Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Anyone got results/ reports from semi finals today's?

Na Piarsaigh 2-13 Kilmallock 2-12
    Adare 2-16 Doon 2-15

Kilmallock put the gloss on the scoreline by the looks of it as Downes got sent off with 8 mins left I think and Kilmallock were at least 5 behind at that stage.

Doon led for a lot of the other game, and looks like Adare did a bit of a smash and grab on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Anyone got results/ reports from semi finals today's?

I didn't get to go in the end, was listening on the radio.

Have to hold my hands up, got both my predictions wrong. Final scores were:
    Doon 2-15 Adare 2-17
    Kilmallock 2-12 Na Piarsaigh 2-13

Doon started very well, but were only 5 points up at half-time, possibly deserved to be further ahead... sounded like Mikey Ryan and Dean Coleman had the Adare full-back line under serious pressure. But Willie Griffin got a first-half goal, and Hannon was putting over some beautiful scores. Hannon seemed to be the difference really, got Adare's 2nd goal and Griffin got a couple of points late on to win by a couple. Sounded like Wayne Mac had a great game too. But the likes of Ryan, Coleman, Donovan, Maher, McNamara, Moloney all seemed to be in-form for Doon and were just maybe lacking someone of that extra bit of class like Hannon.

In the other one, Kilmallock only seemed to turn up in the last 10 minutes. Na Piarsaigh were up by 10 at half-time, Shane Dowling scored 1-3 from play in the first half from midfield, I think. Likes of Dave Dempsey, Kevin Ryan, Downes all seemed to be in good form too. Kilmallock got a bit of a fluky goal, Downes got sent off, then a late penalty from Gavin O'Mahony managed to pull it back to a point difference but couldn't get that final score. Both sides hit looooads of wides, from some handy frees too.....

Expect Na Piarsaigh to win the final now. Reports from people who were actually at the matches would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Adare v doon

Doon started with the big breeze and their FF line had adare on toast, they got 7 points up and had a huge oppoetunity that went over wold have put them 9 up, instead adare went down and scored a goal to put 4 in it, that along with an excellent display from placed balls from hannon kept it closer at half time than it probably should have been.

The second half was fantastic with Doon battling manfully against the wind, a second goal from hannon proved decisive, with the scores level adare's experience and ability under high ball won out over a younger doon side.

Ref was excellent.

Wayne mac won the battle of CB's, as ever excellent in the air, cathal mac was less convincing for doon and for all our talk on here about the half back line, adare won plenty of ball off em, with Adare CF (a big man) dominating.

Hannon rotated between both lines and was pretty damn good all day (was best free taker all day) scored 1-4 ish from play.

In the end game cliiford moved out from corner back and was excellent and fizgibbon who played midfield scored an excellent point (1of 2 in a good performance) to push adare over the line.

For doon, great effort, and if they continue to develop it wont be long before they win the cup, mike fitz was excellent at midfield in the first half, moved in closer to goal in 2nd half and still played well.
    Their best player was maher at midfield, FF line was excellent in first half with cummins being the pick.

I have adare as favs to win the final, Na P might have the names but adare are a unit.

Well kilmallock pretty much didn't turn up, perhaps in the first half they like everyone else was just wondering how da feck John Allen didn't pick shane dowling for croke park the lad was by head and shoulders above the other 59 players who turned out today.

Na P cruised to a 10 point half time lead with goals from dowling and downes, kilmallock then compounded their lethargic start with a tactical meltdown. Dempsaey came on at HT for Na P and played as a sweeper, unbelievably kilmallock didn't go man to man and Dempsey cleaned up. A lucky goal gave kil a lifeline and they moved GOM to CF he won a penalty and buried it himself to bring it to 2 points. But it was too little too late. Kil definitely had injuries with egan only getting off crutches on Monday and it showed in his poor showing. Both mulcahys were poor and got feck all ball. Graeme needs 4+ months off. Not sure either recovered properly from knockainey game. Andrew shaugs should have been brought on his ability to link play might have got kilmallock an unlikely result.

James O'Brien was good as was the other Dempsey at half forward.

Final should be well worth a look for all neutrals.

Hourigan was over fussy in his reffing as ever and hopefully the fella who done the first game gets the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Both games heavily influenced by a very strong wind today, Adare finished strongly, goals from Willie Griffin and Declan Hannon who seems to be back on form after a difficut year, did well from placed balls and scored 1-9 overall. Michael Clifford steadied things for Adare at the back when brought on, and Adare didn't lead the game until the 60th minute. Their full back line looked vulnerable at times.

Doon are a fine hurling team, but I feel Adare's experience was the telling factor today, as in their game with Ballybrown, they didn't panic while behind and worked their way out of trouble.

The scoreline kind of flattered Kilmallock in the second game, Na Piarsaigh were clinging on at the finish, the wind was a major factor in this game, and both sides hit at least 10/12 wides when they had the wind, Kilmallock will rue many missed relatively straightforward placed balls, Shane Dowling stood out for Na Piarsaigh as did man of the match David Dempsey. David Breen did okay at centre back and James O'Brien continues to make me wonder how on earth he has yet to be included on the county panel, a giant of a man with bags of ability. Downes did okay but his dismissal for a second yellow with 9 minutes to go proved to be the catalyst for a late Kilmallock rally.

Na Piarsaigh should be slight favourites, but Adare have plenty of experience when it comes to county finals, this will be their 5th final in 6 years, and four or five of their players will be appearing in the county final for the 8th time! Their full back line is the weak link, and Na Piarsaigh are not a team you want to be playing with a weak last line of defence. Should be a good game, certainly won't be a repeat of the mismatch in the 2009 final ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Both games heavily influenced by a very strong wind today, Adare finished strongly, goals from Willie Griffin and Declan Hannon who seems to be back on form after a difficut year, did well from placed balls and scored 1-9 overall. Michael Clifford steadied things for Adare at the back when brought on, and Adare didn't lead the game until the 60th minute. Their full back line looked vulnerable at times.

Doon are a fine hurling team, but I feel Adare's experience was the telling factor today, as in their game with Ballybrown, they didn't panic while behind and worked their way out of trouble.

The scoreline kind of flattered Kilmallock in the second game, Na Piarsaigh were clinging on at the finish, the wind was a major factor in this game, and both sides hit at least 10/12 wides when they had the wind, Kilmallock will rue many missed relatively straightforward placed balls, Shane Dowling stood out for Na Piarsaigh as did man of the match David Dempsey. David Breen did okay at centre back and James O'Brien continues to make me wonder how on earth he has yet to be included on the county panel, a giant of a man with bags of ability. Downes did okay but his dismissal for a second yellow with 9 minutes to go proved to be the catalyst for a late Kilmallock rally.

Na Piarsaigh should be slight favourites, but Adare have plenty of experience when it comes to county finals, this will be their 5th final in 6 years, and four or five of their players will be appearing in the county final for the 8th time! Their full back line is the weak link, and Na Piarsaigh are not a team you want to be playing with a weak last line of defence. Should be a good game, certainly won't be a repeat of the mismatch in the 2009 final ;)
    Been saying that on O'Brien for a while now, surely he'll be involved next year. Disappointed Doon lost.

Hard luck to the camogie team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

PP are no longer displaying the odds for the nanagerial position.

Been saying that on O'Brien for a while now, surely he'll be involved next year. Disappointed Doon lost.

Hard luck to the camogie team.

Yeah O'Brien and Nicky need games at half back in league, no doubt.

GOM,
    DOG,
    JOB,

Potential half back line with Nicky and wayne mac in reserve, harsh on wayne mac, apparently DOG was excellent against effin the weekend in that cup thingy.

Interesting that bets have stopped, are we near an announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Yeah O'Brien and Nicky need games at half back in league, no doubt.

GOM,
    DOG,
    JOB,

Potential half back line with Nicky and wayne mac in reserve, harsh on wayne mac, apparently DOG was excellent against effin the weekend in that cup thingy.

Interesting that bets have stopped, are we near an announcement?
    Who knows if DOG will stay another year. I'd find it hard to drop Wayne Mc, he was exposed a bit at 6 this year but he is rarely exposed at 5, had two great seasons there before being moved into centre back. Seeing O'Brien on Na P's run to Munster two years ago I thought he would be the Limerick centre back by now, he's had trouble with injury since though I think. Could be caught for pace though and Clare and Cork seem to have knocked that up a notch this year.

Hope there's an announcement soon! I imagine Kilmallock's defeat will have knocked any thoughts of taking Considine, if they ever existed, on the head. Thank god. Sheedy would be excellent with some Limerick selectors. It would be great if Carey were involved again.

Good article in the independent over the weekend with the Clare u21 management. They made a bags of it in their first year with the minors and told the County Board as much, and then left no stone unturned to improve -if TJ Ryan and his selectors made the same efforts they should be left with the 21s.

Agree with that the problem positions are still down the middle we have plenty og good half backs but converting one to CB is the problem, im not sure who the right option is. JOB can definitely get a run at half back if not centre. He's about the same size as bugler and really he deserves a chance. At FF i'm tempted just to go with downes. Dowling was lethal yesterday but id have him at half, he's best breaking onto the ball.

The Adare rotation of Hannon from half to full was very effective yesterday. If he cam out for a free he stayed out and then on an Adare puck out he'd go back in to FF to let the big CF challenge for the puck out, Adare maximised the use of him yesterday and it paid off.

• Advertisement

The Adare rotation of Hannon from half to full was very effective yesterday. If he cam out for a free he stayed out and then on an Adare puck out he'd go back in to FF to let the big CF challenge for the puck out, Adare maximised the use of him yesterday and it paid off.

That is key... if we make the best use of Hannon for Limerick, we have a serious weapon on our hands. Similarly with Dowling, Mulcahy and Downes. Those 4 are as good as most forwards in the country on their day... just have to get them to be on their day more often.

I still quite like the idea of Doon's Moloney and McNamara getting a run-out in the league next season. And I definitely prefer DOG at midfield to centre-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Lastly, a seeded Munster football draw. What the fcuk is that about? :mad: Absolute joke...how did we vote in favour of that?

Obviously a vote/motion coming up in the near future that Limerick require support of Cork/Kerry in.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Which of these issues in relation to the hurling team is most important right now...

New manager....

Reinstatement of a ten team division 1 of the league.

John Kiely rules himself out and word on other forums are saying that Donal O'Grady is keen to return

Surely work is going on behind the scenes to attempt to get the league restructured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

pajoguy wrote: »
    Which of these issues in relation to the hurling team is most important right now...

New manager....

Reinstatement of a ten team division 1 of the league.

John Kiely rules himself out and word on other forums are saying that Donal O'Grady is keen to return

Surely work is going on behind the scenes to attempt to get the league restructured.

Well I did say Kiely was a joke @ 4/1. An absolute joke.

I wouldn't like to see O Grady return. Bring in Sheedy assuming he goes for it.

St. Pat's caused a bit of an upset today, beating Ballylanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Fireball07 wrote: »
    St. Pat's caused a bit of an upset today, beating Ballylanders.

Thanks Fireball, I was looking for that result on Hogan Stand (will be up by Tuesday probably).!!!:D

So the semi-finals are Drom-Broadford V Kierans.?
    Monaleen V Pats.?

Kierans,Pats and Monaleen were in the same group and have already played each other. Think Liam Ahearne was adamant on Limerick 95FM this morning that D/B are playing Kierans

All West semi will surely be in NCW.
    Where would you see the other played? Gaelic Grounds?

washman3 wrote: »
    Thanks Fireball, I was looking for that result on Hogan Stand (will be up by Tuesday probably).!!!:D

So the semi-finals are Drom-Broadford V Kierans.?
    Monaleen V Pats.?

Kierans,Pats and Monaleen were in the same group and have already played each other. Think Liam Ahearne was adamant on Limerick 95FM this morning that D/B are playing Kierans

All West semi will surely be in NCW.
    Where would you see the other played? Gaelic Grounds?

0-11 to 0-7 was the final score. Not a member on Hoganstand, but read it from time to time and whoever the user Prof. Honeydew is, he is possibly the most knowledgeable person I've seen on football in Limerick.

I don't know about the draw, I would have thought it was an open draw since Ballysteen and Ballylanders are both out, but I don't know for sure.

Gaelic Grounds would make sense if it was an all-city clash, but a double header would be nice too. People will want to see both, if the hurling can be a double header, don't see why the football can't either.

Either way, I expect Drom and Monaleen to make the final, both would seem to be a lot stronger than the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Semi finals in the SFC this weekend;

Monaleen v St Patricks, Sunday @ 4.00, in Claughaun
    Drom-Broadford v StKierans, Friday, 8.30, Mick Neville Park Rathkeale

Pity there won't be a double header. However, unless I'm very much mistaken, the Drom-B v StKierans game will be held as a double header with the Sean Finns v Mungret IFC semi final with a 7pm throw in.

They'd hardly give Sean Finns home advantage for a semi? Is Mick Neville Park designated as a county ground? I'd love to see Sean Finns promoted (how long is it since they played senior??) but St Senans have been strong enough this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Semi finals in the SFC this weekend;

Monaleen v St Patricks, Sunday @ 4.00, in Claughaun
    Drom-Broadford v StKierans, Friday, 8.30, Mick Neville Park Rathkeale

Pity there won't be a double header. However, unless I'm very much mistaken, the Drom-B v StKierans game will be held as a double header with the Sean Finns v Mungret IFC semi final with a 7pm throw in.

They'd hardly give Sean Finns home advantage for a semi? Is Mick Neville Park designated as a county ground? I'd love to see Sean Finns promoted (how long is it since they played senior??) but St Senans have been strong enough this year too.

A disgrace to play a county senior final in Neville Park. No stand whatsoever or even a raised bank for spectators to view a game. Mighy pitch alright but its so vast an open there is zero atmosphere there. No wonder Limerick football is where it is when the Gombeens in charge make a decision like this.
    Could this game have been played on Sunday in NCW.? fine pitch and facilities,plenty parking and always a good atmosphere.
    Neville Park is not Sean Finns home ground.!! the Bog Garden, just down the road is, same as Croke Park is not Dublins home venue.

Drom were losing at half-time, but pulled away in the 2nd half, winning by 1-15 to 0-12. You'd expect Monaleen to join them in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

Volvic12 wrote: »
    Candidates as listed on Paddy Power:

Liam Sheedy (6/4) - Doesn't look likely given his work commitments. Can't argue with his CV as an All-Ireland winning manager but can't see it happening.

John Kiely (10/3) - Is a Limerick man and I fully agree that he would bring continuity but hasn't had success of much note at manager level. Could he inspire these young players and bring them to next level. I personally don't think so.

Ger Cunningham (6/1) - CV is impressive but have always considered him a coach moreso than a manager. Doesn't look likely given his supposed commitment to Laois but if County board came knocking, it might be too hard to resist - possibility.

Donal Og Cusack (15/2) - Speaks well and you would imagine that he has the skillset and knowledge to be a good modern manager. However lack of experience is a serious negative. Can't see it happening but would welcome if it did.

TJ Ryan (9/1) - Limerick man and knows the club scene inside out. Has performed reasonably well as a manager at club level and has served as a selector with Limerick. However, would have to seriously question the performance of a talented U-21 team this year. Would like to see him involved as selector but have the feeling he would want more.

Ciaran Carey (9/1) - One of Limericks All time greats but good players do not always make good managers. Not for me.

Others:
    Donal O Grady (10/1) - Can't see him returning
    Gary Kirby (12/1) - Hasn't achieved enough as a manager
    Leo O Connor (14/1) - Bit of a mess with 21s last year. Wounds too fresh.
    Tony Considine (16/1) - Although he knows the club seen inside out and has had relative success with Kilmallock, don't think he is up to it.
    Ger "Sparrow" O Loughlin - Had great success with Adare and knows club scene well. Always seems to have his teams ready for a battle but always looked short of bringing teams to next level - whether with Adare in Munster or as manager at Clare.

Other Fancies:
    Martin Fogarty (no price quoted) - Left Kilkenny management set-up this year after a number of years involved. In line to be next Kilkenny manager but who knows when that will be so might fancy a crack now. Serious operator.
    Pat Herbert (16/1) - Could have a great chance. CV is very impressive and rated pretty highly around the country. Had a good year in Wexford last year with Oulart.

Anyone any other thoughts on real possibilities?
    Thats as far as I see it above.

First task for new manager - Get Paul Kinnerk on board ASAP.

shockframe wrote: »
    First task for new manager - Get Paul Kinnerk on board ASAP.

He with clare?

So Clare are simply brilliant and could go to do 5 in a row, seriously.

Think there win makes our season a little better, though realistically we didn't push them into 5th gear on the day. still think we can have a great year next if we get the right team management, any news on that front, happy to hear any unfounded rumours you may have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

So Clare are simply brilliant and could go to do 5 in a row, seriously.

Think there win makes our season a little better, though realistically we didn't push them into 5th gear on the day. still think we can have a great year next if we get the right team management, any news on that front, happy to hear any unfounded rumours you may have heard.

Can't see 5 in a row, at least cork might be a bit scarred after this, as are Galway since last year, hopefully its limerick, Clare and Dublin over the next few years.

One Consolation is Clare were never a bogey team for limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

relaxed wrote: »
    Can't see 5 in a row

Can't see it either, their all-action style will take its toll, and require the same level of intense preparation year after year; nobody knows if the motivation for multiple titles will remain.

Fair play to them though, they can already be regarded as a special generation.

If Clare defended like they did today against us, I think we might have beaten them. Obviously a real strength that they can adapt their styles.

They have some very talented hurlers, but they're not KK..... I don't think they're a team we'd fear next season. Hopefully we get the right manager in.

I agree that that level of intensity would be hard to maintain but they easily have the most talented bunch of hurlers in the country and to have 1 all Ireland with their age profile is an amazing achievement - i'll revise down to 3 of the next 10 all Irelands so.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

I agree that that level of intensity would be hard to maintain but they easily have the most talented bunch of hurlers in the country and to have 1 all Ireland with their age profile is an amazing achievement - i'll revise down to 3 of the next 10 all Irelands so.

Most of us thought Tipp would have a big spell of dominance after 2010, didnt happen. No one knows- this was the year for an upset, any 4 of the semi finalists could have one it. Clare in fairness are worthy champions but the gauntlet will be thrown down again next year & they are the team to beat.
    They might win another one or two but they might not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

We didnt beat them lads.End of.

They have been building towards this for a while.We only have been taking our first steps (thats if we do build on the munster double this year.)We were outfought in the semi final in lots of areas so no what ifs from me.

Aside from that we have lost our last 4 senior finals since 1973.Clare have won 3 out of 4 since 1995.Our terrible recent record in finals might have seen us lose this one if we made it.

Not only that but clare have an envious record of underage all ireland wins in recent times.5 underage finals since 1997 and 4 wins.

Overdoing the stats maybe but thats what it takes to win.When you have that behind you delivering in croke park isnt as difficult.

Fair play to clare.A great all ireland to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

shockframe wrote: »
    We didnt beat them lads.End of.

They have been building towards this for a while.We only have been taking our first steps (thats if we do build on the munster double this year.)We were outfought in the semi final in lots of areas so no what ifs from me.

Aside from that we have lost our last 4 senior finals since 1973.Clare have won 3 out of 4 since 1995.Our terrible recent record in finals might have seen us lose this one if we made it.

Not only that but clare have an envious record of underage all ireland wins in recent times.5 underage finals since 1997 and 4 wins.

Overdoing the stats maybe but thats what it takes to win.When you have that behind you delivering in croke park isnt as difficult.

Fair play to clare.A great all ireland to win.
    Absolutely- they are worthy champions & best of luck to them. Now are we going to admire them over the bridge or try emulate what they have achieved?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement