Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Essays

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

esio trot wrote: »
    The English course is basically redundant anyway, we are studying a 400 year old wanker for Christs sake. If you can get a good essay and get away with plagiarising it then good for you. Half the ****ers just regurgitate notes anyway. The Leaving is the biggest load of bollocks going, plagiarisingis basically what we are being thought to do and if you are weak at a subject then **** it. Cheat your arse off and hope for the best.
    Good luck with that attitude :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fuzzel

I has written?
    :P

I has anything?
    I think you can safely assume that the "etc.." in (has, was etc...) includes have:
    I have written, which is correct unlike: I have wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

esio trot wrote: »
    The Leaving is the biggest load of bollocks going, plagiarisingis basically what we are being thought to do and if you are weak at a subject then **** it. Cheat your arse off and hope for the best.

What an eloquent summation of our education system and how it is thought :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

I, personally, have no problem with being able to think of a story at the top of my head to fit any situation. The easiest thing to do is question number 7...remember from the Mocks people? It asked you to write a story that involves any of the pictures that was on the previous section (You know, all to do with competition).
    Just know that the picture does NOT have to be the main plot point of the story you are writing. It can be something that happens for 2 seconds in the middle of your story, that's how much flexibility you have. Although I like to make it a main point to show that I understand the question, and have not prepared an essay. (Call me stuck-up, I know I am being a little, it's just English is one of the very few subjects I kick arse at)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Reckoner91 wrote: »
    I, personally, have no problem with being able to think of a story at the top of my head to fit any situation. The easiest thing to do is question number 7...remember from the Mocks people? It asked you to write a story that involves any of the pictures that was on the previous section (You know, all to do with competition).
    Just know that the picture does NOT have to be the main plot point of the story you are writing. It can be something that happens for 2 seconds in the middle of your story, that's how much flexibility you have. Although I like to make it a main point to show that I understand the question, and have not prepared an essay. (Call me stuck-up, I know I am being a little, it's just English is one of the very few subjects I kick arse at)

Would you not lose marks under 'p' for not including much of it?
    I mean if you just shtick one line about the picture in a prepared essay, surely you wouldnt do that well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Of course it does. It has to be a defining moment in the story, key scene whatever. Otherwise how would they mark you for P as said below?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Just know that the picture does NOT have to be the main plot point of the story you are writing. It can be something that happens for 2 seconds in the middle of your story, that's how much flexibility you have.

I'm sorry Reckoner, but this is completely wrong and misleading to tell others.

In the past, students were getting away with this, just slotting the picture in, but the SEC have really tightened up on this. It's not good enough any more. The mock paper is hardly a good example to use.

Example: last year's Question 7: "Write a short story in which a photograph, or a set of photographs, plays a part in the plot." I lost track of the students who lost whole grades when they wrote a story that just mentioned, for example, the guy with the cat in the middle of their story. The question asked them for a story that had a photograph playing a part in the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

alright maybe I was a bit too fast and easy with the whole "2 seconds" thing. When I take a step back and look at the scope, I realize that it just seemed to me how it was just 2 seconds that I included the photograph into my mock essay. Sure, the photograph does have to be a plot point, just not the main one.

You should spend a good 2 or 3 paragraph(s) emphasizing how much the photograph is relevant to the story. But you don't have to base your whole story around it, I don't and my teacher has no problem with it.

Thanks for making me realize I'm not as knowledgable as I think I am ;)

Advertisement