Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some people are idiots

• 03-03-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭
    M

If you go on to donedeal.ie and simply run a search for log book it brings back results of over 250 cars which mostly have what could be called revenue/insurance legality issues, why are people so thick as to advertise this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ring them up, ask them who there insured with and how they find them and then ask for the reg so you can do an online check.

Then report them to the insurance company as fraudulently insuring there vechicle.

Anyone that insures and drives there car as something it is not is indeed an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I have my reservations about buying from Done Deal to be honest. It's a great website for sure but a lot of dealers use it to sell off trade-ins that they normally wouldn't put their name to as a private sale.

Flip side of that is that it's basically a bargain basement website and that's all that's selling these days bar new cars via scrappage scheme.

That said if selling a classic you will not get a better response from any other website in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

draffodx wrote: »
    Ring them up, ask them who there insured with and how they find them and then ask for the reg so you can do an online check.

Then report them to the insurance company as fraudulently insuring there vechicle.

Anyone that insures and drives there car as something it is not is indeed an idiot

And report the ad to DoneDeal, get it pulled.
    This sh*t annoys me - "1.2 Renault Clio half ass converted by me and my mates to 2l, still 1.2 on logbok"

The suggestion that just because a logbook doesn't mention a turbo means you don't have to mention it to your insurerer is laughable tho - who actually falls for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

If you go on to donedeal.ie and simply run a search for log book it brings back results of over 250 cars which mostly have what could be called revenue/insurance legality issues, why are people so thick as to advertise this?
    Because they are advertising to other people with the same mind sets as themselves.
    After all, who is going to check this out and report it? I know I couldn't be bothered.
    I guess it's really a job for the ins. companys.....who knows.
    Right enough, it would be in the insurance companys best interest to monitor these internet ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

cadaliac wrote: »
    Right enough, it would be in the insurance companys best interest to monitor these internet ads.
    Why? Since their policies are void after the fact, the people who attempt this scam are giving them free money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

langdang wrote: »
    And report the ad to DoneDeal, get it pulled.
    This sh*t annoys me - "1.2 Renault Clio half ass converted by me and my mates to 2l, still 1.2 on logbok"

The suggestion that just because a logbook doesn't mention a turbo means you don't have to mention it to your insurerer is laughable tho - who actually falls for this?

does it not mean that their insurance is void if they are in an accident and its noticed that the engine is not what it says on the log book?
    or would this even be inspected?

ive seen log books for cars with different colours too,
    like the car was originaly blue and was resprayed to be twotoned or something nothing like the original color..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Company will still pay out to third parties I think, but may chase the naive/fraudulent insured person for some or all of the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Why? Since their policies are void after the fact, the people who attempt this scam are giving them free money.
    I don't think that the Ins. company will look at it like that though. If there is a fender bender - car 1 is insured as a 1.9 tdi 105 bhp but actually has 130bhp (or whatever insurance discreppencay but not a boy racer looking car). Car 2 is an innocent car that got involved in the crash.
    Lets say 2k of damage to car 1 and 4k of damage to the car that was hit.
    The insurance assessor will look at car 1 for sure and check that there is really 2k worth of damage, but is he really going to look for an engine code to check the size of the turbo or how much power the car is actually putting out?

My arguement is all null and void of course if there are major mods to the engine that are plainly visable of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

cadaliac wrote: »
    but is he really going to look for an engine code to check the size of the turbo or how much power the car is actually putting out?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Yes

i think they keep the cars in a scrap area untill there checked over.. im not sure if thats only if its been written off though..

i know a guy who hit a pot hole and popped the tyre, lost controll and
    crashed into another car and into a ditch and they took put his car into a yard untill it was inspected and then it was cubed.. i think the damage total was like 50k or something massive, he hit a brand new convertable which i think was also written off..

im not sure if the claim was passed onto the council over the massive pot hole.. maybe thats why they wanted to check the car..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yes
    So they are dismantling engines to check the turbo model and rolling road dyno testing crashed cars...?

On another note, can a car not be taxed as a 1.6 but insured with declared mods as a 2.0 Turbo? Why the assumption that the tax book figure, which are innocently incorrect for many cars, eg our Audi Allroad 2.7T petrol was named "Audi Allroad 2.7TDI" in the UK Logbook, error on their Revenue side.

Advertisement