Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

grenache wrote: »
    I think Tobin has been our most dangerous forward over the course of our two games in Munster. He definitely showed up Mulcahy in the semi and was almost as prominent in the final.

Just out of interest, scores don't show everything, but our top scorers from play this season in the Championship:

Seánie Tobin 1-3
    Shane Dowling 0-4
    James Ryan 0-4
    Declan Hannon 0-4
    Donal O'Grady 0-3
    Kevin Downes 0-2
    Graeme Mulcahy 0-2
    Niall Moran 0-2
    David Breen 0-1
    Seamus Hickey 0-1
    Paudie O'Brien 0-1
    Paul Browne 0-1

Which is a total of 1-28 from 2 games. Considering Hannon hasn't hit full stride, 0-4 isn't too bad at all. 0-4 from Dowling who has been on the pitch about 35 minutes in total is excellent aswell.

A nice spread of scorers, but Tobin's goal puts him out in front and I think he's been a vital player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Will Tobin recover in times- hopefully so - think he and mulcahy could be the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Will it be a sell out in croker for the semi final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

varberg wrote: »
    Will it be a sell out in croker for the semi final?

Doubt it very much. About 60,000 max I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Will Tobin recover in times- hopefully so - think he and mulcahy could be the difference

He's no chance

See most club games are on thurs + Fri - makes sense at least.

Will try and make the kilmallock and effin game if i can get out of work.

As much to see mulcahy play, im sure his form is down to lack of good ball, be interesting to see what he scores on thursday.

• Advertisement

He's no chance

Really?

:(

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Really?

:(

Thats dr paddy's totally clueless opinion masquerading as fact, but sure a metatarsal was 6 weeks. even still both him and downes will have the feet up which means zero training for 3-4 weeks. Even if they rush back will hardly be fit.

Be interested to hear how Tomas ryan and reidy go over weekend if anyone makes those matches, one of em will have to be a bench option.

Heard Jimbob wont be playing for garry because of hamstring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

niallo27 wrote: »
    I hear a few people talking about limerick injuries but Clare have a tought munster final at U-21 10 days before the semi final. We could have injury worries after that one, its all tipp have left to play for so it will be a battle.

Here's the Clare team that started the Waterford U21 match: R. Taaffe; P. Flanagan (c), D. McInerney, J. Browne; S. Morey, A. O’Neill, S. O’Halloran; C. Galvin, T. Kelly; P. Duggan, P. Collins, A. Cunningham; C. O’Connell, D. Keane, S. O’Donnell.

McInerney, Galvin, Kelly, Collins are the only certified starters (judging on the senior team vs. Cork) from U21 team. Morey, C O' Connell will come off the bench and maybe Cunningham. That's not that big of a drain.
    The other eleven starters on the senior team will be fresh cos they're over the grade.

It'll be a tough battle for the Clare outfit because Tipperary have a fine team and secondly, they've an eleven day turnaround but the deficit isn't that bad when you've only a handful hurling at U21 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Lads, just wondering if anyone will be in the Hogan stand lower tier? I dont want to be surrounded by Clare fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

TPMP wrote: »
    Lads, just wondering if anyone will be in the Hogan stand lower tier? I dont want to be surrounded by Clare fans!

I have no idea but judging by the tickets on tickets.ie, looks like there will be a big crowd at it.

• Advertisement

kil 3-11 effin 0-8

Comfortable win, goals at right time made it easy for kilmallock

GOM played CF was prob best player on pitch

POB was poor enough heard he was carrying ana ankle injury

Graeme was ok, scored 1-1 but was well marshalled by young rae who playerd well.

Nicky was ok at CB for effin

All came through without injury

Pjilip O'Loughlin will play county at some stage im sure, Robbie egan was pretty good too

Thought pierce Kelly played well for effin should have been moved to CF I thought, rather than being taken off.

Fair play to county board for issuing a program for all this weekends in it, only 2 euro - great idea. Hopefully all teams are decent enough to supporters to play as named, this all change thing is a pox.

I see Jimbob is named for garryspillane, so hopefully he's fine.

See hospital hern could only name 4 subs in their panel, hard to see against a 12 team senior league when things are like that.

Oh and a couple of nice touches from shaugs tonight when he came on, fella's a class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

For the football supporters:

Tom McGlinchey, Ned English and Barry Donnelly have all been nominated for the vacant Limerick senior football manager's position.

The three nominees to succeed Maurice Horan, who stepped down last month after three years in charge, have been revealed by the sub-committee put in place by the Limerick County Board to find a new manager.

McGlinchey has emerged as the early favourite having managed the Limerick minors for two years recently and he also took charge of the county's Under-21s and juniors this season.

The Cork man, who was previously nominated for the Limerick senior role, also boasts some senior inter-county experience on his CV.

He managed the Tipperary footballers to a Munster final appearance in 2002 and was also coach of the Ballylanders side that won the Limerick SFC title in 2007.

2002 was a stand-out year too in Ned English's managerial career as he guided Drom-Broadford to a Limerick and Munster Championship double. More recently, he was in charge of the Limerick junior team in 2011.

The third man in the running is Clare-based Barry Donnelly. Hailing from Tyrone, he has good knowledge of the Limerick club scene courtesy of a coaching stint with Hospital-Herbertstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Rightwing wrote: »

Tom McGlinchey, Ned English and Barry Donnelly have all been nominated for the vacant Limerick senior football manager's position.

The three nominees to succeed Maurice Horan, who stepped down last month after three years in charge, have been revealed by the sub-committee put in place by the Limerick County Board to find a new manager.

McGlinchey has emerged as the early favourite having managed the Limerick minors for two years recently and he also took charge of the county's Under-21s and juniors this season.

The Cork man, who was previously nominated for the Limerick senior role, also boasts some senior inter-county experience on his CV.

He managed the Tipperary footballers to a Munster final appearance in 2002 and was also coach of the Ballylanders side that won the Limerick SFC title in 2007.

2002 was a stand-out year too in Ned English's managerial career as he guided Drom-Broadford to a Limerick and Munster Championship double. More recently, he was in charge of the Limerick junior team in 2011.

The third man in the running is Clare-based Barry Donnelly. Hailing from Tyrone, he has good knowledge of the Limerick club scene courtesy of a coaching stint with Hospital-Herbertstown.

I would only know about English,and and Mcglinchey.Mcglinghey should have a Munster Title,cork by right should not have beaten Tippereary, and by the laws of the game,Tippereary should have won.

He done well when he was at Clyda Rovers.He plays a more open style game,compared to English.It depends what style,Limerick want .

English is really defensive,and Duhallow played a blanket under him,and a lot of hand passing.

He got a limited Duhallow to within a point of a county title,last year against Castleheaven,but also got them to two semifinals,in the mid 2000's.

From what i saw in may,Limerick don't have the team,to play open football,maybe English be a good fit.He was in line for the Clare job,but Micko got it.

He done well with a limited bunch of players,at Illen Rovers also in Cork.

It shows again and highlights the joke in the CCB.Ned English was not even considered for our minor job,yet Limerick have considered him.Our loss could be their gain.

Unfortunately their is history with Duhallow and The CCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Just out of interest, scores don't show everything, but our top scorers from play this season in the Championship:

Seánie Tobin 1-3
    Shane Dowling 0-4
    James Ryan 0-4
    Declan Hannon 0-4
    Donal O'Grady 0-3
    Kevin Downes 0-2
    Graeme Mulcahy 0-2
    Niall Moran 0-2
    David Breen 0-1
    Seamus Hickey 0-1
    Paudie O'Brien 0-1
    Paul Browne 0-1

Which is a total of 1-28 from 2 games. Considering Hannon hasn't hit full stride, 0-4 isn't too bad at all. 0-4 from Dowling who has been on the pitch about 35 minutes in total is excellent aswell.

A nice spread of scorers, but Tobin's goal puts him out in front and I think he's been a vital player for us.

It's a nice spread of scorers, but at this stage of the championship I think one player needs to be knocking in with a tally like Tobin, Hannon, Ryan etc in a single game. One single forward needs to take a game by the scruff of the neck and put in a MOTM performance (Hannon being the one in that list that I think could do it in a semi, he has the ability to rifle over 4-5 pts from play in Croke Park)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

More of a question...immense debate with friends over quality of penalties in hurling....before I go on I will add I am a die hard Kilkenny follower....nonetheless I maintain the best penalty I have seen was from Andrew O'Shaughnessy a number of years ago.

Cannot for the life of me remember who limerick played but I have it in my mind that it was 2007 on the road to the AI Final?

He struck it from his left and drilled the ball to the top left of the net at a ridiculous angle...have not seen anything like it since.

Can anyone remember???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fedman

Hide behind the post, The penalty you're talking about was the semi final versus Waterford and yes it was a great penalty from Shaughs. What a pity he had to give up the game as he would now be in his prime with this present Limerick team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Fedman wrote: »
    Hide behind the post, The penalty you're talking about was the semi final versus Waterford and yes it was a great penalty from Shaughs. What a pity he had to give up the game as he would now be in his prime with this present Limerick team.

See 8.22 here:

Quality isn't great but you're right, it was a cracking penalty. Real shame he isn't still hurling...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

2008 was the year Drom Broadford won Munster under Ned English. I remember both the semi & final against Nemo & Kilmurry. It's 100% possession football, low scoring and very frustrating to watch but very effective. There was so much hand passing, lateral movement and bodies behind the ball that you'd wonder were you watching football or rugby!

I do think though that English would be a perfect fit for Limerick though. We don't have the players to play an open style of attractive football. We need to return to the style we played under Liam Kearns, keep it tight at the back and keep possession as much as possible. Cork opened us up at will in the game at GG, it was comical. We had no answer to their pace and movement when they ran at us. Horan showed himself to be hugely naive against Cork and Kerry during his tenure. We need somebody who knows how to stop them playing. Or at least limit their ability to run through us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Benny Cake wrote: »
    See 8.22 here:

Quality isn't great but you're right, it was a cracking penalty. Real shame he isn't still hurling...

I loved the commentary to that penalty. He's been given the instructions.....he's followed the instructions. That was one of the great days. Big bad limerick ruining poor Waterford's year. I'll never forget the hotel the morning of that game and some Waterford fans were checking out but rebooking for 3 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Shaughs is still playing with Kilmallock. Think he came on as a sub in theire last game. Unbelievable player. Won a minor final on his own one year scoring 4-11 or something like that. One of the best forwards we've ever had.

Also, Damien Quigkey played full forward for Na Piarsiagh last night and was close to man of the match. 42 years of age and he cleaned out his marker, scored a few points, and set up a goal and a few more points. Class is permanent.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    2008 was the year Drom Broadford won Munster under Ned English. I remember both the semi & final against Nemo & Kilmurry. It's 100% possession football, low scoring and very frustrating to watch but very effective. There was so much hand passing, lateral movement and bodies behind the ball that you'd wonder were you watching football or rugby!

I do think though that English would be a perfect fit for Limerick though. We don't have the players to play an open style of attractive football. We need to return to the style we played under Liam Kearns, keep it tight at the back and keep possession as much as possible. Cork opened us up at will in the game at GG, it was comical. We had no answer to their pace and movement when they ran at us. Horan showed himself to be hugely naive against Cork and Kerry during his tenure. We need somebody who knows how to stop them playing. Or at least limit their ability to run through us.
    English would be,but the black card system and the rules to make football better won't help him,but i agree ye dont have the talent to play an open game.

Shaughs is still playing with Kilmallock. Think he came on as a sub in theire last game. Unbelievable player. Won a minor final on his own one year scoring 4-11 or something like that. One of the best forwards we've ever had.

Also, Damien Quigkey played full forward for Na Piarsiagh last night and was close to man of the match. 42 years of age and he cleaned out his marker, scored a few points, and set up a goal and a few more points. Class is permanent.
    A super player,how is he health wise these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

A super player,how is he health wise these days?

Can't be too bad if he's still playing senior for the club, don't know any more than that.

What are people here doing about tickets? My club got pretty crap tickets and the tickets online look pretty crap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

If you're only looking for a single ticket or maybe 2 together why not wait until you get to Croker on the day. There will be plenty of 'good tickets' flying around. I can guarantee you that. It holds 83,000 and its only a single semi-final after all, unlike before when both were played as a double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Browney7 wrote: »
    What are people here doing about tickets? My club got pretty crap tickets and the tickets online look pretty crap too.

Most of the lower tears and upper cusack are available online.

Along with the Hill.
    There's plenty online.

I would imagine not all the stadium will be open for this, at least according to tickets.ie the Davin will be closed.

Yeah shaugs is still playing senior came on as a sub last week and played well.

Think the best score I ever him get was an u-21 county final against Adare, kilmallock were 2 points up with a couple of minutes to go and under serious pressure from adare who were launching everything at them to get the winner. Kilmallock had about 12 fellas back with shaugs about 30 yards from the adare goal with one Adare defender in front of him and one behind, a long clearance and shaughs catches the ball over the head of the defender in front of him, in a turn and about 2 strides he beat the defender behind him, then when everyone in the place thought he'd carry the ball in he launched a shot from about 25 yards, timmy houlihan in goal never moved. The whole thing happened so fat it was stunning. The guy was a phenomenon at under age.

I couldn't speak highly enough of the fella.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Most of the lower tears and upper cusack are available online.

Along with the Hill.
    There's plenty online.

I would imagine not all the stadium will be open for this, at least according to tickets.ie the Davin will be closed.
    Checked earlier and was only getting corner of the hogan and Cusack. Will hang on a while. Wouldnt mind getting it from the club in case we get to the final.

Wouldn't be mad about any of those nominees, although we were never going to get a really high-profile candidate.

English has some pedigree, his style might suit us, although it might be a bit too negative. But none if it will matter if the work at underage isn't put in, we simply won't have the players.

Look at Cavan, have had great underage teams in recent years, reached an All-Ireland quarter final, knocking out some good teams on the way. Roscommon and Tipp have both done well at minor level this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Wouldn't be mad about any of those nominees, although we were never going to get a really high-profile candidate.

English has some pedigree, his style might suit us, although it might be a bit too negative. But none if it will matter if the work at underage isn't put in, we simply won't have the players.

Look at Cavan, have had great underage teams in recent years, reached an All-Ireland quarter final, knocking out some good teams on the way. Roscommon and Tipp have both done well at minor level this year.

The sub-committee can still approach people outside of these nominations, so it's not a definitive list. Whoever comes in will need to be a miracle worker. The players just aren't there at the moment, the panel is already carrying a few average enough footballers, let alone what it will be like once a few of the more senior players call it a day over the winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement