Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

John Allen steps down as limerick hurling manager. Just confirmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Where did you see/hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Where did you see/hear that?

it's everywhere. all over twitter, facebook, news sites etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Best of luck to him, initially kind of relieved he's gone but it seems clear that the county board have no one lined up to replace him, we could replace him with absolute shoight and end up in a worse situation. New manager whoever that is might not even be in the gaelic grounds sunday.

We need to thread carefully, and get the right team in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

He has done a great job over the last couple of years & hoped he would stay on but alas no.

I hear Liam Sheedy is taking over so hopefully he can carry on the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Rightwing wrote: »
    Rumour has it that Allen & his team won't be staying on.

That was spot on anyway.

Hopefully the county board will take their time and get the right person in. Important not to rush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

shawnee wrote: »
    Looking and listening to John Allen and watching his body language , I think he will not be with Limerick next season. ;)

Yeah , got that one right. Did a good job , brought the team forward quite a bit. Hope they get a bit of continuity and someone who is able to read the game and take decisive action when it is going wrong.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I thank John Allen for his undoubted contribution to the senior team this year. However I feel he has taken this team as far as it can go, the tactics required to beat Clare were in no way evident. Thus I welcome the instalment of a new manager before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I dunno, not sure we'll get a better manager...or even one of the same level. I really really hope we do, we definitely need a good manager to take us forward....but I'm not convinced we will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Some of the betting from Paddy Power:
    Liam sheedy 2/1
    John Kiely 4/1
    Ger Cunningam 5/1
    Donal Óg 7/1
    TJ 7/1
    Ciaran 8/1
    Donal O'Grady 10/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/GAA-Sports-Specials/next-limerick-manager?ev_oc_grp_ids=1308174

I'd love if we got Sheedy. He'd be a great appointment but I read before he'd only consider Dublin or Tipp so I'd only believe it if I saw it.

Donal Óg could be an outside shout. I think we need an outside man to be honest. A lot of lads like Tom Condon from non senior clubs were given chances under O'Grady and Allen and it would have been hard to see that happening under Limerick men with senior club allegiances.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Some of the betting from Paddy Power:
    Liam sheedy 2/1
    John Kiely 4/1
    Ger Cunningam 5/1
    Donal Óg 7/1
    TJ 7/1
    Ciaran 8/1
    Donal O'Grady 10/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/GAA-Sports-Specials/next-limerick-manager?ev_oc_grp_ids=1308174

I'd love if we got Sheedy. He'd be a great appointment but I read before he'd only consider Dublin or Tipp so I'd only believe it if I saw it.

Donal Óg could be an outside shout. I think we need an outside man to be honest. A lot of lads like Tom Condon from non senior clubs were given chances under O'Grady and Allen and it would have been hard to see that happening under Limerick men with senior club allegiances.

THat came from a poster on here, premierstone. Sheedy is def the man.
    J Kiely @ 4/1 ? :eek: , they must be having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I can't see O' Grady return to the job after a year. Also he was supposedly in running for the Waterford managerial job (and one other place, can't remember) which is a case of including him just because he left management and is now in media. He could come back but he stayed only the short while in Limerick.

I wouldn't be so certain on Donal Óg Cusack either. I think it's a big ask for his first managerial job and he hinted about the Waterford job that it should be someone in-county, maybe he feels the same.

I can't see O' Grady return to the job after a year. Also he was supposedly in running for the Waterford managerial job (and one other place, can't remember) which is a case of including him just because he left management and is now in media. He could come back but he stayed only the short while in Limerick.

I wouldn't be so certain on Donal Óg Cusack either. I think it's a big ask for his first managerial job and he hinted about the Waterford job that it should be someone in-county, maybe he feels the same.

Absolutely, Cusack had 0 managerial experience. That would be a brain dead choice. Get in a manager who has won an AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

JP will surely underwrite the right man. Sheedy for me seems logical, already has won enough as a manager to get respect from the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

THat came from a poster on here, premierstone. Sheedy is def the man.
    J Kiely @ 4/1 ? :eek: , they must be having a laugh.

It was me alright, and I know he was really considering the Dublin job at the time but Daly has now earned a new contract.

I haven't spoke to anyone in the know since the Limerick job became available but I would be shocked if Liam Sheedy were to take it, he left the Tipp job due to work commitments in the Capital, so taking the Limerick job now would make zero sense, nothing has changed with regard to his work.

Just looking at the betting there, the favourite IMO won't take it if offered, the third favourite has signed up and commited to Laois, the second favourite IMO isn't a big enough name or personality for the job, so there has to be value there lads!!

The fact that Damien Quigley and Mike O'Riordan are on the selection Committee will surely favour the likes of Ciaran Carey and TJ??

It was me alright, and I know he was really considering the Dublin job at the time but Daly has now earned a new contract.

I haven't spoke to anyone in the know since the Limerick job became available but I would be shocked if Liam Sheedy were to take it, he left the Tipp job due to work commitments in the Capital, so taking the Limerick job now would make zero sense, nothing has changed with regard to his work.

Just looking at the betting there, the favourite IMO won't take it if offered, the third favourite has signed up and commited to Laois, the second favourite IMO isn't a big enough name or personality for the job, so there has to be value there lads!!

The fact that Damien Quigley and Mike O'Riordan are on the selection Committee will surely favour the likes of Ciaran Carey and TJ??[/QUOTE]

If as you sheedy and cunningham are out as you say then i suggest we look harder, nobody else on that list fills me with confidence. Carey is a legend but he walked away when he had a chance in the last set up and others have alluded to reasons why on here.

Tj, might be doing a good job as an outsider in kilworth but not for me the limerick job.

Keep looking.

The fact that Damien Quigley and Mike O'Riordan are on the selection Committee will surely favour the likes of Ciaran Carey and TJ??

Absolutely agree. Rule out Kiely, that's laughable. Sheedy unlikely to take it.

However, I'm sure Cunningham would be forgiven for leaving Laois if Limk came looking. That's the value bet, but again does he have the necessary experience?

Not that interested in experience, coaching and tactics is what we need, install a manager to organise buses and stuff, what i want is someone to coach quality players, select in the right positions (without club/personal bias) and make tactical decisions on the line, if cunningham fits the bill, i'll take him regardless of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Absolutely agree. Rule out Kiely, that's laughable. Sheedy unlikely to take it.

However, I'm sure Cunningham would be forgiven for leaving Laois if Limk came looking. That's the value bet, but again does he have the necessary experience?
    Why is it laughable? What's sufficient experience? Are you confining options to precious intercounty managers?

• Advertisement

Why is it laughable? What's sufficient experience? Are you confining options to precious intercounty managers?

I don't know anything about Cunningham, but knowledgeable posters here speak highly of him. If he has a good track record of managing teams that would do me.

I certainly wouldn't be parachuting in selectors who gave me the strong impression they didn't know what they were doing.

I don't know anything about Cunningham, but knowledgeable posters here speak highly of him. If he has a good track record of managing teams that would do me.

I certainly wouldn't be parachuting in selectors who gave me the strong impression they didn't know what they were doing.
    Why is John Kiely laughable? He looks the most likely appointment to me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Would folks here have an opinion on 'sparrow' O'Loughlin.??
    seemed to do a decent enough job with Adare, is a likeable chap, no club bias, proper age profile and would be reasonably up to speed on the Limerick club scene.

Why is John Kiely laughable? He looks the most likely appointment to me right now.

What's his track record in management? Did he ever even manage or win anything of note? That's what we need to be looking for, proven winners.

Sort of unrelated, but didn't he become the new principal in Tipperary, can't see how he could do 2 jobs hitting the ground running in so to speak.

What's his track record in management? Did he ever even manage or win anything of note? That's what we need to be looking for, proven winners.

Sort of unrelated, but didn't he become the new principal in Tipperary, can't see how he could do 2 jobs hitting the ground running in so to speak.
    So are you looking for managers with a proven track record of winning? With intercounty or at other levels? Who fits that bill?

I think Kiely has been the intermediate manager, and has also been a selector with John Allen. Of potential candidates from Limerick he probably has the most experience and has the benefit of bringing continuity from the former set up. I don't know that much about him but of the Limerick candidates he is probably the most likely. Since I don't think Sheedy is realistic, or English, Kiely looks the most likely appointment to me.

Cunningham was over Newtownshandrum when they won the AI in 2004, he then went to Thurles Sarsfields and they won their first County Final in over 30 years under him, after this he took over Kildangan who had won the AI intermediate under another Limerick man Ger Hegarty and won the clubs first North Senior hurling title in 64 years - this is where I came to know the man - he has also been very involved with UL and was over them in 2011 when they won the Fitzgibbon.

His impact on Laois this year is clear to see and they have shown clear signs of improvement and when Waterford were somewhat struggling earlier in the season they also turned to him and were delighted with he's efforts. Laois have moved quickly to keep he's services for next year, but I guess as someone mentioned earlier if he's native county came offering the top job I'm sure an agreement could be reached.

We've had 3 All-Ireland winning managers in a row now, none of them have won an All-Ireland with us... (although they all did with their native county). Okay, we mightn't have had the players to win an All-Ireland before this year, perhaps, but we have to aim for that in the future.

Sheedy is an excellent manager, but before he won an All-Ireland with Tipp, what kind of pedigree did he have? Some underage success.... but we can't just appoint someone who has won an All-Ireland before... how else do new managers go on to win All-Irelands.

I think Kiely is a real possibility, but I'm not sure he is the right man... I don't really know what his role this year was, and whether he will be the person to bring us forward.

1 thing that I think we all agree with is, there aren't too many serious contenders out there.

Fireball07 wrote: »

Sheedy is an excellent manager, but before he won an All-Ireland with Tipp, what kind of pedigree did he have? Some underage success.... but we can't just appoint someone who has won an All-Ireland before... how else do new managers go on to win All-Irelands.

He won an Intermediate AI title with Tipp in 2000 and a Minor AI in 2005, so had pretty much served he's apprenticeship, agree with your sentiment that you should not rule someone out based on what they haven't won, surely at the same time you want some sort of proven pedigree.

• Advertisement

He won an Intermediate AI title with Tipp in 2000 and a Minor AI in 2005, so had pretty much served he's apprenticeship, agree with your sentiment that you should not rule someone out based on what they haven't won, surely at the same time you want some sort of proven pedigree.

Yeah some sort of pedigree is needed, you don't give someone their first job in charge of a county team who are on the back of winning a Munster and would like to go one better.

But it doesn't necessarily have to be an AI title at senior grade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement