Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

So who would you guys think will win the next round of matches?

Will Galway overcome Clare or will Cork sneak past Kilkenny?

Assuming Galway do beat Clare and for the sake of argument Kilkenny do beat Cork will Limerick meet Kilkenny next or Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

angeleyes wrote: »

Assuming Galway do beat Clare and for the sake of argument Kilkenny do beat Cork will Limerick meet Kilkenny next or Galway.

Should Kilkenny and Galway win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Kilkenny and Limerick v Galway.

Should Kilkenny and Clare win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Clare and Limerick v Kilkenny.

Should Cork and Galway win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Cork and Limerick v Galway.

Should Cork and Clare win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Cork and Limerick v Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Rightwing wrote: »
    Should Kilkenny and Galway win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Kilkenny and Limerick v Galway.

Should Kilkenny and Clare win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Clare and Limerick v Kilkenny.

Should Cork and Galway win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Cork and Limerick v Galway.

Should Cork and Clare win, the semi-finals will be Dublin v Cork and Limerick v Clare.

Well explained ,this always causes some controversy , easy to see why:p Limerick may be better off facing KK in a semi than in the final :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

angeleyes wrote: »

Em, they're hardly mutuall exclusive! :confused:

Cork's chances to me are dependatn on the availability of Horgan. Very hard to see them winning without him, but not impossible. I think Galway will recover from the Leinster final and the Clare backs are there for the taking. On the flip side, so are Galway's. It's a pity both of their managers are so defensively orientated as they both have killer forward lines, and average enough backs. Could be an absolute goalfest if they went about it the right way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Have the 1/4 finals been fixed for Sunday August 11. if so, then Horgan can play assuming he just gets the 4 weeks.
    I hope he can line out anyway as being sent off yesterday was punishment enough. It was just a lazy swipe/tap/pull or whatever people like to call it.
    untypical of him TBF but the refs are following a directive now that careless/ lazy swipes must be punished. A lot of this comes from Pauric Mahers crazy swipe on Michael Rice last year which almost finished Rice's career. That swipe went totally unpunished BTW.
    A full Cork team V Kilkenny would be very hard to call. and don't rule out a Brian Murphy return.
    Clare V Galway.? again impossible to call but I would say the Banner will shade it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

1/4 finals are in 28th of july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

washman3 wrote: »
    Have the 1/4 finals been fixed for Sunday August 11. if so, then Horgan can play assuming he just gets the 4 weeks.
    I hope he can line out anyway as being sent off yesterday was punishment enough. It was just a lazy swipe/tap/pull or whatever people like to call it.
    untypical of him TBF but the refs are following a directive now that careless/ lazy swipes must be punished. A lot of this comes from Pauric Mahers crazy swipe on Michael Rice last year which almost finished Rice's career. That swipe went totally unpunished BTW.
    A full Cork team V Kilkenny would be very hard to call. and don't rule out a Brian Murphy return.
    Clare V Galway.? again impossible to call but I would say the Banner will shade it.
    their is no hope brian murphy will be back.

1/4 finals are in 28th of july

Well that definitely rules Brian Murphy out and unless Horgans red card is recended (which will hardly happen) he is out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

washman3 wrote: »
    Well that definitely rules Brian Murphy out and unless Horgans red card is recended (which will hardly happen) he is out too.

Suspension is 1 match I thought anyway (not time related anymore) so it doesn't matter what weekend its on

slegs wrote: »
    Suspension is 1 match I thought anyway (not time related anymore) so it doesn't matter what weekend its on
    Bob ryan the CCB chairman more or less said they would appeal it.

I would like to see it appealed in one way as without horgan we have no chance .
    However the more I think about it,the more the penney drops.
    If and its quite possible Frank Murphy gets horgan off and free to play suddenly frank is our hero again and people will say in times like this he is unreplacable and he is a huge asset to cork.

When the fact is it just covers up the mess he created in Cork hurling and id nearly settle as hard as it to say dont appeal horgans decision even though he was blatantly wronged,instead for Frank actually appointed the right manager at minor level and also at u21 level to replace our so called mastermind in Ger Fitzgerald who in that competiton has the worst record out of all the managers in hes 4 years in charge.
    That wont happen but at least I can dream of it.It is all we got at the moment.

• Advertisement

Bob ryan the CCB chairman more or less said they would appeal it.

I would like to see it appealed in one way as without horgan we have no chance .
    However the more I think about it,the more the penney drops.
    If and its quite possible Frank Murphy gets horgan off and free to play suddenly frank is our hero again and people will say in times like this he is unreplacable and he is a huge asset to cork.

When the fact is it just covers up the mess he created in Cork hurling and id nearly settle as hard as it to say dont appeal horgans decision even though he was blatantly wronged,instead for Frank actually appointed the right manager at minor level and also at u21 level to replace our so called mastermind in Ger Fitzgerald who in that competiton has the worst record out of all the managers in hes 4 years in charge.
    That wont happen but at least I can dream of it.It is all we got at the moment.

I don't think he was wronged, it was just unlucky that the sliothar hit the helmet at the same time.

I give cork every chance of beatin KK. But, they can't be half as wasteful v KK. Some of their shooting was woeful

I don't think he was wronged, it was just unlucky that the sliothar hit the helmet at the same time.

I give cork every chance of beatin KK. But, they can't be half as wasteful v KK. Some of their shooting was woeful
    A lot depends on horgan and tommorrows nights game in that we dont get any more injuries from it.

A lot depends on horgan and tommorrows nights game in that we dont get any more injuries from it.

I hope Horgan gets the go ahead to play in the q/f, the 1 thing I noticed about the final, it was a very clean game. No dirty play at all.

By Michael Moynihan
    Horgan was red-carded for a stroke to the head of Limerick’s Paudie O’Brien late in the first half on Sunday, and the Shannonsiders ran out comfortable winners, 0-24 to 0-15 in the second half to collect a first Munster title since 1996.
    However, Horgan’s sending off was the major talking point of the game, with many feeling the proceedings tilted decisively in Limerick’s favour when facing 14 men in the second half in very hot conditions.

Kingston also revealed that O’Brien contacted Horgan yesterday to sympathise, adding that he had gone down from the impact of the sliotar hitting him in the face, not from Horgan’s stroke.

“It’s important for us to congratulate Limerick,” said Kingston. “They were deserved winners, they played very well and it’s great for hurling, and for Limerick, that they won a provincial title.

“You could see what it meant to the Limerick supporters to win, and congratulations to them — and to John Allen, who prepared them very well for the game.

“We’d also acknowledge that we should have done better on the scoreboard ourselves in the first half. We had a lot of opportunities which we didn’t take, we’ve plenty of work to do ourselves which has nothing to do with other events in the game.

“We’re not hiding from our own responsibilities as a management team in that regard.

“But I thought the decision to send Patrick off was absolutely extraordinary.”

Kingston added: “I don’t think any of the players, supporters or people watching on television thought it was a red card.

“One Limerick player pushed Patrick away after the incident, but if players see a bad stroke they’re not slow to come in and retaliate as a rule.

“Paudie O’Brien himself told Patrick on the phone he went down with a blow to the face from the sliotar, not from the impact of the hurley, and fair dues to Paudie for doing so.

“We’re not in the business of criticising referees. It’s a very tough job, and you’ve to be strong to be man enough to handle a game in front of over 40,000 people, there’s a lot of pressure that goes with that.

“In that regard I’d just like to think that James [McGrath, the match referee] would be man enough to admit that he didn’t have one of his best days at the office on Sunday, that’s all.”

Kingston said Cork will seek to have Horgan cleared to play in the All-Ireland quarter-final the weekend after next against Kilkenny.

“The referee’s report goes in and we can appeal, and we will certainly be doing that.

“It’s very unfortunate that it’s now on Patrick’s record that he was sent off in a Munster final. I know people always say it about players, but he’s certainly not the kind of individual who collects red cards.

“Last Sunday it was clear: he was going for the ball to knock it down to himself, not trying to strike Paudie down on the head.

“When he was sent off he came over to the sideline and said to myself and Jimmy Barry-Murphy, ‘can you tell me what that was for?’ He was hugely upset by it, obviously enough.”

Referee McGrath was at the centre of another red card controversy earlier this year when he sent off Limerick’s Declan Hannon in the Fitzgibbon Cup semi-final; Hannon was cleared on appeal to play in the decider of the universities’ championship the following day.

Meanwhile, Croke Park chiefs have confirmed that Cork’s All-Ireland SHC quarter-final against Kilkenny will be played at Semple Stadium on Sunday, July 28, throwing it at 2pm.

The game will be followed at 4pm by the clash of Clare and Galway

I was harsh on paudie o brien yesterday.i take it back and fair play to him for phoning horgan.
    Respect.

I was harsh on paudie o brien yesterday.i take it back and fair play to him for phoning horgan.
    Respect.

Well said. I couldn't see why anyone could blame Paudie for the sending off. he just got a right slap of the ball and for all he knew it could have been his own player that tapped the back of his helmet at the same time. He didn't make a meal out of it but he was dazed from the slap(of the ball) going off at half time.
    Hardly a single Limerick person that would want to see P.H. miss the next game but I just think the powers that be will stand by the ref. He was 'technically' correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good interview with Seamus Hickey & Niall Moran on Off The Ball Monday night. 1/2 hour in.

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/10/2613/15th_July_2013_-_Off_The_Ball_Part_1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

€25 for a Terrace ticket for the semi final

€25 for a Terrace ticket for the semi final

In fairness that's good value, no one can argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Just bought 10 lower cusack tickets for 2 families. Great being in the semi-final before the opposition have played the previous round!

• Advertisement

I hear Barry Nash from the minor team is a first cousin of Anthony Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Just back from the hols and watched it back on the RTE player

Just fantastic scenes afterwards, gutted to have missed that even more than the match itself.

How was it for ye lads?

Who went inside when allis came in for mulcahy?

Who was that in the stand with the child at the end?

DOG back to half back and king to midfield, hmmm?

Where's the minor replay on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Where's the minor replay on?

Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Just back from the hols and watched it back on the RTE player

Just fantastic scenes afterwards, gutted to have missed that even more than the match itself.

How was it for ye lads?

Who went inside when allis came in for mulcahy?

Who was that in the stand with the child at the end?

DOG back to half back and king to midfield, hmmm?

It's already gone from the RTE player, I was away for the last week and didn't get to see it. So if anyone knows a way for me to watch it again (preferably with all the build-up and aftermath, but just the match if nothing else), it'd be very much appreciated. I mean it wasn't up on Sunday... and it was gone this morning, that's less than a week. And the Tipp match has gone from youtube too :(

It really was great, the atmosphere was unbelievable...scenes at full-time and after were up there with the best I've ever seen. I noticed today that anytime any analyst mentions celebrations, they mention Limerick, we certainly seem to have made an impression. Wonder what sort of crowd we'll bring up to Croker.

Can't really remember the sequence of events that well, but I think Dowling and Hannon were a 2-man full-forward line for a short while before Downes came in. I could be wrong though. I was just a little surprised that Hannon was kept in there the whole time when he really wasn't having a great day inside.

As for yer man with the child... he looks very familiar, but I don't know who he is. He's the same fella who hugged John Allen literally on full-time in the Tipp match, if he's a fan I don't know how he got on the pitch so quick. He does look familiar though, he might be some really famous Limerick person.

And as for DOG/King, part of it might have been DOG had done a lot of running, and King would be fresher for midfield. Or maybe they wanted DOG to tighten up on Naughton down that side... I dunno

Cheers

Seeing as how criticism of the last day is banned, id only propose one change at midfield for the next day. However there's absolutely no way allen will change the team.

Would the rest of ye still prefer to see one of the impact subs starting?

I don't see the cork forwards scoring enough off tyreell et al, think Kilkenny will get through by 3 points or that way.

Hopefully if we do meet them we can reverse last years result, twas a good contest for 50 mins, and certainly we've improved.

Cheers

Seeing as how criticism of the last day is banned, id only propose one change at midfield for the next day. However there's absolutely no way allen will change the team.

Would the rest of ye still prefer to see one of the impact subs starting?

I don't see the cork forwards scoring enough off tyreell et al, think Kilkenny will get through by 3 points or that way.

Hopefully if we do meet them we can reverse last years result, twas a good contest for 50 mins, and certainly we've improved.

I watched the final on rte player last week, Hannon played better than I thought when I was at the game. Our half forward line was cleaned out. We need Dowling to start, if Cork forwards were good, this game would have been gone from us at half time.

A repeat performance won't be good enough to win a semi-final, regardless of the opposition.

The thing about half forward is it appears to be functioning as allen wants so he wont change it.

Jimbob is playing well, working hard and getting scores he's a cert to start and im happy for him to stay there.

Breen when high ball which we need at least one forward has to do, as such he's doing his job and will start (he wont meet another p maher)

Hickey coming back to half back and picking up ball and running with it is obviously in allens game plan and he will start him, this could be disastrous if tommy walsh is left free as a sweeper against Kilkenny.

Id drop browne, bring hickey to midfield and start any of the 4 forward subs.

Hopefully the win didn't paper over too many cracks.

That said there's feck all between the teams left in the championship, its going to be 1-3 point win/loss margins all the way (how's yer hearts) hopefully we continue to improve and can go all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I watched the final on rte player last week, Hannon played better than I thought when I was at the game. Our half forward line was cleaned out. We need Dowling to start, if Cork forwards were good, this game would have been gone from us at half time.
    This is a tricky one, bringing Dowling, Downes and Moran off the bench against an opposition defence with 40/50 odd minutes of hurling behind them has been the catalyst to the team finishing so strongly. I'd prefer Dowling to Breen but the strong bench has been a major plus.
    A repeat performance won't be good enough to win a semi-final, regardless of the opposition.
    Agreed, I'm wary of Kilkenny and Galway, Galway have known all year that they would make the Leinster final (on account of a really soft draw) so their year is only really starting now, and Kilkenny are Kilkenny, we've yet to see the best of either of them and they'll hit their peak fairly soon

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    This is a tricky one, bringing Dowling, Downes and Moran off the bench against an opposition defence with 40/50 odd minutes of hurling behind them has been the catalyst to the team finishing so strongly. I'd prefer Dowling to Breen but the strong bench has been a major plus.

Agreed, I'm wary of Kilkenny and Galway, Galway have known all year that they would make the Leinster final (on account of a really soft draw) so their year is only really starting now, and Kilkenny are Kilkenny, we've yet to see the best of either of them and they'll hit their peak fairly soon

Absolutely, I agree 100%.

But what if Cork took their chances and the game was out of sight? Then impact subs can't do much imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement