Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Rightwing wrote: »
    There was only 1 hawkeye, they scrapped it then after that.

nah there was two. One for the point I just said there in 2nd half. Think it was Nash who "scored" it. I was in the hill right behind the goals but evidently my bias kinda made me believe it was a point so, since Browney claimed it was more than likely wide.
    Browney7 wrote: »
    It was wide soccy. Was in 704 in upper Cusack and felt twas clearly wide. Joe quaid beside me said the same and sure you know Goalkeepers would never tell a lie!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Didnt carey and correctly so, question allens preparation up to the tipp game last year and resign over it as a selector.

Carey did resign, he questionned their fitness amongst other things.

nah there was two. One for the point I just said there in 2nd half. Think it was Nash who "scored" it. I was in the hill right behind the goals but evidently my bias kinda made me believe it was a point so, since Browney claimed it was more than likely wide.

My mistake then, I thought they cancelled hawk eye at half time in the minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Box clever

I suppose it's easy for people to talk in hindsight, downed only trained once in 3 weeks was in no way fit to play major part, seanie Tobin was a gamble.

Hannon and mullahs never got going this year, they have way more them. This limerick team are good and getting better but man for man skill wise I don't think they are better than Clare or cork.

Management need to look at themselves and if Clare win AI teams will be copying this style of play, similar to way teams try to copy Donegal. It'll be interesting to see what cork will do. Will people want jbm out if they lose AI?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

jj1 wrote: »
    I think one of David Breens best attributes is his pace with the ball in his hand, he works extremely hard for the team & is definitely willing to sacrifice his game for the team (vs Maher twice, vs Tommy Walsh last year). Also has a lovely strike of the ball/ can take a score. These are all very important assets for a member of the half forward line.

What's not in his favour is the none of the half forward line that started the last day are good at winning primary ball in the air. All 3 work extremely hard, are good defensively against their half back & are good running with the ball. James Ryan excellent at winning dirty aul ball on the ground as well.

I think you nearly have to have one of your half forwards with these attributes & can play with two of these players no problem. However I think ideally you need at a minimum 1 player who can win a few puckouts in the air & 1 who is a regular scoretaker.

Ideally all 3 half forwards would excel at all these aspects of the game but that is rare enough.

Personally I think Downes should start on 1 wing, Dowling at centre forward & Breen/ Ailis/ Ryan the other half forward. Would have Hickey midfield with Dodge or possibly James Ryan midfield with Hickey corner back.

This is obviously not going to happen. However the beauty of the differing opinions is that they are caused by stiff competition within the squad & 18 or 19 players contributing to a win over Tipp.

Roll on Sunday & that Limerick leave absolutely everything out on the field. That's all they can do & hopefully that'll earn them a Munster Championship.
    You didnt have any Great concerns about the lack of scoring power last week in the half forward line.Isn't hindsight great.

It was clear as day ,that limerick wouldnt score enough here.
    clare had a half forward line that won as much ball as limerick,but unlike limerick are natural scorers.

You ,failed ,with all due repect ,to see their was huge,weak spots in this limerick team ,and thought everything was fine.
    I said that the cork game,showed up weakness in limerick and clare would be ready and waiting.

In truth,they could have easily won by more.Limerick never looked at any time,capable of winning the game.

Seriously man, loads of people have said that half forward line wasn't ideal. Plenty of people said Dowling/ Ailis/ Downes should start. There was huge debate about whether Hickey was ideal at half-forward or not. I quoted my post from July after we had beaten Tipp but I am far from the only person who said that.

You are going around like the cat that got the cream cause you were rattling on about John Allen for the last 3 months.

Genuinely if Limerick won yesterday & then lost by a point to Cork you would be on here saying JA cost us an All-Ireland. You've made you're point for 3 months & the stopped clock is finally right today. We get it, you & only you understand hurling. Can you just let it go now til next February & concentrate on a novel AI final between the 2 best teams in the country this year alongside Dublin.

For the record, JA has Limerick playing with unity & managed to win a munster title. Might have my numbers wrong but I think we have won 3 Munster Championship games in the 16 years previous to this. He made plenty of mistakes like we all do. The important thing as afar as I'm concerned is that he learns for them for next year. Possibly get a new selector in just to bring some fresh ideas. (This might sound odd but would Tony Considine be a good foil for him. He mightn't have the interest though.)

Losing a game when you don't perform is the most sickening team because you never find out if you were beaten by a better team or not. I still think the two teams are fairly level but even if Limerick had performed yesterday I think Clare were operating at 100% & wouldn't have been beaten.

Hope Clare can do the business in the final, they have some outstanding Hurlers.

Oh yeah, you cannot leave Tony Kelly floating around the middle of the field in acres of space cause he will do damage & makes Clare tick to a certain extent. This was proven against Waterford in the first round & Cork took note, in the Munster Semi he was kept very quiet. You can be sure Cork plan to do the same again. If they stop him hurling, Clare will need a huge game from John Conlon who has led them for the last few years imo but hasn't hurled to his potential this year because of injuries/ form.

Def longest post on boards, still p1ssed over yesterday I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Box clever wrote: »
    I suppose it's easy for people to talk in hindsight, downed only trained once in 3 weeks was in no way fit to play major part, seanie Tobin was a gamble.

Hannon and mullahs never got going this year, they have way more them. This limerick team are good and getting better but man for man skill wise I don't think they are better than Clare or cork.

Management need to look at themselves and if Clare win AI teams will be copying this style of play, similar to way teams try to copy Donegal. It'll be interesting to see what cork will do. Will people want jbm out if they lose AI?
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I sure didn't and still don't, the half forward line was not the losing of this game. No hindsight in operation, I only mentioned moving Hannon to half forward as that is where he can perform, not at full.

I have pointed out concerns about the half back line and full forward line all year long.

You are a very negative poster.[/quote
    Well that is a shake up in the half foward line is it not?
    And i dont think breen should start either.Not a scoring forward.

Dowling,ryan and hannon,with downes at full forward,with mulchay and tobin be a superb forwards line.
    Ah you have mellowed out a bit i c.

First and foremost ,i respect your posts,sum are good to be fair.But when i justifably raised valid concerns about allen tactically,which were validated yesterday in fairness,you thought i had a witch hunt against him,and said i was speaking BS, And should be ignored.

I wasnt and im not a negative poster,but if something is clearly wrong,i wont sit on the fence,take the easy option but call it as i see it,even if its unpopular.

I dont deserve to be labelled as BS With all due respect.

I agree hickey ,needs to go back at cb,and like i have always said,downes and dowling must start.

But allen,i gurantee you wont start downes.

Tom ryan is a super hurler and surely must come in to the fray.

I wanted ye to win yesterday.

At the end of the day ,Ill agree to disagree with you on allen,but hopefully the next time i have a view that doesnt correlate with yours,you wont dismiss as BS,.

I hope limerick bounce back.

Carey did resign, he questionned their fitness amongst other things.
    No smoke without fire.

How about Allen is kept on, but new selectors. That could be the ideal situation.

Hannon and mullahs never got going this year, they have way more them. This limerick teagm are good and getting better but man for man skill wise I don't think they are better than Clare or cork.

No cause,cork are still building,a team without seven of last year,and overachieved so far.

Whateever happens ,we will get there in time with JBM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

No smoke without fire.

Nonsense, Limerick won Munster for the first time since 2006. Anybody from Limerick would have taken that at the start of the year.

No cause,cork are still building,a team without seven of last year,and overachieved so far.

Whateever happens ,we will get there in time with JBM.

I'm not so sure. This is Cork's year to do it, Same applies to Clare. And the same applied to us and dublin.

Seriously man, loads of people have said that half forward line wasn't ideal. Plenty of people said Dowling/ Ailis/ Downes should start. There was huge debate about whether Hickey was ideal at half-forward or not. I quoted my post from July after we had beaten Tipp but I am far from the only person who said that.

You are going around like the cat that got the cream cause you were rattling on about John Allen for the last 3 months.

Genuinely if Limerick won yesterday & then lost by a point to Cork you would be on here saying JA cost us an All-Ireland. You've made you're point for 3 months & the stopped clock is finally right today. We get it, you & only you understand hurling. Can you just let it go now til next February & concentrate on a novel AI final between the 2 best teams in the country this year alongside Dublin.

For the record, JA has Limerick playing with unity & managed to win a munster title. Might have my numbers wrong but I think we have won 3 Munster Championship games in the 16 years previous to this. He made plenty of mistakes like we all do. The important thing as afar as I'm concerned is that he learns for them for next year. Possibly get a new selector in just to bring some fresh ideas. (This might sound odd but would Tony Considine be a good foil for him. He mightn't have the interest though.)

Losing a game when you don't perform is the most sickening team because you never find out if you were beaten by a better team or not. I still think the two teams are fairly level but even if Limerick had performed yesterday I think Clare were operating at 100% & wouldn't have been beaten.

Hope Clare can do the business in the final, they have some outstanding Hurlers.

Oh yeah, you cannot leave Tony Kelly floating around the middle of the field in acres of space cause he will do damage & makes Clare tick to a certain extent. This was proven against Waterford in the first round & Cork took note, in the Munster Semi he was kept very quiet. You can be sure Cork plan to do the same again. If they stop him hurling, Clare will need a huge game from John Conlon who has led them for the last few years imo but hasn't hurled to his potential this year because of injuries/ form.

Def longest post on boards, still p1ssed over yesterday I suppose.

Fair enough,all my point was,i doubted allen and the hype with him.People said i had an agenda against him.

Not at all.I just had doubts and concerns,which im entiled to an opinion.
    I wont say anymore on it here.

Clare will be very hard for cork to beat twice and could be beaten,but we could win.

Cork are stonger than june,but so are clare and they have guys that played in three all irelands at underage,they will be a serious threat.

Would ye go for ger cunnigham Ul?

I'm not so sure. This is Cork's year to do it, Same applies to Clare. And the same applied to us and dublin.

The average age of both teams is young,cork will have paudie sul,possibly aidan walsh with colm spillane at full back.

Hes had injuries for a while.Clare will be a serious force win or loose.

The average age of both teams is young,cork will have paudie sul,possibly aidan walsh with colm spillane at full back.

Hes had injuries for a while.Clare will be a serious force win or loose.

Next year will be extremely competitive.

KK & Tipp won't be as bad. Neither will Galway. Then throw in young and improving teams like Cork/Clare/Dublin/Limk/Waterford.

Next year will be extremely competitive.

KK & Tipp won't be as bad. Neither will Galway. Then throw in young and improving teams like Cork/Clare/Dublin/Limk/Waterford.
    Id agree.
    A lot depends on who gets the waterford job,and will daly stay with dublin.

The draw in october for munster i cnt wait.It could be very competitve next year.

Kilkenny are the team to beat next season.They will be back.

Id agree.
    A lot depends on who gets the waterford job,and will daly stay with dublin.

The draw in october for munster i cnt wait.It could be very competitve next year.

Kilkenny are the team to beat next season.They will be back.

That's why I'm gutted about this one.

This was the year to do it, but best of luck to the 2 teams remaining, I just hope neither freezes on the big day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

That's why I'm gutted about this one.

This was the year to do it, but best of luck to the 2 teams remaining, I just hope neither freezes on the big day.

Have you ever seen a Cork team freeze in Croker?
    And, this Clare outfit, doesn't look like they have the freeze gene in their make up. They just seem to enjoy their hurling, and it's enjoyable to watch.

Makings of a belter of a final I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Fair enough,all my point was,i doubted allen and the hype with him.People said i had an agenda against him.

Not at all.I just had doubts and concerns,which im entiled to an opinion.
    I wont say anymore on it here.

Clare will be very hard for cork to beat twice and could be beaten,but we could win.

Cork are stonger than june,but so are clare and they have guys that played in three all irelands at underage,they will be a serious threat.

Would ye go for ger cunnigham Ul?

I think it'll be an excellent final. Lots of great hurlers on the field. Agree with you that it'll be hard to beat a team twice but I think Cork had the right tactic against Clare the last day. I know they gave up goal chances but that is better than getting beaten by lads popping over points out the field all day which I think is one of Clare's strongest points. Going back as far as the game against Waterford they have been creating lots of scoring chances.

I hope the hurling season gets a classic final to top off the this Championship.

Ger Cunningham has a reputation as an excellent coach. I think he would be an addition to any county setup but I'm not certain a new coach is what's required. I think a selector who has intercounty experience might be a better addition to the setup.

I think it'll be an excellent final. Lots of great hurlers on the field. Agree with you that it'll be hard to beat a team twice but I think Cork had the right tactic against Clare the last day. I know they gave up goal chances but that is better than getting beaten by lads popping over points out the field all day which I think is one of Clare's strongest points. Going back as far as the game against Waterford they have been creating lots of scoring chances.

I hope the hurling season gets a classic final to top off the this Championship.

Ger Cunningham has a reputation as an excellent coach. I think he would be an addition to any county setup but I'm not certain a new coach is what's required. I think a selector who has intercounty experience might be a better addition to the setup.

Patsy morrisey of newtown? was involved with ul,and highly regared with cork in 04 etc. and worked with allen before.
    yeah it will be a contrast in styles and a classic.

Cork will go man for man,move the ball at pace,width,low fast ball with every forward,interchanging and moving about.

Clare have savage pace,great hurling,but will play with seven men in defence.

Clare have the forwards to go toe to toe with cork,but wont do dublin in it,the key to beat cork is a slow,dogfight,no tempo and close down space.

Clare have kelly and galvin that can slot them over from the half way.

They have a system that does work,but if they cut out the loose passes be awesome.

Harnedy has the unkown and suprise factor gone now,and clare will be ready .
    Hes on form,3 goals last night for ucc i saw on the paper today.

Jack aherne yere man,got a goal too.

Harnedy could go in full forward,and mclirney and himself will be sum battle.

Our biggest problem is who marks honan.In three games he caused us endless problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Can't believe the negativity towards a manager who delivered some much needed silverware, to put the whole blame on manager is ridiculous. What limerick lacked most of all is confidence, the occasion completely got to them, I don't know how you train that.

Thinkstoomuch who would you have as a realistic manager if Allen goes?

there is only one logical answer to your question, anthony daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

limerick had five weeks to suss out clares game plan, they did not even try, thats three times clare have used the same tactics, they will have to have something up their sleeve as cork has always been tactically astute.

Fred sheedy kilworth,well known in limerick and a selector with Jbm,in 96,97,98,99 and also worked with o grady in 03,is highly rated as a selector.

Very much hes own man but works great as part of a team in the background and good man to read a game.Hed be a good selector,and allen worked with him before.

He know limerick well being a kilworth man,the same with patsy morrisey.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

Patsy morrisey of newtown? was involved with ul,and highly regared with cork in 04 etc. and worked with allen before.
    yeah it will be a contrast in styles and a classic.

Did Morrissey not blot his copybook in Cork in 2006 with Pat Mulcahy being kept on the team ahead of Wayne Sherlock, or have I got it all mixed up?

Formosa wrote: »
    Did Morrissey not blot his copybook in Cork in 2006 with Pat Mulcahy being kept on the team ahead of Wayne Sherlock, or have I got it all mixed up?

No not at all.A lot of the cork players wanted cunnigham or patsy to be the next manager.Patsy won avondu a county in 96,and newtown the all ireland in 2003.

Hes known as a radical thinker of the game.

Id say mulchay starting was more to do with he had won an all star in 05 and was captain,and allen wasnt brave enough to drop the captain from the start,nothing to do with newtown.

If morrisey had a huge influence Naughton wouldnt have waited an hour to come on when the game was over.Naughton back then was actually good enough,as he was unkown.

I agree mulchay shoudnt have started,nor should he have been left on for 50 minutes ,sherlock came on when fogarty had roasted pat mul for 1-3 and was lucky not to be sent off as he was on a yellow.

Mulchay was poor in all of 2006,but the warning signs were ignored.

Morrisey i'm not if hes still with ul,but has a good knowlege of the limerick set up,being so close to the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think people are reading too much into John Allen and his tactics. The first 15 mins yesterday it was chance for chance for both sides with limerick even on top with chances created. The simple fact was Clare were lethal where as limerick were awful. The game could easily have been level but limerick found themselves six points down and they never recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

I think people are reading too much into John Allen and his tactics.

One guy is anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I see on twitter that the minors result will be appealed. Was at both games yesterday and as a neutral (Waterford), yer minors should have won well but had some bad shot decisions for all their possession.

As for the senior, they seemed nervous and heavy legged. They didn't have a plan and didn't seem to know what Clare were up to either on the pitch or the line. I think the hype got to the players and the thing of releasing songs before the semi was daft. However, if ye were offered a Munster title last January, i think that would be seemed to be a success. There's not that much between Clare and Limerick, its just on the given day, one side performed while the other didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

chinguetti wrote: »
    I see on twitter that the minors result will be appealed. Was at both games yesterday and as a neutral (Waterford), yer minors should have won well but had some bad shot decisions for all their possession.

As for the senior, they seemed nervous and heavy legged. They didn't have a plan and didn't seem to know what Clare were up to either on the pitch or the line. I think the hype got to the players and the thing of releasing songs before the semi was daft. However, if ye were offered a Munster title last January, i think that would be seemed to be a success. There's not that much between Clare and Limerick, its just on the given day, one side performed while the other didn't.

How can it be appealed though. Isn't extra time technically a new game. It would be very harsh on Galway to replay it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

chinguetti wrote: »

Surprised by this after hearing the Limerick manager's interview after the game. He said Galway were the better team and wished them well in the final. In fairness, if Limerick were good enough to beat Galway they would have done it in extra-time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement