Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think the hype got to the Limerick players.There was nothing John Allen could do about fellas messing up sideline cuts and frees going all over the shop.Limerick just weren't ready mentally today but John did deliver a munster title!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think he's a better manager than allen, but his style didn't suit us.

He brought Limerick from nothing to being competitive in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

What are you on about John Allen delivered that rarest of things a trophy to Limerick!So are they going to stick the knife into John Allen now?What a crowd of basket cases they won't get a finer manager than John Allen.
    As a Limerickman, I'll be staggered if Allen isn't offered an extension. The Limerick hurling community is as dysfunctional and self-regarding as it gets, but at some stage a defeat has got to be the fault of the players. Manager after manager is pilloried and blamed, but there's not much a manager can do if players endure the sporting equivalent of performance anxiety and are impotent when it really matters.

Limerick bottled it today. That's a hard thing to say when you're talking about an amateur team, but they'll know they never turned up today and will suffer for a while, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

What are you on about John Allen delivered that rarest of things a trophy to Limerick!So are they going to stick the knife into John Allen now?What a crowd of basket cases they won't get a finer manager than John Allen.
    Im a corkman.

And ,im not like you who have insulted them with poor jibes about a book.
    As a cork man,your a bit off with you wont get more of a finer manager than allen.

I have since may,fellow rebel voiced many a concern about allen,and not just jumped on them,there down.

A finer manager than allen.Jbm,cody,sheedy ,are way ahead of allen.

They built their own teams.Allen inherited a team in 05, and coudnt take cork to the next level.

I wouldnt get carried away with munster,all at home,and if horgan hadnt got sent off,no one can say for certain how the game would have ended.

Allen has talents,but tactially weak.Would cork be where we are with allen,instead of Jbm,certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Im a corkman.

And ,im not like you who have insulted them with poor jibes about a book.
    As a cork man,your a bit off with you wont get more of a finer manager than allen.

I have since may,fellow rebel voiced many a concern about allen,and not just jumped on them,there down.

A finer manager than allen.Jbm,cody,sheedy ,are way ahead of allen.

They built their own teams.Allen inherited a team in 05, and coudnt take cork to the next level.

I wouldnt get carried away with munster,all at home,and if horgan hadnt got sent off,no one can say for certain how the game would have ended.

Allen has talents,but tactially weak.Would cork be where we are with allen,instead of Jbm,certainly not.

John Allens record as Cork manager speaks for itself and he delivered a trophy to Limerick.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

John Allens record as Cork manager speaks for itself and he delivered a trophy to Limerick.

Allen got lucky this year, no question about that.

Now, we are all agreed he is a nice chap. But he is was destroyed by davy fitz today.

I think the hype got to the Limerick players.There was nothing John Allen could do about fellas messing up sideline cuts and frees going all over the shop.Limerick just weren't ready mentally today but John did deliver a munster title!

Who are you trying to kid?there was cracks clear as day in that team in their two wins,allen like counihan only knew how to win a game by unloading the bench.He never improved limerick,from may.The warning signs were their in the cork game.

He coudnt get any match ups right.Hannon never was a full forward.

Hickey is not a centre forward.Downes would walk on the cork team,and i know ger cunnigham rates him highly.

Dowling should have started.

Counihan was the same with us,playing our lads out of position,and leaving our best players,on the bench,til the game was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fedman

Thinkstoomuch, you're repeating yourself and boring me at the same time. Do you not have a Cork site that you can bore?

Who are you trying to kid?there was cracks clear as day in that team in their two wins,allen like counihan only knew how to win a game by unloading the bench.He never improved limerick,from may.The warning signs were their in the cork game.

He coudnt get any match ups right.Hannon never was a full forward.

Hickey is not a centre forward.Downes would walk on the cork team,and i know ger cunnigham rates him highly.

Counihan was the same with us,playing our lads out of position,and leaving our best players,on the bench,til the game was over.

That was so obvious it's painful. The selectors don't fill me with confidence either.

Allen got lucky this year, no question about that.

Now, we are all agreed he is a nice chap. But he is was destroyed by davy fitz today.
    One of the nicest around,like my parish priest,that doesnt mean he is a top class manager.

They said today on rte allen was born in Togher in the City.Their wrong,he was born in aghallabouge,coachford aera.

• Advertisement

Fedman wrote: »
    Thinkstoomuch, you're repeating yourself and boring me at the same time. Do you not have a Cork site that you can bore?
    In fairness,im calling it as i saw it.I am entiled to my opinion.

That was so obvious it's painful. The selectors don't fill me with confidence either.
    Downes was excellent when he came on.

Browne was v good.could get an all star.Riche mac,should also.

Hannon wont after today.

It'll be back to munster rugby now,,,no wonder limerick people took to them so much. Such disappointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'm not going to stick the knife into Allen now. The way we performed wasnt up to scratch -maybe that's indicative of poor management. John Allen didn't hit frees wide from in front of the posts or miss a line ball twice. I think not starting Dowling was a mistake.

However- personally feel Allen couldn't win today. If he went man on man and marked the spare Clareman we would have let loads of space at the back and if any goals came from this people would have been "ah sure Allen is useless. You don't change your shape. Don't mind what the opposition do". When he did what he did people are saying he hasn't a clue either.

Now look it, if it was me I'd have probably let three at the back and then go man on man with 20 to go and brought on Downes and gamble but I'm not the Limerick manager. We did change the puck out strategy in the second half and looked for the short puck outs but we just got cleaned out. We just couldn't generate momentum.

Also, the one thing that worries me is that we scored 1 goal in 210 minutes of championship hurling. I suppose our strategy doesn't lead to goalscoring opportunities and our only chance today came from O'Mahoney flaking the ball up the field off the cuff.

Ah I don't know. This is acting as effective group counselling

Browney7 wrote: »
    I'm not going to stick the knife into Allen now. The way we performed wasnt up to scratch -maybe that's indicative of poor management. John Allen didn't hit frees wide from in front of the posts or miss a line ball twice. I think not starting Dowling was a mistake.

However- personally feel Allen couldn't win today. If he went man on man and marked the spare Clareman we would have let loads of space at the back and if any goals came from this people would have been "ah sure Allen is useless. You don't change your shape. Don't mind what the opposition do". When he did what he did people are saying he hasn't a clue either.

Now look it, if it was me I'd have probably let three at the back and then go man on man with 20 to go and brought on Downes and gamble but I'm not the Limerick manager. We did change the puck out strategy in the second half and looked for the short puck outs but we just got cleaned out. We just couldn't generate momentum.

Also, the one thing that worries me is that we scored 1 goal in 210 minutes of championship hurling. I suppose our strategy doesn't lead to goalscoring opportunities and our only chance today came from O'Mahoney flaking the ball up the field off the cuff.

Ah I don't know. This is acting as effective group counselling

I said that in the pub last night,,,,and we never look like scoring them either.

I've no problem with Allen either,, but I'd like him to be more attack minded and start with your best team.

Imagine munster playing and leaving paul o connell on the bench,,,for impact? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I said that in the pub last night,,,,and we never look like scoring them either.

I've no problem with Allen either,, but I'd like him to be more attack minded and start with your best team.

Imagine munster playing and leaving paul o connell on the bench,,,for impact? :rolleyes:

Which subs should be starting?

I assume Dowling (from what I saw today and in the Munster final) but who else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's highly debatable if Dowling is fit enough for intercounty hurling.

And agree with those who said no manager can be blamed for missing schoolboy frees.

Keep Allen on.

Which subs should be starting?

I assume Dowling (from what I saw today and in the Munster final) but who else?

Clearly Dowling,,,,then it's opinion, I'd ahve Downes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Dowling is not fit enough.Very bad fitness for a young lad.Tobin wasn't fit.Downes should have started .Allen didn't take the frees Hannon did and he bottled it

Clearly Dowling,,,,then it's opinion, I'd ahve Downes on.

Geez, wouldnt be too sure at all about Downes from what I have seen of him recently. But then, you are probably more up to speed with his form at the moment than me! Didnt think he was great at all today when he came on.

• Advertisement

Geez, wouldnt be too sure at all about Downes from what I have seen of him recently. But then, you are probably more up to speed with his form at the moment than me! Didnt think he was great at all today when he came on.

He only came on with 6 mins to go. They brought on Allis,,,,that was poor decision making. But I suppose I'm just disappointed the way it all panned out.

He only came on with 6 mins to go. They brought on Allis,,,,that was poor decision making. But I suppose I'm just disappointed the way it all panned out.

I was surprised they didnt bring him on quicker alright. Your full forward line was cleaned by Clare today so I did expect to see him come on sometime sooner. But then was Downes fit enough today????

I was surprised they didnt bring him on quicker alright. Your full forward line was cleaned by Clare today so I did expect to see him come on sometime sooner. But then was Downes fit enough today????[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point.

Allen was critical of Galway management during the week, I thought that was a little naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Was disappointed with Allens decisions or lack of them when Dublin beat them in the league. He is probably a good people man and encourages and gives players confidence. However when things go wrong one needs to act quickly. Can't understand why Hannon continued to take frees when he clearly had an off day. Overall the way to win a match is to put the ball between the posts , Limerick failed and Clare excelled in that area. Six forwards , a stopping half forward line and a two man full forward with one coming back from injury .... not a great recipe for scores.:(

They only took hickey off as it was self enforced,so its quite possible he would have stayed their if he wasn't injured,which meant a whole half went by,without a change.

Dowling reminds me of lehane.A confident type of player ,that needs games to build it.He had more scoring potential than others who had started ahead of him.If faith was put in him,he could have repayed it,as in a difficult position he done quite well with the frees and was unlucky with he's goal chance.
    Their was more in that team,but Limerick were just too predictable and had no plan B.

Clare knew exactly what limerick would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Not as much between Limerick and Clare as people are making out.

Clare took a goal chance and Limerick missed one around the same time.

Limerick also missed some routine frees as Clare tapped theirs over.

That was the difference really, 6-8 points missed in the first half and never really closed the gap.

woo.kash wrote: »

I thought it might be a link for some silver shine spray for the cup that Limerick have actually won this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

True Allen didnt miss the frees, however he did select a free taker who has missed easy frees in the county final last year, in the tipp match and against cork in the final. It was flagged here about a million times by myself and fireball that both Allis and dowling were better options. What happened yesterday was entirely predictable.....the fault is with the management. Dowling is plenty fit for county hurling and has been for months, yes he was unfit earlier in the year but now he's fine.

There needs to be a widening of the squad over the winter, if doon have a CB he should be looked at. Hannon and Dowling at 10,12 next year. Tomas Ryan looks a fine hurler, maybe pick up one or two from the minors, make a decision at 11, and 14.

Glass is half full.

True Allen didnt miss the frees, however he did select a free taker who has missed easy frees in the county final last year, in the tipp match and against cork in the final. It was flagged here about a million times by myself and fireball that both Allis and dowling were better options. What happened yesterday was entirely predictable.....the fault is with the management. Dowling is plenty fit for county hurling and has been for months, yes he was unfit earlier in the year but now he's fine.

There needs to be a widening of the squad over the winter, if doon have a CB he should be looked at. Hannon and Dowling at 10,12 next year. Tomas Ryan looks a fine hurler, maybe pick up one or two from the minors, make a decision at 11, and 14.

Glass is half full.

Yep and Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Galway, Offaly and Tipperary may be in a glass half empty scenario.

In other words ideally Limerick, Clare, Dublin and Cork to dominate the next few years and we will get another few bites out of it over the next few seasons hopefully with this team.

• Advertisement

I think this is 1 that got away, 40 yrs since we last won, I thought we had every chance. Haven't been as disappointed about losing a match in years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement