Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Vanolder wrote: »
    But with a bare 15 and no bench and Limerick or Clare are still in it with 15 to go, surely Cork will wilt...

This is Cork we are talking about here not Limerick in an All Ireland Final. Cork hurling always give a good account of themselves in Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

whats the atmosphere like in limerick city for the match vs clare ? Is there much hype??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

kala85 wrote: »
    whats the atmosphere like in limerick city for the match vs clare ? Is there much hype??

Not so much hype, but people are def looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Vanolder wrote: »
    You are always banging on about Breen, is he your brother or something?

I was responding to a point about the half forward line numbnuts.

I think Corks FB line slightly shade it tbh, well that and having Nash behind them, Im probably beena bit harsh on McCarthy alright and he is probably been left with a lot to do because Wayne Mac doenst play as a holding CB like say Brain Hogan or COM and this leaves McCarthy slightly exposed, but the reality is Tipp and especially Seamie Callinan could have/should have scored three goals in the forst half and Corjk the same, whereas Cork have conceed one goal in 4 games.

Breen was terrible against Tipp tbf and Padraic Maher cleaned him out, unfortunately Paraic's delivery was of its usual terrible standard. Hickey does he's best hurling moving across the field or away from goal and surely we all admit the three points from Ryan were the exception rather than the norm and would be more than suprised if he repeats the trick. Like I said they are very affective and far more affective than say Tipps HF line where we have three great stickmen but all afraid of hard work and winning dirty ball, I just have a reservation that perhaps a balance is needed.
    You are fairly duking the stats there on the full back lines! Limerick "should have" conceded three goals so cork have conceded less!? What about O'Neill should have been sent off v kk and I can't believe he wasn't cited and suspended after? And what about Dublin "should have" had one goal at a minimum if not two? Ryan O'Dwyer should have buried his chance but blasted it straight at Nash who made a routine save that any goalie would have made.

Paudie O'Brien made a hero of Maher by hitting high ball to him and two balls directly to maher in space, which breen got the blame for. POB cut that out in the cork game which shows we are learning from mistakes at least. James Ryan generally scores a point or two from midfield, hitting three will do his confidence good and ill expect two points from him v Clare. Hickey is essentially playing as an extra half back, and as a half forward on our own puck outs. He caught puck outs, and also wasn't awarded two clear frees on the 45 v cork when fouled having beaten his man twice. On rewatching our two games I have been hugely impressed with him.

I see your point on our not having natural scorers there but it's a bit of a contradiction because that line isn't picked for scoring power and our game plan only works because of the players picked there denying the opposition any platform from half back, creating space in front and closing space at the back, winning frees for Hannon to tap over, and chipping in with the odd score.

Like fireball my concern is our half back line, but if there are big problems there we have the option of moving o'brien to his best position of midfield and O'Grady back to wing or centre back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I was responding to a point about the half forward line numbnuts.

Answer the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Limerick minor team has been announced as well, not much hype for this game with the senior game on too. But I reckon we have a decent chance, although it's very hard to know how good Galway are. But after winning Munster, and seeing we have a very talented team, I think we might do it.

1. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Richie English (Doon) (Capt)
    4. Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    5. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    6. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh)
    7. Sean Flanagan (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon)
    8. Darragh Donovan (Doon)
    9. Darragh Kennedy (Murroe/Boher)
    10. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Dean Coleman (Doon)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Pat Ryan (Doon)

Subs:
    16. Eoin McNamara (Doon)
    17. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    18. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen)
    19. Jamie Butler (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon)
    20. Edward Doyle (Monaleen)
    21. Seamus Flanagan (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon)
    22. Stephen Ryan (Doon)
    23. James Riordan (Bruff)
    24. Michael Dee (Murroe/Boher)

Plenty of controversy over the minors with 2 players apparently being dropped off the panel after being involved in the Munster victory. I'm not 100% sure as of now which players were left out, and which players are completely new but there are some changes:

Full-back line has been a bit vulnerable all year, English is once again at full-back with Cahill out of the 24, with Michael Casey of Na Piarsaigh coming in in the corner.
    Same half-back line with Ronan Lynch now holding the centre.
    Jamie Butler, who I rate very highly, has been left on the bench with Darragh Kennedy partnering Donovan in the middle of the field.
    Same half-forward line, our standout line for sure....Nash, Lynch and Dempsey have been absolutely class this year.
    And Tom Morrissey keeps his place up front, alongside Coleman and Ryan. Coleman scored a lot for Doon in the last round of club games, and Ryan is another very skilful hurler...I think Morrissey scored 2 goals for Ahane aswell, and he's a big, strong player...offers a good option.

Unchanged team, as expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Jaysus, some serious knives being stuck in here.

Jaysus, some serious knives being stuck in here.

not as many as in waterford ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Rightwing wrote: »

:D

Get it right, it's machetes they use down there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

I can't wait for this match & the minor match as well but I'm not sure I'll get to see that.

I think Limerick might shade just based on the results so far really but that's not really the best to judge by. Was at the Championship & both league games between these teams last year & there wasn't much between them on any day. I think if Clare full forward line hit top form they might edge. All of them have an eye for a goal but I'd be particularly worried about Honan. He can do serious damage if he hits top form. Having said that Richie is having a serious year & if the midfield & half back line can keep the pressure on the Clare lads delivering the ball, that'll be half the battle.

The other line that I think has been outstanding for Clare is the midfield. Colm Galvin has been superb for the last 12 months in any game I have seen & if Kelly is floating around midfield they're 2 serious hurlers. I can think Limerick match up well enough with them here. Paul Browne might be well suited to nullifying Galvin as he has the pace & engine to match him. Dodge is one of the most underrated hurlers in the country imo. Has been the best Limerick hurler for the last 5 years. I think we might even edge Clare here in an area the has been a strength for them.

Aaggh, rambling a bit now but very excited about this match & hopefully Limerick can win but a very hard game to call.

COME ON LIMERICK!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Where not in an all-ireland semi though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

D day is upon us. Time to stand up and deliver.

Best of luck to both Limerick teams today.

All the recent (rare) glory moments have been watched for inspiration from Barry Foley's sideline against Cork, to the massive comeback against Waterford the same year, the 2007 semi final when we somehow managed to win with donie Ryan on the field!!!

Limerick hurling teams nearly always bring desire and hunger but now we have a team with more mental fortitude than any limerick team in the last 15 years. This is our time. It's Limerick's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Thats a great limerick minor team. I hope they dont getting on the piss now like other limerick teams....

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Best of luck from a Mayo fan, we are probably your football counterparts, and hopefully 2013 will be the year all that heartbreak finally ends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Gutted for yere minors,was really hoping ye would win,and for jerry wallis as involved.

2 very good teams,none of two deserved to loose.What a dreadful call with hawkeye.

Barry Nash and Ronan lynch two super players ,for the future.The players gave it everything.

Best of luck in the senior game.

a disaster :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

dzilla banned for a week.

Am gutted for limerick,I wanted ye to win.

I wanted to be proved wrong,but ,i said it many times,allen is not a great tactian.Even hes most loyal fans,must surely question why he started the same team,why he left hannon on the frees,and why not bring on Downes.

He set the team up all wrong.Watching allen on the sideline,he seemed lost.When your team is been beaten at h time,and you dont go in to the dressing room,and give them leadership and try and change tactics,is for me ,bad management.

He was clearly saying all the blame is at the players,i let them think their way out of it.Great managers,which i have many a time said he is clearly not,guide your team and pick the best team from the start.

To chase clare was crazy.

Even at h time,all the pundits were saying allen got it wrong.I feel for limerick,ye will never have as good a chance again,and it would have been a great final.

This team ismuch better than today.I dont think allen will lead ye to allireland glory.
    Their was a lot of weak aeras in yere Munster final win,that limerick didnt work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

FFS that was shocking

Total failure from the management

Why was Allis first sub, I said it during the week he was first sub why I don't know.

We're blue in the face from saying dowling is the better free taker why couldn't the management see that.

Tactically annihilated, no composure hit terrible wides.

Hannon is not a FF.

Was tobin fit? No.

Just Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhh

Well done to clare, I think they'll win it now, in truth even if we played well I think they would have won.

Desperate day all round.

My concerns about our tactics came to pass.

Good luck to clare in the final,,,,but I think the tens of thousands of fans that travelled deserved better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

Congratulations to Clare. Their players coped admirably with the occasion and performed superbly. They played with ice. As for us, well, we just didn't show up, I'm afraid. Too many players found the occasion too big for them, couldn't deal with the "we'll-never-learn-from-bitter-experience" hype. Lots of people will blame the management, but I saw a group of lads lose their bottle in that first half. You can't legislate for talented players missing the ball completely on a sideline cut not once, but twice. That's not the management, that's the occasion.

Most sport is decided in the head. Limerick, once again, failed to rise to the big day in Croke Park. Clare, by contrast, were clinical.

Good luck to Clare in the final. They coped admirably and then let their talent shine through. We weren't up to it, you were. All the best against Cork.

FFS that was shocking

Total failure from the management

Why was Allis first sub, I said it during the week he was first sub why I don't know.

We're blue in the face from saying dowling is the better free taker why couldn't the management see that.

Tactically annihilated, no composure hit terrible wides.

Hannon is not a FF.

Was tobin fit? No.

Just Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhh

Well done to clare, I think they'll win it now, in truth even if we played well I think they would have won.
    iagree.I told ye bout allen,and people thought i was anti,harsh on him.

No,as a geuine fan,that knows cork hurling inside out,allen is overated.

Yere going no where with him as the main man.Im gutted for ye,but knew this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Desperate day all round.

Good luck to clare in the final,,,,but I think the tens of thousands of fans that travelled deserved better than that.

Yeah absolutely agree with that

Desperate day all round.

ye deserve much better with the players yethad.

To hear hes interview a joke.you dont change whats not broken.Sums allen up for me in a nutshell.Reminds me of counihan in the post interview talk.

ye deserve much better with the players yethad.

To hear hes interview a joke.you dont change whats not broken.Sums allen up for me in a nutshell.Reminds me of counihan in the post interview talk.

Ya, another false dawn, gutted, but can't say I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Field Master

Hannon was desperate. Limerick choked, believed their own hype. Ohhh Richeee McCartheee

Hannon was desperate. Limerick choked, believed their own hype. Ohhh Richeee McCartheee

Hannon choked,,,was as bad a performance as I've ever seen.

Management were like dummies at half time reading the match programme :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 The Field Master

Hannon choked,,,was as bad a performance as I've ever seen.

Management were like dummies at half time reading the match programme :rolleyes:

Hannon wasted at full forward. Tobin shouldn't have played. braindead tactically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement