis inspiring stuff.

Ah Iron Mike. What a man. There's a story of us playing Tipp in 96 in a challenge before the all Ireland. Bit of verbal jousting before the throw in, you know the way, apparently a Tipp lad said to Iron Mike something along the lines of "you won't get to play in an all Ireland final this year".

Now I don't know Iron Mike but I'd imagine he wouldn't respond too well to threats but the story goes anyway that Iron Mike let yet man have it anyway soon after the throw in and goes "you won't f**kin get to play an all Ireland final either".

Have the Irish bar found. 3 limerick shirts ready to go. All the old videos watched, old stories read. This is life, this is Hurling, this is the Munster Championship, this is Limericks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

We've got our Richie mac! YEAH.
    He is our legendary full back. YEAH.
    You want to score? You better watch your back. YEAH.
    Cos Richie mac will cut out your attack. YEAH.
    Take us to the Munster!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hon Limerick! Hopefully we'll finally get some of the silverware that we want.

• Advertisement

Off to the match soon, enjoy it anyway who's going.

I think we'll win by a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Thrilling comeback in the minor final, 2 late goals for Limerick, Draw 2-19 each

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Congratulations on a great win !

Any day Cork are bet in a Munster Final is a good day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Well done Limerick, enjoy it. Great scenes afterwards, fair oldschool.

The sending off was harsh. Cork should have been up by 4 or 5 at the break.
    Limerick picked off some great long range points, esp James Ryan's three.
    They can rightly enjoy this and let the hair down for a few days with the break to semi-finals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The famine is over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Lapin wrote: »
    Congratulations on a great win !

Any day Cork are bet in a Munster Final is a good day. :)

"bet"?

sorry as a cork man couldn't resist!

Congrats Limerick totally deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Congrats Limerick. Fantastic day, great atmosphere. Hard call on the red card but its the way the game has gone. Cork really should have nothing to fear from KK.

Hope Limerick enjoy couple days and then get down to work. They have a great shot at winning it all this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

In the two games we've finished like a train. Everything seemed to be going over the bar. What a day. I'd have given anything to be in Limerick today. What a victory.

Richie was fantastic in the first half. He's a great full back. Its a long time since limerick scored 24 points in proper championship hurling. I'm like a kid on Christmas day. 16 long years. All the years of hurt all forgotten now. From Abbeyfeale to Doon from Kilmallock to Croom they'll be dancing in the streets tonight. What a day. What a victory. What a team.

Absolutely Fantastic!! Hup the treaty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Congratulations to the Limerick team and supporters, having waited so long, enjoy the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Browney7 wrote: »
    In the two games we've finished like a train. Everything seemed to be going over the bar. What a day. I'd have given anything to be in Limerick today. What a victory.

Paint Hong Kong green and white for us! :D Were you following on the radio or on TV?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement