Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

http://www.hoganstand.com/Limerick/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198309

main injury concerns Tobin and Downes expected to take a full part in training next Sunday morning.

That's great news! A lot better than I was hoping, because I had heard that both were almost certainly going to miss out... this at least gives them a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Limerick/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198309

That's great news! A lot better than I was hoping, because I had heard that both were almost certainly going to miss out... this at least gives them a fighting chance.

Brilliant! Had heard Tobin would be fit but Downes wouldn't play any part. I'd expect us to name an unchanged team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Brilliant! Had heard Tobin would be fit but Downes wouldn't play any part. I'd expect us to name an unchanged team again.
    I heard the opposite. A chap told me today that Tobin had injured his metatarsal while out celebrating the Munster Final win! Is there any truth in this I wonder??

I heard (information was 2nd hand at best) that Downes was pretty much certainly out, Tobin was more likely to make it but still a major doubt. Of course, it's still possible they mightn't be fit enough.

I heard Tobin broke his metatarsal, but it says ligament damage in the article there?

If they did both happen to miss out...or not be fit to start, who would you pick as a replacement?

Tommy Quaid/Adrian Breen- a like-for-like replacement, but very inexperienced and uncertain about the quality.
    Conor Allis- Play a 2-man inside line and use Allis as an extra workhorse
    Shane Dowling- Either have Dowling on the edge of the square or out around the half-forward line.
    Niall Moran- Use him as a target man inside

We did play different tactics up front in the Tipp and Cork games. Against Tipp, we played the 2 corner men inside with Hannon out around midfield, while Hickey and Ryan seemed a bit more advanced at times.

While against Cork, Hannon was on the edge of the square for most of the game, while Ryan and Hickey were both playing very deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I heard (information was 2nd hand at best) that Downes was pretty much certainly out, Tobin was more likely to make it but still a major doubt. Of course, it's still possible they mightn't be fit enough.

I heard Tobin broke his metatarsal, but it says ligament damage in the article there?

If they did both happen to miss out...or not be fit to start, who would you pick as a replacement?

Tommy Quaid/Adrian Breen- a like-for-like replacement, but very inexperienced and uncertain about the quality.
    Conor Allis- Play a 2-man inside line and use Allis as an extra workhorse
    Shane Dowling- Either have Dowling on the edge of the square or out around the half-forward line.
    Niall Moran- Use him as a target man inside

We did play different tactics up front in the Tipp and Cork games. Against Tipp, we played the 2 corner men inside with Hannon out around midfield, while Hickey and Ryan seemed a bit more advanced at times.

While against Cork, Hannon was on the edge of the square for most of the game, while Ryan and Hickey were both playing very deep.
    For most of the first half against Cork, Hannon was operating more around the half line......although he went in full after the sending off, and this is where he needs to stay!

I'd definitely make use of Niall Moran, tbh if there is any doubt about Tobin's fitness (and I hate when coaches select players who aren't 100% fit), then Moran should be on the starting team. He destroyed Clare last year in Thurles. Popped them over from all angles. He still has it in spades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

grenache wrote: »
    For most of the first half against Cork, Hannon was operating more around the half line......although he went in full after the sending off, and this is where he needs to stay!

I'd definitely make use of Niall Moran, tbh if there is any doubt about Tobin's fitness (and I hate when coaches select players who aren't 100% fit), then Moran should be on the starting team. He destroyed Clare last year in Thurles. Popped them over from all angles. He still has it in spades.

Well, I'm going to disagree with you there. I much prefer Hannon on the wing/centre-forward. I don't think he's a natural full-forward, although I do see the argument for playing him there. Tbh, I'm hoping for a much-improved performance from Hannon, he's looked a little off the pace to date and he's just so talented, he could destroy teams if he's on his day. I know he's being marked tightly and everything, but he's not shown his full ability. Maybe it's the burden of the free-taking, maybe he's not fully fit or something... he looked our best player for most of the league, but he's not had a performance like Dublin in 2011 since then.

Moran did destroy Clare last year, his aerial ability was a huge asset, and when he's on a good day, he can be unbelievable (equally, he can be awful when he's on a bad day). I wouldn't mind him starting full-forward tbh, as Clare are possibly weak under the high ball.

Downes also has destroyed Clare in the past, I'd love to see him get a proper run if he's fit.

Class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

No way id be bringing in breen or quaid, either moran or hannon inside with an extra half forward.

Wouldnt mind dowling starting either esp for the frees, take em off Hannon and see if his game comes on, like ye've said he has the ability would really like to see him open up and take a game to the opposition. Pretty sure allen will pick an experienced player. Allis seems to be his first sub so think he might get the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Agree with Fireball, Hannon is a natural half forward, not a full forward. Was surprised in the Cork game when Dowling came on that he went to the wing and hannon stayed inside, though I suppose it didn't make much difference at that point. Both Tobin and Downes are to train the weekend so have a week to prove themselves and will probably both be in contention to start. I'd say we'll have an unchanged team again. The only change I would have made anyway would have been to start Downes for Tobin. If both the lads are I'd start Moran.

• Advertisement

Agree with Fireball, Hannon is a natural half forward, not a full forward. Was surprised in the Cork game when Dowling came on that he went to the wing and hannon stayed inside, though I suppose it didn't make much difference at that point. Both Tobin and Downes are to train the weekend so have a week to prove themselves and will probably both be in contention to start. I'd say we'll have an unchanged team again. The only change I would have made anyway would have been to start Downes for Tobin. If both the lads are I'd start Moran.

I'd love to see Downes start, be harsh to drop Tobin at the same time. I mean, I suppose Breen isn't going to be dropped at this stage, but that would be a change I might make.

Club got our tickets today.

Upper Cusack, the very highest level :( Seems like the clubs have been fcuked over a bit, because the ones for the last game weren't great either.

I really do have to question the wisdom of selling the best tickets for these matches online and in shops...surely the best ones should go to the clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

TPMP wrote: »
    Lads, just wondering if anyone will be in the Hogan stand lower tier? I dont want to be surrounded by Clare fans!

You won't be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Upper Cusack, the very highest level :( Seems like the clubs have been fcuked over a bit, because the ones for the last game weren't great either.

I really do have to question the wisdom of selling the best tickets for these matches online and in shops...surely the best ones should go to the clubs?

Check with friends in other clubs best tickets should be for the clubs!

I got 3 adult tickets Cusack 306 section which is as good as you get
    Had awful trouble getting juvenile tickets section 710 row W is where the brothers are sitting with their broods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Is it from an atmosphere point of view your concerned? I know a Dub whos regularly in Croke Park (obviously) and he swears by the upper tier. Says the view is unrivalled.

Ive only ever been high up in the Canal End, and have to say its far better than being down low (but its still the canal end and a bit of a dump at the end of the day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Is it from an atmosphere point of view your concerned? I know a Dub whos regularly in Croke Park (obviously) and he swears by the upper tier. Says the view is unrivalled.

Ive only ever been high up in the Canal End, and have to say its far better than being down low (but its still the canal end and a bit of a dump at the end of the day)

He must have great eyesight.

Last time we were in croke park i was in a corporate box,,certainly a good view, but I felt if we were up higher you'd only be looking at 2 different colour small jerseys moving around....

I've been up high in the Cusack before, Louth/Dublin in football about 2003, and it was seriously just miles away. And I can't imagine it's better for hurling.

I dunno, I suppose I'll wait till I see what it's like before I judge, but I don't have the greatest sight already and I just like being close to the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I've been up high in the Cusack before, Louth/Dublin in football about 2003, and it was seriously just miles away. And I can't imagine it's better for hurling.

I dunno, I suppose I'll wait till I see what it's like before I judge, but I don't have the greatest sight already and I just like being close to the pitch.

When I said far better about high up I meant purely the canal end. Like yourself I prefer being in the thick of things, but heard you've a great view. But you'd be so far away it would feel almost like your not there watching it Id say. Depends on the crowd around ya I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'd rather than be in the nosebleed section than the front 3 rows in the middle of the hogan. You see shag all when your eyes are below the level of the pitch....

Looks like Limerick will have massive support next week:

...figure is likely to hit 70,000 for next weekend's clash of neighbours between Limerick and Clare. It is understood that there are already 30,000 tickets sold in Limerick alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

How are we all feeling now? Hopefully this time next week we'll be basking In a win and preparing for an all Ireland final

Must say I'm a bit concerned about Clare but realistically if we don't beat them we've no business being there. I'm hopeful we'll win though because we've beaten Cork who have already beaten Clare but Cork have also beaten the dubs who beat Galway by more than Clare did! What's sure is that there will be some hype in Limerick this week. Hopefully we turn it into a sea of green next Sunday and get behind our two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Browney7 wrote: »
    How are we all feeling now? Hopefully this time next week we'll be basking In a win and preparing for an all Ireland final

Must say I'm a bit concerned about Clare but realistically if we don't beat them we've no business being there. I'm hopeful we'll win though because we've beaten Cork who have already beaten Clare but Cork have also beaten the dubs who beat Galway by more than Clare did! What's sure is that there will be some hype in Limerick this week. Hopefully we turn it into a sea of green next Sunday and get behind our two teams.

Personally, confident to an extent, but I'm interested to see how the alds will find the much wider pitch, i think if we can restrict Clare's movement from mdifled to half forward(what galway struggled to do massively) and also try and keep tabs on Honan, I'd think we should be okay..

Cork in the final could be a different story though, but hey that's for another day!..

Hope the county rallies like before the Munster(haven't seen an atmosphere like that in Limerick since maybe the first big Heineken Cup final).

According to tickets.ie only Upper Cusack and small bit the Hill are left, which seemingly means we're near to a full house..

not sure if Upper Hogan went on sale though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Personally, confident to an extent, but I'm interested to see how the alds will find the much wider pitch, i think if we can restrict Clare's movement from mdifled to half forward(what galway struggled to do massively) and also try and keep tabs on Honan, I'd think we should be okay..

Cork in the final could be a different story though, but hey that's for another day!..

Hope the county rallies like before the Munster(haven't seen an atmosphere like that in Limerick since maybe the first big Heineken Cup final).

According to tickets.ie only Upper Cusack and small bit the Hill are left, which seemingly means we're near to a full house..

not sure if Upper Hogan went on sale though..

Yeah upper hogan not on sale yet. They'll open it as a last resort I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Browney7 wrote: »
    Yeah upper hogan not on sale yet. They'll open it as a last resort I'd say

Was it used today?

Judging by the Leader 70 odd thousand expected next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Regardless of next weeks result, Cork will now be overwhelming favourites.
    They feel they were really hard done by in the Munster final, both with the wides in the first half and the dismissal of Patrick Horgan.
    They have improved immensely since then and Brian Murphy will now be in contention for a place in the final.
    They will be hoping for a Limerick win next week and will be driven on by the natural hunger for revenge, as is always the case.
    Likewise, if Clare win next week, they will relish the chance to avenge what, at the time, was a shock defeat to Cork in Munster.

I'm afraid I'm going to get very very nervous over the next week... I mean... I do believe we are capable of beating Clare.

I mean, they weren't overly impressive against Waterford, were beaten easily enough by Cork, were brought to extra-time by Wexford and although they beat Galway, Galway were poor.

But I suppose they'll say we only barely beat a poor Tipp team, and beat Cork who were down to 14 men for 35 mins.

If Downes, Tobin, O'Brien and Dowling are all fit, I do think we'll win. I think Allen will have the heads right, they'll know what they have to do stop Clare...and we will hopefully have the bench to hit them in the last 20 minutes. Any word on those after the training session this morning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

washman3 wrote: »
    Regardless of next weeks result, Cork will now be overwhelming favourites.
    They feel they were really hard done by in the Munster final, both with the wides in the first half and the dismissal of Patrick Horgan.
    They have improved immensely since then and Brian Murphy will now be in contention for a place in the final.
    They will be hoping for a Limerick win next week and will be driven on by the natural hunger for revenge, as is always the case.
    Likewise, if Clare win next week, they will relish the chance to avenge what, at the time, was a shock defeat to Cork in Munster.

Absoultey,we have improved in every game.But we wont be big favourites.

Clare would be tough,but were stronger now to play them,but their style would worry me.

Limerick are more direct and physical,but we have coped well against KK and Dublin.

I would think we have adapted to beating that style.

Have limerick adaped to beating teams that run at them,and will Allen make crucial calls when they need to be made,instead of when the final quarter is their.?

Allen ,i remain to be convinced by.

Absoultey,we have improved in every game.But we wont be big favourites.

Clare would be tough,but were stronger now to play them,but their style would worry me.

Limerick are more direct and physical,but we have coped well against KK and Dublin.

I would think we have adapted to beating that style.

Have limerick adaped to beating teams that run at them,and will Allen make crucial calls when they need to be made,instead of when the final quarter is their.?

Allen ,i remain to be convinced by.

Cork are on odds on now, 8/11.

I too remain unconvinced by Allen. Start with our best team anyway,,,I mean that's a fookin no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Rightwing wrote: »

I too remain unconvinced by Allen. Start with our best team anyway,,,I mean that's a fookin no brainer.

Why change a winning formula? Not sure what Allen has to do to win some of ye over, maybe if he called round and washed the car it might swings things in his favor....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Rightwing wrote: »

I have seen him loose more games than win on the side line.He wont change the team,he is stubborn to change once he makes hes mind up.And all hes talk is,that he starts a team to work hard,then unload the bench.

Just one all iretkand with Cork doesnt mean hes great.Counihan proved that.

Allen is a real players man,superb commincator,and likes philosphy etc,but he is poor to read a game,adapt to the flow of a game.

Limerick beat Tipp and Cork,both at home.He brought on fresh legs in those two games,it wont work against clare who have a bench too.

And against Cork with 14 men who in one of the hottest days in the year,struggled for an hour.

They have injury worries also.Jbm has adapted to every bad luck we had so far ,if allen looses hes strength in the panel,has he any other hand to play.

Id rather have Jbm any day than Allen as the manager.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement