Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It would be great for Limerick had they won and stayed up. Even with last years squad they might still have been relegated. What now? With more training and challenge matches they might put up a reasonable performance in the qualifiers, depending on the draw. I would love to see the current squad get the chance to progress over the next 12 months as I do believe by the time the league comes around again they would be more of a team and could survive in Div.2, afterall they are better than todays scoreline would suggest. By that stage I'm sure some of the striking player will have retired and maybe a few of the younger ones might return. Wishful thinking?

Survive in Division 2?:mad: Should not be there. Justin was right to drop a few players but not the way he did and he should go now. At least if sone of the players come back we could have a day out in Thurles or Cork with a decent hurling match but now? Big ball for the summer me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Lads, lads, lads, can't people see we need to be rid of both the players and the coach? Neither are the solution and all of them should be removed from the equation.

The real problem here is that the county board has let the standard of hurling in Limerick, underage, club etc, decline far below the standard of the top counties. Even our best players aren't close to good enough. Every Limerick fan has to see that the county board are doing a rubbish job (and have been for a few decades) and the players we're missing (for the most part) aren't good enough anyway.

Limerick hurling needs to be rebuilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Lads, lads, lads, can't people see we need to be rid of both the players and the coach? Neither are the solution and all of them should be removed from the equation.

Getting rid of the players has resulted in a team which got absolutely slaughtered against Dublin. A few needed to be moved on but all of them?? That's absolute insanity.

The coach: two county panels had a problem with him within 18 months of each other. Coincidence? No. One county board had the sense to sack him and the other county board didn't.

The players: Underperformed last year. However, way too many people are too blind to see that Justin had a part in that. A lot of these guys got to an All-Ireland final on merit not so long ago, not by being the most skilled in the country, but by hard work, commitment and intensity and because Bennis got the most out of them.

The real problem here is that the county board has let the standard of hurling in Limerick, underage, club etc, decline far below the standard of the top counties.

Rubbish.

Club hurling is not far below other counties. Adare are one of Munsters strongest clubs at the moment. Our intermediate champions got to the All-Ireland final, our Junior A champions WON the All-Ireland final and our Junior B champions got to an All-Ireland final. What more do you want?

Underage teams? Ard Scoil Ris have proven that we have a nice share of talented youngsters. The last few years have not been fantastic at minor or U21 level but Limerick never were consistently successful at this level anyway.
    Even our best players aren't close to good enough. Every Limerick fan has to see that the county board are doing a rubbish job (and have been for a few decades) and the players we're missing (for the most part) aren't good enough anyway.

Limerick hurling needs to be rebuilt.

Yes the county board are rubbish. But the players you speak of are the best we have, and the league has shown we NEED them.
    Limerick hurling needs to be rebuilt alright but part of that rebuilding has to be done around the likes of Brian Geary, Seamus Hickey, Donal O'Grady, Damien Reale, Gavin O'Mahony and James Ryan and a few others.

The NHL this year was of no benefit to any of the newer players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Well done to the lads, mickey ned and everyone involved in croker today :D After the waterford goal, anything could have happened but the lads worked together and finally got a result and some silverware that they so well deserve.

Bring on the munster championship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

good win today for the lads. still doing a lot of the short hand passing but they took a few lovely scores in fairness. a bit of positive news for Limerick Gaa at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Fair play to you guys today, maybe on the grand scheme of things the best team just about won, and you're right in saying a bit of positive news was needed in your county recently!

Assuming we get past Clare we'll see you again in a few weeks ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Absolutely delighted Limerick won and people will talk about the footballers for a while.
    Comhghairdeas Luimní

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

FINALLY some good news :D!

Hopefully the footballers will have gotten a taste for silverware- plenty of incentive, a decent draw and a Munster final against either of Cork or Kerry would be at the Gaelic Grounds.

I'm still disgusted that the final was fixed for Croke Park at 5pm on a Saturday- most Limerick people wouldn't get home from that until 10 or 11pm and it also had a Munster rugby game to compete with. An earlier kick off in Cork or Thurles would have been win win all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Daysha wrote: »
    Fair play to you guys today, maybe on the grand scheme of things the best team just about won, and you're right in saying a bit of positive news was needed in your county recently!

Assuming we get past Clare we'll see you again in a few weeks ;)
    I think Limerick may be the better team overall but i feel that Waterford were as good as if not better than us today. If you had got a second green flag from your plethora of goal chances you'd surely have brought home the silverware. Some quality footballers in deiseland, Lionnáin and Hurney are class acts.

None the less, well done to the lads, they never panicked, even when 2 points behind with eight mins on the clock. We had good performances from lots of guys, the likes of Andrew Lane and John Mullane. From where i was sitting our best performers were Andrew Lane, Jim Donovan, James Ryan and Ger Collins. The last three guys in particular were outstanding. I think for the first time Jim Donovan really put John Galvin in the shade, his fielding and support play was outstanding. Eoghan O'Connor is a one for the future, great footballing ability and lightening pace, reminds me of a younger Stephen Kelly. Cudos to Brian Scanlon for kicking that monsterous 45 too under such pressure. Perhaps we are seeing the maturing of this team, in past seasons we would have lost a tight match like todays, but today we had the confidence and you could see the assuredness of their play in the last ten mins in particular. To win the division final without Lucey, McCarthy and Lavin is a great achievement in itself.

Well done Mickey Ned and co.

With the hurling and football championships now underway here are some results and up and coming fixtures.

RESULTS:

Saturday 08th May, 2010

Live 95fm County SFC Group 1
    Monaleen 4-9 St. Kierans 0-2

Griffin Coaches IFC Group 2
    Gerald Griffins 0-12 Galtee Gaels 1-8

O Neills Sports AC SHL Div 1A
    Ballybrown 0-11 Kilmallock 0-13
    Bruree vs Bruff - conceded by Bruff

O Neills Sports AC SHL Div 1B
    Murroe Boher 3-19 South Liberties 1-11
    Na Piarsaigh 3-8 Ahane 1-13

O Neills Sports AC IHL Div 1A
    Caherline 1-12 Ballybricken 1-15
    Hospital/Herbertstown 0-9 Dromin Athlacca 0-10

O Neills Sports AC IHL Div 1B
    Kileedy 1-9 Mungret 2-13

O Neills Sports AC JHL Div 1B
    Effin 1-19 Croagh/Kilfinny 2-9

FIXTURES

Sunday 09th May, 2010

O Neills Sports AC JHL Div 1B
    Castletown-Ballyagran vs Pallaskenry - Ballyagran @ 7:30 pm
    St. Kierans vs Feenagh/Kilmeedy - Coolcappa @ 7:30 pm

O Neills Sports AC JHL Div 1A
    Kilmallock vs Bruree - Fitzgerald Park Kilmallock @ 12:00 pm
    Old Christians vs Garryspillane - Rathbane @ 12:00 pm

Live 95fm County SFC Group 1
    Claughaun vs St. Patricks - Clarina @ 7:30 pm

Thursday 13th May, 2010

O Neills Sports AC SFL Div 1B
    Adare vs Monaleen - Adare @ 7:45 pm
    Claughaun vs Na Piarsaigh - Childers Road @ 7:45 pm
    Pallasgreen vs St. Patricks - Pallasgreen @ 7:45 pm

Live 95fm County SHC Group 2
    Bruree vs Croom - Bruff @ 7:30 pm

Friday 14th May, 2010

Murroe Boher vs Granagh/Ballingarry - Clarina @ 7:30 pm

• Advertisement

Lets give this thread a new lease of life now that the championship bandwagon is starting to get going.

Taken from the Limerick GAA website.

LIMERICK SENIOR FOOTBALL TEAM V. WATERFORD
    Brian Scanlon, Mark O’Riordan, Johnny McCarthy, Andrew Lane, Stephen Lavin, Stephen Lucey, Pa Ranahan, James O’Donovan, John Galvin, Padraig Browne, James Ryan, Seanie Buckley (Capt), Ger Collins, Ian Ryan & Stephen Kelly. Substitutes: Conor Ranahan, Shane Gallagher, Eoin Joy, Conor Fitzgerald, Eoghan O’Connor, John Mullane, Cormac Joyce-Power, Diarmiud Carroll, Raymond Hayes, Garrett Noonan, Seamus O’Carroll, Conor Mullane, John Cooke & Barry Fitzpatrick.

Not a bad looking team I must say. Good to see Mickey Ned having the full squad available to him. We even have good options on the bench for once with the likes of Shane Gallagher, Conor Fitz, John Mullane, CJP and Conor Mullane.

I hope to God they're not caught on the hop and they don't take the Deise for granted because they have shown they are a good team and down on a tight pitch in Dungarvan it's all set up for an ambush. Lets hope they can use the heartbreak from Cork and Portlaoise last year to give it a right good go this year when we ran 2 of the all Ireland semi finalists to a point and should have beaten both of them. If we win we get a home final which would be great for the football people of Limerick.

I'm worried about this one. Has all the makings of an upset. Waterford definitely a team on the up, confidence is high with them, thats half the battle. That said, if Limerick perform in the same way they did towards the end of the league, i have no doubts that we will win. My main concerns are the lack of game time Stephen Lucey, Stephen Lavin and Johnny McCarthy have had. I know Lucey has been back for a while but he missed the league and that wouldn't help. I'd expect James Ryan to act as a third midfielder with Stephen Kelly coming out to the half line. Relieved that CJP isn't starting as he seemed to be a favourite of Mickey Ned's for a while, it cant have been for any footballing ability though! Both Ger Collins and Ian Ryan are in very good form for their clubs and had good leagues, i'm expecting big things from them. Collins in particular has improved immensely as a player in the last eighteen months, he seems to be popping up in the right positions and his off the ball running has increased significantly.

As seen in the league final, the Waterford half backs like to surge forward and support the attack so it will be important to limit these darts forward tomorrow. I'm predicting a low scoring tight game with Limerick coming out on top by the minimum.

Lovely day for football in Dungarvan. No breeze. Perfect conditions. Big Limerick support here. Looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Work stopping me from heading down, hope the boys win as it would mean a home Munster final!

Syl Doyle is not fit to referee a match. Some of the decisions he has made for both teams have been scandulous. He keeps blowing up for the silliest things. Useless.

We're going through the motions, sending off was very harsh on Waterford, there was a trailing arm but it was more accidental than anything. Collins, Ryan, Galvin and Ranahan best for us so far. Bit worried by Gary Hurney's ability to claim ball and cause trouble for our defence, other than that, with the slight breeze at our backs in second half, we should see this one through. James Ryan, Mark O'Riordan and Stephen Lucey not up to the pace as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

11 wides at the moment..looks like the same old problem cant sort out our shooting boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

Well done Limerick footballers 8 points win, 1.17 - 1.09. Sounds like they were well on top today. Hopefully they can break their duck and win Munster this year. At least theres something to cheer about this year with the hurling fiasco ongoing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

grenache wrote: »
    Syl Doyle is not fit to referee a match. Some of the decisions he has made for both teams have been scandulous. He keeps blowing up for the silliest things. Useless.

Agree with the Syl Doyle comment. The G.A.A. first thing on Tuesday Morning should remove him from the list of those allowed to referee games this year. Some of his decissions were more than very strange. There was no consistancy. Well Done to Limerick on the win. The better team on the day won, but i am sure if the game was refereed fairly, the outcome would have been much closer.

Delighted with the result but couldn't make it down for it.

With Galvin playing the replay against Cork next Saturday there will surely be a sending off somewhere and a suspension. Great chance for Limerick to spring an ambush in the Gaelic grounds in 4 weeks time. The county board should do a publicity drive to get as many people to go as possible. These lads deserve the same level of support the hurlers got until this year.

Luimneach abu!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Delighted with the win today,but we'll have to step it up a few more gears If we're gonna beat Kerry or Cork.
    Stephen kelly and John Galvin would be my pick for motm. The red card was very hash in my opinion,and the umpires gave points that looked well wide to me,but despite the poor refering, Limerick seemed to be the better outfit from the onset.

Who would you guys rather for the final?Cork or Kerry?

To be honest I don't know who I'd prefer. Maybe Cork because I don't know if we could handle Donaghy. We did well against Cork last year but they won't be taking us for granted.

Just checked the Munster Council website, we should definitely be shouting for the Rebels next Saturday, as a Limerick-Cork final will be held in the Gaelic Grounds. If Kerry win, the final will be in Killarney.

grenache wrote: »
    Just checked the Munster Council website, we should definitely be shouting for the Rebels next Saturday, as a Limerick-Cork final will be held in the Gaelic Grounds. If Kerry win, the final will be in Killarney.

Are you sure? I thought that whoever won it would still be in the gaelic grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

Just a couple of questions. Where would I be able to get a cheap Limeirck jersey or Polo shop. I understand this is the last year for the current jersey so iwas wondering would I get it cheap somewhere or the Polo top would suffice. Also with regards to the Munster Final when will the tickets go on general public sale for this and would ticketmaster be the best place to get one?

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

Just a couple of questions. Where would I be able to get a cheap Limeirck jersey or Polo shop. I understand this is the last year for the current jersey so iwas wondering would I get it cheap somewhere or the Polo top would suffice. Also with regards to the Munster Final when will the tickets go on general public sale for this and would ticketmaster be the best place to get one?

I think Limerick Sport scene are doing a sale on Limerick clothing at the moment?
    It won't be difficult to get tickets for the Munster final at all,I say we can expect 20,000 max at the gaelic grounds. Ticketmaster will probably be your best bet and will go on sale after the cork/kerry replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I was abit late for the match so had to listen to some of it on the radio.
    Didn't get to see the sending off but the crowd in WLR fm were all up in arms over it. Dunno if that was just pure bias (as they weren't exactly the most neutral :pac:) or what but it would have been rather harsh to even give a yellow by the sounds of it.

Great stuff by Stephen Kelly and John Galvin as said by a previous poster.
    Even the waterford station seemed to be so highly praised of Galvin and you could tell why when you saw it first-hand.
    Conor Fitz made an great impact when he came on too scoring 3 points.
    11 wides though. And some were just silly wides too. You can't afford 11 wides against one of the best sides in the country. Mickey-ned will have to seriously concentrate on this aspect of the team before the Munster final.

Ah, can't be too pessimistic either. Because even though the ref made some stupid decisions (blowing the whistle for such little things and not allowing the game to flow ffs :rolleyes:), Limerick are deserved of their Munster final place, being the better team on the day.

Oh and I'd like to see us play Cork tbh. Just because the lads will probably feel more confident against them seeing as they've come that close in previous years. Cork obviously won't be any pushovers after what happened 12 months previous either but sure, we'll see who wins the replay and take it from there.

But yea, see ye all the 4th of July :D

(woah.. long post :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

panda100 wrote: »
    I thought that whoever won it would still be in the gaelic grounds?
    I was under this impression also. Good win yesterday and a game we shouldn't even have been contemplating losing. Waterford are a good up and coming side and they will improve from this but this is a Limerick panel which has been together for a while now. A Munster Championship would be sweet.

So its Kerry for the Munster final against our footballers. I'm actually relishing the idea of this match, as we havent played them in the Munster Championship since 2005, and our lads will be well up for it.

Is it definately going to be on in Killarney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Anyone any idea where the Munster Final will be played?

All the Website say TBC (to be confirmed)

Can anyone remember where they played last?

I half remember a replay but cant remember where

If i was to guess the replay was played in Killarney. So if there is a home and away agreement. Limerick would be the venue on the 4th at 2pm on Tv3.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/munster/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement