Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Let's get the history books out, is this our first ever Munster double ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Gwan Limerick! Woohoo....

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Incredible game. Every time Wford got a goal, we came back and got two points!

The double is done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Rightwing wrote: »
    Let's get the history books out, is this our first ever Munster double ?

First minor and senior since 1940 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Juplier

Great resilience shown by that team in the way the kept coming back from conceding the goals. It shows that not only are they fine hurlers but they are a group of lads with massive character. Fair play to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A happy drive home from Thurles.:) Excellent win over a fantastic Waterford team. didn't think we would do it. The management got it spot on, playing Ronan Lynch at No.6 proved a masterstroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Saw these two teams before the senior match and they are terrific young hurlers. Glad they served up another classic match between them. Disappointed for W'Ford who really should have taken it the first day however.

washman3 wrote: »
    A happy drive home from Thurles.:) Excellent win over a fantastic Waterford team. didn't think we would do it. The management got it spot on, playing Ronan Lynch at No.6 proved a masterstroke.

Absolutely. Think Ryan & Cregan figured that Waterford ran through our centre a bit too easy last day out. Lynch definitely shored us up tonight. Roche and Foran didn't have the same time or space and Austin Gleeson made no real rampaging runs through the middle.

Our forwards had a great spread of scores tonight and midfield was solid throughout.

Who would you give MOM to? On radio Morissey, Nash, Ronan Lynch and Pat Ryan got great praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

grenache wrote: »
    Absolutely. Think Ryan & Cregan figured that Waterford ran through our centre a bit too easy last day out. Lynch definitely shored us up tonight. Roche and Foran didn't have the same time or space and Austin Gleeson made no real rampaging runs through the middle.

Our forwards had a great spread of scores tonight and midfield was solid throughout.

Who would you give MOM to? On radio Morissey, Nash, Ronan Lynch and Pat Ryan got great praise.

I would pick Nash. while the placing of Ronan Lynch at CB proved decisive, it robbed us, or so we thought of our key forward, which in turn meant that others had to step up greatly. Nash did this perfectly hitting some awesome scores in the process.

P.S. the contribution of Joe Quaid should be remembered tonight. He won the A.I. under-16 last year with many of this team. Rightly or wrongly he was overlooked for the minor job this year but few can deny that his contribution was instrumental to this win.

washman3 wrote: »

P.S. the contribution of Joe Quaid should be remembered tonight. He won the A.I. under-16 last year with many of this team. Rightly or wrongly he was overlooked for the minor job this year but few can deny that his contribution was instrumental to this win.

+1

Amen to that brother! Not forgetting being runners-up in the u-17 tournament last year. This is his team, he deserves high praise indeed. But also credit Cregan, Ryan and the other lads who got the tactics and positional switches spot on tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

+1

Amen to that brother! Not forgetting being runners-up in the u-17 tournament last year. This is his team, he deserves high praise indeed. But also credit Cregan, Ryan and the other lads who got the tactics and positional switches spot on tonight.

Had Jerry Wallis much to do this with group.I know ,he is in charge of development squads etc,but was he their tonight etc.?

Ye deserve immense credit for yere win.

All yere success at schools is helping also.
    Doon must be delighted to have a large number involved.I remember being at yere last final in 2005,as we were in the senior final.

I hope ye win it now.

Had Jerry Wallis much to do this with group.I know ,he is in charge of development squads etc,but was he their tonight etc.?

Ye deserve immense credit for yere win.

All yere success at schools is helping also.
    Doon must be delighted to have a large number involved.I remember being at yere last final in 2005,as we were in the senior final.

I hope ye win it now.

I've heard Wallis' name mentioned a lot in hurling circles around limerick but I've no idea what he does. I'm sure one of the other regular posters on here can tell you.

I always see it as a great sign when there are lots of Doon players in a Limerick squad. They've always produced what I deem to be the most naturally skilful hurlers in the county. I think Cyril Farrell would describe them as "lovely wristy hurlers". All the good work being done for years in the CBS there is now bearing fruit. It was summed up when Limerick played Tipp in the semi a month back - both team captains were current Doon CBS students.

Galway a little too strong for us in 05, I seem to remember Ger Farragher nearly beating us on his own. This Waterford team tonight were joint favourites for the AI. Yet we out-hurled them for long periods. We'll respect everyone but should fear nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Great win for the minors tonight, racking up 1-20 is great... I'm in Mayo so didn't get to watch or listen to the match and didn't know Ronan Lynch had been moved to centre-back but I didn't think he was actually our best forward against Waterford the last day or Tipp- Cian Lynch is hugely skilful, Barry Nash wins a huge amount of ball and scores too, while Dempsey is class too. Lynch is a great free-taker and skilful but I wouldn't say he's the best of the lot.

Great victory, doing the double is an unbelievable achievement...first time since 1940? There's been some great work put in recently, and it's paying dividends now. I suppose it's just a pity that football has been ignored completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

So if Galway win this weekend, we most likely have a Limerick v Galway minor/senior double header to look forward to in August

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

This Waterford team tonight were joint favourites for the AI. Yet we out-hurled them for long periods. We'll respect everyone but should fear nobody.

Which is bizarre considering they have now played 5 matches and won one!

Something very wrong with how the minor championship is run in Munster in both codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Which is bizarre considering they have now played 5 matches and won one!

Something very wrong with how the minor championship is run in Munster in both codes.

Two matches. The game in Cork might have been a draw to the bookies, but Waterford still won.

Limk slight favs to win the Minor all irl @ 2/1

I think KK, Wford & Galway are all on a par with us. There's no real favourite in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Only favorites because Kilkenny and Waterford have already been beaten and Galway are always an unknown. But nothing between the teams left.

Two matches. The game in Cork might have been a draw to the bookies, but Waterford still won.

But I was referring to it from a betting perspective, the reality is they have only won one game from 5 in 60 mins and yet are as good as in an AI semi, you can't agree that a system that allows that is fair?

For example if Limerick had have lost their first game against Tipp they would have been eliminated as it was a semi final, which is grossly unfair, if there is to be a back door it should be available to all, and a system that permits a team to avail of a back door twice in the one provincial championship is surely flawed??

This is in no way aimed at Waterford btw, and yes all teams knew exactly what the system was but I think it needs to be reformed, straight knockout would be my own preference as these guys are playing too many games as it is. We have seen numerous examples of half hearted efforts iin teh Munster Minor Football championship to get a more favourable passage and this will continue when the power in minor football is so unbalanced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

But I was referring to it from a betting perspective, the reality is they have only won one game from 5 in 60 mins and yet are as good as in an AI semi, you can't agree that a system that allows that is fair?

For example if Limerick had have lost their first game against Tipp they would have been eliminated as it was a semi final, which is grossly unfair, if there is to be a back door it should be available to all, and a system that permits a team to avail of a back door twice in the one provincial championship is surely flawed??

This is in no way aimed at Waterford btw, and yes all teams knew exactly what the system was but I think it needs to be reformed, straight knockout would be my own preference as these guys are playing too many games as it is. We have seen numerous examples of half hearted efforts iin teh Munster Minor Football championship to get a more favourable passage and this will continue when the power in minor football is so unbalanced.

Yeah I guess as a whole it's not great. But at the same time, when Waterford lost to Tipp they had to beat both Clare and Cork to get to a Munster final. Sure, Limerick only got one chance and that probably is unfair but I don't think that it's comparable to the football. If we're talking about bookies odds, Limerick would have been outsiders for Munster and while that was largely based on ignorance of the grade really I wouldn't entertain an argument that Waterford had a soft route to the final.

What would you change with only 5 teams in it though?

Fairplay to Limerick by the way on last night, hopefully we'll meet ye again in the final. Seemed every shot ye took in the second half went over as my heart sank lower towards my shoes! And La Touche-Cosgrave was very prominent at the end I thought, but on top around the half back line, a great performance by the number 9 and some excellent score taking and support play up front being what won it. Also the Limerick goal was a great finish, a ground pull from a lobbed in free that hit the top corner if my eyes didn't deceive me (was at the far end).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

God ye Limerick feckers are getting fierce greedy. Ye win Munster in minor and senior and now ye want the All-Ireland as well. Ye'll be wanting to win the World Cup next.:D

I wouldn't entertain an argument that Waterford had a soft route to the final.

What would you change with only 5 teams in it though?

And I wouldn't attempt to make such an arguement, but teams have 'availed of' a far softer route in the minor football by loosing the opening round.

Personaly I would have no qualms with returning to a straight knockout as players of 17/18 are playing too many games as it is - there is a young lad from my own club who is a dual star and involved with 16 seperate teams this year, which is absolutely ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

I presume that you are referring to Kerry in 2012 and 2013. They lost their 1st Round matches in both years. However in 2012, they lost to Tipperary in Round 1 and were beaten again by Tipp in the Munster Final. Tipp were clearly a better team than Kerry last year and proved it by beating them twice. This year Kerry drew with Cork after extra time, when Cork scored a last minute penalty and Cork won the replay. If Kerry set out to deliberately lose to Cork this year, they did not make a very good job of it as they were 3 points ahead in the last minute of extra time. Also are Kerry really so afraid of playing Tipperary that they would lose to their deadly rivals, Cork to avoid playing Tipp. I don't think so, although it would be nice if they really fear us that much and long may it continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Blast, Downes has broken his toe

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=197418[/QUOTE]

Would be a big loss, made a big impact in the 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Feck, round of club matches to come as well, i'll offer up a few prayers for Richie mac's well being. Stay fit lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Feck, round of club matches to come as well, i'll offer up a few prayers for Richie mac's well being. Stay fit lads.

Games will do them good, plus with the format changes next year this should be a very competitive round of games, there's a lot on the line for clubs at senior and intermediate level. I wish they had brought the club games forward to this weekend however, to give an extra week for any potential knocks to be healed.

Downes has time on his side with this injury at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Seánie Tobin is hurt too. He broke a metatarsal and damaged some tendons. He's in a brace/boot.

• Advertisement

Seánie Tobin is hurt too. He broke a metatarsal and damaged some tendons. He's in a brace/boot.

I don't really rate him. Not sure though if I'm being harsh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement