Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor hutch time?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

My pair of rabbits have been sleeping inside for the winter. We just got them an outside hutch for the spring/summer(large run included), but the nights are still really cold(-1 to 4degrees cel). Two questions, first, how mild do the nights have to be before they spend the night in the hutch, and secondly, what is the cosiest bedding for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Think I saw before here that you should wait until nearly May before putting them out as they are used to warm nights.

Bedding for my two varies between sawdust/hay/straw/shredded paper.

You check out http://www.irishrabbits.proboards.com/ for rabbit specific information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Deffo. don't put them out until May you can be sure then that all signs of frost has gone (unless our Irish weather becomes more mental).
    It's a good time of year to get them used to it.

You can start mid April bringing them out for a couple of hours each day in the middle of the day when it's warmest and if you do this for a couple of weeks leaving it a bit longer each time. Another reason for this is if they have access to grass you don't want them over doing it and eating too much lush new grass too soon. Or start handpicking a little grass in mid April and eventually give them a bit more.

If you get one of those blue tarps from the hardware they are brilliant for covering hutches and runs and keeping out the wind and rain and the sun in summer.

Just make sure they have been vaccinated against Myxomatosis and VHD before being allowed outside at all and keep an eye in their fur for rabbit fleas.

Vet bed is brilliant but layers of newspaper and then good quality fresh hay on top is the best for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

op here!
    Do I need to vaccinate them if they have no access to wild things. we live in town and they have a walled garden. They have been to the vet loadsa times and he never mention the need.
    They have been outside all winter during the day and have lovely fluffy winter coats that they are shedding at the moment. They even had a run around in the snow.
    They are in their new hutch now from about 9 every morning to 7 in the evening. Its upper level has a ventilated cover that came with the hutch, but my buck doesn't really use the cosy hay side. The doe does. And whenever he has access to the out doors, he chooses that above indoors. Even during the snow I had to shoo him into his cage after an hour of just sitting there.
    how do I get him to take shelter. I don't want to force him in there. I'll be checking him all night to make sure he is keeping himself warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Jinxi wrote: »
    op here!
    Do I need to vaccinate them if they have no access to wild things. we live in town and they have a walled garden. They have been to the vet loadsa times and he never mention the need.
    They have been outside all winter during the day and have lovely fluffy winter coats that they are shedding at the moment. They even had a run around in the snow.
    They are in their new hutch now from about 9 every morning to 7 in the evening. Its upper level has a ventilated cover that came with the hutch, but my buck doesn't really use the cosy hay side. The doe does. And whenever he has access to the out doors, he chooses that above indoors. Even during the snow I had to shoo him into his cage after an hour of just sitting there.
    how do I get him to take shelter. I don't want to force him in there. I'll be checking him all night to make sure he is keeping himself warm

I can only speak from my own experience. I have had 4 rabbits now (each living to 7/8 years of age which is their average lifespan) and the only time any of them needed to come indoors at night was this winter, during that awful cold weather we had. My little fella sits out in all weather, snow hail or rain, he never goes into his bedroom. I find that rabbits seem to prefer cold weather to warm weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Personally, I would start letting them out for a few hours on warm days, right away. Then slowly increase it, and by april-may have them sleeping outside. Once they get used to it they should be fine, because rabbits don't feel the cold too much.

If their hutch is somewhere quite sheltered, so the wind isn't getting in, then that would be good. Or maybe in a shed at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some pet rabbits are prone to the snuffles so ensuring they are locked in at night is important plus safer some don't like being told to go to bed but they get used to it.

Vaccinations should always be done one against Myxomatosis and a week later VHD, if you ever have to board them it's also handy to have them done.
    Even permanant indoor buns should be vaccinated as Myxo. can travel.

If you keep the run area covered during windy weather when he's sitting out that should help, another thing your rabbits might like..if you haven't already is an pipe or weather proof tube for the run, they love to snooze and chill in them.

If you keep their treats until the evening then bribing him into his hutch using treats can work. I found a stuffed kitchen roll insert with hay and herbs worked a treat when trying to get them to move.

Good time to start planting a few herbs to bribe them with.
    Oregano, thyme (not for preg. buns), apple mint, rosemary.
    Some rabbits are partial to particular herbs so if you find out what's this fave. that will make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Good time to start planting a few herbs to bribe them with.
    Oregano, thyme (not for preg. buns), apple mint, rosemary.
    Some rabbits are partial to particular herbs so if you find out what's this fave. that will make it easier.

Great idea, especially seeing as you can get the kids involved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

They have been in their large cage in the shed over winter with extra blankets during the really cold weather. Their new out door hutch has a slplit upper level and only one side is completley shut out to the elements. This is the side the buck refuses to sleep in. The other side is slightly protected by a tarp kind of cover, but not enough.
    I suppose I can trust his judgement on wether he is too cold or not.
    While there is frosty nights they are still sleeping in the shed.

Advertisement