Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

according to twitter and the media, scans show hickey has a cruciate ligament injury after sundays match. some are saying that it could be up to 9 months or so before hes back at all.. well fcuk. some blow after sunday.

That curse of the cruciate again.I wish him the best.We know two well about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Brennyjnr wrote: »
    The hardest games that the 2007-2008 Kilkenny teams played were the A vs B games and it was the reason why they were like inhuman robots.

This is often spouted in pubs late at night which just goes to show that it's baseless silly nonsense.
    Where were these 'great' B team players when Shefflin and Fennelly were injured this year and 2 or 3 more had a dip in form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

When will we find out about the minor?

I'd like to go to another game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I think there's a meeting tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well........

Haven't posted since the game... that was painful. It hurt... a lot.

Like, the last 48 hours I couldn't even bear thinking about any sort of GAA, didn't watch the Sunday Game, the news, haven't read a paper, avoided all news sites, all GAA forums... because that was awful. It's hard to avoid though, and then you'd get a flashback and it would just all come flooding back. Seriously like, everything just went wrong. In other circumstances, it mightn't have been as bad, but just the way things panned out makes it very hard to take.

First of all, we didn't turn up. Some of the players looked really nervous, their touch was off in the opening minutes, hitting stupid wides, giving away stupid frees, etc. It was very noticeable.

Then, tactically, we were a disaster too. Hitting balls to Pa Donnellan for 70 minutes isn't a valid tactic imo. And surely Hannon should have been taken off frees after he missed 2, we saw with Paul Ryan how big an effect it can have. Lumping long hopeful balls down wasn't working, we needed to change things up, run at the space, having men on the shoulder, ready to offload, before hitting the ball into actual space, rather than to someone marked by 2 men. The movement of our forwards was poor enough tbqh.

Now, I don't want to be overly critical of the players, God knows they've given us a good summer up till now, fair play to them. But realistically, Hannon hasn't played well since the league. Now, he's scored some great points in previous games but in general, hasn't been anywhere near his best. Maybe he's burnt out, he's a young player, he's had an extra long season with getting to the Fitzgibbon Cup final and there's been a reliance on him for years, and he's not even 21 yet. I know other players were involved in that too (Conlon, Lehane, O'Farrell, etc) but none of them have really set the world alight until recently either. I don't know...he's looked a bit sluggish in the Championship, and yesterday he looked extremely nervous aswell.

Mulcahy was a bit better yesterday, burned McInerney early on, if he had scored that goal, maybe it would have been different (great save btw, fair play to Kelly). Breen did some good work early on (although Bugler was visibly fouling him at every puckout), the full-back line was mostly good. Downes & Dowling both looked lively on introduction and GOM and POB both did good things.

I thought our standout player was Paul Browne, who was, along with Dowling, the only player who seemed to be getting on the ball, using it properly and intelligently, basically leading the way in implementing a gameplan that might give us a chance of winning. He scored 0-2 from play, was one of the players winning dirty ball and his work rate was immense. Probably his best performance in a Limerick jersey in a couple of years, rose to the occassion, fair play to him. Gets a lot of criticism, but he did very well.

Looking at why we lost, there were lots of little things. If we had scored our frees, we would have been in touch, and if we had only been 2 or 3 points down at half-time, maybe we would have had a chance. We wouldn't have had to be going for goals anyway. Now, we wouldn't have deserved to win...because we didn't play well, but nevertheless, it could have happened. Because those frees were bad misses tbf.

The goal was a bit of a freak one, and came at a bad time, but still, they got the chance and took it.

Don't think you can underestimate the loss of Hickey. Not seeing we would have won with him, but he's been a key player all year, he's a ferocious worker and defensively helps a lot... Kelly ran riot and I said before that Hickey should have been detailed to mark him. Absolutely sickening to see him go off :( A cruciate injury is horrible, I hope he's back as soon as possible, best wishes to him.

Brings me to my main complaint though...which is how easily Clare were scoring. We knew that Collins, Galvin, Kelly and Ryan were good at finding space...so why did we let it happen so easily?? Why were our attempts at tackles so poor? Why did we gave away so many soft frees? It's not been like us for most of the year.... I don't know the answers tbh, but they killed us with scores from out the field because the pressure wasn't good enough. And that's what we've been basing our gameplan on all year.

I dunno... this is another extremely long post, but I'm just pouring out everything that's been bottled up for the last couple of days. It still hurts an awful lot. At the final whistle, I went right up to the edge of the Upper Cusack and looked down, and you could see the disappointment in the players, they were as gutted as all the fans. It's sickening to go out in that fashion, especially after all the hope. But we are better than that. Play that game again and I have no doubt that we could come out on top. Pretty much everything went wrong, and we froze. And horrible for the minors too, to have all our ambitions wiped out in a couple of hours is bad....because whatever about the seniors, I thought the minors would definitely win. And they were good enough on the day to do it too.

Oh well.....

Browney7 wrote: »
    It was wide soccy. Was in 704 in upper Cusack and felt twas clearly wide. Joe quaid beside me said the same and sure you know Goalkeepers would never tell a lie!!!

I must have been near you, was in same section, and I think I saw Quaid in the row in front of me. And yes, that point was definitely wide.

• Advertisement

Galway have refused to offer the replay, so I think we can take it, that that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

It shouldn't be down to the team to offer a replay, surely one of the committees in the GAA can make a decision one way or the other. What are they being paid for, hiding under the table hoping it will go away.

Its crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

GS11 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be down to the team to offer a replay, surely one of the committees in the GAA can make a decision one way or the other. What are they being paid for, hiding under the table hoping it will go away.

Its crazy.

What are who being paid for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lapin wrote: »
    What are who being paid for ?

Croke Park :D I think some people actually believe there is some sort of mythical character up in a big office in Dublin and he's name is Croke Park, oh yeah and he gets a massive wage from all the ticket money too!!

Besides the fact of us not playing well the last day..... we do have to remember it has been a good year for us. Okay, it's horrible to lose like that, and considering the way the year panned out, we have a team that was capable of winning an All-Ireland. I have no doubts about that.

But nevertheless, at the outset, I don't think many would have thought we would have won the Munster title. I said before the Munster final that I would rather win that and lose in the semi-final than lose the Munster final, and get to an All-Ireland final and then lose (as we did in 07). Obviously, it's a bit of a stupid comparison and it's not like those two things are directly competing but the point is, we needed some silverware. We got it.

I'm not for accepting second best or any shít like that, last Sunday was one of the most gutting days I can remember. Worse than 2009, because at least we weren't expected to do much then (although the actual manner was horrific). But the GAA is all about those good days, and on balance, we have had a good summer. The most important thing is that we use this as a stepping stone... we are the Munster champions, Clare and Cork are contesting an All-Ireland final... Dublin were the other semi-finalists, we know we are on a similar level to them. Now it is up to us to step up a level, and kick on. Try and gain promotion from Division 2...let our tactics evolve, try and regain Munster, and give the All-Ireland another shot.

I think John Allen should stay, what he has done this year is beyond what any manager since Tom Ryan has done. Hopefully Dodge wants to give another year too.

These players gave everything for the team, they've made us proud... hopefully they'll be back next year!

• Advertisement

Also, Doon for the county championship? Nice odds @ 8/1 imo.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Besides the fact of us not playing well the last day..... we do have to remember it has been a good year for us. Okay, it's horrible to lose like that, and considering the way the year panned out, we have a team that was capable of winning an All-Ireland. I have no doubts about that.

But nevertheless, at the outset, I don't think many would have thought we would have won the Munster title. I said before the Munster final that I would rather win that and lose in the semi-final than lose the Munster final, and get to an All-Ireland final and then lose (as we did in 07). Obviously, it's a bit of a stupid comparison and it's not like those two things are directly competing but the point is, we needed some silverware. We got it.

I'm not for accepting second best or any shít like that, last Sunday was one of the most gutting days I can remember. Worse than 2009, because at least we weren't expected to do much then (although the actual manner was horrific). But the GAA is all about those good days, and on balance, we have had a good summer. The most important thing is that we use this as a stepping stone... we are the Munster champions, Clare and Cork are contesting an All-Ireland final... Dublin were the other semi-finalists, we know we are on a similar level to them. Now it is up to us to step up a level, and kick on. Try and gain promotion from Division 2...let our tactics evolve, try and regain Munster, and give the All-Ireland another shot.

I think John Allen should stay, what he has done this year is beyond what any manager since Tom Ryan has done. Hopefully Dodge wants to give another year too.

These players gave everything for the team, they've made us proud... hopefully they'll be back next year!

No question about that. They brought hurling back into the limelight. I'd like a new selector to be added, they appeared naive and lost on the sidelines.

Rightwing wrote: »
    No question about that. They brought hurling back into the limelight. I'd like a new selector to be added, they appeared naive and lost on the sidelines.

Wouldn't disagree with that. Although I have no idea who that possibly may be.

My own club played them in a challenge a few weeks back and I was suitably impressed, serious pace in the team, maybe a bit young and inexperienced though at this stage of their development??

My own club played them in a challenge a few weeks back and I was suitably impressed, serious pace in the team, maybe a bit young and inexperienced though at this stage of their development??

Yeah, very young team alright, think they have 6 of last year's minor winning team (and 5 of the current Limerick minor team).

I haven't actually seen them play in this year's Championship, so I'm going off word-of-mouth, but their results are impressive, beating Na Piarsaigh, topping their group.

A half-back line of Dinny Moloney, Cathal Mc and Richie English is as good as anything around, the one worry would be that up front, they maybe lack a serious scoring forward like Mulcahy or Downes or Hannon can be. Still though, Mikey Ryan, Pat Ryan and Coleman have been getting the scores so far... so maybe they can do it.

EDIT: Also no current intercounty players, so they're not going to suffer from any potential fallout from the Clare match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Who are they playing in the quarters?

Who are they playing in the quarters?

South Liberties.

You'd fancy them to win that, apparently South Liberties relying on Barry Nash a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

South Liberties.

You'd fancy them to win that, apparently South Liberties relying on Barry Nash a lot.

Doesn't really sound that there is too much to beat outside of Kilmallock, Na Piarsaigh and maybe Adare. Saw Kilmallock a good while back and was very impressed, and apparently they hadn't done much at that stage. Reckon Considine might be cute enough to have them peaking for this stage of the competition.

Doesn't really sound that there is too much to beat outside of Kilmallock, Na Piarsaigh and maybe Adare. Saw Kilmallock a good while back and was very impressed, and apparently they hadn't done much at that stage. Reckon Considine might be cute enough to have them peaking for this stage of the competition.

Kilmallock are strong alright, but haven't hit the heights of last year. Still won all 3 games and they do have Mulcahy... and a strong spine with O'Brien/Egan/O'Mahony/Ryan/O'Dwyer. You'd fancy them to get past Knockainey handily enough, and see where they go from there.

Ahane topped their group, scored 7 goals against Croom but Na Piarsaigh are still probably favourites. Don't think Ahane have enough strength all over the pitch to win the Championship, even if they did manage to get past Na Piarsaigh.

And then you have Ballybrown against Adare...you'd fancy Adare to win, but I'd say Ballybrown will fancy their chances of causing an upset. I don't think Adare have enough to win it outright either, although I suppose on his day Hannon is unplayable, nearly won the final on his own last year but Kilmallock just had that bit extra.

I just think Doon have gone about their business efficiently, and won the one crunch match they had/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Doon are the dark horse this year i think. I've seen them play twice this year and they look very strong. Cathal mac has had a great championship and he's still quite young. Moloney has been good too and mike fitz is a little bull up front. A friend of mine told me there's a big east rivalry between liberties and them so he wouldn't expect it to be as easy as people think but i think doon should win it comfortably enough.

Adare sneaked through once again and i don't expect them to challenge. Kilmallock are the team to beat i feel and can't see them losing this year.

With regards relegation, thwere's talk that croom were saving themselves for the match with patrickswell so that explains the performance against ahane but i don't buy into that. Yes they knew they were going to be last in the group but to leave in 7 goals is shocking. Can't see the well losing this. Cian lynch shouldn't have any minor commitments for the rest of the year (we'll see after today) so he should play and he could do serious damage against an inexperienced and aging croom side.

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    Doon are the dark horse this year i think. I've seen them play twice this year and they look very strong. Cathal mac has had a great championship and he's still quite young. Moloney has been good too and mike fitz is a little bull up front. A friend of mine told me there's a big east rivalry between liberties and them so he wouldn't expect it to be as easy as people think but i think doon should win it comfortably enough.

Has Mike Fitz been playing all year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Has Mike Fitz been playing all year?

yes

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/30522/0/limericks_donal_ogrady/cp_3

Interview with Dodge on Off the Ball last Tuesday. Anyone else think it sounds like John Allen won't be back? He didn't say anything for certain... but I just got that vibe that he didn't expect him to be back. Wonder what candidates we'll look at if he doesn't look for the job again.

On the other hand, it didn't sound like he was considering retiring himself, which is a boost. I was a little worried, he's 33, be 34 next summer, been around a while...finally won that Munster. It's great to have his leadership and experience around a young panel.

And he again highlighted the importance of Hickey's injury... I know we shouldn't rely on one player so much, which was a big mistake (Allis replaced him and was seemingly used in a completely different role) but Hickey is a super hurler and if anyone was going to limit Tony Kelly's influence, it would have been him.

The CCCC reject the minor appeal.

As for Allen, it's 50-50 I'd say. I saw a quote of his ' I don't really know at this stage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

A candidate from within limerick would be my preference but no one stands out to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3 UCANCHOOSE

Why don't they leave the current management together if John left?

UCANCHOOSE wrote: »
    Why don't they leave the current management together if John left?

Those guys have zero experience. They looked completely lost on the sidelines v Clare.

If Allen left, I'd like L Sheedy in, he could get us up to the next level.

Those guys have zero experience. They looked completely lost on the sidelines v Clare.

If Allen left, I'd like L Sheedy in, he could get us up to the next level.

No chance of getting Sheedy, have talked to him about he's future and he would only consider two intercounty jobs if he ever comes back.

No chance of getting Sheedy, have talked to him about he's future and he would only consider two intercounty jobs if he ever comes back.

Tipp & Galway ?

• Advertisement

Tipp & Galway ?

No Tipp and Dublin, this conversation took place before Dublin's great year and I'm pretty sure he had already been sought out by DCB - I would imagine they will now offer Daly a new contract though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement