Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio apps among most popular in Ireland - icarradio app is next for the car radio

• 03-03-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Radio apps among most popular in Ireland - icarradio app is next for the car radio

Are we ready for wifi radio on the go?

I just noticed while browsing the apple app store last week that the number one downloaded app for people's phones in Ireland was not rte, the independent or pac man but the Radio Ireland app which lists and streams all Irish stations (community, commercial, pirate, college, web only). It seems like the public really have an appetite for radio on their phones now as the phone becomes everybody's all-in-one media centre.

Later this year the next generation icarradio app comes on general release which will sync your iphone with your car radio so you will have 30,000 on the go.......at last! It will compress data from networks so users won't use up their data allowance.

Tunin.fm's makers claims that it is 'the world’s first and only mobile internet radio receiver for the iPhone which has been specifically designed to be used while on the move.'

So how far are we away now from 30,000 stations in the car and on the move? Does this kill dab?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

i use tunin.fm on the move it's very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you mad? The standard of 3G in this country is sh*t and coverage is far from amazing outside cities and towns. I use fStream on my iphone to listen to BBC stations in the car but it's pretty useless if I want to drive anywhere remotely rural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

TRSJ wrote: »

Are we ready for wifi radio on the go?

I just noticed while browsing the apple app store last week that the number one downloaded app for people's phones in Ireland was not rte, the independent or pac man but the Radio Ireland app which lists and streams all Irish stations (community, commercial, pirate, college, web only). It seems like the public really have an appetite for radio on their phones now as the phone becomes everybody's all-in-one media centre.

Later this year the next generation icarradio app comes on general release which will sync your iphone with your car radio so you will have 30,000 on the go.......at last! It will compress data from networks so users won't use up their data allowance.

Tunin.fm's makers claims that it is 'the world’s first and only mobile internet radio receiver for the iPhone which has been specifically designed to be used while on the move.'

So how far are we away now from 30,000 stations in the car and on the move? Does this kill dab?

I've never understood the benefit of DAB, which has seemed to me just another way of listening to some stations also available on FM.

The appeal of internet radio, on the other hand, is apparant, and to be able to listen to radio stations from across the world is amazing.

As technology improves, it will probably change the way we listen to radio in much the same way as satellite has changed the way many of us listen to tv.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Quite like the WunderRadio app myself - not restricted to Irish stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

byte wrote: »
    Quite like the WunderRadio app myself - not restricted to Irish stations.
    +1 WunderRadio is the best radio app excellent.It works best somewhere that there is a good wifi signal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement