Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Na Piarsaigh are playing Loughmore/Castleiney at the weekend as far as I know. I wonder how familiar Ger Cunningham and his backroom team would be with Limerick club players?

I'm sure there'll be a couple of Limerick selectors who will be advising him, but I'd like an outside, unbiased view too.

I wonder are the likes of David Moloney, James O'Brien, Cathal McNamara, Robbie Egan, Dinny Moloney, John Fitzgibbon, Mikey Ryan among others going to get a fair chance. I don't know if all of them are good enough, but I'd like them to be considered at least. I wonder whether he'll play any of last year's minor team.... I wouldn't myself, but after Clare's success, everyone will want to include youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oldfullforward

I guess that a coach coming in from the outside wouldn't be expected to know all Limerick club players, but this is surely where appointing good Limerick based selectors with knowledge of the club scene would be important, as well as the willingness to give lads like you have mentioned a chance in early training sessions and games next year

Leader team of the Club Football Championship

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-sfc-team-of-the-year-1-5621704

1. Danny Fitzgerald (Ballysteen)

The Ballysteen No1 made a number of memorable saves throughout the year and offered great protection to his defence. Others to impress between the posts were Keith Noonan (Drom-Broadford), Ger Ryan (Galbally) and Donal O’Sullivan (Monaleen).

2. Eoin Barry (Dromcollogher-Broadford)

From start to finish, Barry was a constant top performer in defence for the county champions. Very strong in possession and breaks impressively forward. Held off strong claims from Finbarr Nash (Monaleen) and Patrick Moran (Ballysteen).

3. Shane Fox (Ballylanders)

In an often over-worked Ballylanders defence, Fox was Mr Calm. Always looks comfortable in possession and held his own in a defence saw a lot of personnel changes during the year. Wayne Cronin (St Patricks) and Paudie McCarthy (St Kierans) were others to impress in the No3 shirt.

4. Colm Moran (Monaleen)

Time after time throughout the year Moran drove forward with speed and determination from right corner back. Wasn’t as prominent in the county final, but caught the eye in most earlier round games. Gary Egan (Drom-Broadford) is unlucky to loose out.

5. Brendan McCarthy (St Kierans)

The year ended with all three McCarthy brothers in defence for St Kierans. Throughout the season Brendan was ultra reliable and put the shackle on many of dangerous forward. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins) and Cillian Fahy (Drom-Broadford) also had some fine performances.

6. Pa Mullins (St Patricks)

Not the biggest of centre back but Mullins anchored the defensive unit brilliant for the city side. Dee O’Leary (Drom-Broadford) and Johnny McCarthy (St Kierans) also played well this season.

7. Garrett Noonan (Dromcollogher-Broadford)

Man of the Match on county final day, the wing back popped up to win vital ball all season. As well as defensive duties, he was the launchpad for many an attack. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen) and Joey Healy (Newcastle West) also caught the eye.

8. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher-Broadford)

What a leader Buckley is. For club and county he is inspirational. Wins possession, delivers to the attack and chips in with scores. Made one telling caught under his own crossbar during the county final win. Iain Corbett (Newcastle West) and Darragh Treacy (St Kierans) also made telling contributions this season.

9. Dermot Phelan (St Patricks)

Phelan rolled back the years with some fine displays to haul the city side back into contention this season. Seemed to win ball after ball in the middle of the field. Michael O’Sullivan (Drom-Broadford), Brian Geary (Monaleen) and Ray Hayes (Ballysteen) are others that played key roles for their clubs.

10. Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks)

Played in a variety of positions and constantly impressed. An imposing figure when driving forward and got some vital scores. Patrick Delee (Mountcollins), Darragh Bonfil (Monaleen) and Jack Ben Hartnett (St Kierans) had their moments.

11. Graham O’Connell (Monaleen)

Wasn’t as promoinent in the county final, but O’Connell sparkled in most previous games with fine scores from play and from frees. Held off strong claims from Patrick Donnelly (Drom-Broadford) and Patrick O’Donnell (Galbally).

12. Sean McSweeney (St Kierans)

The scores from McSweeney, from play and from frees, were key to the progression of St Kierans. A constant score-getter is just what St Kierans need to move to the next level. Eoin Hanrahan (St Patricks) and John Collins (Ballysteen) also had some fine games during the year.

13. Ger Collins (Monaleen)

The county final displayed just how much Monaleen depend on Collins. The inter-county constantly landed scores from play and frees throughout all games this campaign. Sean Cronin (Newcastle West and Danny Frewen (Ballylanders) are others that gave glimpses of their talents.

14. Micheal Reidy (Dromcollogher-Broadford)

The championship winning captain continues to pop up with winning scores. Wins ball after ball in the full forward line and rarely wastes possession. John Mullane (St Patricks) and Jack Donovan (Galbally) also had some fine outings.

15. Killian Phair (Dromcollogher-Broadford)

What an addition to the champions. The Cavan native scored from fine goals and points this season as he hit the ground running following his transfer. Danny Neville (Ballysteen) and Billy Quirke (Fr Caseys) were also vital to their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Na piarsaigh down by 8 to loughmore,but loughmore down to 13 men against the wind.

If na piarsaigh,who were big favourites loose now, thats a bad loss.

Downes got a goal.

Three points in it,but twenty to go.Na piarsaigh with two extra men,surely win it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

What a match :D

What a match :D
    No way should a team with two extra men for a part of the game,but then one extra man with such a huge wind,you could even hear it on the radio ,loose a game.

Sounded like a cracker on limk 95,Downes and dowling when the need was greatest stood up.

Two savage hurlers,no suprise ,really proves what limerick missed this year.They neeed a goal,downes got it,needed a point he got it.Still baffling that he couldn't start for limerick.

Superb win for Na Piarsaigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

No way should a team with two extra men for a part of the game,but then one extra man with such a huge wind,you could even hear it on the radio ,loose a game.

Sounded like a cracker on limk 95,Downes and dowling when the need was greatest stood up.

Two savage hurlers,no suprise ,really proves what limerick missed this year.They neeed a goal,downes got it,needed a point he got it.Still baffling that he couldn't start for limerick.
    Agree. Savage player.

Agree. Savage player.
    This game will bring them on a lot.

If anything it looks like na piarsaigh were over confident.Today will bring them down to earth.

I believe limerick with the right manager ,are n the cusp of glory ,i dnt mean munster titles,i mean all irelands.Downes will play a big part if ye win oneg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Na piarsaigh down by 8 to loughmore,but loughmore down to 13 men against the wind.

If na piarsaigh,who were big favourites loose now, thats a bad loss.

Downes got a goal.

Were Na Piarsaigh favourites going into this game.??
    Hard to see how the bookies would do that, i'm basing it on the comparison between both county finals and the fact that they were playing 'away' in Thurles.
    Certainly looks like Downes and Dowling stood up when it mattered most.
    P.S. referee played over 6 minutes injury time, so L/G can have little complaints.

washman3 wrote: »
    Were Na Piarsaigh favourites going into this game.??
    Hard to see how the bookies would do that, i'm basing it on the comparison between both county finals and the fact that they were playing 'away' in Thurles.
    Certainly looks like Downes and Dowling stood up when it mattered most.
    P.S. referee played over 6 minutes injury time, so L/G can have little complaints.

8 to 15 pp today

8 to 15 pp today
    The fact they won munster club two years ago,add in dowling and downes,loughmore main man was only noel mcgrath,and the fact that two limerick teams beat tipp this year made them favourites.

The fact they won munster club two years ago,add in dowling and downes,loughmore main man was only noel mcgrath,and the fact that two limerick teams beat tipp this year made them favourites.

Ya, can see the reason now.
    N.P. at home (Gaelic Grounds) to Passage of Waterford in 2 weeks.
    Whats you verdict?
    Take it the straight red rules out their fullback.

This game will bring them on a lot.

If anything it looks like na piarsaigh were over confident.Today will bring them down to earth.

I believe limerick with the right manager ,are n the cusp of glory ,i dnt mean munster titles,i mean all irelands.Downes will play a big part if ye win oneg
    Very frustrating team sometimes, they can be scintillating or mediocre. They already had their brought down to earth moment this season when Doon beat them in the group -they shouldn't need another!

No sign of a manager yet but I agree, I think there are 15-20 players there as good any county have, if the team is prepared and put together properly. We live in hope.

Ya, can see the reason now.
    N.P. at home (Gaelic Grounds) to Passage of Waterford in 2 weeks.
    Whats you verdict?
    Take it the straight red rules out their fullback.

I honestly dont know a lot bout Ardmore bar frank flannery to judge them.

But home advantage, and the expierence ,and two marquee players in downes and dowling ,should win it for Na piarsaigh.But the other poster said Na piarsaigh blow hot and cold,thats a worry.

When limerick teams are favourites they tend to struggle.

From corks side if Sars are more expierenced but have nothing new unlike midelton to offer Cork.

Downes on joe barry.Only one winner.

Cussen is very markable.

Cian mac is fine in these conditions,but i wouldnt say unmarkable.

Midelton if they get to the final,will have answered the doubters in terms of temperament,including myself.

Lehane,o farell,nagle ,patrick o mahony ,are all fine hurlers and aidan ryan seems to be top form also.Bud hartnett is talented,but not consisent.

O mahony to mark downes is a different test.Bill walsh exposed him for cork as a full back ,so time will tell if he is a full back or more of a corner back.

Their a very young side bout ten or 11 won a county u21 in 2011 and a few are involved at that grade at the moment.That could be the worry,the inexpierence of the team.

But where as sars dont have a real intercounty forward like Downes or Dowling who can do real damage,midelton do with Farell on he days and lehane.Anything dowling can do lehane can do.Similar players,dowling probably better under the high ball.

Sars have conor sullivan and kearney though two super players and are expierenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

Great win for Na Piarsaigh.

They have done well in the Munster championship so far.Let's hope they keep it going.

Is Ronan Lynch involved with them.I know he's still under 17 but you would have thought he'd have some part to play.2 other county minors on the starting 15.

Midleton could be the form team if they make it out of cork.Midleton could be playing na piarsaigh again!

shockframe wrote: »
    Great win for Na Piarsaigh.

They have done well in the Munster championship so far.Let's hope they keep it going.

Is Ronan Lynch involved with them.I know he's still under 17 but you would have thought he'd have some part to play.2 other county minors on the starting 15.

Midleton could be the form team if they make it out of cork.Midleton could be playing na piarsaigh again!
    Lynch not involved yet, doing his leaving cert this year. Probably more than able for it at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

Lynch not involved yet, doing his leaving cert this year. Probably more than able for it at this stage though.

Worse again.Thought he would be with ASR for the 2014/15 harty cup.

In fairness to Na Piarsaigh they have the youngsters coming through to boost ASR.

shockframe wrote: »
    Worse again.Thought he would be with ASR for the 2014/15 harty cup.

In fairness to Na Piarsaigh they have the youngsters coming through to boost ASR.

He is playing Harty, has played in all of the games so far.

I saw him in the ist game against Hamilton and he was excellent ,but Cahalane troubled him at times,but then he was moved to full forward.

You would think that he would be used as a sub,surely better option than quigley at 42,as in terms of building the future.

Theres lads with cork development squad this year ,eoghan kinery and mark dolan,who are still playing harty cup ,but didnt feature at minor last year that have played as subs for killeagh and douglas in the cork county senior club.Lynch in comparision has two (i think?)years minor behind him

At that age players must be protected and given time,espiceally if they have a bad game,but i do think that as subs if they have talent should be exposed to senior club if oppurtinty arises and if managed correctly.

Obivously player burnout would be a concern,but he is nt a dual player unlike a lot of our lads.

• Advertisement

2-1 for Dave Dempsey is impressive for a player who is still minor. With a really strong half-back line, Dempsey and Dowling in midfield, the the other Dempsey, Adrian Breen, Kevin Ryan and obviously Downes in attack; they have some serious players.

If Downes, Dempsey and Dowling are in form...they have the talent to beat most teams. Let's hope they can get over Passage and target another Munster title.

As for new Limerick manager, apparently the announcement is going to be made during the week. We've had so many candidates and people "as good as done" but apparently with Ger Cunningham being named on the Cork selectors that he is no longer in the running, and Donal O'Grady is set to return?

Don't know how true that is, but looking on twitter and facebook and from word-of-mouth rumours, that does seem to be most likely, but there are all sorts of things up there. Hopefully it'll all be cleared up soon.

Although...

Liam Aherne posted this on twitter a few hours ago.....

Wonder if the latest twist about the limerick set up for next year is true.. If so then 2 opposition counties affected for Limericks gain!!

Now you'd think that if it was announced, that Aherne would be one of the first among the media to hear, he's on good terms with a lot of the players and some of the county board. He says it's just rumour yet but if it were true.....

That would look like Ger Cunningham + Paul Kinnerk among others, from my point of view.

Evening echo ,ran a full back page special that Tj and O grady are set to become the new manager,o grady coach.

Indo today said it was Cunnighams.

Theres no further county board meetings as far as im aware due,so they will prob have an emergency meeting to announce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Evening echo ,ran a full back page special that Tj and O grady are set to become the new manager,o grady coach.

Indo today said it was Cunnighams.

Theres no further county board meetings as far as im aware due,so they will prob have an emergency meeting to announce it.

This was the county board's first choice from what I understand, O'Grady the main man in 2014 and TJ to take sole charge in 2015. But I was also led to believe that Donal O'G wasn't having any of it, not interested full stop.
    Fireball07 wrote: »

That would look like Ger Cunningham + Paul Kinnerk among others, from my point of view.

I'd be fairly happy with that.

Paul Kinnerk has already committed to Clare.
    Think Davy has kept his entire backroom staff in place for 2014.

Paul Kinnerk has already committed to Clare.
    Think Davy has kept his entire backroom staff in place for 2014.

Well that's a disappointment...

Liam Sheedy + Eamonn O'Shea + Ger Cunningham? :pac:

I'll be seriously surprised if its anyone other than Cunningham. It seems pretty clear they couldn't get Sheedy or O'Grady, they'd have announced them by now, and Cunningham seems the only realistic candidate still standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

JP has got his men.... Cunningham, Cusack and Kinnerk.

Vanolder wrote: »
    JP has got his men.... Cunningham, Cusack and Kinnerk.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

dunno if tj ryan got it, as garryspillane refused to play for him, ogrady thought us to play handball, are we going back to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement