Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

Fireball07 wrote: »

And whatever about low standards in club hurling, we do have some very talented young hurlers, one of the most talented batch of players we've had in a while imo. We have to ensure that we pick the right manager to get the best out of them... it's a pivotal time for Limerick hurling, the wrong decision could set us back a few years.

Agree fully about the management issue.Thing is though most other counties have serious talent too.2 weeks time could see waterford and clare be minor and under 21 all ireland champions along with tipp's minor last year so we are not alone in having good players.Thats before kilkenny,dublin and galway come into the mix.

To be competitive in the years ahead we need to create our own high standards and continuously build on them.The big fear I would have is that in the minor grade especially the old guard has reasserted itself.

God no.

Agree with all of that. Although you seem a bit paranoid about 'politics', don't think that had anything to do with Carey leaving for example.

I dont know the full details of carey going I'll admit but there has been a lot of talk about players from the well (the o'briens in particular) not being involved so indirectly I would say club politics (whatever they are!) to be a factor.You know a parent or a friend possibly getting into carey's head maybe.

I dont like going on about club politics believe me but given our past its something I'm fearful about.Along with the excellent set-ups , the lack of bias is something that impressed me about o'grady and allen most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

shockframe wrote: »
    Agree fully about the management issue.Thing is though most other counties have serious talent too.2 weeks time could see waterford and clare be minor and under 21 all ireland champions along with tipp's minor last year so we are not alone in having good players.Thats before kilkenny,dublin and galway come into the mix.

To be competitive in the years ahead we need to create our own high standards and continuously build on them.The big fear I would have is that in the minor grade especially the old guard has reasserted itself.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree that other teams have good young players too. But that's why a good manager and coaching setup is so important, to give us an edge.

Speaking of good young talent, underage intercounty tournaments were on this weekend:
    Results
    Un.16’A Tipperary Supporters Club All-Ireland hurling Tournament.
    Rd 1: Limerick 0-08 Kilkenny 0-11
    Rd 2: Limerick 3-09 Wexford 1-14
    Rd 3: Limerick 0-08 Offaly 1-09.

Un.14’A Tony Forristal Tournament.
    Rd 1: Limerick 3-09 Waterford 2-07
    Rd 2: Limerick 0-08 Clare 1-09.

Un.14’B Sonny Walsh Tournament.
    Rd 1: Limerick 1-04 Kilkenny 4-05
    Rd 2: Limerick 1-06 Wexford 1-08.

Un.15’A Carrigdhoun Munster Inter-County Tournament.
    Rd 1: Limerick 1-12 Cork 2-06
    Rd 2: Limerick 2-10 Tipperary 3-12
    Shield Final Limerick 2-06 Cork 2-05.

Un.15’B Clarecastle Munster Inter-County Tournament.
    Rd 1: Limerick 2-11 Tipperary 2-06
    Rd 2: Limerick 0-07 Cork 2-10.
    Sheild Final Limerick 3-15 Kerry 2-01

Football challenge
    Un.17 Football Development Squad
    Limerick 2-08 East Kerry Minor 3-08.

I don't know how our teams were divided or who the management teams were (does anyone know, I'd be interested in finding out), but I know we've done well in these in recent years... maybe slightly disappointing results. But it's a competitive environment at underage level, and the most important thing is bringing through players of a high standard. Apparently we were slightly unlikely in the Tony Forristal against Clare, who got to the final.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree that other teams have good young players too. But that's why a good manager and coaching setup is so important, to give us an edge.

Speaking of good young talent, underage intercounty tournaments were on this weekend:

I don't know how our teams were divided or who the management teams were (does anyone know, I'd be interested in finding out), but I know we've done well in these in recent years... maybe slightly disappointing results. But it's a competitive environment at underage level, and the most important thing is bringing through players of a high standard. Apparently we were slightly unlikely in the Tony Forristal against Clare, who got to the final.

Not the worst underage results.Bit disappointing the 16s losing 2 games but with a strong 16s team last year its unlikely we'd be good 2 years in a row.

The key here is to be competitive and maybe sneak the odd title every so often.

Ok showing too by the 17s footballers by the sounds of it.Hopefully will show an improvement over recent times.Badly need to get underage up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That's what I was thinking...... I just have a feeling it's Considine.

Don't know what to make of that if it did happen though, there's no way I'd say he's a better manager than John Allen. Does he have what it takes to get the best out of these players, and the ability tactically and on the sideline to win an All-Ireland, or even win another Munster? I don't know...

Considine would be a massive step backwards for Limerick imo, and I have worked under both Considine and Ger Cunningham and trust me Cunningham is twice the manager Considine is.

• Advertisement

Considine would be a massive step backwards for Limerick imo, and I have worked under both Considine and Ger Cunningham and trust me Cunningham is twice the manager Considine is.

Well, we'll have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Considine was a disaster for Clare as a manager , remember 2007 qf , Kevin dilleen corner back and use of gerry Quinn in that game , his main contribution in 95 and 97 was singing my lovely rose of Clare , moving in this direction would indeed be a backward step IMO

Whoever does take over, I hope they consider Cathal Mac for centre-back.

Most great teams are built around a strong half-back line that is dominant in the air. Kilkenny had Walsh/Hogan/Delaney, Cork had Gardiner/Curran/O hAilpin, in the past we've had some superb half-back lines. Last year's were all talented players but as a unit weren't a dominating force.

I'd love to see Cathal Mac tried in the league, as he's a natural centre-back, when we don't really have many. Wayne, Dodge, Hannon, Quaid, GOM, Allis are all options having played there at some level but I'm not sure if any are the answer.

Quaid-McNamara-O'Mahony could be an excellent half-back line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Never liked Considine thought he wouldn't cut it, and was terrible as manager of Clare. I find myself disagreeing with him very often in his articles, but I must say that Kilmallock team he has are very good.

But my preference would be Cunningham if I was from Limerick. His record is incredible, and I know that he had agreed to be full time coach of Waterford next season having divided his time between Laois and Waterford this year. The whole Michael Ryan situation has f*cked that up though so dunno where he stand now. Some Waterford players thought very highly of his training sessions last year as well.

I think he'd probably love a shot with his native County, I know I would if I was a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

1 - Aaron Murphy
    2 - 1 of 4
    3 - Richie Mc
    4 - 2 of 4
    5 - 1 of Nicky quaid, wayne mc, tomas ryan, cathal king, dinny moloney
    6 - Cathal mc (looking forward to seeing him in 2 weeks)
    7 - GOM
    8 - DOG
    9 - POB
    10 - Hannon
    11 - James ryan (or alternative)
    12 - Dowling
    13 - Mulcahy
    14 - A.N.other
    15 - Downes

Honestly it shouldn't be hard to get this team/squad to an all Ireland.
    Looking forward to the semis to see who else puts their hand up for selection.

Team travelled up the night before all day waiting around Dublin to get nervous, clare travelled up on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

1 - Aaron Murphy
    2 - 1 of 4
    3 - Richie Mc
    4 - 2 of 4
    7 - GOM
    8 - DOG
    9 - POB
    10 - Hannon
    12 - Dowling
    13 - Mulcahy
    14 - A.N.other
    15 - Downes

Team travelled up the night before all day waiting around Dublin to get nervous, clare travelled up on the day.

You forgot Hickey!!!

But you're dead right paddy, there is a quality team in there.

Reckon Condon is a nailed on starter too.

I'd have DOG at 6 with Hickey and POB at midfield.

Think I'd stick Dowling in full forward. Hannon and two of Breen, Ryan, Allis at half forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Tobin has a lot to offer too and one to consider in free taking stakes too , always thought Breen was better facing the ball and another centre back option but I mightn't much agreement on that

1 - Aaron Murphy
    2 - 1 of 4
    3 - Richie Mc
    4 - 2 of 4
    7 - GOM
    8 - DOG
    9 - POB
    10 - Hannon
    12 - Dowling
    13 - Mulcahy
    14 - A.N.other
    15 - Downes

No Hickey? One of the first names on the teamsheet for me. Either in midfield or at wing-back. We do have a good few options in most positions.

Strong half-back line and getting the best out of Hannon would be the keys in my opinion. Look at Clare, and how they get the best out of Tony Kelly... we should be trying to utilise Hannon as much as possible, he can score from all sorts of angles.

Wouldn't mind having the likes of Moloney, Egan, O'Brien, maybe a couple of others being looked at in the early part of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

Not sure Limerick will have a better chance than this year to go all the way unfortunately.
    In my opinion when the backs were to the wall against Clare, Paul Browne stood up and was counted so too did David Breen that day, James Ryan against Cork and Ritchie McCarthy against Cork and Tipp especially, these 4 guys showed leadership qualities and know deep inside themselves they can produce when the heat is on its to those 4 I'd look next year.
    We talk about getting it out of fellas but if its not in there in the first place how do you do that? Its no good doing it and looking the real deal when you are 5 points in a game, that's cycling down a hill with the wind at your back.

LMK wrote: »
    Not sure Limerick will have a better chance than this year to go all the way unfortunately.
    In my opinion when the backs were to the wall against Clare, Paul Browne stood up and was counted so too did David Breen that day, James Ryan against Cork and Ritchie McCarthy against Cork and Tipp especially, these 4 guys showed leadership qualities and know deep inside themselves they can produce when the heat is on its to those 4 I'd look next year.
    We talk about getting it out of fellas but if its not in there in the first place how do you do that? Its no good doing it and looking the real deal when you are 5 points in a game, that's cycling down a hill with the wind at your back.

I'd agree with that, thought Paul Browne was excellent against Clare. But at the same time, I think that he and Breen may find it hard to hold their places for next year.

I think when we were 4 points down against Tipp, the likes of Dodge and O'Mahony were also really important in pulling us back into the game, not to mention Dowling.

LMK wrote: »
    Agree. And yet as Fireball said, Browne and Breen are probably most at risk next season. I think most people want to see POB at midfield next year, he'd probably need someone pacey like Browne that can cover miles of the pitch alongside him, which is actually the role I'd see for Hickey. Breen improved as the season went on and causes problems for defences, he created chances of goals a few times v Cork and Clare but was eventually bottled up, maybe a bit of work should be done on the support play from the other forwards and/or Breens ability to deliver a final pass to make more of those chances.

In any event even if a few players are dropped to the bench we still need impact subs. Browne coming into the game fresh with 20 to go would make a big impact in the middle for example.

Was just putting the team out to demonstrate there's an AI team there, pick and choose yer favs as ye want lads

Breen was CB for Na P at the weekend or at least was named there, be interesting to see where he lines out in the semis.

Was just putting the team out to demonstrate there's an AI team there, pick and choose yer favs as ye want lads

Breen was CB for Na P at the weekend or at least was named there, be interesting to see where he lines out in the semis.
    He's been 6 the last two games I'm sure he'll stay there.

Dowling was 11 for Na P the last game and had little impact, will be interesting to see is he picked there again and how he does on GOM. Hannon and GOM had a great battle and were both outstanding in the county final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tight at the back

yeah good point,

Football championship this weekend, I fancy all the favourites to win. Interviews for the new football manager are also supposed to be taking place over the next week- Donnelly, McGlinchey and English the nominees, but apparently they were open to other candidates. Don't know if any high profile manager would be interested, or whether the board would be willing to foot the bill.

As for the hurlers.... just as an example, I would be happy with any of Dempsey, Condon, Carmody, Walsh, Moloney, O'Neill or Hickey at corner-back. In my opinion, all 7 of those players are intercounty standard at corner-back... I don't know why Moloney was left off the panel this year but I would pick Dempsey because I believe he has the highest potential of the lot. Not that the others aren't good, some of them are excellent, I just think Dempsey is class.

It's a similar thing up front, I would always play Downes because of his natural ability unless his form is really off. Other players might be good and playing well, and there might be no reason to leave them out...but Downes has that bit extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Talking to an associate of Ger's last night and he informed me Ger has committed to Laois for next year.

Talking to an associate of Ger's last night and he informed me Ger has committed to Laois for next year.

Slightly disappointing, dunno if he was ever in the running though. Hopefully some day though.

---

My thoughts on Maurice Horan's reign, the Limerick football situation and a brief overview of the candidates:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/limerick-senior-football-new-manager-new-future/

And Cian Lynch, of Patrickswell and Limerick minor fame, has done his own freestyle hurling video (a current GAA initiative).

Some fairly decent skills there.

Club semi finals fixed to clash with the camogie all Ireland final. Would have been easy to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

And Cian Lynch, of Patrickswell and Limerick minor fame, has done his own freestyle hurling video (a current GAA initiative).

Some fairly decent skills there.

The hat is dacent... Pure Limerick City....

Club semi finals fixed to clash with the camogie all Ireland final. Would have been easy to avoid that.

Fairly stupid really...

Benny Cake wrote: »
    The hat is dacent... Pure Limerick City....

Tis fairly class alright :D

meeting on fate of management Tuesday night apparently

I took a quick look at the last round of football games too:

http://www.livegaelic.com/counties/limerick-senior-football-championship-group-stage-final-round/

Monaleen beat NCW last night, and St. Kieran's had a big win over Adare, both are through to the knockout phase. NCW now hoping St. Pat's don't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

meeting on fate of management Tuesday night apparently

Looking and listening to John Allen and watching his body language , I think he will not be with Limerick next season. ;)

• Advertisement

I took a quick look at the last round of football games too:

http://www.livegaelic.com/counties/limerick-senior-football-championship-group-stage-final-round/

Monaleen beat NCW last night, and St. Kieran's had a big win over Adare, both are through to the knockout phase. NCW now hoping St. Pat's don't win.

6 from 6 in my predictions, feeling pretty proud, and got a nice cash influx for it :P

St. Pat's beat Pallasgreen by 7, which means they make the quarter-finals at the expense of NCW. It also means Pallasgreen are in the relegation play-off against Mountcollins, who were beaten well by Fr. Casey's. Ballysteen won by 6 in the end against Galbally and have done well to make the knockout stages.

Means quarter-finals are St. Kieran's V Ballysteen, and St. Pat's V Ballylanders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement