Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

thats your view ,your entiled to it,just like i am with mine.

To say its pathetic,and tiresome,is water of a ducks back,to me with the greatest respect to you.

Allen has one all ireland,just one.It doesnt make him,a standout manager.Counihan won an all ireland,does that make him great.

Any cork person clued in to cork gaa,will say no.

Michael bond won offaly a title in 98,the right man at the right time.Would he be head hunted by most counties,no.

For the ist time in seven years,as i have said loads of times here,that people disagreed with me,allen admitted he was at fault for having no plan B against kk in 06.
    He said it today in the paper.

I have respect for him saying that now.

He said he never saw KK performance coming.In fairness under cody,out for revenge,stopping the three in a row,what he did expect,them to roll over.This is not any team,this is KK FFS.

Fail to prepare,prepare to fail.Jbm had done a piece in the paper leading up to the game,and stressed cork had to have a plan B.

Everbody could c,cody was waiting in the long grass.

Hes plan B,was bring on a defender that never played as a forward,up front,to win the game for cork.

He has done nothing since ,bar a munster title,that we dont know how it would have faired if horgan wasnt sent off.

As i said,if they win the all ireland,credit due,i admit i was wrong.

But he has done nothing majior yet.

He won an all ireland with a team in 05,that was already made,and we didnt have to beat kk.Did allen changes corks style or try to change it ,so we had another feather to our cap,no ,like counihan he thought ,leave as it is,were fine.

Robert di matteo came in at the right time and won a c leauge with chelsa,you don't c many top clubs after him.

Allen lost hes fair share of games with limerick,on the line, that they could have won.

At least i went on a limb,said my views on him,there be will some if limerick loose sunday that supported him turn on him quite easily if he gets beaten.

The fact is i have been to many training sessions ,and i have my doubts about hes tactial awarness.

Time will reveal all.If im wrong and he wins the all ireland ,i admit i was wrong.

He has done nothing yet for me to buy in to hes a great manager.

FFS!

Manager makes mistake shocker... Would learning from mistakes not make him a better manager? I'm not saying he is perfect but let's cut him some slack, first Munster title in 17 years and the prospect of an AI final still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Vanolder wrote: »
    FFS!

Manager makes mistake shocker... Would learning from mistakes not make him a better manager? I'm not saying he is perfect but let's cut him some slack, first Munster title in 17 years and the prospect of an AI final still.

Best just to ignore him tbh, Allen either shagged he's bird or pissed in he's cornflakes or something but its just sad at this stage, anyone with any knid of objective view of it can see that Allen has done a fine job with Limerick and did very well to win an AI with Cork, when he took a job where the only way was down but he managed to retain the title at he's first attempt.

Best just to ignore him tbh, Allen either shagged he's bird or pissed in he's cornflakes or something but its just sad at this stage, anyone with any knid of objective view of it can see that Allen has done a fine job with Limerick and did very well to win an AI with Cork, when he took a job where the only way was down but he managed to retain the title at he's first attempt.

If we were in a dire postion you could understand it, but with the year that's been in it! Would lead you to suspect he aint a Limerick man, just on a wind up.

If we were in a dire postion you could understand it, but with the year that's been in it! Would lead you to suspect he aint a Limerick man, just on a wind up.

He's a Cork man who has a personal vendetta against Allen and he never misses a chance to take a swipe at him, did hou not realise that every game that Cork and Limerick have won under Allen is down to the players and previous management teams but that every defeat is entirely Allens fault, its very easy to follow really :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

He's a Cork man who has a personal vendetta against Allen and he never misses a chance to take a swipe at him, did hou not realise that every game that Cork and Limerick have won under Allen is down to the players and previous management teams but that every defeat is entirely Allens fault, its very easy to follow really :rolleyes:

That's harsh. Clare people were calling for davy fitz's head after cork beat them...

I'm critical of Allen for the fact that he is not starting his best team imo.....if he wins the all ireland everyone will admit they are wrong.

I said that for the munster final,,,,but the sending off did alter things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I support my views,whats sad is you resort to personal abuse.Water off a ducks back.

You dont know about much about Cork gaa,to say the only way was down after winning an all ireland with that team,with the greatest respect.

Rightwing wrote: »
    That's harsh. Clare people were calling for davy fitz's head after cork beat them...

I'm critical of Allen for the fact that he is not starting his best team imo.....if he wins the all ireland everyone will admit they are wrong.

I said that for the munster final,,,,but the sending off did alter things.
    .I have no personal agenda against allen,he is a nice man ,soundest,i remained to be convinced by him as a manager.Time will tell.

And of course,i will admit im wrong ,if he wins the all ireland.

I support my views,whats sad is you resort to personal abuse.Water off a ducks back.

You dont know about much about Cork gaa,to say the only way was down after winning an all ireland with that team,with the greatest respect.

When you are at the top obviously the only way is down, thats not a very complicated therom now :rolleyes: How do you improve on been AI champions??

What personal abuse btw, if you have seen personal abuse please report it to the mods and Im sure they will deal with it, good lad!

.I have no personal agenda against allen,he is a nice man ,soundest,i remained to be convinced by him as a manager.Time will tell.

And of course,i will admit im wrong ,if he wins the all ireland.

So you only recognise multiple AI winning managers as a sucess, thats pretty strict criteria.

Lets take an objective look at Allens career, if you will!

As manager of Cork he was in charge for two campaigns, winning two munster title and an AI title, loosing only one championship game in two years by a mere 3 points to what is now widely regarded as the greatest team of all time.

He then following a two year break returns to manage Limerick and 18 months into he's term has lead them to their first Munster title in 17 years and as yet he's only two defeats have been at the hands of Tipperary and Kilkenny.

How anyone can objectively look at that record and question he's managerial know how is quite frankly baffeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Jaysis, this one wont be sorted today or anytime before sunday so why not give it a rest.

• Advertisement

So you only recognise multiple AI winning managers as a sucess, thats pretty strict criteria.

Lets take an objective look at Allens career, if you will!

As manager of Cork he was in charge for two campaigns, winning two munster title and an AI title, loosing only one championship game in two years by a mere 3 points to what is now widely regarded as the greatest team of all time.

He then following a two year break returns to manage Limerick and 18 months into he's term has lead them to their first Munster title in 17 years and as yet he's only two defeats have been at the hands of Tipperary and Kilkenny.

How anyone can objectively look at that record and question he's managerial know how is quite frankly baffeling.

His CV looks very impressive. But, he has failed to get Limk out of div 1b...and I do think we've had a lot of luck this year.

His CV looks very impressive. But, he has failed to get Limk out of div 1b...and I do think we've had a lot of luck this year.

Aye the league thats whats important, I hear Frank Murphy is ready to sack JBM even if they win the AI, relegated to Div 1B tut tut Jimmy not good enough!

Aye the league thats whats important, I hear Frank Murphy is ready to sack JBM even if they win the AI, relegated to Div 1B tut tut Jimmy not good enough!

Silly point. JBM 1 of the best, if not the best around.

Youre right there.But Cody is the best around.

Sunday like you said be a good barometer.How are yere minors shaping up?

Youre right there.But Cody is the best around.

Sunday like you said be a good barometer.How are yere minors shaping up?

I'd always fear Galway minors,,,it's a 50-50 I'd say.

Would KK have got all their all irelands if JBM was around with Cork ? Maybe not.

Why is it silly, merely pointing out that what happens in the league is completely irrelevant, Allen was given a job to do and that was based on championship results, what Division they play in next years league is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Frankie couldn't get rid of John Allen fast enough!

Why is it silly, merely pointing out that what happens in the league is completely irrelevant, Allen was given a job to do and that was based on championship results, what Division they play in next years league is completely irrelevant.

For a knowledgeable poster, that's a basic error. Everyone wants to be in the top flight.

JBM himself said all he was thinking about was div 1a status. Allen said they were devastated after losing to Dublin.

Now, the championship is more important, no question about that. But as a neutral,,,may I ask you,,,do you think Limk were lucky in Munster this year ?

For a knowledgeable poster, that's a basic error. Everyone wants to be in the top flight.

JBM himself said all he was thinking about was div 1a status. Allen said they were devastated after losing to Dublin.

Now, the championship is more important, no question about that. But as a neutral,,,may I ask you,,,do you think Limk were lucky in Munster this year ?

Ah no team ever won anything without a certain element of luck, they deserved to beat Tipp because they were by far the hungrier team and they used there bench far more effectively.

Against Cork they rode their luck in the first 25 mins where they could easily have shiped a few goals, especially if Harnedy had a bit more composure, but even without the sending off I personally think they were well on their way to winning that game, and once again the use of the bench was excellent.

Limerick have the core of a very good team and most importantly they seem to have great desire and have all bought into Allens way of thinking, my biggest concern is the FB line and the HF line, the FB line has been lucky IMO thus far and the HF line while they all work tirelessly and do hte unseen work effectively I'm not sure tyou can win an AI with no natural scorer in that line.

Ah no team ever won anything without a certain element of luck, they deserved to beat Tipp because they were by far the hungrier team and they used there bench far more effectively.

Against Cork they rode their luck in the first 25 mins where they could easily have shiped a few goals, especially if Harnedy had a bit more composure, but even without the sending off I personally think they were well on their way to winning that game, and once again the use of the bench was excellent.

Limerick have the core of a very good team and most importantly they seem to have great desire and have all bought into Allens way of thinking, my biggest concern is the FB line and the HF line, the FB line has been lucky IMO thus far and the HF line while they all work tirelessly and do hte unseen work effectively I'm not sure tyou can win an AI with no natural scorer in that line.

Yeah,,,nothing there I could disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Your contstant sniping and undernminig of John Allen is both tiresome and patethic at this stage tbh not to mention the fact that it is completley unfounded and the man has a top CV and is one of the most well respected managers within the game. Build a bridge FFS!

Completely agree. This guy is spouting BS continually. Didn't he say he's be convinced if Limerick won Munster? Time to ignore him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

The full back line has been excellent and I genuinely think they are the best FB left in the competition. Any full back line will be exposed at times.

Half forward you may have a point but Breen always chips in with a score in his 40 mins or so, hickey usually does too, and both win frees, and Ryan scored three points last game. Also, Hannon plays almost as a half forward for the first part of the game, there's your natural scorer in that line. Not to mention dowling to come in.

The full back line has been excellent and I genuinely think they are the best FB left in the competition. Any full back line will be exposed at times.

Half forward you may have a point but Breen always chips in with a score in his 40 mins or so, hickey usually does too, and both win frees, and Ryan scored three points last game. Also, Hannon plays almost as a half forward for the first part of the game, there's your natural scorer in that line. Not to mention dowling to come in.

You are always banging on about Breen, is he your brother or something?

I think Corks FB line slightly shade it tbh, well that and having Nash behind them, Im probably beena bit harsh on McCarthy alright and he is probably been left with a lot to do because Wayne Mac doenst play as a holding CB like say Brain Hogan or COM and this leaves McCarthy slightly exposed, but the reality is Tipp and especially Seamie Callinan could have/should have scored three goals in the forst half and Corjk the same, whereas Cork have conceed one goal in 4 games.

Breen was terrible against Tipp tbf and Padraic Maher cleaned him out, unfortunately Paraic's delivery was of its usual terrible standard. Hickey does he's best hurling moving across the field or away from goal and surely we all admit the three points from Ryan were the exception rather than the norm and would be more than suprised if he repeats the trick. Like I said they are very affective and far more affective than say Tipps HF line where we have three great stickmen but all afraid of hard work and winning dirty ball, I just have a reservation that perhaps a balance is needed.

Completely agree. This guy is spouting BS continually. Didn't he say he's be convinced if Limerick won Munster? Time to ignore him now.
    I did but we dont know for sure who would have won if horgan wasnt send off.

What we do know is,in the hottest day of the year,that a game was played in,down a man,it was impossible for Cork to win,and the game was over.
    The fact we managed to make a contest of it for the hour,is a worry for limerick .
    JBM said that himself.We had no bench and as shown so far,greatly rely on our starting 15 to do the buisness.

When cork had to bring on cussen,who hasnt been used since,it tells how desperate we were,when our top scorer from play and most expiereneced forward got sent off.
    We will wait and see,time will tell.

I did but we dont know for sure who would have won if horgan wasnt send off.

What we do know is,in the hottest day of the year,that a game was played in,down a man,it was impossible for Cork to win,and the game was over.
    The fact we managed to make a contest of it for the hour,is a worry for limerick .
    JBM said that himself.We had no bench and as shown so far,greatly rely on our starting 15 to do the buisness.

When cork had to bring on cussen,who hasnt been used since,it tells how desperate we were,when our top scorer from play and most expiereneced forward got sent off.
    We will wait and see,time will tell.

By that train of though you must be really worried about the final considering KK and Dub pushed Cork right to the end with 14 men.

By that train of though you must be really worried about the final considering KK and Dub pushed Cork right to the end with 14 men.
    No cause we wont have to play them again .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think Corks FB line slightly shade it tbh, well that and having Nash behind them, Im probably beena bit harsh on McCarthy alright and he is probably been left with a lot to do because Wayne Mac doenst play as a holding CB like say Brain Hogan or COM and this leaves McCarthy slightly exposed, but the reality is Tipp and especially Seamie Callinan could have/should have scored three goals in the forst half and Corjk the same, whereas Cork have conceed one goal in 4 games.

Breen was terrible against Tipp tbf and Padraic Maher cleaned him out, unfortunately Paraic's delivery was of its usual terrible standard. Hickey does he's best hurling moving across the field or away from goal and surely we all admit the three points from Ryan were the exception rather than the norm and would be more than suprised if he repeats the trick. Like I said they are very affective and far more affective than say Tipps HF line where we have three great stickmen but all afraid of hard work and winning dirty ball, I just have a reservation that perhaps a balance is needed.

I think our full-back line is pretty good, as long as they don't get isolated...but any defence would struggle then.

I mean, I probably wouldn't have started Walsh but he was superb against Tipp and I can't remember him doing much wrong against Cork. Richie Mc has been class, despite being turned by Callanan once. Callanan's other big goal chance was the fault of the half-back line who didn't track the run of Bonner Maher and we were left with a 2 on 1 inside.

Not much between them and Cork, but I think having a natural full-back gives us a slight edge, even if O'Neill is arguably the best hurler of the lot.

And talking about what Limerick should have conceded, Clare missed a lot of goal chances against Cork, Conor McGrath had a serious off-day. And if it wasn't for Walsh acting ridiculously, Richie Power had a penalty buried. It's all hypothetical..... fact is both sides have only conceded 1.

The Limerick line I'd be most worried about is our half-back line. 3 talented hurlers...but not playing at their absolute best. Paudie and Gavin don't dominate in the air like some half-back lines do and while they're nice, intelligent hurlers, they need to keep their concentration and make sure their distribution is up to scratch, and to make sure they're tracking runners towards goal. Wayne is a solid enough player but needs to hold the middle and make sure he doesn't gift possession away.

No cause we wont have to play them again .

But with a bare 15 and no bench and Limerick or Clare are still in it with 15 to go, surely Cork will wilt...

• Advertisement

But with a bare 15 and no bench and Limerick or Clare are still in it with 15 to go, surely Cork will wilt...
    Fair point.

But you will surely agree with me on this,Cork will have a fully fit team for the final,bar we get through the final club games this wknd,as lorchan,cronin and murphy will all be fit for selection,where we have missed them in different games this year,and we have been trying to put out fires in every game.

Our bench isnt ideal but much better than where we were at in june .Horgan will hopefully get seventy minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement