Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

too good to be true....?!

• 03-03-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

I am buying my first dslr camera and have decided on a canon 450d. i found one online and went and saw it this evening. it has a scratch on the "handle" part, just behind and to the side of the shutter button, but otherwise its in perfect nick. the guy has all different kinds of cameras (i didn't ask why or how.....!!) and he was really nice. anyway, i got him down to 350 euro for the body and lens (does 18-80 make any sense? as i said, my very first one....), all the software, battery, charger, 1gb memory card and strap. he said he wants to keep it til friday because his friend can "do some cosmetic work" on the scratch because he wants to give me a good deal incase i ever want to refer anyone else to him etc.....
    what do you think....too good to be true? i've been looking around and new, they're around the 450 mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

did you take any pictures on it?

scratch could = drop

i dropped a camera and did not shoot straight.

in fairness does not sound like you did much research on lens sizes etc etc.

anyway i think the fact that he is going to fix the camera if you do decide to take it. makes sure its the same lens, memory card and body.

chances are he could fob cheaper stuff off to you under the guise of fixing the scratch.

what ever you do take a photo with it to see if it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

You can get them body only on ebay for 350 so if he has all the kit with it and a lens I would say not a bad deal. The question is can you trust the guy, if something is actually wrong can you bring it back to him. I get a lot of film stuff off a guy on the north side (beside St Annes Park) and he gives a 6 month guarantee with all his stuff. And he sells you nothing new being all second hand and film stuff. But I trust him and he has the guarantee.
    9 times out of 10 its more about the seller than the product.

But if the product is good and there are no problems I would see it as a good price.

But not a canon person btw, maybe one of the canon guys will weigh in :)

I hear the 450D is supposed to be a very good camera. No experience of it myself though.

You say you seen it online and went to see it. Is it on Adverts by any chance?

Adverts is (more often than not) a trusty site to use, as the people are generally boards users and have more than likely been around for a while.

Where did you meet the guy? If he's just some Joe Soap (ie; not commercial) then you should make sure to try and figure out where he lives if you don't have complete trust in him. Otherwise, if things go ass ways, you'll never see him again and you'll never know where to even start looking.

If it's a commercial sale, then by all means go for it, but if it's one of those mad dodgy second hand shops (not saying all second hand shops are dodgy by the way) then you may make sure you get in writing that the equipment is fully functional.

It's always going to be a dodgy one. If you post your location, you may get a charitable boardsie who is willing to tag along with you and take a look. I've seen some guys offer on the laptop forum to do such a thing (though I imagine it's rare).

Advertisement