Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yeah, we haven't conceded a goal yet but have coughed up a few chances, I still think our FB line is being overworked, id prefer for us to be giving the opposition something to think about rather than being firefighting ourselves.

We really got no good ball into the FF line last week, distribution has to improve, and hickey getting on the ball and running 40 yards wont help that plus it leaves an extra attacker back for the opposition. I still think we can get more from the team in terms of scores and should make a change or two before its too late. Especially in croker where getting goals and conceding them are easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yeah, we haven't conceded a goal yet but have coughed up a few chances, I still think our FB line is being overworked, id prefer for us to be giving the opposition something to think about rather than being firefighting ourselves.

We really got no good ball into the FF line last week, distribution has to improve, and hickey getting on the ball and running 40 yards wont help that plus it leaves an extra attacker back for the opposition. I still think we can get more from the team in terms of scores and should make a change or two before its too late. Especially in croker where getting goals and conceding them are easier.

Bubble's o Dwyer scored a goal against Limerick.

Same game Seamie Callinan missed at least two clear cut chances if not three, and against Cork Limerick could have conceeded three before half time.

Bubble's o Dwyer scored a goal against Limerick.

Same game Seamie Callinan missed at least two clear cut chances if not three, and against Cork Limerick could have conceeded three before half time.

Yeah, cheers for the correction, that's the point im making, we've coughed up a lot of chances, and if someone converts those chances to goals its over for us. think we need to work the opposition more at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Yeah, cheers for the correction, that's the point im making, we've coughed up a lot of chances, and if someone converts those chances to goals its over for us. think we need to work the opposition more at the other end.

I agree, I think we have won both our games without our full forward line really firing. They have picked up a few nice points but I cant really remember a clear goal chance besides the Sean Tobin goal in the Tipp game. Hannon had a half chance in the Tipp game.

Tobin/Mulcahy are going to have to bust a goal or two at some stage if we are to get any further.

slegs wrote: »
    I agree, I think we have won both our games without our full forward line really firing. They have picked up a few nice points but I cant really remember a clear goal chance besides the Sean Tobin goal in the Tipp game. Hannon had a half chance in the Tipp game.

Tobin/Mulcahy are going to have to bust a goal or two at some stage if we are to get any further.

Mulcahy has been very dissapointing for me so far, he looked so dangerous and lively last year but seems to be suffering with he's confidence or something, Hannon is quality but I wonder about he's application at times, he seems to drift out of games for long periods, Tobin is pretty average IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

But if your playing a half forward line with the ambition of them working hard and making it difficult for other teams, would you not consider it only natural that your full forward line will suffer? It's hardly a coincidence that all three of them aren't shooting the lights out so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Mulcahy and Tobin won't contest as much in the air like Conor Aillis would (demonstrated by the Munster final). Mulcahy and Tobin are both below 5"11 while Hannon, Aillis, Dowling and other forwards outsize them and can fight in the air. Mulcahy and Tobin need precise passes in and mixed up with diagonal ball into space where they can work with it getting goals or points. The only problem is using Limerick's play from the back is mainly: look up, clear long into the forwards. Small guys won't be prolific on that. They'll work off passes, broken ball and dirty ball IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Mulcahy and Tobin won't contest as much in the air like Conor Aillis would (demonstrated by the Munster final). Mulcahy and Tobin are both below 5"11 while Hannon, Aillis, Dowling and other forwards outsize them and can fight in the air. Mulcahy and Tobin need precise passes in and mixed up with diagonal ball into space where they can work with it getting goals or points. The only problem is using Limerick's play from the back is mainly: look up, clear long into the forwards. Small guys won't be prolific on that. They'll work off passes, broken ball and dirty ball IMO.

Succinctly put :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Just wanted to say full credit to Paudie O’Brien for helping Pat Horgan get his red card rescinded. He wrote a letter to the Central Hearings Committee pointing out that he had gone down from the impact of the sliotar which struck him on his helmet’s face-mask, not from Horgan’s blow and he also offered to travel to the committee to speak in Horgan’s defence.http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/obrien-instrumental-in-horgan-getting-all-clear-237701.html
    He didn't need to do that at all so fair play to him. I know some people mightn't agree with him doing it (possibly some of those people are from Limerick ha-ha) as Cork hurler's are not the most popular group of people in GAA circles but it was appreciated by Cork GAA fans. Fair dues Paudie:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

lukin wrote: »
    Just wanted to say full credit to Paudie O’Brien for helping Pat Horgan get his red card rescinded. He wrote a letter to the Central Hearings Committee pointing out that he had gone down from the impact of the sliotar which struck him on his helmet’s face-mask, not from Horgan’s blow and he also offered to travel to the committee to speak in Horgan’s defence.http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/obrien-instrumental-in-horgan-getting-all-clear-237701.html
    He didn't need to do that at all so fair play to him. I know some people mightn't agree with him doing it (possibly some of those people are from Limerick ha-ha) as Cork hurler's are not the most popular group of people in GAA circles but it was appreciated by Cork GAA fans. Fair dues Paudie:)

Nonsense, most people from Limerick myself included wanted that red card rescinded. In fact, I didn't want him to be even sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Rightwing wrote: »
    Nonsense, most people from Limerick myself included wanted that red card rescinded. In fact, I didn't want him to be even sent off.

I know, just messing. Although even as a Corkman it doesn't sit easily with me that red cards can be wiped after the event so easily. It's happening too often for my liking. Didn't Dublin even go to court to get a guy cleared once?

I know, just messing. Although even as a Corkman it doesn't sit easily with me that red cards can be wiped after the event so easily. It's happening too often for my liking. Didn't Dublin even go to court to get a guy cleared once?

I think this one was an exception. The sliothar did the damage so I don't really blame the ref either. We're all hoping Cork beat KK, have to be far more clinical in front of goal though to have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

In this case,it had to be wiped it was such a bad decision.

I am glad O' Brien came out in support for 2 reasons

1.it greatly helped Horgan being freed to play
    2.it did not make Frank Murphy look like a hero,in Cork,our Corks saving grace.

The week that it was,with the shambles of the U21 hurling,and minor football manager appointment,only for O Brien,people would think our County Board are heroes.

Immense credit and thanks to him for that.

Which is more of a concern though,is Mcgrath is still on the panel,and will get more big games.

The fact he has made many bad calls this year,one against Declan Hannon ,earlier in the year,clearly shows he is getting worse.

He seems a bit arrogant,too thanking fans for their criticism,it will make him a better referee.It seemed he was rubbing Corks nose's in it.

In this case,it had to be wiped it was such a bad decision.

I am glad O' Brien came out in support for 2 reasons

1.it greatly helped Horgan being freed to play
    2.it did not make Frank Murphy look like a hero,in Cork,our Corks saving grace.

The week that it was,with the shambles of the U21 hurling,and minor football manager appointment,only for O Brien,people would think our County Board are heroes.

Immense credit and thanks to him for that.

Which is more of a concern though,is Mcgrath is still on the panel,and will get more big games.

The fact he has made many bad calls this year,one against Declan Hannon ,earlier in the year,clearly shows he is getting worse.

He seems a bit arrogant,too thanking fans for their criticism,it will make him a better referee.It seemed he was rubbing Corks nose's in it.

he was 30 yards away, saw contact and saw a fella collapse in a heap. He made a decision based on what he saw, live it probably looked like a strike and he done the right thing at the time.

Reffing's not easy. No one is 100% right all the time.

he was 30 yards away, saw contact and saw a fella collapse in a heap. He made a decision based on what he saw, live it probably looked like a strike and he done the right thing at the time.

Absolutely and by the strict letter of the law he was completly correct to send him off, I'm amazed it has been overturned tbh, we all agree it was extremely harsh but at the end of the day he stroke an opponent on the head with the hurl, intent was never a prerequsite for a red card.

Totally agree..everyone makes mistakes,but when it keeps happening,the penny has got to drop eventually.
    Every top referee makes bad calls.Take Nigel Owens in the rubgy,Munster against Clermount,he made a mistake.

But he rarely makes mistakes.

James Mcgrath wrongly sent off Declan Hannon,such that he was vindicated afterwards and correctly so.At least Mary I,made the final,and he had the chance to play.

He was awful in the Waterford Offaly game.

He was truly a disgrace in a Cork Galway U210 game in 2007.When is enough,enough,at the end of the day.

These are not one of blunders,but becoming a trend.

It is all well good to say anyone can make mistakes,but what if Limerick are playing,in the semi final,he is the referee,and he makes woeful decisions against limerick.

I sincerely hope that does,not happen,as no team deserves be on the wrong end of what is now becoming quite common with him,bad 'errors of judgements'

Absolutely and by the strict letter of the law he was completly correct to send him off, I'm amazed it has been overturned tbh, we all agree it was extremely harsh but at the end of the day he stroke an opponent on the head with the hurl, intent was never a prerequsite for a red card.

Cahill swung widely and with intent,on Mark Sugrue,last Wed night,and got a yellow,when he scored Corks goal.

I like many Cork fans were glad he was not sent off.Horgans was pale in comparison.
    Common sense has to apply,or hurling is finished.

As long as a ref isn't biased, I guess you just have to take the bad decisions. (Agree I might not be so understanding if it costs us bigtime)

If there were better refs out there surely they'd already be on the panel.

I totally agree hurling has to be reffed with common sense. Certainly its a game of fine lines and we don't need every bit of contact being punished with red cards.

Cahill swung widely and with intent,on Mark Sugrue,last Wed night,and got a yellow,when he scored Corks goal.

I like many Cork fans were glad he was not sent off.Horgans was pale in comparison.
    Common sense has to apply,or hurling is finished.

I agree completely with you and I also agree that Cahill was very fortunate not to see red and what he did was actually very cowardly as well as dangerous.

Common sense is required but unfortunately with assesors in the stands and panels delivering instructions to referees it is been slowly removed from the game.

I agree completely with you and I also agree that Cahill was very fortunate not to see red and what he did was actually very cowardly as well as dangerous.

Common sense is required but unfortunately with assesors in the stands and panels delivering instructions to referees it is been slowly removed from the game.

The media have a fair role in this too, pandering to whingers who take refereeing decisions as some sort of personal slight. In most cases the refs decision should be accepted as part and parcel of the game.

Physicality is part of the game accept it and ref it as such, when a fella goes OTT and intentionally strikes an opponent then he only has himself to blame. The game will always have grey arrears and is better for it, if you showed an incident to 10 fellas in the pub you'd likely get a split of some fellas saying free in, some say yellow and some say red. That's with a replay so achieving consistency from referees who make on the spot decisions is impossible. At the end of the day if a fella goes out and is focussed on hurling he really should have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

We should be about 5 points ahead at time tonight, limerick have done most of the hurling. Moving Ronan Lynch to CB seems to have worked, Colm Roche and DJ Foran are not making the same impact they were 9 days ago. Our FB line needs to be tighter though. Stephen Cahill not having the best time of it.

3-04 : 1-09 at the moment. We're a point down.

Barry Nash is having an unreal game, he must have 5 points at this stage. 3-8 to 1-14

grenache wrote: »
    Barry Nash is having an unreal game, he must have 5 points at this stage. 3-8 to 1-14

We're getting the points, a goal now will win it.

3-08 : 1-17

Are we on for the double ?!

Limerick by 2. Dangerous lead in this see- saw game. And 95fm's coverage has just gone!! Typical!

A power cut at in the stadium! This game has everything!

waterford goal :mad:

4-08 1-20

Getiing points from everywhere.

grenache wrote: »
    I hope ye win it,nothing against waterford but for the Cork connection.

Sounds,like no team deserves to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Limerick have beaten Waterford 1-20 to 4-8

Well done Limerick Minors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Gwan Limerick! Woohoo....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement