Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

It had been confirmed for kilarney. Last champ match between sides was in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Disappointed that its not Cork, i feel we would have been in with a great chance of doing them over in the GG. Kerry in Killarney is a tough one, really hard to see us winning it, i'm expecting us to put up one hell of a battle but fall short by 4-5 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

grenache wrote: »
    Disappointed that its not Cork, i feel we would have been in with a great chance of doing them over in the GG. Kerry in Killarney is a tough one, really hard to see us winning it, i'm expecting us to put up one hell of a battle but fall short by 4-5 points.

Grenache,Positive thinking please!!None of this falling short by 4-5 points thank you very much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I've listed below the players who won't be available under Justin McCarthy. Barring major county board idiocy (which is always a large probability in this county), Justin will be gone by the end of the year. These are the 23 players and the age they will turn in 2011.

How many of the following players will be worth having on our county panel next year?

Mark Foley (36)
    Ollie Moran (36)
    Donie Ryan (34)
    Mike O'Brien (34)
    Damien Cosgrave (32)
    Donncha Sheehan (32)
    Brian Geary (31)
    David Bulfin (31)
    Mark O'Riordan (31)
    Stephen Lucey (31)
    Donal O'Grady (30)
    Damien Reale (29)
    Eoin Foley (29)
    Niall Moran (29)
    Andrew O'Shaughnessy (27)
    Brian Murray (27)
    Stephen Walsh (26)
    Denis Moloney (25)
    Wayne McNamara (25)
    Gavin O'Mahony (24)
    James Ryan (24)
    Séamus Hickey (24)
    Tom Condon (24)

14 of the 23 will turn 29 or older next year, so we've probably seen the last of the vast majority of those 14. We can probably take it as a given that Mark Foley, Ollie Moran, Damien Cosgrave, Mike O'Brien, Donie Ryan and Donncha Sheehan will never play for Limerick again. I would confidently add Bulfin and Eoin Foley to that list.

So who do you think will we need next year?!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

I would say we will need:

Brian Geary
    Mark O'Riordan
    Stephen Lucey
    Donal O'Grady
    Damien Reale
    Niall Moran
    Andrew O'Shaughnessy
    Brian Murray
    Stephen Walsh
    Denis Moloney
    Gavin O'Mahony
    James Ryan
    Séamus Hickey
    Tom Condon

And you can add to that:
    Pat Tobin,
    Kevin Tobin
    Seanie Tobin(Best forward in the county champ this year)
    Pat kirby
    Declan Hannon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Reale
    Geary
    Lucey
    Dodge
    Moran
    Walsh
    Moloney (Fierce unlucky with injuries)
    O'Mahoney
    Ryan
    Condon
    Hickey

These guys would be the ones I'd bring back. Even if Justin stays I hope the lads here might have a change of heart next year and put the shoulder to the wheel for the good of Limerick hurling but there's too much bad blood there I'd say. The whole situation is a charity case really.

Many round here heading down actually? I'm stuck in Dublin but I'll be able to save my money for a good weekend down in Killarney:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Browney, me and my da are going down tomorrow :) Was working in my da's shop yesterday and sure when anyone came in, ya had to ask whether or not they were heading down to cork tomorrow seeing as there's a couple of lads from the area playing tomorrow like. Ah, I'd say from the load I asked, 4/5 said they were :/

Serious loss of faith and you'd notice the lack of limerick flags around. Sad tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

Justin McCarthy has to go! No harm to the young fellas who pulled on the green jersey but the game was never a contest. McCarthy cowardly refused to do a post match interview, leaving a poor unfortunate young player to go out and face the music. Not good enough. :mad: Fair play to Daithi Regan and the rest of TV3s panel for calling it how it is over this farce. Also fair play to whoever organised that banner in the ground aswell. Disgraceful from both McCarthy and Limerick county board for letting this shambles fester. McCarthy is an enemy of Limerick hurling!

I usually go to all Limericks C'ship hurling games but was one of the many who stayed away today in protest.

Sorry for the rant folks but I needed to vent. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Justin McCarthy has to go! No harm to the young fellas who pulled on the green jersey but the game was never a contest. McCarthy cowardly refused to do a post match interview, leaving a poor unfortunate young player to go out and face the music. Not good enough. :mad: Fair play to Daithi Regan and the rest of TV3s panel for calling it how it is over this farce. Also fair play to whoever organised that banner in the ground aswell. Disgraceful from both McCarthy and Limerick county board for letting this shambles fester. McCarthy is an enemy of Limerick hurling!

I usually go to all Limericks C'ship hurling games but was one of the many who stayed away today in protest.

Sorry for the rant folks but I needed to vent. :o

Get a grip! Total crap from you there...to claim Justin is an enemy to Limerick hurling is down right thick.The man had to change things after the hammering in last years semi...he planned on putting more youth in with some experienced players..a bit like Clare are doing now..however the players threw out their toys when they where dropped.Others dropped out in support of these traitors and Justin was left with the situation he has now.Blame the players and go away with your Cork man trying to ruin Limerick/The players from limerick are always right attitude.

Get a grip! Total crap from you there...to claim Justin is an enemy to Limerick hurling is down right thick.The man had to change things after the hammering in last years semi...he planned on putting more youth in with some experienced players..a bit like Clare are doing now..however the players threw out their toys when they where dropped.Others dropped out in support of these traitors and Justin was left with the situation he has now.Blame the players and go away with your Cork man trying to ruin Limerick/The players from limerick are always right attitude.

If someone needs to get a grip here its yourself!!!

I'll add a bit- I disagree with much of what you say, as you are refusing to see this mess from all sides.

To call them "traitors" is wrong and I feel you should withdraw that. You have no right to say things like that. You shouldn't say anything about anyone on an internet forum that you wouldn't be willing to say to their face.

Maybe you would say it to their face but I can imagine a fella like Brian Geary or Mark Foley would very quickly put you back in your place.

These are guys who have done a lot more for Limerick hurling than you or I, so to call them traitors is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Relax people. Take a look at the forum charter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79500 , dont want to hand out infractions but it looks like it could head that way.

Cheers.

jordainius wrote: »
    If someone needs to get a grip here its yourself!!!
    Classy comment i explained why existential needed to get a grip unlike yourself who offers no explanation as to why i need to "get a grip".Unless you can back up what you say don't get involved.

Classy comment i explained why existential needed to get a grip unlike yourself who offers no explanation as to why i need to "get a grip".Unless you can back up what you say don't get involved.

Ok, you need to get a grip because you called a group of 23 players with over 400 championship games between them for my county; "traitors".

That's uncalled for. They have done more for our county than you or I, so you have no right to say that.

In fact about 10 of them have won Under 21 All-Irelands for Limerick, to call them traitors is terrible. Yes, they are "only" under 21 All-Irelands, but it gave the county a massive boost at the time.

Ok, you need to get a grip because you called a group of 23 players with over 400 championship games between them for my county; "traitors".

That's uncalled for. They have done more for our county than you or I, so you have no right to say that.

In fact about 10 of them have won Under 21 All-Irelands for Limerick, to call them traitors is terrible. Yes, they are "only" under 21 All-Irelands, but it gave the county a massive boost at the time.

When they walked out on the Jersey to fulfill their own egoistic believes they became traitors to the county.How any Limerick man/woman/Child can side with these rebels is beyond me.They did a lot for the county there's no denying that but when they walked out on their county they became traitors as they refused to play when requested by their County.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

Just calling it like I see it. As it happens the panel on TV3 which consisted of Daithi Regan, Liam Griffin, and Jamesie O Connor, 3 respected GAA pundits are all pretty much saying the same thing as me ie that McCarthy should go as hes dragging a good hurling county down. If he really cared about Limerick hurling he'd step aside for the greater good. The players are not blameless in all this, far from it but McCarthy is a major part of the problem and its much remiss of yourself not acknowledge this glaring fact. He must get the sack or else Limerick County board are a useless bunch of gombeens who are prepared to oversee the destruction of Limerick hurling.

When they walked out on the Jersey to fulfill their own egoistic believes they became traitors to the county.How any Limerick man/woman/Child can side with these rebels is beyond me.They did a lot for the county there's no denying that but when they walked out on their county they became traitors as they refused to play when requested by their County.

They didn't walk out on the county. 12 players with 267 championship appearances between them were pushed without so much as a thank you for their services. Only one- Mark Foley; was informed.

12 more gradually left because to cut a very long story short (and yes; it is a VERY long story, nowhere near as short as you seem to think); they lost confidence in a manager who wasn't listening to them.

I could explain the full story to you but I couldn't be bothered putting in the time it would require to write the massive post it would require.

One of two things is happening here; either you know the full story but are so anti-player that you are burying your head in the sand and ignoring everything they have said over the last 9 months,
    or you don't know the full story at all yet for some reason you have formed very strong opinions despite being ignorant of the full facts.

It is not as simple as you want to make it out to be. And to be honest I have no interest in debating with somebody who will call these 23 men traitors and rebels.

Flynn

Reale, Lucey, Condon

O'Mahoney, Geary, Moloney

Dodge, Hickey

Moran, James Ryan, AN Other

Tom O'Brien, Paudie Mac, Graeme Mulcahy

Looking at this we do need Most of the players from last year back but hopefully both sides see sense and put an end to this sorry mess once and for all.

There is wrong on both sides here. Justin should have told the players they wouldn't be automatically back next year because he wanted to hold open trials for maybe 60 odd players or something and that he wanted to experiment in the league. The board shouldn't have said a lot of things that they did say. The players should have respected the decision of the clubs in backing McCarthy after they said they would leave it for the clubs to decide.

It's a sorry mess and I feel that Croke park should have tried to intervene instead of saying it is a Limerick issue. It was a GAA issue because hurling in Limerick city is in dire straits and todays match should have attracted around 40000 people yet only 14000 odd turned up.At an Average price of 20 quid a ticket that equals around half a million quid not to mention what it would have brought to the local economy.

Limerick hurling (I know the footballers are badly supported) supporters are a proud bunch of people often travelling to games they knew there was little hope of winning because they love hurling. 2007 came and went and the hype in the county was unbelievable with around 50000 in croker wearing their beloved green and white and 10000 people lined the streets of Limerick to welcome the lads home to try to motivate them for the year after.

Limerick hurling supporters are suffering since 1973 with only our 90's glory days and the odd cut and thrust of championship hurling when we went out and had a go no matter who we played providing any respite in the mean time.

Limerick hurling people deserve better:(

In all fairness, they aren't obliged to play for Limerick.

Same in which, they can't claim a jersey every year on the panel.

Traitors or not, Limerick is in need of these hurlers back.
    And no matter how much pride they showed today (fair play to them btw :) Tommy O' Brien was fantastic!), we won't be winning any silverware with this current team (and that's a county's main objective, isn't it?) because moral victories can only go so far.
    Justin has to go... it's inevitable.

People who go to these matches (or want to go but can't bear to see their 3rd string team defeated over and over and sadly that's the reality) and the players suffering these defeats are the ones caught in the middle and just want everything to be back the way it was (or moreso..improved!).

One of two things is happening here; either you know the full story but are so anti-player that you are burying your head in the sand and ignoring everything they have said over the last 9 months,
    or you don't know the full story at all yet for some reason you have formed very strong opinions despite being ignorant of the full facts.

The players where axed after a mauling in Croke Park which was another failure for this bunch of failures who have brought no Senior Success in years.Justin decided change was needed and went about setting up a team.He has no need to tell the dropped players anything you swear they had won something in their career, but they used this lame excuse as a reason to try and stay on for another year or two and bring more failure to the county.They may have said things in the past 9 months but nothing about training was mentioned before the Tipp Semi, if they where as serious about Limerick Hurling as they claim to be i would of thought this would have been brought up.The Traitors then brought it up to save their own bacon.They walked out on Limerick GAA and history will judge them as Traitors to their County...They should hang their head in shame they are to blame for the county's situation.

The players where axed after a mauling in Croke Park which was another failure for this bunch of failures who have brought no Senior Success in years.Justin decided change was needed and went about setting up a team.He has no need to tell the dropped players anything you swear they had won something in their career, but they used this lame excuse as a reason to try and stay on for another year or two and bring more failure to the county.They may have said things in the past 9 months but nothing about training was mentioned before the Tipp Semi, if they where as serious about Limerick Hurling as they claim to be i would of thought this would have been brought up.The Traitors then brought it up to save their own bacon.They walked out on Limerick GAA and history will judge them as Traitors to their County...They should hang their head in shame they are to blame for the county's situation.

SpecialOne I can see you are disappointed with the current situation and are a Limerick hurling fan but I think you are way off the mark calling them all traitors.

To be honest it's common decency to tell players if they are wanted or not. How would you feel if you burst your gut in training all year and then aren't told you are no longer wanted. What the f**k was the liason officer doing?? The problem here was not Justin it was the county board. A similar powder keg situation was resolved in Clare at the start of this year.

Yes they have won nothing in the last 10 years but to be fair to them they always went out and had a go in nearly all their games (Offaly game in Limerick and the disaster in Ennis aside which I place on the door of Joe McKenna). We have players with great ability and I know the general feeling of anger that people have. People are thinking "If they put as much effort into their games down through the years as they have this strike we'd have an all ireland".

I was in the Justin camp up until today but if you look at my earlier post the majority of our strongest starting team aren't playing. There are good honest lads on that team that played today that have a great attitude. Put them lads into a panel with experienced players like Geary, Dodge, Lucey and Reale and then great natural hurlers like Seamus Hickey and you'd have a team that would fear no one.

As it stands we have a team with honest lads with no intercounty experience that are having the bejasus beat out of them and any confidence in their own ability being slowly eroded and we are banished to the ranks of Christy Ring and Division 2 League for eternity. We have a good crop coming through witht he likes of Declan Hannon and Kevin Downes coming through the ranks. We can't allow this generation to waste away.

I think Loughnane had it spot on in the Sunday game saying to get former players like Houlihan, Carey and McDonagh and see how we get on. Then we will see whether or not the strikers are indeed unmanigable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Browney7 wrote: »
    I think Loughnane had it spot on in the Sunday game saying to get former players like Houlihan, Carey and McDonagh and see how we get on. Then we will see whether or not the strikers are indeed unmanigable.

I would only like players like that to be involved WITH an expeienced manager. Who says these players would be management material? I think as part of a 4 or 5 man commitee with a 'proper' manager would be the ideal situation - any other situation from the current one would be an improvement to be fair. I love when we play Limerick but there was absolutely no satisfaction in winning today, I hope when we play ye again the sense of satisfaction will have returned.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would only like players like that to be involved WITH an expeienced manager. Who says these players would be management material? I think as part of a 4 or 5 man commitee with a 'proper' manager would be the ideal situation - any other situation from the current one would be an improvement to be fair. I love when we play Limerick but there was absolutely no satisfaction in winning today, I hope when we play ye again the sense of satisfaction will have returned.

I'd agree with you there alright Shamo. The next few months will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Demotion to the Christy Ring cup will change things in Limerick Hurling. I cannot see them winning any match this year. Cork did not performed well yesterday, they did not have to. The best Cork had to hope for yesterday is not to have injuries for the Munster Final with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Any word on our minor hurlers tonight?

pajoguy wrote: »
    Any word on our minor hurlers tonight?

Lost by 2 points.

1-17 to 2-12.

*sigh*

Many heading to Killarney on Sunday?? Can't wait for it myself. Hopefully we go out and have a right good crack off the Kingdom and maybe, just maybe we bring home the Munster title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Browney7 wrote: »
    Many heading to Killarney on Sunday?? Can't wait for it myself. Hopefully we go out and have a right good crack off the Kingdom and maybe, just maybe we bring home the Munster title.

I really hope a good crowd go down to support the boys, and Ive a feeling they will... maybe even out number Kerry who normally wait till All Ireland day now :rolleyes:

best of luck limerick... roll on Sunday

I've noticed a bit less hype around West Limerick for the Munster final compared to last year. I think thats a good thing though as you don't want the players getting overexcited. Cool,calm, and very focused is what we want to be :)

I think we have a lot of advantages over last year. Winning the Division 4 final, while in itself wasn't a massive achievement, I think it gave the lads a big boost in confidence compared to demotion last year.
    Our subs bench has swelled a good bit from last year. Psychologically,its a good boost to know there are players such as Eoghan O'Connor, Eoin Joy and Conor Fitzgerald that can make a big impact when they come on.

I think If John Galvin and Jim O'Donovan bring their best performances on Sunday then we'l win at midfield. I presume Johnny Mc will be on Gooch? Whose gonna be on Donaghy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I agree with the Division 4 title being a big confidence booster, silverware always helps a teams self esteem.
    I expect it will be either Conor Mullane or Shane Gallagher to mark Donaghy. My money is on Mullane owing to his size and more physical nature. I would expect a good deal more green shirted fans at this years final than in Cork last year. Limerick fans always travel in numbers to Killarney, that was the case in '91, '03 and '04 anyway. In fact in the latter two finals, Limerick fans out-numbered those of Kerry.

As for the game itself, as positive as i am with how our team is beginning to finally gel, its still hard not to see anything other than a Kingdom victory. I believe we have the winning of the midfield battle. I expect Kerry to start Anthony Maher there, given his performances when introduced against Cork. He's an out-standing talent, but his partnership with Seamus Scanlon will take time to fully develop. In the meantime, John Galvin and Jim O'Donovan look very solid and seem to complement each other. They are two of the best fielders of a ball in the country. They both had good leagues and performed well against Waterford. So this is one area we should certainly look to win and launch quick ball from.

Another area we should look to exploit is the Kerry half forward line. Paul Galvin is a massive loss to them. He's always good for two-three points per game but its his defensive qualities and his tracking back to help his midfield that Kerry will miss most. Our half back line has always been an area of strength for us, and with Lavin, Lucey and Ranahan there this year its no different. Both wing backs like to get forward and both can defend so if Lucey can hold his own against Declan O'Sullivan, then we'll be doing well. The problem comes in the forwards, although Ian Ryan and Ger Collins in particular have really blossomed into decent forwards, i fear there's not an even spread of sufficient scores throughout the front six to actually win the game. Kerry's front three wont be as shy.

• Advertisement

If any of you are on facebook,you can join the Limerick GAA football supporters page, and post up some support messages for Sunday :)

Link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=264848179930

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement