Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well i read it off one of the GAA accounts i follow on twitter so i'm guessing its the county board that is making the appeal.

It will be interesting to see what the GAA does with this and how Galway react if this does go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well i read it off one of the GAA accounts i follow on twitter so i'm guessing its the county board that is making the appeal.

It will be interesting to see what the GAA does with this and how Galway react if this does go ahead.

By the way, who is the Limerick minor manager? I get the sense that they are a very well managed team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

By the way, who is the Limerick minor manager? I get the sense that they are a very well managed team.

Brian Ryan is his name and I don;t think he wants to appeal. http://www.hoganstand.com/Limerick/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198985

However the county board are meeting tonight at 8.30pm to discuss the possibility of an appeal http://www.thescore.ie/limerick-hurling-replay-appeal-hawk-eye-1044626-Aug2013/

Don;t think that neccesarily means they will appeal it though.

Personally, I don;t think they have grounds for appeal. Yes, technically they might as this is a first time scenario but I think RTE were really blowing it up yesterday as they would just love to get a bit more mileage out of this story.

We've all had decisions go for and against us, but it would be ridiculous if we all went looking for replays after. Would we ever have a result in a match? The fact is that the point was scored after 30 seconds, we have no way of knowing whether it would have changed the result in any way. Limerick still had the opportunity to win the game, they weren't unfairly denied that.

And as I said if it was the case of no hawkeye and it being obvious on tv replays having been signalled wide, would they be getting a replay? No. If it was a dodgy penalty and a goal that drew it, would they get a replay? No. Just because it's a technology error as opposed to human error does not change the fact that in any game decisions will go for and against you. This is just another example of this.

I do commend Ryan though being so gracious in defeat immediately after the event. And also commiserations to Limerick fans on yesterday, was a tough day but a good year all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't know what Ryan was talking about. 'Galway were the better team in 60 minutes'

They were in their arse, it ended in a draw and we missed a load of chances :rolleyes:

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't know what Ryan was talking about. 'Galway were the better team in 60 minutes'

They were in their arse, it ended in a draw and we missed a load of chances :rolleyes:

ANd Galway didnt miss as many chances which is what made them the better team :confused:

Missing chances does not make you a better team. It makes you a worse team.

• Advertisement

ANd Galway didnt miss as many chances which is what made them the better team :confused:

Missing chances does not make you a better team. It makes you a worse team.

Nonsense. The teams were very even in the 60 minutes.

Galway were the better team in extra time, no question about that.

Nonsense. The teams were very even in the 60 minutes.

Galway were the better team in extra time, no question about that.

ok sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were referring to 60 minutes + extra time.

But it drives me insane when people say "We were the better side, look at all the chances we had and if we put them over, we would have won". Its the worst argument in the world and the most common one you hear in GAA. If you are good enough, you put those chances away - thats what makes you the better team!

ok sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were referring to 60 minutes + extra time.

But it drives me insane when people say "We were the better side, look at all the chances we had and if we put them over, we would have won". Its the worst argument in the world and the most common one you hear in GAA. If you are good enough, you put those chances away - thats what makes you the better team!

I agree, I'd have liked the match to go to a replay, but not now, Galway won fair and square in extra time. We tired visibly in the last few minutes.

I thought it was a very stupid remark from the manager to state Galway were the better team in the 60 minutes. If he had just said extra time, I'd have agreed with him.

I agree, I'd have liked the match to go to a replay, but not now, Galway won fair and square in extra time. We tired visibly in the last few minutes.

I thought it was a very stupid remark from the manager to state Galway were the better team in the 60 minutes. If he had just said extra time, I'd have agreed with him.

Still dont know why it went to extra time. An AI semi final should be going to a replay. If the senior was a draw, would it have gone to a replay? I am sure it would have. Why should minor be any different?

Still dont know why it went to extra time. An AI semi final should be going to a replay. I the senior was a draw, would it have gone to a replay? I am sure it would have. Why should minor be any different?

Completely agree, only thing I can think of is they wanted the hurling wrapped up until the AI. The munster final was replayed, it just makes no sense.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I wish we didn't to be honest. We'd 60 minutes after to score more than Galway and we didn't do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Galway offer it though at the same time. Mattie Murphy seems a decent fella

Browney7 wrote: »
    I wish we didn't to be honest. We'd 60 minutes after to score more than Galway and we didn't do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Galway offer it though at the same time. Mattie Murphy seems a decent fella

If we won it, I'd have to say I'd be very disappointed for Galway. We should take our beating. But that minor team are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Bad form. Puts galway into a no win situation.
    If limerick appeal wins, galway should appeal the last minute free:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Why? The free was a free.

The Galway half back line in particular also got away with ridiculous fouling for most of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

What nonsense !!! The appeal is based on what was an incorrect result after 60 mins . Fact Limerick scored one point more than Galway and the match was called a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

shawnee wrote: »
    What nonsense !!! The appeal is based on what was an incorrect result after 60 mins . Fact Limerick scored one point more than Galway and the match was called a draw.

The ref played at least 30 seconds too many in normal time to give limerick a chance to equalise if limerick had had the disallowed point then he would have blown up 30 seconds earlier twould still have been a draw and extra time would been played and same result

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

tbh i think its just silly appealing. as someone said, the ref did play too much extra time anyways, it was way over the minute when he called the free at the end. thats maybe why he gave a soft free (i didnt see it cause i was at the opposite end but many people are calling it soft) so as to stop the hawkeye controversy cause had they lost by a point in the end, there'd probably have been riots or something, who knows.. ><

now the galway team are just waiting anxiously wondering what the hell is gonna happen and imo, it'd be so unfair to give a replay cause loadsa problems like points being called wides and wides being called points happen in games and just unfair decisions in general. it happens. just leave it rest. and its unfair on the young lads too, either getting their hopes or left having galway just wait it out. its not galways fault we couldnt shake them off.

like tbh, i dont think much will become of it, i dunno, but i hope it doesnt. we've had a good year winning munster.
    Limerick probably are just doing it out of respect for the players and stuff. like a few of them were asking about the grounds for appeal but this was straight after the match and with minors, theyd be saying anything on those social network sites (in the heat of the moment) without thinking.

i can understand the anger and frustration (trust me, sunday evening, i was probably up there with the worst of it) but things are slightly cooling down now. LET IT BE COUNTY BOARD. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Why? The free was a free.

The Galway half back line in particular also got away with ridiculous fouling for most of the game.

Take off those green tinted glasses, your own fullback line were no angels either.
    tbh i think its just silly appealing. as someone said, the ref did play too much extra time anyways, it was way over the minute when he called the free at the end.

There is no grounds to appeal on a score being allowed/disallowed or the amount of time played. Rule 7.3 (gg) (edited for emphasis)
    No decision made on foot of any Hearing shall affect the validity of any decision of the Referee with regard to the
    allowance or disallowance of a score
    or award of any free
    or the playing time allowed,
    or the validity of any Suspension served prior to the Hearing.

So Limerick can't appear the score being valid/invalid and Galway can't appeal the equalising free or the playing time allowed.
    thats maybe why he gave a soft free
    (i didnt see it cause i was at the opposite end but many people are calling it soft)

In the context of what the ref let both teams away with - there were far more obvious frees than this let off and if we had the ref form the previous semi final there'd have been 3 each off - it was the softest free all day.

It's a pity really to see this being the main talking point of the game and not that Limerick were so wasteful - they failed to score with more than half their attempts at goal - they should have won the match twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

antoobrien wrote: »

There is no grounds to appeal on a score being allowed/disallowed or the amount of time played. Rule 7.3 (gg) (edited for emphasis)

So Limerick can't appear the score being valid/invalid and Galway can't appeal the equalising free or the playing time allowed.

In the context of what the ref let both teams away with - there were far more obvious frees than this let off and if we had the ref form the previous semi final there'd have been 3 each off - it was the softest free all day.

It's a pity really to see this being the main talking point of the game and not that Limerick were so wasteful - they failed to score with more than half their attempts at goal - they should have won the match twice.

I assume those rules were reactionary to Offaly v Clare 98 when Cooney blew up early?

I'm pretty sure Limerick actually asked could they launch an appeal. I think if they are to get a replay Galway will probably have to offer it though.

Not sure exactly what point your trying to make about if the referee had been the one from the Waterford v Kilkenny match there would have been 3 sent off...Hourigan is a shocking ref and his red card decisions and whistle happy approach have taken plenty of criticism in the past 13 days. Also, he's from Limerick so I reckon he would have sent off 10 Galway men instead :P

And finally, I'm annoyed we are talking about this appeal but I don't think it's a pity people aren't bitching about minors hitting wides. Sour enough post.

• Advertisement

A brief history of our tale of croke park woe: :mad:

Much of the pre-match publicity centred on the fact that Limerick had strong claims to a first All-Ireland senior hurling since 1973, especially with big hitters Kilkenny and Tipperary out of the way.

More to the point, it would have been their second in 73 years, their previous victory again recorded as far back as 1940, a statistic, which hardly merits “‘strong hurling power” status.

Record books show that Croke Park has not been kind to Limerick.

A year after Eamonn Grimes and his team had surprised Kilkenny in the ’73 decider, their first final appearance since 1940, the Cats gained revenge.

Since then, it has been all downhill.

In 1980, they opened the door for success-starved Galway to bridge a 57-year gap. As Munster champions, Limerick went straight through to the decider that season.

In 1981, they again met Galway at headquarters, in the semi-finals, and were beaten in a replay.

Limerick had to wait 13 years for their next big day at Croke Park, losing to Offaly in what is written into the history books as the five- minute final. With the Limerick multitude awaiting the handing over of the trophy, they led by five points, Offaly put in a sensational rally to score 2-5 and claim victory. To rub salt into wounds, Eamonn Cregan, one of the stars of the 1973 triumph, plotted Offaly’s success.

Two years later, Tom Ryan brought them back to Croker. Antrim were brushed aside, More seasoned Wexford were next up.

Even though their opponents had a player sent off early in the game, Limerick returned home bridesmaids.

Next appearance in Dublin was against Kilkenny, in the 2005 quarter-finals. Again, no joy. In 2007, Richie Bennis, like Tom Ryan, a member of the 1973 team, took Limerick to final day only for Brian Cody and his men to put a halt to their gallop.

If there was any consolation that season, it was that the Croke Park hoodoo against so-called equal hurling powers was temporarily halted with wins over Clare and Waterford in the qualifiers.

Back to the same old story in 2009, when after winning through to the semi-finals, via the backdoor system, they were hammered by Tipperary in Dublin.

Having claimed the scalps of hurling powers Tipperary and Cork on their home patch this season, and with both Tipperary and Kilkenny out of the frame, Limerick had reason to have hopes raised of an end to their great famine.

Caught up in their own hype, they lost the plot to Clare. Reared on a diet of failure on big match occasions, Limerick and their fans, as had so often happened in the past, swallowed the pre-match hype while Clare, waiting in the long grass, went about their business.

It’s not just the seniors. Limerick has claimed just three All-Ireland MHC, the last, in 1984 Centenary Year, won in Thurles.

Their Croke Park successes were in 1940 and 1958.

In the 2005 final, they surrendered to Galway in, wait for it, Croke Park and lost to the same opponents in last weekend’s semi- finals.

The county’s tale of woe does not end there.

Limerick have yet to win an All-Ireland Club SHC, beaten finalists on three occasions at Croke Park.

In 1990, Ballybrown went under to Ballyhale Shamrocks, one year later, Patrickswell lost out to Glanmore, and in ’93, Kilmallock suffered the same fate at the hands of Sarsfields of Galway. 20 years on, and they remain out in the cold.

Yes, Limerick are in the record books for four All-Ireland U21 hurling titles, all, it should be mentioned, won at provincial venues.

Lady luck has definitely not been on Limerick’s side when it comes to the national stage. The county has produced outstanding teams and individuals over the decades, their fans are the most loyal in the land, with no shortage of dedicated officials behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I assume those rules were reactionary to Offaly v Clare 98 when Cooney blew up early?

Nope, valid appeal as 70 minutes not played.
    And finally, I'm annoyed we are talking about this appeal but I don't think it's a pity people aren't bitching about minors hitting wides. Sour enough post.

Limerick had 15-20 more shots at goal than Galway over the 60 minutes and you're calling me sour for pointing out that Limerick should have won that match twice regardless of something that happened in the first minute?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Much of the pre-match publicity centred on the fact that Limerick had strong claims to a first All-Ireland senior hurling since 1973, especially with big hitters Kilkenny and Tipperary out of the way.

More to the point, it would have been their second in 73 years, their previous victory again recorded as far back as 1940, a statistic, which hardly merits “‘strong hurling power” status.

A year after Eamonn Grimes and his team had surprised Kilkenny in the ’73 decider, their first final appearance since 1940, the Cats gained revenge.

In 1980, they opened the door for success-starved Galway to bridge a 57-year gap. As Munster champions, Limerick went straight through to the decider that season.

In 1981, they again met Galway at headquarters, in the semi-finals, and were beaten in a replay.

Limerick had to wait 13 years for their next big day at Croke Park, losing to Offaly in what is written into the history books as the five- minute final. With the Limerick multitude awaiting the handing over of the trophy, they led by five points, Offaly put in a sensational rally to score 2-5 and claim victory. To rub salt into wounds, Eamonn Cregan, one of the stars of the 1973 triumph, plotted Offaly’s success.

Two years later, Tom Ryan brought them back to Croker. Antrim were brushed aside, More seasoned Wexford were next up.

Even though their opponents had a player sent off early in the game, Limerick returned home bridesmaids.

Next appearance in Dublin was against Kilkenny, in the 2005 quarter-finals. Again, no joy. In 2007, Richie Bennis, like Tom Ryan, a member of the 1973 team, took Limerick to final day only for Brian Cody and his men to put a halt to their gallop.

If there was any consolation that season, it was that the Croke Park hoodoo against so-called equal hurling powers was temporarily halted with wins over Clare and Waterford in the qualifiers.

Back to the same old story in 2009, when after winning through to the semi-finals, via the backdoor system, they were hammered by Tipperary in Dublin.

Having claimed the scalps of hurling powers Tipperary and Cork on their home patch this season, and with both Tipperary and Kilkenny out of the frame, Limerick had reason to have hopes raised of an end to their great famine.

Caught up in their own hype, they lost the plot to Clare. Reared on a diet of failure on big match occasions, Limerick and their fans, as had so often happened in the past, swallowed the pre-match hype while Clare, waiting in the long grass, went about their business.

It’s not just the seniors. Limerick has claimed just three All-Ireland MHC, the last, in 1984 Centenary Year, won in Thurles.

In the 2005 final, they surrendered to Galway in, wait for it, Croke Park and lost to the same opponents in last weekend’s semi- finals.

Limerick have yet to win an All-Ireland Club SHC, beaten finalists on three occasions at Croke Park.

In 1990, Ballybrown went under to Ballyhale Shamrocks, one year later, Patrickswell lost out to Glanmore, and in ’93, Kilmallock suffered the same fate at the hands of Sarsfields of Galway. 20 years on, and they remain out in the cold.

Yes, Limerick are in the record books for four All-Ireland U21 hurling titles, all, it should be mentioned, won at provincial venues.

Lady luck has definitely not been on Limerick’s side when it comes to the national stage. The county has produced outstanding teams and individuals over the decades, their fans are the most loyal in the land, with no shortage of dedicated officials behind the scenes.

I dont see any point in posting this, its contributing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

according to twitter and the media, scans show hickey has a cruciate ligament injury after sundays match. some are saying that it could be up to 9 months or so before hes back at all.. well fcuk. some blow after sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Thats tough for the lad given his previous injuries, best of luck.

Murroe unlucky to be in the relegation battle too, who did they get?

Garrys v Granagh

Effin v bruee

not sure of other 2 matches

Anyway, i plan to see a few club games before the year is out cant end the season on sunday, would just leave a bad taste. Would like to see Doon at some point, just to see if they have the players to step up.

Ideally would like to see kil or Na P win just so they have a real go off the munster c'ship, any other winner would prob just go on the lash for a week/be too inexperienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

You forgot the defeat to Wexford, was it 01 or 02 I think, in the quarter final I think.

So many defeats its hard to remember them all.

relaxed wrote: »
    You forgot the defeat to Wexford, was it 01 or 02 I think, in the quarter final I think.

So many defeats its hard to remember them all.

I didn't write that, was from the examiner. Just shows how psychological aspect comes into sport. I was hoping Allen would have been able for it.

Anyway, the disappointment is easing a bit, and overall it was a good hurling year for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brennyjnr

Didnt carey and correctly so, question allens preparation up to the tipp game last year and resign over it as a selector.

You've a point but it has to be remembered that Carey was suffering from 'personal problems', the same ones that the poor man often has and this is one of the main reasons why he left.

There's no getting around it though, there's fitness questions about several of our key attackers, Dowling more than any other. Allen's way of dealing with it was to start with the fittest fellas and bring the more dangerous guys on late in the game. I don't know if Allen is to blame here, looking at Dowling I get the impression that he might just have a very big frame and find the modern game a bit tough. Tis a pity, he's some player.

I want Allen to stay but if ever we win the Munster again we'll have to adopt the Kilkenny approach, ie Get the A team to play the B team every week in super intense matches and let the axe fall on anyone who doesn't show up no matter what their name is. All provincial winners are going to be hampered in future in contrast to the back-door teams unless they take the Kilkenny approach. The hardest games that the 2007-2008 Kilkenny teams played were the A vs B games and it was the reason why they were like inhuman robots.

Brennyjnr wrote: »
    The hardest games that the 2007-2008 Kilkenny teams played were the A vs B games and it was the reason why they were like inhuman robots.

That is something that has been repeated ad nauseum and is really just silly and not true.

• Advertisement

As I said, the free was a free, not "soft". Lynch had the hurley pulled out of his hand. The ref was terrible for the whole game and missed a lot of frees that led to scrappy forward play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement