Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is that regarding leaving Tipperary due to job commitments and how they've suddenly disappeared? Maybe but Sheedy is idolised here and people will not forget 2010 in a hurry. Personally I won't bear a grudge. He's returning to hurling (if he is) and it's surely good for Limerick.

Of cousrse, he insisted that he simply didn't have the time to commit to the Tipp job, but now suddenly JP comes in with the blank cheque and its not a problem, personally I tend to reserve my respect for non mercanary types!

And yes you are right of course it is great for Limerick, but again Im not comfortable with the fact they can merely pick whatever manager they want , not because they have ran an extremely efficent ship but simply because they have a rich benefactor like JP, compare this to the situation Waterford find themselves in, it's all abit too much like the premiership for me.

This is all on the assumption of course that Sheedy is taking the job. He was stiill adamant up to two weeks ago that he would only consider the Tipp job and possibly the Dublin job for logistical reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Of cousrse, he insisted that he simply didn't have the time to commit to the Tipp job, but now suddenly JP comes in with the blank cheque and its not a problem, personally I tend to reserve my respect for non mercanary types!

And yes you are right of course it is great for Limerick, but again Im not comfortable with the fact they can merely pick whatever manager they want , not because they have ran an extremely efficent ship but simply because they have a rich benefactor like JP, compare this to the situation Waterford find themselves in, it's all abit too much like the premiership for me.

This is all on the assumption of course that Sheedy is taking the job. He was stiill adamant up to two weeks ago that he would only consider the Tipp job and possibly the Dublin job for logistical reasons.

Well there are 2 factors. He may have felt he needed a break with Tipp/hurling, and now he has had that.

But it's well known the 2 highest paid jobs are dub/limk. You said he was interested in the dublin job, and now if he takes the Limk job, you'd have to say money is a big part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Is it just me or have expectations within Limerick gone mad altogether? I don't see why it would have to mean that. It took him 3 to win one with Tipp who had a lot more underage success to build from.

If it is sheedy there certainly will be plenty of media hype, "can he get 1st all ireland in 41 years etc" plus a 1 year deal with what many would see as the possible coach means its something of a now or never situation, the one year aspect of it brings pressure. No the whole county wont be thinking the Ai is now a fait accompli there's plenty of scope for us to feck things up

Maybe there wasnt the possibility to engineer a 1 year career break at the time and now that possibility is there - we really dont know his circumstances. When he says the only options were dub and tipp im sure that was with combining work and coaching the year off makes lim a possibility.

As for JP come on te feck, thats a bit of luck same as being lucky enough to have a city of 70k thats rugby obsessed (and soccer too) them's the breaks, personally id take hurling being the city's no 1 sport over JP's cash anyday.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Well there are 2 factors. He may have felt he needed a break with Tipp/hurling, and now he has had that.

But it's well known the 2 highest paid jobs are dub/limk. You said he was interested in the dublin job, and now if he takes the Limk job, you'd have to say money is a big part of it.

He said he would consider the Dublin position as he is based there for work and it would be doable and he would consider the Tipp job as that's where he's heart is, but if these rumors are true that was all boll*x and money is he's biggest concern.

When he left Tipp he never mentioned anything about needing a break he simply said work commitments didn't allow for him to continue, he has since been promoted to a role with more responsibility but now looks willing to jump ship, all very dodgy to me or do people really believe that the development of Limerick hurling is high on a Portroe natives agenda?? If this happens it is quite simply all about the money.

• Advertisement

As for JP come on te feck, thats a bit of luck same as being lucky enough to have a city of 70k thats rugby obsessed (and soccer too) them's the breaks, personally id take hurling being the city's no 1 sport over JP's cash anyday.

I think you have misunderstood me Paddy, I bear absolutely no ill feeling to Limerick on this, they would be fools to not use he's money jaysus I wish we had a similar benefactor here in Tipp, god knows we could do with a few bob.

But it goes against everything I love about the GAA tbh, I would hate to see the day where a game or a championship is decided by who has the most money, and unfortunately we are heading that way, if we are not there already!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was watching Championship Matters last night,besides the two fine Camoige ladies that were on,the great Ciaran Carey was on as well,would he be a good choice to take over from John Allen? Or even as a selector??

If not then the Sunday Game should sign him up for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

He said he would consider the Dublin position as he is based there for work and it would be doable and he would consider the Tipp job as that's where he's heart is, but if these rumors are true that was all boll*x and money is he's biggest concern.

When he left Tipp he never mentioned anything about needing a break he simply said work commitments didn't allow for him to continue, he has since been promoted to a role with more responsibility but now looks willing to jump ship, all very dodgy to me or do people really believe that the development of Limerick hurling is high on a Portroe natives agenda?? If this happens it is quite simply all about the money.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Sheedy: are you honestly saying that if you were offered 125k/ yr (or whatever figure is being thrown around), that on principle you wouldn't take it???

Also, I don't think it'll go like the Premiership because you can't "buy" players (alledgedly except maybe Seanie Johnson!!!). This was in the Examiner during the week:www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/kieran-shannon-why-they-appreciate-the-little-things-in-clare-242484.html
    Underage is surely where the (correct) efforts should be focussed. A good manager is a help but he can only manage what's in the County.

Was watching Championship Matters last night,besides the two fine Camoige ladies that were on,the great Ciaran Carey was on as well,would he be a good choice to take over from John Allen? Or even as a selector??

If not then the Sunday Game should sign him up for next year.

Jaysus, didn't notice Ciaran on the panel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

He said that when he left in 2010. He may be taking a job in limerick in 2014, I think Paddy is fair in saying circumstances could have changed.

• Advertisement

I think you're being a bit harsh on Sheedy: are you honestly saying that if you were offered 125k/ yr (or whatever figure is being thrown around), that on principle you wouldn't take it???

Also, I don't think it'll go like the Premiership because you can't "buy" players (alledgedly except maybe Seanie Johnson!!!). This was in the Examiner during the week:www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/kieran-shannon-why-they-appreciate-the-little-things-in-clare-242484.html
    Underage is surely where the (correct) efforts should be focussed. A good manager is a help but he can only manage what's in the County.

maybe I am being a bit harsh on Sheedy - all abit too close to home maybe! Im sure as a neutral it looks perfectly acceptable, I'm still abit shell shocked I guess :D

Agreed it will never go full circle like the premiership, but there is no denying there are elements of it coming into play, you mention that the underage structures are where the efforts need to be focused and of course you are 110% right, but alas those efforts cost money and thiose with the most money will have an edge here, just look at the money that has been ploughed into Dublin hurling in the last 10-15 years and its now begining to bear fruit, I heard a few weeks back the money that was invested into this years Limerick minor team and it was frightening tbh. It was no wonder Jerry Wallace wanted to continue training for another few weeks!

He said that when he left in 2010. He may be taking a job in limerick in 2014, I think Paddy is fair in saying circumstances could have changed.

They haven't he actually has a more high profile job now with more responsibilities and requires more time away from home, I know the guy who he replaced very well.

I think you have misunderstood me Paddy, I bear absolutely no ill feeling to Limerick on this, they would be fools to not use he's money jaysus I wish we had a similar benefactor here in Tipp, god knows we could do with a few bob.

But it goes against everything I love about the GAA tbh, I would hate to see the day where a game or a championship is decided by who has the most money, and unfortunately we are heading that way, if we are not there already!

I agree with the sentiments, id be very cynical about pro sports and being amateur is what puts GAA ahead of them, i dont want to see it go all premiership either. Hence why im trying to give sheedy the benefit of the doubt by saying he could take a year out that maybe wasnt available previously. Really though, deep down, id prefer cunningham and keep it in house.

Actually thought Ciaran was good on the panel last night, better than a share of pundits that you'd see.

Oh and good luck to the camogie

Agreed it will never go full circle like the premiership, but there is no denying there are elements of it coming into play, you mention that the underage structures are where the efforts need to be focused and of course you are 110% right, but alas those efforts cost money and thiose with the most money will have an edge here, just look at the money that has been ploughed into Dublin hurling in the last 10-15 years and its now begining to bear fruit, I heard a few weeks back the money that was invested into this years Limerick minor team and it was frightening tbh. It was no wonder Jerry Wallace wanted to continue training for another few weeks!

I'm in Dublin and help out with an underage team. In our club, we don't get a lot of money but have the services of a GPO who, to be honest, we don't see very often. We had the unquestionable privilege of having Paudie Butler visit a couple of times and the man is an absolute inspiration. I don't think any amount of money can buy the type of enthusiasm he exudes: this rubs off on the players (and coaches) as well. I'd much rather have enthusiastic coaches, albeit teaching the right things (the 6 speeds!), than a load of money...

Did someone here or another thread say there was 20+ people involved with the clare side, as you say it all seems a bit much, wont be long before some county boards are running significant losses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

They haven't he actually has a more high profile job now with more responsibilities and requires more time away from home, I know the guy who he replaced very well.

I can understand why a Tipp man would be disappointed, but no one from Tipp would be disappointed if Declan Ryan came to Limk ! ;)

It can only be a matter of time before players demand a slice of the pie.

Is Davy Fitz full time in Clare?

I'm in Dublin and help out with an underage team. In our club, we don't get a lot of money but have the services of a GPO who, to be honest, we don't see very often. We had the unquestionable privilege of having Paudie Butler visit a couple of times and the man is an absolute inspiration. I don't think any amount of money can buy the type of enthusiasm he exudes: this rubs off on the players (and coaches) as well. I'd much rather have enthusiastic coaches, albeit teaching the right things (the 6 speeds!), than a load of money...

Serious man is Paudie and its no coincidence that Drom -he's own club - are now one of the top two clubs in Tipp, despite having one of the smallest picks of any Senior Club. I was working in Dublin as far back as 2002 and I remember quitre a bit of unrest up there with regard to the amount of resources and money that was been invested by John Bailey in hurling and as they perceived it the neglect of football.
    Rightwing wrote: »
    I can understand why a Tipp man would be disappointed, but no one from Tipp would be disappointed if Declan Ryan came to Limk ! ;)

I ,unlike alot of my fellow county men have great time for Declan and feel he has been harshly treated tbh, the reality of the facts are that Declan won back to back minor AI's and then took a job that was really a hiding to nothing considering the only way was down and in he's two years in the job was only ever beaten twice both by what is rightly acknowledged as the greatest team of all time, he has been hung out to dry over the manner of the second half collapse in 2012. Sheedy made plenty of mistakes too over Tipp lets not forget and it took him 3 years to reach the summit aswell.

Serious man is Paudie and its no coincidence that Drom -he's own club - are now one of the top two clubs in Tipp, despite having one of the smallest picks of any Senior Club. I was working in Dublin as far back as 2002 and I remember quitre a bit of unrest up there with regard to the amount of resources and money that was been invested by John Bailey in hurling and as they perceived it the neglect of football.

Dedication and know-how is what it's all about. The Podge Collins's of this world didn't appear from coaches that want you to hit hard/ drive it as far as you can.
    Leg Speed, Hand Speed, Eye Speed, Mind Speed, Swing Speed, Reaction Speed are the things the need to be taught at underage level to make players available to Minor/ U21/ Senoir panels. Counties are wasting their money thinking that a great manager can suddenly produce players of brilliance out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

One every three years sounds good to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

When he left Tipp he never mentioned anything about needing a break he simply said work commitments didn't allow for him to continue.
    I'm hearing there were other reasons Sheedy left Tipp. And they weren't work related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

So stating absolutely is your proof? Does he get a payslip with that? How does he account for that money? Does he get it all in cash? Does he keep it under the bed? Nonsense....just talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

grenache wrote: »
    I'm hearing there were other reasons Sheedy left Tipp. And they weren't work related.

Pub talk as usual ..... did you have them verified or did you just listen and hear the usual gossip !:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

shawnee wrote: »
    Pub talk as usual ..... did you have them verified or did you just listen and hear the usual gossip !:confused:
    I heard from a source that would not normally come out with something like this. Chap who told me lives not far from Portroe. Did you not find it strange how Sheedy left the Tipp camp almost immediately after the '10 final?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I know we're getting a new manager in both codes, and the hurling manager in particular is being discussed a lot but we shouldn't ignore this weekend's matches.

Firstly, the camogie team under Joe Quaid are in the All-Ireland intermediate final. I don't know much about camogie really, but always wish for Limerick teams to do well so hopefully they can win tomorrow. :) We also have a referee, Ger O'Dowd, refereeing the senior camogie final.

Then we've got the senior hurling semi-finals, Kilmallock V Na Piarsaigh and Adare V Doon. Two interesting clashes.....you'd probably have to fancy Kilmallock in the former, Na Piarsaigh supposed to have a few injuries and Kilmallock are very strong. Still, with the likes of Downes and Dowling, Na Piarsaigh do have plenty of scoring potential. I think Doon will the other one, Adare have some very talented players but Doon have been motoring well all year, beat Na Piarsaigh, have a very young team and should have enough to beat Adare.

Lastly, a seeded Munster football draw. What the fcuk is that about? :mad: Absolute joke...how did we vote in favour of that?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I know we're getting a new manager in both codes, and the hurling manager in particular is being discussed a lot but we shouldn't ignore this weekend's matches.

Firstly, the camogie team under Joe Quaid are in the All-Ireland intermediate final. I don't know much about camogie really, but always wish for Limerick teams to do well so hopefully they can win tomorrow. :) We also have a referee, Ger O'Dowd, refereeing the senior camogie final.

Then we've got the senior hurling semi-finals, Kilmallock V Na Piarsaigh and Adare V Doon. Two interesting clashes.....you'd probably have to fancy Kilmallock in the former, Na Piarsaigh supposed to have a few injuries and Kilmallock are very strong. Still, with the likes of Downes and Dowling, Na Piarsaigh do have plenty of scoring potential. I think Doon will the other one, Adare have some very talented players but Doon have been motoring well all year, beat Na Piarsaigh, have a very young team and should have enough to beat Adare.

Lastly, a seeded Munster football draw. What the fcuk is that about? :mad: Absolute joke...how did we vote in favour of that?

Ah feck, was told kilmallock had injuries so I put the paddy power account on Na Piarsiagh.

Havent a bulls who'll win the other

Heading in now, hopefully the weather dies down a bit and we get 2 good games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ah feck, was told kilmallock had injuries so I put the paddy power account on Na Piarsiagh.

Havent a bulls who'll win the other

Heading in now, hopefully the weather dies down a bit and we get 2 good games

Apparently Kilmallock have injuries too... so who knows? Likely to be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Fireball07 wrote: »

And we proposed it!! The Tipp suggestion was the best I think. Two Munster finalists last year straight into semi finals so Clare, Waterford , Tipp and Limerick play the first round matches. Open draw then in the semis. That way the team playing Cork or Kerry have had a game but the Munster council have to maximise their revenue. Cork Kerry Munster finals are still a big draw especially in Killarney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Are they the amounts of money paid out published?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Anyone got results/ reports from semi finals today's?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement