Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Why change a winning formula? Not sure what Allen has to do to win some of ye over, maybe if he called round and washed the car it might swings things in his favor....
    If allen wins the all ireland,credit due.

But if ye loose to clare ,people will question him ,as that game will be one or lost on the sideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If allen wins the all ireland,credit due.

But if ye loose to clare ,people will question him ,as that game will be one or lost on the sideline.

I agree, if Allen wins the al ireland,,,,we have to admit we were wrong.

I'm not sure about Clare,,,,I don't really know where they are,,they looked v good v Cork for the first 20 mins, then just collapsed.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Why change a winning formula? Not sure what Allen has to do to win some of ye over, maybe if he called round and washed the car it might swings things in his favor....

I admit I could be wrong here, but I thought we were very lucky v Cork in the munster final. They could have had that game won at half time. And we were at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well, Ollie predicted Clare on the Sunday Game :D

I do think he's a good pundit, speaks very well... mightn't be overly controversial or anything, but I agree with most things he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Do you limerick boys think that playing outside the Gaelic grounds for the first time in the championship will make any difference to you. Home advantage was a bit advantage to you in my opinion. It's really hard to call this game Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The principal of the primary school in Ballingarry, a Clare lady, decided in her infinite wisdom to decorate one of the school's front windows in saffron and blue, with "An Clár abú" written across it.

Now, I'm all for banter, I welcome it, and in many places it is appropriate. This is not one of these places. The fact that its right beside Donal O'Grady's business makes it even more gauling :mad:

It's a Limerick school , populated with Limerick children. What place does a Clare banner have there?!!! Is she just trying to stir $hit up for the sake of it?????

Naive, childish and highly inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

grenache wrote: »
    The principal of the primary school is Ballingarry, a Clare lady, decided in her wisdom to decorate one of the school's front windows in saffron and blue, with "An Clár abú" written across it.

Now, I'm all for banter, I welcome it, and in many places it is appropriate. This is not one of these places. The fact that its right beside Donal O'Grady's business makes it even more gauling :mad:

It's a Limerick school , populated with Limerick children. What place does a Clare banner have there?!!! Is she just trying to stir $hit up for the sake of it?????

Naive, childish and highly inappropriate.

That's a disgrace. Burn the ****en school down I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Absoultey,we have improved in every game.But we wont be big favourites.

Clare would be tough,but were stronger now to play them,but their style would worry me.

Limerick are more direct and physical,but we have coped well against KK and Dublin.

I would think we have adapted to beating that style.

Have limerick adaped to beating teams that run at them,and will Allen make crucial calls when they need to be made,instead of when the final quarter is their.?

Allen ,i remain to be convinced by.

You gave a lot of reasons why you weren't convinced by Allen before the Munster Final and said that if limerick won that you would take it all back.

What does he need to do to prove to you his ability as a top level manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

slegs wrote: »
    You gave a lot of reasons why you weren't convinced by Allen before the Munster Final and said that if limerick won that you would take it all back.

Help Limerick to win the all Ireland !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

niallo27 wrote: »
    Do you limerick boys think that playing outside the Gaelic grounds for the first time in the championship will make any difference to you. Home advantage was a bit advantage to you in my opinion. It's really hard to call this game Sunday.

Obviously playing at home is great but its not a mega advantage like rugby and soccer to an extent.

The GG is a bit narrower of a field but we beat Clare in Thurles last year. The space will hopefully suit Tobin (if he plays) and Mulcahy (struggling with confidence too though). I've a feeling the game will come down to how Hannon plays. I don't feel he's performed all year to his standards.

John Allen has won more honours with Limerick than the last 6/7 (lost count?) limerick managers combined. Allen knew we lost the Tipp game last year by not having a strong bench and he's remedied that so far. I've no doubt he'll have the lads heads right. Bit of positivity lads. I honestly believe this is the best team since 96. We're fookin Munster champions for god sake Honest players and an honest attitude on Sunday and we should do it. Hon Limerick!

• Advertisement

In fairness once the sending off,Cork unlike yesterday had in 27 degrees or more of heat,kept with ye for a full hour.

Cork ran out of steam,and limerick may have won but not by 8 points.

Also keep in mind this was a depleted cork squad away from home.

Limerick win the all ireland,then credit due.

But if ye are beaten Sunday,it be interesting how ye define yere season.

Horgan was a key player as shown by hes one ten from play in 3 and a half games,and 2o frees.

Of course when your leading scorer is out ,you will struggle.
    Time has clearly shown he was a huge loss.If it was any other player,you could argue,it wouldnt make a difference to a large extent.

But a half without Horgan,Cork were never going to win in that heat.
    If i were limerick,id be very worried ,limerick beat an injury torn cork side down to 14 men,without their chief scorer,by impact subs and cork running out of gas.

Allen didnt make any changes for an hour.Against clare,he must pick he's best team from the start,or he be chasing a lead against clare.

The true test await for allen,to beat and clare,and if so can he beat Cork and JBM again.

Hes outside the comfort zone of the gaelic grounds,also.He must deliver more tactially to prevail.The players are their.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Obviously playing at home is great but its not a mega advantage like rugby and soccer to an extent.

The GG is a bit narrower of a field but we beat Clare in Thurles last year. The space will hopefully suit Tobin (if he plays) and Mulcahy (struggling with confidence too though). I've a feeling the game will come down to how Hannon plays. I don't feel he's performed all year to his standards.

John Allen has won more honours with Limerick than the last 6/7 (lost count?) limerick managers combined. Allen knew we lost the Tipp game last year by not having a strong bench and he's remedied that so far. I've no doubt he'll have the lads heads right. Bit of positivity lads. I honestly believe this is the best team since 96. We're fookin Munster champions for god sake Honest players and an honest attitude on Sunday and we should do it. Hon Limerick!

Cregan, Keane, Whelehan, McKenna, Bennis, McCarthy, O'Grady... that's 7... did I forget anyone?

Anyway, I do hope that Hannon can have a big game, Mulcahy likewise.
    Remember in 2007... we had been going well enough all year, but Shaughs burst into like in Croke Park, I think he scored 0-11 against Clare in the quarter-final...and then he scored 2-7 against Waterford. Hoping for something similar from Hannon, who is obviously talented.

In fairness once the sending off,Cork unlike yesterday had in 27 degrees or more of heat,kept with ye for a full hour.

Cork ran out of steam,and limerick may have won but not by 8 points.

Also keep in mind this was a depleted cork squad away from home.

Limerick win the all ireland,then credit due.

But if ye are beaten Sunday,it be interesting how ye define yere season.

Horgan was a key player as shown by hes one ten from play in 3 and a half games,and 2o frees.

Of course when your leading scorer is out ,you will struggle.
    Time has clearly shown he was a huge loss.If it was any other player,you could argue,it wouldnt make a difference to a large extent.

But a half without Horgan,Cork were never going to win in that heat.
    If i were limerick,id be very worried ,limerick beat an injury torn cork side down to 14 men,without their chief scorer,by impact subs and cork running out of gas.

Allen didnt make any changes for an hour.Against clare,he must pick he's best team from the start,or he be chasing a lead against clare.

The true test await for allen,to beat and clare,and if so can he beat Cork and JBM again.

Hes outside the comfort zone of the gaelic grounds,also.He must deliver more tactially to prevail.The players are their.

So you believe Cork would have beaten Limerick if Pat Horgan wasnt sent off?

I believe Cork blew their chance long before then. Limerick came like a train in the second half of the match against Tipp and did exactly the same against Cork.

If ye had 16 men playing ye wouldn't have beaten Limerick that day.

You have revised your view of this Cork team dramatically since the Munster final. Cant beat a couple of wins for the confidence,

And again, win or lose next Sunday 2013 is a successful year for Limerick. First munster championship in 17 years is massive progress. Its all gravy from here boy.

I believe Cork blew their chance long before then. Limerick came like a train in the match against Tipp and did exactly the same against Cork.

If ye had 16 men playing ye would have beaten Limerick that day.

I don't think Cork gave us the respect after the game that we should have got. If we beat Clare,,,,that'll stand to us in the final.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't think Cork gave us the respect after the game that we should have got. If we beat Clare,,,,that'll stand to us in the final.

No they didn't. Same old school Cork arrogance shining through, Blaming the defeat on a sending off because they couldn't contemplate that Limerick were the better team on the day. That would be just too much to take.

It has always been the same. When Limerick beat Tipp or Cork the excuse is that Tipp or Cork are poor that year but Cork or Tipp can make their name from beating Limerick teams.

Limerick have never gotten the credit for the ability of their hurlers. Even today you hear all this passion and heart **** like our fellas cant play quality hurling. Hannon, Dowling, G Mulcahy, S Tobin, O Mahoney, S Hickey, O Brien et al are as skilful and talented as anything Cork or Tipp have to offer.

About time Limerick got credit for hurling ability and for their victories.

No they didn't. Same old school Cork arrogance shining through, Blaming the defeat on a sending off because they couldn't contemplate that Limerick were the better team on the day. That would be just too much to take.

It has always been the same. When Limerick beat Tipp or Cork the excuse is that Tipp or Cork are poor that year but Cork or Tipp can make their name from beating Limerick teams.

Limerick have never gotten the credit for the ability of their hurlers. Even today you hear all this passion and heart **** like our fellas cant play quality hurling. Hannon, Dowling, G Mulcahy, S Tobin, O Mahoney, S Hickey, O Brien et al are as skilful and talented as anything Cork or Tipp have to offer.

I happen to think the sending off was crucial,,,but cork were saying 'they didn't perform on the day' and bs like that. Cork were excellent on the day.

I believe Cork blew their chance long before then. Limerick came like a train in the second half oaf the match against Tipp and did exactly the same against Cork.

If ye had 16 men playing ye wouldn't have beaten Limerick that day.

You have revised your view of this Cork team dramatically since the Munster final. Cant beat a couple of wins for the confidence,

And again, win or lose next Sunday 2013 is a successful year for Limerick. First munster championship in 17 years is massive progress. Its all gravy from here boy.
    I havent revised my views on cork greatly.
    Cork still need a natural full back,kenny to be replaced at 5,and we need more cover on the bench.

I didnt think we would beat kilkenny,but felt dublin was winnable.

I felt leading in to limerick,that ye were favourites and home advantage was a big help to ye but we could win.

What has changed is,mcdonnell has been moved,we have cover now with murphy back to replace kenny,and cork have improved in every game ,and while we have lots to do,we are certainly better now that june.

Would Cork have beaten limerick?i said it then,we will never know,thats why i remain to be convinced by allen,as the game was won as soon as horgan got the line,and it remained to be seen how allen would have reacted.We dont know.

And like I said,tougher tests await.

Thats why i remain to be convinced by allen.
    In the other thread,last week,a limerick poster,said he would rather play cork than dublin.We were seen as the easier of the two.

I said it then,we would be a different team to what ye played in june.O neill isnt a full back but better than mcdonnell.

Murphy is fit for the final.Cork have momentum now.

Horgan will be their,pa cronin and jamie coughlan are fully fit and recovered.

So i am fully justified in seeing Cork in a different light.And theres more in cork.

We are not and are far from the finished article,and i would be very worried if we met clare again.

If ye get beaten sunday,and i hope ye dont,and yere happy with allen and the munster title,with such a talented group of players,then fair enough.

I know the talent in limerick,close ties here.
    My fear is the man leading ye .

And better team ?it remains to be seen how good ye are as ye struggled to beat cork for an hour ,without our chief scorer.

Sunday will reveal a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

Hickey is not the best example of a skillful limerick hurler. He works hard and seems to be playing a lot better this year but I would not rate him as highly as a lot of the other limerick hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

If Limerick play Cork in the final, I reckon we will take them. Cork will be a different animal next time out.

• Advertisement

pajc wrote: »
    Hickey is not the best example of a skillful limerick hurler. He works hard and seems to be playing a lot better this year but I would not rate him as highly as a lot of the other limerick hurlers.

I disagree. Strongly.

I don't know why but Hickey more than most Limerick hurlers seems to draw criticism, particularly from within the county (Niall Moran might have been another a few years back).

He is a class hurler, hurling is not all about scoring from impossible angles and wristy striking, you can be a skilful hurler in other ways. Hickey is pretty strong in the air, very intelligent in his use of the ball and with his runs, both on and off the ball and defensively, he is one of the most skilled players Limerick have ever had.

Would anyone say Mark Foley wasn't a skilful player? Or Stephen McDonagh? When Hickey broke on the scene, he showed his ability at corner-back... he has excelled at wing-back... he was tried at full-back which didn't work as well because it wasn't his natural position but he did an okay job (even the likes of Paudie Maher have been shown up at full-back), and at centre-back. When moved to midfield in 2009, he was our best player and I would argue that he could have got an All-Star.

The strike year took a year out of his hurling, then of course he was injured last year and Allen didn't want to change a winning team. Now he's playing as a forward, which isn't his natural position but is playing a roaming role and is doing his job very well, he's just too good a player to leave off the team.

I'm a big fan of Hickey... but I would definitely count him as one of the most skilful hurlers Limerick have had in recent years, his skillset and versatility make him a hugely valuable player...not to mention other aspects of his game such as work rate, fitness and willingness to give everything for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Id forget all this Cork talk, we'll have to be at our best to beat Clare on sunday.

Ahh, i see there's a whole thread to the clare match, fair enough.

However i still dont know why anyone would want a couple of platitudes from Cork, go out and beat enm again the next day and you'll quickly find you dont give a **** what cork think.

Amprodude wrote: »
    If Limerick play Cork in the final, I reckon we will take them. Cork will be a different animal next time out.

And who says Limerick will be the same animal ;)

It'll be close, but I always said I'd prefer to meet Cork in the final than Dublin.

(I do realise we have a tough task of beating Clare first)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fireball07 wrote: »
    And who says Limerick will be the same animal ;)

It'll be close, but I always said I'd prefer to meet Cork in the final than Dublin.

(I do realise we have a tough task of beating Clare first)

I would prefer to meet Limerick.

Limerick are a super team and will be hard to beat. Nothing between any of these sides to be fair.

Q & A with Niall Moran on the Limerick GAA facebook page... nothing too illuminating, but still relatively interesting:
    1. If you could revisit any one moment in your career and go back and change it, what moment would you choose?
    A: I’d go back to the 2008 Munster Championship game against Clare. I felt that it was a time when we had the players and the work done to progress to a Munster final at that stage of our development and maybe build on the momentum of 2007, but unfortunately on the day we conceded four goals and didn’t play up to the required standard. I felt that year could really have opened up for us at the time, but often times you have huge regrets about lots of things.

2. If you could play an All-Ireland final in any stadium outside of Ireland, where would you like to play it?
    A: I’d play it in the MCG in Melbourne. I’ve been at Aussie Rules games there. It fits nearly 110,000 and there was 95,000 there when I was there and it was electric. It’s a stadium with such history and the greats of many sports have played there so I think it would be quite cool. The weather would be nice too!

3. Is there any one score you have gotten in your career that stands out for a particular reason?
    A: The point in the third game against Tipperary in 2007. I got the final point and there was an outpouring of emotion and relief at that particular stage because we had yet to experience winning a championship game. That was great, but it’s important to remember that every score in your career counts.
    4. Who was your toughest underage opponent?

A: At underage level, you’d have to say Andrew O'Shaughnessy – the man cost us (Ahane) more games than any other player because he was such a class act. Since then, Damien Reale. He was a top class corner back, very pacy and he read the game very well. He was as hard as nails. He’d give over his two front teeth before he’d give over a score.

5. If you could swap jerseys with any player in Ireland, who would you like to swap with?
    A: I think it would have to be Tommy Walsh. For me, I have grown up playing against him all the way up through the Fitzgibbon Cup in college, all types of hurling. I think it would probably be poignant on a personal level to get a jersey off someone like him. The man is top notch. He’s one hell of a sound guy for someone who has everything won in the game. To see the way he treats his club, what it means to him. Even against Cork when the game was drifting away from Kilkenny to see his enthusiasm to try and get to the pitch of the penalty – the man is just a legend.

6. Do you possess any sentimental GAA items at home?
    A: My father won a Tipperary Championship with his club Ardfinnan in the 1960s. It’s a beautiful medal with the coat of arms of Tipperary and it’s very rare in terms of how medals usually look at moment. I also have a golf ball that I got a hole in one in with in 2005 in Ballykisteen. Only for the fact that three of my friends were present to witness it at the time nobody would have believed me. In terms of my own sporting memorabilia that golf ball has to be up there too.

7. Who was your childhood hero growing up?
    A: With my dad being from Tipperary, I used to watch more of their games than any other county so I’d have to say Nicky English.

8. Select your dream half-forward line?
    A: I’d have to go with Henry Shefflin at centre-forward obviously. Someone who I always admired growing up was Nicky English because we used to be reared on Tipp games. It might be a bit out of position for Nicky but the man was class enough I think he could manage coming out to the half-forward line.

9. Who’s Limerick’s greatest ever sportsperson?
    Paul O’Connell without a doubt. Above all his achievements and everything else, it’s his humility that shines through. I have been fortunate enough to meet him through our school Ard Scoil Rís. The guy is so solid, so rounded such a sound guy and he gives his life to Munster and to Limerick. Top guy.

10. Who's the most famous sportsperson you ever met?
    A: He might not be the most famous, but I sat next to Alan Quinlan on a flight once and that was an education. Whilst I have met plenty of others, the fact that I got to pick his brains for an hour on a flight home from Heathrow was brilliant. He’s sound, he could tell you more about Limerick and Tipperary hurling than I could!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

When is the teamnamed lads? Though anything other than the same 15 would be a massive surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

In the hogan stand tier 324, in the corner, and row II i think. Any idea what the view from these seats are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

When is the teamnamed lads? Though anything other than the same 15 would be a massive surprise.

Presume after training on Thursday, Allen doesn't seem to be one for trying to keep everyone in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Would Cork have beaten limerick?i said it then,we will never know,thats why i remain to be convinced by allen,as the game was won as soon as horgan got the line,and it remained to be seen how allen would have reacted.We dont know.

Thats why i remain to be convinced by allen.

If ye get beaten sunday,and i hope ye dont,and yere happy with allen and the munster title,with such a talented group of players,then fair enough.
    I know the talent in limerick,close ties here.
    My fear is the man leading ye .

Your contstant sniping and undernminig of John Allen is both tiresome and patethic at this stage tbh not to mention the fact that it is completley unfounded and the man has a top CV and is one of the most well respected managers within the game. Build a bridge FFS!

• Advertisement

Your contstant sniping and undernminig of John Allen is both tiresome and patethic at this stage tbh not to mention the fact that it is completley unfounded and the man has a top CV and is one of the most well respected managers within the game. Build a bridge FFS!
    thats your view ,your entiled to it,just like i am with mine.

To say its pathetic,and tiresome,is water of a ducks back,to me with the greatest respect to you.

Allen has one all ireland,just one.It doesnt make him,a standout manager.Counihan won an all ireland,does that make him great.

Any cork person clued in to cork gaa,will say no.

Michael bond won offaly a title in 98,the right man at the right time.Would he be head hunted by most counties,no.

For the ist time in seven years,as i have said loads of times here,that people disagreed with me,allen admitted he was at fault for having no plan B against kk in 06.
    He said it today in the paper.

I have respect for him saying that now.

He said he never saw KK performance coming.In fairness under cody,out for revenge,stopping the three in a row,what he did expect,them to roll over.This is not any team,this is KK FFS.

Fail to prepare,prepare to fail.Jbm had done a piece in the paper leading up to the game,and stressed cork had to have a plan B.

Everbody could c,cody was waiting in the long grass.

Hes plan B,was bring on a defender that never played as a forward,up front,to win the game for cork.

He has done nothing since ,bar a munster title,that we dont know how it would have faired if horgan wasnt sent off.

As i said,if they win the all ireland,credit due,i admit i was wrong.

But he has done nothing majior yet.

He won an all ireland with a team in 05,that was already made,and we didnt have to beat kk.Did allen changes corks style or try to change it ,so we had another feather to our cap,no ,like counihan he thought ,leave as it is,were fine.

Robert di matteo came in at the right time and won a c leauge with chelsa,you don't c many top clubs after him.

Allen lost hes fair share of games with limerick,on the line, that they could have won.

At least i went on a limb,said my views on him,there be will some if limerick loose sunday that supported him turn on him quite easily if he gets beaten.

The fact is i have been to many training sessions ,and i have my doubts about hes tactial awarness.

Time will reveal all.If im wrong and he wins the all ireland ,i admit i was wrong.

He has done nothing yet for me to buy in to hes a great manager.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement