Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private Sale - What to do?

• 03-03-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Having no knowledge whatsoever of cars, I'm hoping some of you could give me some advice.

I am looking at a car tomorrow, 75k, reasonable price (not too low, about 300-400 below dealer prices), NCT until end of year, looks to be in good condition from the photos.

I am on a tight budget and need it for work (it is my first also) - I really cant afford to put any cash into it for at least another year.

What are the usual procedures for doing a private deal? Papers signed, receipts issued, statements, history etc? I dont have much chance of getting anyone out with me to look at it either, unless any of you know of mechanics who offer such a service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You sign the VLC and seller sends it to Shannon. You get it from them via mail after a week or so.
    Get a receipt.
    You should really have someone with you that knows cars or at least watch this:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If it's only a few hundred less than dealer prices I'd probably go with the dealers, get a warranty and some consumer rights while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If it's only a few hundred less than dealer prices I'd probably go with the dealers, get a warranty and some consumer rights while you're at it.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't been able to find one (an available one) through any dealers. Got the mywheels report and it checks out also - in general do people avoid private deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Right if it was me buying private I would only consider purchasing if the seller owned the car for atleast a year and also had the original NCT reports over this time to give some accuracy to the mileage reading. You really need to know what you are looking at when purchasing a car privately, if you don't bring someone with you who does.

Right if it was me buying private I would only consider purchasing if the seller owned the car for atleast a year and also had the original NCT reports over this time to give some accuracy to the mileage reading. You really need to know what you are looking at when purchasing a car privately, if you don't bring someone with you who does.

Car was owned from new (according to ad and report), one owner. I wont get a look at the service history until tomorrow

• Advertisement

Also, anyone know of a mechanic who would come inspect? Do any of the chains offer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

not certain but I think the AA offer this service, I stand to be corrected though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

efla wrote: »
    Car was owned from new (according to ad and report), one owner. I wont get a look at the service history until tomorrow
    Check the SH carefully, and if the invoices aren't present then ring the garages who stamped the book to verify. That said, it's generally a good sign when someone keeps a car for 75k miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Also, anyone know of a mechanic who would come inspect? Do any of the chains offer it?

AA Ireland:

http://www.aaireland.ie/vehicle-inspections/
    AA Website wrote:
    Buying a used car often gives you more questions than answers.

* Has the car has been crashed in the past?
    * Are all electrical systems working?
    * What about the tyres? Brakes? Paintwork?

Here at the AA, we have a team of expert engineers, who have many years experience as both AA Patrols and motor engineers, on hand to help answer these questions and more so you can then make an informed decision.

An AA Vehicle Inspection is a comprehensive and in-depth examination of a vehicle which includes:

* A full mechanical and electrical check
    * Checking for evidence of major accident damage and/or repairs
    * Recording of VIN and Chassis numbers
    * An extended road test
    * A full under-body inspection to ascertain any structural problems or accident damage

Once our engineer has inspected the vehicle they will then compile a detailed and comprehensive report outlining their findings where they will contact you to discuss and also send you a copy of the report.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Check the SH carefully, and if the invoices aren't present then ring the garages who stamped the book to verify. That said, it's generally a good sign when someone keeps a car for 75k miles.

Log book is stamped by dealer at regular intervals - no invoice so will be contacting the garage tomorrow. Overall impression was good, very well kept, no visible damage/misalignment, smooth gears, no stuttering, clutch seems fine.

Will contact AA just to be sure, thanks everyone.

• Advertisement

How much is the car? If the full service history checks out and the car drives well and the owner seems trustworthy to you then I mightn't be totally convinced of the need to spend €300ish on an AA inspection.

How much is the car? If the full service history checks out and the car drives well and the owner seems trustworthy to you then I mightn't be totally convinced of the need to spend €300ish on an AA inspection.

4000 asking - not worth it?

I'm fairly happy with it to be honest, everything has been up front with her

I'd hesitate to advise anyone else on this course, but for a car of that value where everything else checks out i'd trust my instincts rather than spend money I could keep for future mechanical contingencies on a report. When buying from the original owner, being a good judge of character can sometimes be more valuable than being a mechanic, in my experience. As I said, though, that's just my personal opinion. If you're still worried, is there a local (to the seller)mechanic with a good reputation that you could arrange with the owner to bring the car to? They might smell future service work and give the car a once-over for small money, just to give you a little extra peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I got a quote for an AA check yesterday, it was €350ish plus VAT. (For a €2k car :pac:)

I'd hesitate to advise anyone else on this course, but for a car of that value where everything else checks out i'd trust my instincts rather than spend money I could keep for future mechanical contingencies on a report. When buying from the original owner, being a good judge of character can sometimes be more valuable than being a mechanic, in my experience. As I said, though, that's just my personal opinion. If you're still worried, is there a local (to the seller)mechanic with a good reputation that you could arrange with the owner to bring the car to? They might smell future service work and give the car a once-over for small money, just to give you a little extra peace of mind.

I will call around tomorrow and see, I dont think the AA is quite worth it for that much. I dont know of any mechanics either, I think I will go with it after a phonecall to the service garage. Good impression from her also, no hesitation with anything

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I'd say a local garage would check out a car for you for smaller money than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Good impression from her also, no hesitation with anything
    Tomorrow, I spend €360 to fix something to do with the seatbelt in my car. I've had the car just over a year.

=-=

Why is she selling it, and does she own the car? Like, all of it, and not bank finance.

Very good advice in the above posts, an AA check at €300 odd is a total rip off. If there is a service history with the car, if it has the NCT history, if the seller owns it a good while and if it looks and drives fine it more than likely is.

I'd sooner buy privately than from a dealer in many cases, keep in mind though for a straight sale you would often get 10% off the screen price in a dealer so the private sale price should be less again. In saying that I have sold a couple of cars prvately for more than dealers were asking for the same age models. Fresh NCT and an honest face does wonders :)

Advertisement