Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 laser failure

Options
  • 03-03-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hey there

My brother's PS3's laser has gone kaput, and I'm wondering what's the cheapest and safest way to fix/replace it?

He mentioned €80 to buy one online and fit it himelf but I'm worried he might do more damage:o

PS He recently replaced his hard drive, that couldn't have affected the laser though could it? It worked afterwards, for a few days...but now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can get a brand new PS3 blu-ray laser for around €60 delivered online.
    I have replaced a few laser heads from this site, no problems so far, all brand new.
    http://www.eeshops.com/sony-ps2-ps3-ps3-repair-parts-c-6_46.html

What model of PS3 does you brother have? Is it a 60GB model with 4 USB ports on bottom front left or a 40GB model with 2 USB ports or an 80 GB with 2 USB ports.
    Depending on the model of PS3, a different laser is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

ongarite wrote: »
    You can get a brand new PS3 blu-ray laser for around €60 delivered online.
    I have replaced a few laser heads from this site, no problems so far, all brand new.
    http://www.eeshops.com/sony-ps2-ps3-ps3-repair-parts-c-6_46.html

What model of PS3 does you brother have? Is it a 60GB model with 4 USB ports on bottom front left or a 40GB model with 2 USB ports or an 80 GB with 2 USB ports.
    Depending on the model of PS3, a different laser is needed.

40Gb model (thanks by the way!)

How do you replace it? Do you need any soldering equipment? (I'm a n00b and concrned he's going to kill his PS3)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

40Gb model (thanks by the way!)

How do you replace it? Do you need any soldering equipment? (I'm a n00b and concrned he's going to kill his PS3)

Can you read the product code of the back of the PS3?
    Should be something like CECHXXXX

Its important for ordering the correct type of laser.

Its one of the simpler PS3 repair jobs but I'm not saying its easy. No soldering required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

ongarite wrote: »
    Can you read the product code of the back of the PS3?
    Should be something like CECHXXXX

Its important for ordering the correct type of laser.

Its one of the simpler PS3 repair jobs but I'm not saying its easy. No soldering required.

I'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you if that's alrighty?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

xboxman banned from console modding, want to advertise on boards get in touch with the community managers : sales@boards.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement