Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i moved out of my house a few months before my NTL year-long contract was up..

• 03-03-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

is there any way around paying disconnection fees?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you contact them in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

dub45 wrote: »
    Did you contact them in advance?

na, i don't fancy waiting 3 hours on the phone to be put through to someone. thought this way would be quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Nope, you basically own them for the remaining months of the year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

na, i don't fancy waiting 3 hours on the phone to be put through to someone. thought this way would be quicker.
    so, rather than a phone call to the company, you think posting on a random internet forum is going to resolve the issue quicker? RIng NTL and sort it. Ive never waited longer than 5-10 minutes. Ring the sales line and you are guaranteed they answer. They then put you thruogh to the right dept.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    so, rather than a phone call to the company, you think posting on a random internet forum is going to resolve the issue quicker? RIng NTL and sort it. Ive never waited longer than 5-10 minutes. Ring the sales line and you are guaranteed they answer. They then put you thruogh to the right dept.

it's not a random internet forum, it's the broadband forum. i'd say at the very least there might be a slim chance that someone might have been in this position before and may know the best approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Nope, you basically own them for the remaining months of the year..

Not quite they charge €100 if you leave before your contract expires

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Prior to leaving, you should have gave them your new address. You will then be set up in your new place.
    If, however they cannot provide the same service at your new address, your present contract will become null and void, as they are unable to complete their side of the contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

F1ngers wrote: »
    Prior to leaving, you should have gave them your new address. You will then be set up in your new place.
    If, however they cannot provide the same service at your new address, your present contract will become null and void, as they are unable to complete their side of the contract.

That's not the case:
    2.6 If you move house, we will try, but shall be under no obligation, to provide you with
    the Services at your new address if it is within our serviceable area. You will still be liable
    to pay the applicable Charges in relation to the Minimum Period (as defined in paragraph
    3) for the Services provided to your old address, even if you move from that address
    during the Minimum Period, or we do not provide you with the Services at your new
    address, or if your new address is outside our serviceable area. Where we are providing
    a Broadband Internet Service and you move to another address within our serviceable
    area, you must give us at least thirty (30) days’ notice if you wish us to provide such
    Service to your new address. Where we agree to provide the Services to your new
    address, you shall pay us the applicable transfer of service charge. Details of our
    transfer of service charge are set out in our Price List.

By the way, typical of UPC's contempt for their own terms and conditions there is no such Price List - I have asked them several times where exactly it can be found:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    That's not the case:

By the way, typical of UPC's contempt for their own terms and conditions there is no such Price List - I have asked them several times where exactly it can be found:rolleyes:

ok, well thing is they've already got nTL set up in my new address. don't suppose there's any way you can 'merge' accounts, so to speak? nah, crazy idea...

another thing: if you're not gonna pay disconnection fees and you don't want your old housemates using it for free, is there some way you can 'block' the connection? i don't think they're willing to take over the remainder of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

another thing: if you're not gonna pay disconnection fees and you don't want your old housemates using it for free, is there some way you can 'block' the connection? i don't think they're willing to take over the remainder of the contract.
    unplug the modem and/or router and take it with you. you can't just plug any old modem into a cable broadband connection, the modem is locked to your line when it's installed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement