Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tight at the back

lads sheedy has no intrest ,same backroom team need to stay on did great job this yr,shure john keily managed u21 and intermediate limerick teams and many club teams, ODonnell coached cork hurlers during the strike ,tipp footballers,and won all Ireland collages A FINAL 2012.and successful sr teams in tipp limerick needs stability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

lads sheedy has no intrest ,same backroom team need to stay on did great job this yr,shure john keily managed u21 and intermediate limerick teams and many club teams, ODonnell coached cork hurlers during the strike ,tipp footballers,and won all Ireland collages A FINAL 2012.and successful sr teams in tipp limerick needs stability

Agreed, but we also need to bring in a few Limerick men for further down the road. Shame Carey went, but Olly Moran, Quigley etc would be ideal, still in touch with the club scene etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Did he win anything of note ?

Ollie Moran yes, possibly as a selector.

Ollie has a brother involved not ideal any else?

Surely the brother will retire now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Could we see minor mgt coming through ??

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Would be surprised if Niall Moran stays or is kept another year. Examiner suggesting Allen ready to step down with selector John Kiely favourite to replace him, county board hoping to persuade Allen to stay. I think Damien Quigley would make a great selector. Or maybe bring in TJ Ryan. He didn't have a good year with the 21s but the experience may do him some good down the line.

quigley still playing !

Rumour has it that Allen & his team won't be staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Could we see minor mgt coming through ??

For Limericks sake I would hope not tbh, I thought they were very poor on the sideline against Galway and some of the subsitutions were bizarre, was more than suprised especially when Cregan was involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Wont make any game this weekend, would appreciate reports if any of ye fella's make a match.

On management i'm totally 50/50 as to wether they stay or go. If we change then it needs to be for better and im not sure there's that many good coaches out there we can get in or to be promoted within the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Wont make any game this weekend, would appreciate reports if any of ye fella's make a match.

On management i'm totally 50/50 as to wether they stay or go. If we change then it needs to be for better and im not sure there's that many good coaches out there we can get in or to be promoted within the county.

Agree with you completely far too many couties change for the sake of it and just move sideways or sometimes backwards, Limerick will not get a better manager than Allen IMO.

Obviously this scenario is quite differrent as it would seem that it is managements decision to part ways and not the County Boards.

Agree with you completely far too many couties change for the sake of it and just move sideways or sometimes backwards, Limerick will not get a better manager than Allen IMO.

Obviously this scenario is quite differrent as it would seem that it is managements decision to part ways and not the County Boards.

I'm pleased with the stance the county board have taken, they see progress has been made and want Allen to stay. May not have always been the way in the past.

quigley still playing !

That would be a plus in my book. So is Eamon Fitzmaurice.

Well the post mortems are fairly unanimous, it seems players were over trained, body fat too low, doing bleep tests on running machines, by the time match day came round they were weak as water, combined with the obvious selection errors and we never had a chance.

The current management really need to up their game if they do stay on.

If they don't then we need to get in a better outfit because there's no doubt we have a squad to be very competitive next year.

Tony considine anyone?

Garryspillane relegated last night, granagh stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

Rumours today on a local radio station that a source in the county board has told the radio broadcaster that Allen has stepped down.In other quarters it is being denied as tittle-tackle!Anybody know the truth??

Well the post mortems are fairly unanimous, it seems players were over trained, body fat too low, doing bleep tests on running machines, by the time match day came round they were weak as water, combined with the obvious selection errors and we never had a chance.

If they don't then we need to get in a better outfit because there's no doubt we have a squad to be very competitive next year.

Tony considine anyone?

This is a joke/wind-up, right?

This is a joke/wind-up, right?

Its whats been said to me from 2 different people, It could be total shoight yes, I really don't know.

Hearing John Kiely wont be involved due to work commitments

kilmallock 0-17 - knockainey 0-3 (left with 5 minutes to go)

Wont bother with any details, as ye might have guessed knockainey couldn't score.

County players went well, GOM back to centre back.

Both Mulcahys and Robbie egan went off injured, kilmallock could be in a bit of trouble if either mulcahy is out next day.

Liam walsh lucky not to get a straight red

Cleary and finch only knockainey players of note.

Doon won but I don't know score, anyone? Really regret not backing them at 8-1 e/w.

Looks like the whole of south limerick is going to the effin v bruee game, should be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I haven't said much about Allen, or a potential successor but I know it would be nice to have a Limerick person in charge, but I really don't think there's anyone qualified to take the job. No one that automatically springs to mind anyway.

TJ would have been a choice but the tactics of the 21s this year were bloody awful, wouldn't say he's ready to take charge.

Doubt Cregan would take it at this stage, although he is the one person who does have the necessary pedigree...but he's had his chance at this stage, and is doing good work at underage and I'd say he'll stay there.

Joe Quaid... very highly rated coach, but if he couldn't get the minor job after doing well with them before, I can't see him getting the senior job.

Carey- no, Fitzgibbon- no, Ollie Moran...great player but what has he done at coaching level, could be a selector... I'd like to see Damien Quigley involved as selector but wouldn't put him in charge.

Then you've got Leo O'Connor, no chance of getting it. Previous managers- Ryan, Bennis, Keane...their time has all come and gone. Kirby...would he be any good? I don't know...

Then there's Ger Cunningham? Would he be suitable?

I'd like Allen to stay on, but if he doesn't, I think we have to look outside the county, just because I don't see a suitable person within. I'd love to see Anthony Daly in charge...but probably not likely.

And will Niall Moran retire? He's only 30/31... would be more worried about Dodge.

• Advertisement

DOG scored 2 goals for granagh last night, don't see him going anywhere.

Kildimo/Pallas stay up in intermediate, with a bit of luck, beat Pallasgreen by a goal :)

Doon match was 1-18 to 0-9 apparently....I took them at 8/1 each way, think they have a real chance.... particularly if the Mulcahys and Egan are likely to miss any games.

Bit of a shock last night with Garryspillane going down, expected them to have enough to beat Granagh/Ballingarry

Its whats been said to me from 2 different people, It could be total shoight yes, I really don't know.

First time I ever heard of a GAA player with body fat too low!!! I doubt it! :D

Tony considine anyone?

I've heard Kiely is the new principal in Tipperay school. He didn't add much anyway. Also Allen believes he has taken the team as far as he can, time will tell but I believe new management is on the way.

First time I ever heard of a GAA player with body fat too low!!! I doubt it! :D

I believe it happened to Waterford a while back, (the skilt diet or something) basically they were super fit but had the hitting power of wet Kleenex. But yeah could be shoight.

I believe it happened to Waterford a while back, (the skilt diet or something) basically they were super fit but had the hitting power of wet Kleenex. But yeah could be shoight.

Sounds like ****e man. Fitness was one thing we didn't look short of this year, we finished like a train against tipp.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I've heard Kiely is the new principal in Tipperay school. He didn't add much anyway. Also Allen believes he has taken the team as far as he can, time will tell but I believe new management is on the way.

How do you know what Kiely added or didn't? How do you know what Allen believes?

Sounds like ****e man. Fitness was one thing we didn't look short of this year, we finished like a train against tipp.

Yeah, but we were awful against clare, plus the form of all the county players 2 weeks prior to the clare game was awful - it seems they were over trained it was definitely a factor. the county boys were lifting for kilmallock last night, DOG got two goals for granagh, be interesting if anyone goes to gaelic grounds to see how the county players go there. I think there's something to it, but im not going to claim to be certain.

Adare beat Ballybrown 2-24 to 1-13, bit surprised by that, thought it would be much closer. Ballybrown were winning for a lot of the game, but once Declan Hannon got a goal, Adare never looked back, Willie Griffin got another one and racked up lots of scores.

Hannon got 1-9, 1-3 from play... and John Fitzgibbon sounded as if he was very impressive, think he got 0-7 from play. Not 100% sure about that but that is a very impressive tally.

I kinda had written Adare off a bit, but that scoring spree in the 2nd half and the way they kicked on and disposed of a decent Ballybrown side is certainly noteworthy. In Hannon, Griffin, Fitzgibbon, Fitzgerald...they certainly have forwards who can rack up scores. It'll be interesting.

If anyone who was at the game wants to give their thoughts, be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but we were awful against clare, plus the form of all the county players 2 weeks prior to the clare game was awful - it seems they were over trained it was definitely a factor. the county boys were lifting for kilmallock last night, DOG got two goals for granagh, be interesting if anyone goes to gaelic grounds to see how the county players go there. I think there's something to it, but im not going to claim to be certain.

In fairness to the county players it would be hard for them not to go through those club games just not wanting to pick up an injury.

Na P beat Ahane 3-16 to 7 today, without Na P ever looking at their best. Ahane looked like a junior team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement