Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Great day, what an atmosphere. I didn't really see the sending off, but it changed the game. No question about that. I felt we were very lucky to be level at that stage.

Well done lads.

Dowling must surely start the day :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rightwing wrote: »
    Dowling must surely start the day :rolleyes:

The lad is a legend. He was amazing to listen to on the radio, as usual!

The lad is a legend. He was amazing to listen to on the radio, as usual!

Top, top class performance. I was on the city terrace, the backs deserve huge credit too for the first half, R McCarthy - what a game.

Cork kept catching us out with short puckouts & the backs were under constant pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Paint Hong Kong green and white for us! :D Were you following on the radio or on TV?

Stop man. Telly in an Irish pub. Only paddy there. Still unbelievable though to see those scenes. Looked like half the city came in for the invasion!!

Browney7 wrote: »
    Stop man. Telly in an Irish pub. Only paddy there. Still unbelievable though to see those scenes. Looked like half the city came in for the invasion!!

It's not often you see Cork outnumbered for a hurling match, must have been 3/4 to 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Rightwing wrote: »
    I didn't really see the sending off, but it changed the game. :

Not true, in 1996 wexford had a player sent off in the first half and won the all Ireland.

1 player is not worth 9 points, and, cork had the wind in the first half along with limerick playing into the sun.

Not true, in 1996 wexford had a player sent off in the first half and won the all Ireland.

1 player is not worth 9 points, and, cork had the wind in the first half along with limerick playing into the sun.

Every game is different. I'm not saying we wouldn't have won, but Cork seemed to collapse, what did they score, 5 points in the 2nd half?

As for the minor, we were very lucky, but have to give them credit for fighting back with 2 late goals. That was 1 good WD team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Congratuations,to Limerick.If I was not a Corkman,I'd be celebrating with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There wont be a cow milked in Caherdavin for a week....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Unreal atmosphere in the City end terrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Who got Man of the Match?

angeleyes wrote: »

I think that won't be announced until the Sunday game at 9:30

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I think that won't be announced until the Sunday game at 9:30

Ah ok thanks Copper_pipe

Unreal atmosphere in the City end terrace

Great atmosphere there alright, just as well they reduced the capacity up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭billyhead

Well done Limerick. Great win. I am a Dub born and bred with Limerick blood in me and would love to see them win the AI if Dublin don't prevail. Best of luck in the semis. Hopefully we will meet you in the final:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What a day! After 17 years... to actually win it, a pretty unforgettable moment. I'm not even sure it has fully kicked in yet, we are Munster champions..... the fans were unbelievable, and just looking back at that pitch invasion, it was pretty special.

As for the match itself, it was a poor enough first half from our pov...a great start but Cork were well on top, Harnedy and Cronin in particular stood out, they were fantastic. But they hit so many bad wides, the fact that we were going in level at half-time was amazing, I felt we were going to do it then, having the bench we had. The red card was obviously a big factor, and while technically it may have been one, it was harsh. After that, I suppose they were never going to do it in that heat (but I think we would have won anyway).

Second half, we looked a lot better, we were utterly dominant in defence, and while at one stage, Cork pegged it back to 2 points (Naughton and Cronin both scored great points), we kicked on once we emptied the bench, Downes and Dowling both made huge impressions. A goal would have been nice, but we were clinical in taking our points.

Jim-Bob, deserved man-of-the-match, he was immense. Some fantastic points, his work rate was huge, he seemed to be everywhere.

Been a critic of Breen in the past, thought he was one of our few players to look good in the first half, Richie Mc- very solid again, Mulcahy grew into the game in the 2nd half, Paul Browne and Hickey both got through an amount of work too. It wasn't all perfect but I'm not going to criticise anyone today, after doing what we've been waiting for for years.

Well done to the minors too, showed great heart to fight back from 7 or 8 points down with about 10 minutes to go, Lynch and Morrissey scored goals and could have sneaked it at the end.

Unbelievable day. DOG's speech aswell, pretty good, better than some of the other ones that drag on and on with thank yous. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

im a limk man and i think cork woulda won bar the crazy sending off, i dont think it was even a yellow

Dr Nic wrote: »
    im a limk man and i think cork woulda won bar the crazy sending off, i dont think it was even a yellow

It was a yellow, no question about, but only a yellow.

Cork blew it in the 1st half, they needed to 5/6 points up with the dominance they had.

Minors were 8 down at 1 stage and made a great comeback, hopefully they can win the replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fairplay lads some win, nice to see ye do it. No doubt Horgan's sending off had a big impact, and the wrong call I reckon but I wouldn't begrudge ye the rub of the green (hope the Cork lads don't either). Having been outplayed in the first half, going into the second half level and with the wind and wit that bench I reckon ye would have snuck it anyway.

When was the last time a team won a Munster without leaving their own County though, eh? ;) Messing of course, thoroughly deserved some great displays from Richie McCarthy, DOG and James Ryan in particular and some great scores taken too.

Well done on the comeback in the minor too, forgive me but I would have physically vomited though had we lost. Last night's wounds are fresh enough as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Well done Limerick. Ye were the better team in the 2 munster championsip matches ye have played this year and are deserving Munster champions.

It was my first Munster hurling final today. I was in the City end terrace and it is an atmosphere that I shall never forget. I agree with the GAA on trying to ban pitch invasions. But I have to admit that it was a pretty spectacular scene today.

I thought your full back and centre back were really really big players for ye today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

congrats to Limerick.

look where ye were in 2010 and the whole Justin Mccarthy saga and now youre Munster champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

angeleyes wrote: »

James 'Jimbob' Ryan got M.O.M.
    shaded it from Deccie Hannon and Richie Mac (who would have been my pick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Does anyone think Hannon has been getting a bit more credit than he's due in the last two games? I though O'Neill had him in his pocket yesterday (to be fair I actually think Shane O'Neill is better than Brian Murphy). He got two points fro play, one after two minutes but it was halfway through the second half when cleverly moved into full forward where he had a height advantage on O'Neill he got his second. Yes he scored a sideline, doesn't say much about how a lad is playing.

Not saying he's an over hyped players, he's brilliantly talented player but his last two performances seem to have been over hyped. Was at full forward in the GAA team of the week against Tipp and I thought he was quite poor. Maybe open spaces on a bigger field will suit him a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nah I think that's fair enough about Hannon, thought he was relatively poor yesterday.

However, he still scored 0-2 from play. But if we want to go further, we will need him to raise his game. Still, criticising players on the day we won Munster isn't something I want to do....plenty of time to review stuff in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Corkman here. Congrats to Limerick, well deserved. Couldn't really begrudge it to ye as ye have had some hard times recently so it's nice to see success shared around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ah god, yesterday was just up there with the best days ever. Like in the last 5 minutes, yknow when your team is a good few points ahead but you still don't want to believe its over until its over.
    All I could hear was someone behind me "lads, it's not over. cork could pull an offaly on us and shade it like 94!!" :P

Like Richie Mc was just class. As was our full back line in general. Like Richie, if he keeps it up, definite all star in the bag. Some man.
    I agree with Fireball and Mount though, there's alot more in Hannon than what was on show yesterday. Although that point from the sideline was absolutely beautifuuuul. Like sometiiimes, his work rate in comparison to players like jim ryan and wayne mc, they'd literally run themselves out of their skins yknow while then sometimes I just feel Hannon is abit...slack? Maybe I'm alone on that view but that's just what I see sometimes when I'd be watching. Not denying the fact that he's probably one of the most talented players on the pitch cause he is. All the same 8 points yesterday, can haaaardly complain :P
    And clearing our bench. Reaally worked bringing on players like Shane Dowling, Downes etc. Great having a wide range of options.

Brought a tear to my eye seeing Moran score that point when he came on. Such a servant to Limerick hurling over the years. just getting to see the likes of Moran and Dodge finally get a munster medal, just unbelievable. So happy for them.

And that pitch invasion at the end. And that speech. And seeing Dodge lift the cup. And just everything about it. Unfortunately I was only 2 when Limerick last won Munster, so finally getting to experience it after the years of coming so close (and other years, not so close.. :p), was unforgettable.
    Ah im so cringe. But it's claaaass being able to say to people after the match "i'll see ya in croker sure". Unreal. H'on Limerick :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Well done lads, as a Dub I loved every minute of our win over Galway so I know what its like. Treasure days like yesterday, stuff of dreams.

Maybe we'll see you in the finals. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement