Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Hannon wasted at full forward. Tobin shouldn't have played. braindead tactically.

Your right.I have said this for months,and unlike some limerick fans and others,that accused me of being pathetic,tiresome and unjustified in my critics of allen,have not went with the popular myth that both limerick and my own cork newspapers have ,that allen is great,and can take teams he has to build himself to the elite level.

Be interesting now all those fans that thought limerick were flawless in the munster final,that the game was won for them with the sending off,than allen actually winning it than unloading the bench with ten to go,when if they were as good as they thouht he was,would have played them much sooner and blown cork out the gate,than just wait for ten minutes to go,and cork ran out of steam,will now hold Allen in the same light and truly believe he is the man to win them an all ireland.Some fans now that followed the hype,will turn very fast now.

They will run with the hare,and chase with the hound now it suits.

I think myself allen would like to stay on.I hope the limerick board are not blinded by the munster title,and really see this as an opportunity lost,and make the bold and brave move to get a new man in,as there is talent here,but it needs the right man at the helm.
    Allen is a superb,motiavtor,link man,but not a tactian.He talked the talk during the week in the Examiner,went in to great detail how galway were beaten by clare and tactially what should have been done.

Isnt hindsight a great thing.Today living in the moment the man that talked the talk,could'nt walk the walk.It's a shame,as the team and fans deserve better.

As a cork man,i know allen strengths and weakness and said since May,hes poor at tactics.Nothing suprised me today.He looked lost on the sideline.

Every manager makes mistakes.The great one like cody,jbm ,davy all learn and improve from them.Allen cant read a game,or be radical to react.James ryan had a stormer,but limericks half forward line like i predicted would work all day,but wouldnt score much.

Clares tony kelly works all days like seamus harnedy but can score.

Even ollie moran on the radio said tactially limerick were beaten.

Riche mac,was very good ,and should win an all star.Hannon wont now.

Quaid wont either,Nash had it won already,but this nails it for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Your right.I have said this for months,and unlike some limerick fans and others,that accused me of being pathetic,tiresome and unjustified in my critics of allen,have not went with the popular myth that both limerick and my own cork newspapers have ,that allen is great,and can take teams he has to build himself to the elite level.

Be interesting now all those fans that thought limerick were flawless in the munster final,that the game was won for them with the sending off,than allen actually winning it than unloading the bench with ten to go,when if they were as good as they thouht he was,would have played them much sooner and blown cork out the gate,than just wait for ten minutes to go,and cork ran out of steam,will now hold Allen in the same light and truly believe he is the man to win them an all ireland.Some fans now that followed the hype,will turn very fast now.

They will run with the hare,and chase with the hound now it suits.

I think myself allen would like to stay on.I hope the limerick board are not blinded by the munster title,and really see this as an opportunity lost,and make the bold and brave move to get a new man in,as there is talent here,but it needs the right man at the helm.
    Allen is a superb,motiavtor,link man,but not a tactian.He talked the talk during the week in the Examiner,went in to great detail how galway were beaten by clare and tactially what should have been done.

Isnt hindsight a great thing.Today living in the moment the man that talked the talk,could'nt walk the walk.It's a shame,as the team and fans deserve better.

As a cork man,i know allen strengths and weakness and said since May,hes poor at tactics.Nothing suprised me today.He looked lost on the sideline.

Every manager makes mistakes.The great one like cody,jbm ,davy all learn and improve from them.Allen cant read a game,or be radical to react.James ryan had a stormer,but limericks half forward line like i predicted would work all day,but wouldnt score much.

Clares tony kelly works all days like seamus harnedy but can score.

Even ollie moran on the radio said tactially limerick were beaten.

Riche mac,was very good ,and should win an all star.Hannon wont now.

Quaid wont either,Nash had it won already,but this nails it for him.

I agree with most of that, we had no luck today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Have you any experience as a coach at any level?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Hard luck today lads. Just had one of those days unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Posted this in the match thread. Feel so empty now. Destroyed after it. Misery.

Where to begin. Limerick have been here so often before.

Well done to Clare. Clinical with their shooting. Every shot seemed to go over the bar. Was like a dagger through our heart each time. Everything seemed to go well for them.

Thanks to the players for a great year even if it did end in disappointment. I'm not going to criticise any of them. Amateur players giving a massive commitment.

Just seems that the players were waiting for something to happen all game. Everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong. Even hawkeye turned against our minors. Just one of those days. All the wides we hit early, losing Hickey (any word on him) and conceding one of the poxiest goals of all time.

Just sick of losing. 40 years without the big prize. Hard to see us ending this on today's evidence. Sometimes I think we'll never win it and today is one of them days. Can't see us building from this next year. The huge effort that the lads put in only to come up horrendously short. Hard to see them putting two seasons like that together. We didn't build on 94 the year after. We won the league in 97 but then got a dusting in Munster. We had a good year in 2001 and twas 2007 before we did anything. Then in 2008 we did nothing.

Couldn't give two hoots if I never again went to watch a limerick hurling team again. Its the hope that gets me. For 17 years I've been going to games and its the same sh1t all the time. We'll never get there.

• Advertisement

peepee wrote: »
    Have you any experience as a coach at any level?
    I dont have to answer that.Everything i said with allen regarding tactics,i was right.I have said this long before today.I have seen and been to many games where he was a manager.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree with most of that, we had no luck today though.
    Fortune favours the brave.It wasnt that ye were beaten by a puck of a ball,ye were totally outhought and outplayed.

I really feel for ye and am gutted ,i wanted a cork limerick final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fortune favours the brave.It wasnt that ye were beaten by a puck of a ball,ye were totally outhought and outplayed.

I really feel for ye and am gutted ,i wanted a cork limerick final.

Limerick should have no complaints. Not good enough today. Well beaten. It would be far worse if they lost by a point and played to their best. Cork got a better game against Dublin which should stsnd to them. Clare won easy today because Limericks nerves left them down on crucial moments. Clare were the better team but Limerick were horrible.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Limerick should have no complaints. Not good enough today. Well beaten. It would be far worse if they lost by a point and played to their best. Cork got a better game against Dublin which should stsnd to them. Clare won easy today because Limericks nerves left them down on crucial moments. Clare were the better team but Limerick were horrible.

Yeah its a bad blow even worse than 09.as they expected to win .Clare be very hard to beat though.I think limerick were beaten when the team was announced thursday.I said you cant empty the bench with the game over and clare would be ready and waiting.They were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

One of the few sensible things that's been said to me since was regarding the performance of all the county players in the club games 2 weeks ago, apparently not one of them played well (GOM aside). Anyone at club games corroborate this?

Possibly over trained, body fat levels really low and players are just empty. It certainly looked like it their today.

The free taking is the starting point of analysis though, cant look past that.

All credit to the players, had 2 great days out.

• Advertisement

Yeah its a bad blow even worse than 09.as they expected to win .Clare be very hard to beat though.I think limerick were beaten when the team was announced thursday.I said you cant empty the bench with the game over and clare would be ready and waiting.They were.

Clare will fear Cork too dont forget. Hard game to call.

Clare will fear Cork too dont forget. Hard game to call.

They won't. No one fears Cork anymore.

We were well beaten, no excuses, I just felt nothing went our way and everything went Clares.

I go to our games in Munster, but after the fiasco in 2009, I've given up going to Croke Pk.

Clare wont be feared by Cork either. Hard game to call.

Clare wont be feared by Cork either. Hard game to call.

I'd favour Cork to win. LK had a complete breakdown today, it's hard to judge Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

We were well beaten, no excuses, I just felt nothing went our way and everything went Clares.

I go to our games in Munster, but after the fiasco in 2009, I've given up going to Croke Pk.

40 years worth of Unlimited Heartbreak you were a pitiful rabble today.;) Hard luck to the genuine Limerick fans on here.Limerick bottled it.That team were in no fit mental state to play a match today.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Was just thinking to myself that the Hawkeye decision would happen to no other county other than Limerick. Luck seems to desert us. Still wed 59 minutes to score more than Galway and we didn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

There was no luck - or tactics - involved in our free-taker dissolving in a pool of his own terror today or our side-line taker swiping at the ball like Marge Simpson with a baseball bat. Man management might have spotted this kind of thing, but there's no luck or tactical approach that explains the fear I saw at Croke Park today.

These are amateur players, so I hope they recover. However, I think we're miles from winning an All-Ireland if we allow ourselves to be so utterly overwhelmed by understandable human emotion. We beat ourselves. Clare just had to be competent - and they were more than that.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Was just thinking to myself that the Hawkeye decision would happen to no other county other than Limerick. Luck seems to desert us. Still wed 59 minutes to score more than Galway and we didn't do it

Even if we'd won the minor it would have eased the pain a bit.

Your contstant sniping and undernminig of John Allen is both tiresome and patethic at this stage tbh not to mention the fact that it is completley unfounded and the man has a top CV and is one of the most well respected managers within the game. Build a bridge FFS!

I dont think many counties would headhunt allen now.Kilkenny,Cork ,Clare have all better managers now.

I respect allen as a person,great time for him.All i have ever done is question hes managenment tactially,and within reason.

My concerns were not unfounded and clearly justifed as today proved without any shadow of a doubt.
    It will be interesting if limerick people want him to stay on.

Hannon was never a full forward,he should have started Dowling,and downes to sub with ten minutes to go and the game over was crazy.

This limerick panel could achieve more with the right manager.

Even if we'd won the minor it would have eased the pain a bit.
    Ye were robbed to be fair.that was a woeful call.ye should be in the final,if that went over.

• Advertisement

Ye were robbed to be fair.that was a woeful call.ye should be in the final,if that went over.

In fairness to the minors they gave it their all. It should have been a replay,,,,why extra time ?

Drico wrote: »
    There was no luck - or tactics - involved in our free-taker dissolving in a pool of his own terror today or our side-line taker swiping at the ball like Marge Simpson with a baseball bat. Man management might have spotted this kind of thing, but there's no luck or tactical approach that explains the fear I saw at Croke Park today.

These are amateur players, so I hope they recover. However, I think we're miles from winning an All-Ireland if we allow ourselves to be so utterly overwhelmed by understandable human emotion. We beat ourselves. Clare just had to be competent - and they were more than that.
    That what allen has,man management and superb communication.Tactically,miles off.
    Hed be fine part of the set up,not the main man.
    When is hes term up?

That what allen has,man management and superb communication.Tactically,miles off.
    Hed be fine part of the set up,not the main man.
    When is hes term up?

Now. I agree, he's not good enough to be the main man.

We let ourselves believe,,,,I won't be making that mistake again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

The minors did their best - but it's a good lesson for them to learn that you'll win nothing if you shoot the amount of wides they did today. A hard lesson, but they are young enough to learn.

I'm afraid some of us have had enough of the near misses in Limerick. Until we develop a winning mentality - where a Munster title isn't celebrated like the Rapture - I suspect we'll forever bemoan "luck".

In fairness to the minors they gave it their all. It should have been a replay,,,,why extra time ?
    Agree,they coudnt gave any more.Galway were superb too.

I dont know why it wasnt a replay.It should have been replayed in thurles .

Now. I agree, he's not good enough to be the main man.

We let ourselves believe,,,,I won't be making that mistake again. :mad:

Is it up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I dont think many counties would headhunt allen now.Kilkenny,Cork ,Clare have all better managers now.

I respect allen as a person,great time for him.All i have ever done is question hes managenment tactially,and within reason.

My concerns were not unfounded and clearly justifed as today proved without any shadow of a doubt.
    It will be interesting if limerick people want him to stay on.

Hannon was never a full forward,he should have started Dowling,and downes to sub with ten minutes to go and the game over was crazy.

This limerick panel could achieve more with the right manager.

What are you on about John Allen delivered that rarest of things a trophy to Limerick!So are they going to stick the knife into John Allen now?What a crowd of basket cases they won't get a finer manager than John Allen.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

He got a 2 year deal. It's up now.

Who else could we get if Allen was let go,,,,,is there anyone out there? I'm beginning to think you need a limerick man in.

He got a 2 year deal. It's up now.

Who else could we get if Allen was let go,,,,,is there anyone out there? I'm beginning to think you need a limerick man in.

It was a pity Grady didnt stay in charge for longer.

• Advertisement

It was a pity Grady didnt stay in charge for longer.

I think he's a better manager than allen, but his style didn't suit us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement