Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Candidates as listed on Paddy Power:

Liam Sheedy (6/4) - Doesn't look likely given his work commitments. Can't argue with his CV as an All-Ireland winning manager but can't see it happening.

John Kiely (10/3) - Is a Limerick man and I fully agree that he would bring continuity but hasn't had success of much note at manager level. Could he inspire these young players and bring them to next level. I personally don't think so.

Ger Cunningham (6/1) - CV is impressive but have always considered him a coach moreso than a manager. Doesn't look likely given his supposed commitment to Laois but if County board came knocking, it might be too hard to resist - possibility.

Donal Og Cusack (15/2) - Speaks well and you would imagine that he has the skillset and knowledge to be a good modern manager. However lack of experience is a serious negative. Can't see it happening but would welcome if it did.

TJ Ryan (9/1) - Limerick man and knows the club scene inside out. Has performed reasonably well as a manager at club level and has served as a selector with Limerick. However, would have to seriously question the performance of a talented U-21 team this year. Would like to see him involved as selector but have the feeling he would want more.

Ciaran Carey (9/1) - One of Limericks All time greats but good players do not always make good managers. Not for me.

Others:
    Donal O Grady (10/1) - Can't see him returning
    Gary Kirby (12/1) - Hasn't achieved enough as a manager
    Leo O Connor (14/1) - Bit of a mess with 21s last year. Wounds too fresh.
    Tony Considine (16/1) - Although he knows the club seen inside out and has had relative success with Kilmallock, don't think he is up to it.
    Ger "Sparrow" O Loughlin - Had great success with Adare and knows club scene well. Always seems to have his teams ready for a battle but always looked short of bringing teams to next level - whether with Adare in Munster or as manager at Clare.

Other Fancies:
    Martin Fogarty (no price quoted) - Left Kilkenny management set-up this year after a number of years involved. In line to be next Kilkenny manager but who knows when that will be so might fancy a crack now. Serious operator.
    Pat Herbert (16/1) - Could have a great chance. CV is very impressive and rated pretty highly around the country. Had a good year in Wexford last year with Oulart.

Anyone any other thoughts on real possibilities?
    Thats as far as I see it above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Volvic12 wrote: »
    Candidates as listed on Paddy Power:

Liam Sheedy (6/4) - Doesn't look likely given his work commitments. Can't argue with his CV as an All-Ireland winning manager but can't see it happening.

John Kiely (10/3) - Is a Limerick man and I fully agree that he would bring continuity but hasn't had success of much note at manager level. Could he inspire these young players and bring them to next level. I personally don't think so.

Ger Cunningham (6/1) - CV is impressive but have always considered him a coach moreso than a manager. Doesn't look likely given his supposed commitment to Laois but if County board came knocking, it might be too hard to resist - possibility.

Donal Og Cusack (15/2) - Speaks well and you would imagine that he has the skillset and knowledge to be a good modern manager. However lack of experience is a serious negative. Can't see it happening but would welcome if it did.

TJ Ryan (9/1) - Limerick man and knows the club scene inside out. Has performed reasonably well as a manager at club level and has served as a selector with Limerick. However, would have to seriously question the performance of a talented U-21 team this year. Would like to see him involved as selector but have the feeling he would want more.

Ciaran Carey (9/1) - One of Limericks All time greats but good players do not always make good managers. Not for me.

Others:
    Donal O Grady (10/1) - Can't see him returning
    Gary Kirby (12/1) - Hasn't achieved enough as a manager
    Leo O Connor (14/1) - Bit of a mess with 21s last year. Wounds too fresh.
    Tony Considine (16/1) - Although he knows the club seen inside out and has had relative success with Kilmallock, don't think he is up to it.
    Ger "Sparrow" O Loughlin - Had great success with Adare and knows club scene well. Always seems to have his teams ready for a battle but always looked short of bringing teams to next level - whether with Adare in Munster or as manager at Clare.

Other Fancies:
    Martin Fogarty (no price quoted) - Left Kilkenny management set-up this year after a number of years involved. In line to be next Kilkenny manager but who knows when that will be so might fancy a crack now. Serious operator.
    Pat Herbert (16/1) - Could have a great chance. CV is very impressive and rated pretty highly around the country. Had a good year in Wexford last year with Oulart.

Anyone any other thoughts on real possibilities?
    Thats as far as I see it above.

That's a good write-up. Sheedy's price is narrowing.

Who were the other selectors this year? My image of them is at half time v Clare, the lot looked dumbstruck, spending 7 minutes consulting their match programmes on the sidelines, whilst Davy Fitz was in with the Clare team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Rightwing wrote: »
    That's a good write-up. Sheedy's price is narrowing.

Who were the other selectors this year? My image of them is at half time v Clare, the lot looked dumbstruck, spending 7 minutes consulting their match programmes on the sidelines, whilst Davy Fitz was in with the Clare team.

Donacha O Domhnaill was one, he won the All Ireland colleges with Nenagh CBS.

Tbf to Allen and his selectors they did remain on the sideline at halftime and were slated for it because Limerick ultimately lost the game, however James Horan did the exact same thing the week after when Mayo were in trouble at half time against Tyrone, and because they eventualy won the game, he was praised for leaving it up to the players to realise what they had done in the first half wasn't good enough etc.

It's a very thin line between perceived sucess and failure and both the media and supporters are exclusively results based in their analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Good write-up..... I think it shows the lack of obvious candidates. Maybe someone well come from left-field to take the job.

I had big hopes for TJ but after the 21s performance this year, there would have to be serious question marks over his capability as of now. If they had done well, I'd say he'd have been a shoo-in.

Don't want Carey, Cusack is inexperienced, O'Connor has no chance realistically, wouldn't want Sparrow...

I wouldn't be totally against Kirby getting it but it's not likely to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What about yer minor management team, any possibility there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Makes no difference who we have, can't see
    Limerick coming out of Munster next year

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Was a selector with Justin McCarthy. Dear god no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Meh. Justin thing...and I think Quaid deserves a lot of the credit for that team.

Makes no difference who we have, can't see
    Limerick coming out of Munster next year
    Disagree. We're not that far off the teams in the final and no reason to be scared of Waterford or Tipp. With a good set up again we can compete with anyone. Munster next year is wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Meh. Justin thing...and I think Quaid deserves a lot of the credit for that team.

He sure does. He got fairly shafted by the county board. Was talking to him at the Clare game and he had no bad blood but it should have been handled better.

I don't know if its a situation a manager should be delighted to be coming into or hesitant. We won Munster this year so arguably there will be huge expectation next year and the squad will have to be extremely driven to push on next year. When OGrady took over after the strike he couldnt lose really. If we won a few games he was the messiah but if we lost the county would have blamed the players after the previous year's goings on.

We do have the makings of a great young team if we can get Dowling right next year we'll be able to free up Hannon and we could kick on. For once Limerick hurling seems to be at peace but we all know from experience a bit of in fighting is never too far away.

Ger Loughnane anyone? :-D Paul Kinnerk seems to have done well as coach with Clare this year so we could look to get him on board. Was Ger Cunningham involved in the setup back around 2005 when we lost to KK in the quarter final?

• Advertisement

Disagree. We're not that far off the teams in the final and no reason to be scared of Waterford or Tipp. With a good set up again we can compete with anyone. Munster next year is wide open.

I'd agree with this that we should fear no one but we do tend to struggle after a good season. Look at 2008 after the AI the year before and after we lost to Tipp in 2001 in the Munster final.

Browney7 wrote: »
    He sure does. He got fairly shafted by the county board. Was talking to him at the Clare game and he had no bad blood but it should have been handled better.

I don't know if its a situation a manager should be delighted to be coming into or hesitant. We won Munster this year so arguably there will be huge expectation next year and the squad will have to be extremely driven to push on next year. When OGrady took over after the strike he couldnt lose really. If we won a few games he was the messiah but if we lost the county would have blamed the players after the previous year's goings on.

We do have the makings of a great young team if we can get Dowling right next year we'll be able to free up Hannon and we could kick on. For once Limerick hurling seems to be at peace but we all know from experience a bit of in fighting is never too far away.

Ger Loughnane anyone? :-D Paul Kinnerk seems to have done well as coach with Clare this year so we could look to get him on board. Was Ger Cunningham involved in the setup back around 2005 when we lost to KK in the quarter final?
    Would be great if we could poach Kinnerk or Cunningham back home to be involved somehow.

Donacha O Domhnaill was one, he won the All Ireland colleges with Nenagh CBS.

Tbf to Allen and his selectors they did remain on the sideline at halftime and were slated for it because Limerick ultimately lost the game, however James Horan did the exact same thing the week after when Mayo were in trouble at half time against Tyrone, and because they eventualy won the game, he was praised for leaving it up to the players to realise what they had done in the first half wasn't good enough etc.

It's a very thin line between perceived sucess and failure and both the media and supporters are exclusively results based in their analysis.

I wasn't aware Horan did that v Tyrone. I'm not sure it's a wise thing to do.

If Sheedy doesn't go for it, maybe bring Cregan back,,,,3rd time lucky.

I'd agree with this that we should fear no one but we do tend to struggle after a good season. Look at 2008 after the AI the year before and after we lost to Tipp in 2001 in the Munster final.
    I think/hope that won't happen again. We have a much younger panel and more competition for places this year for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Carey on the telly - says the manager is picked and only selectors to be decided !!!

I think/hope that won't happen again. We have a much younger panel and more competition for places this year for a start.

Yeah the more I think of it we've been playing into at least the weekend in July for the past three years so arguably we've established ourselves as a top six county. The draw in Munster could be crucial. Waterford in a semi final and then a crack at Clare on a revenge mission in the Munster final!

Yeah the more I think of it we've been playing into at least the weekend in July for the past three years so arguably we've established ourselves as a top six county. The draw in Munster could be crucial. Waterford in a semi final and then a crack at Clare on a revenge mission in the Munster final!
    I'd nearly prefer not to get the draw to the semi, the more matches this team plays the better they'll get!

Carey on the telly - says the manager is picked and only selectors to be decided !!!

Keep an eye on PP website, we'll know soon.

I told the punters in the Rugby forum who was going to be Lions captain as I watched Warburton's price shorten as the leak was made.

Sheedy gone down to 6/5, and Cunningham down to 6/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Saw that, decision seems to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

A lot of talk tonight in Tipp circles that Sheedy is takin a career break and will be over Limerick next year, if this is true it is some coup for Limerick but it will also create awful bad feeling within Tipp and won't go down well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

A lot of talk tonight in Tipp circles that Sheedy is takin a career break and will be over Limerick next year, if this is true it is some coup for Limerick but it will also create awful bad feeling within Tipp and won't go down well at all.
    They used a J.P. lever in the coup! :D

Sheedy is into 10/11. JP would most definitely be bankrolling that career break.

Sheedy is into 10/11. JP would most definitely be bankrolling that career break.

That's probably it sealed so. We saw it at 6/4, it looked a very short price, once it went to 6/5, it looked nailed on. Kiely and the others drifting. Book will probably be suspended tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Is that regarding leaving Tipperary due to job commitments and how they've suddenly disappeared? Maybe but Sheedy is idolised here and people will not forget 2010 in a hurry. Personally I won't bear a grudge. He's returning to hurling (if he is) and it's surely good for Limerick.

Is that regarding leaving Tipperary due to job commitments and how they've suddenly disappeared? Maybe but Sheedy is idolised here and people will not forget 2010 in a hurry. Personally I won't bear a grudge. He's returning to hurling (if he is) and it's surely good for Limerick.

I couldn't see why Tipp folk would hold it against him. He prob would get offered more cash than his day job. Daly is on around €125K, the Limk job is similar.

I couldn't see why Tipp folk would hold it against him. He prob would get offered more cash than his day job. Daly is on around €125K, the Limk job is similar.

So he is on over 2k a week? Not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Whoa! Are you sure? That's an astonishing amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Not sure about this, sheedy means we have to win the AI in one year, that brings its own pressures, not sure id have preferred cunningham on a 2 year deal.

Interestingly the panel seem to be bringing the selectors in, hopefully there are no personality clashes and that their isnt too much political within the selectors as obviously one of them will fancy their chances of taking over post sheedy.

I think id prefer some pat tierney from dromballygonowhere involved who knows plenty but has no ambition rather than a name.

So he is on over 2k a week? Not a hope
    Whoa! Are you sure? That's an astonishing amount.

Absolutely.

It's 1 reason why I wasn't pleased to see the GAA throw so much money at Dub hurling. It is the most lucrative job in GAA.

• Advertisement

Not sure about this, sheedy means we have to win the AI in one year, that brings its own pressures, not sure id have preferred cunningham on a 2 year deal.

Interestingly the panel seem to be bringing the selectors in, hopefully there are no personality clashes and that their isnt too much political within the selectors as obviously one of them will fancy their chances of taking over post sheedy.

I think id prefer some pat tierney from dromballygonowhere involved who knows plenty but has no ambition rather than a name.

Is it just me or have expectations within Limerick gone mad altogether? I don't see why it would have to mean that. It took him 3 to win one with Tipp who had a lot more underage success to build from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement