Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC signs world heavyweight boxing champion

• 03-03-2010 11:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

UFC has signed boxer James Toney to a multi-fight contract. FiveOuncesofPain.com reported the story earlier today and Dana White has confirmed it with us. Toney has held boxing championships in the middleweight, super middleweight, cruiserweight and heavyweight division. He currently holds NABO and IBA recognition as world heavyweight champion.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/12509/

They are finally doing boxer vs fighter so

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Toney's stalking of Dana pays off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I like this. Toney v Kimbo could be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I hope he wears one boxing glove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

why did he tap there? i couldnt see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

peter p wrote: »
    why did he tap there? i couldnt see!

he tapped from mount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

James Toney was a good skillful boxer but has a bad work ethic and is basically a fat middleweight fighting heavyweight-the belts he holds are below the normal stupid a b c belts and not worth mentioning either, personally i think this is embarrassing for both UFC and to true boxers, the UFC as they are blatantly putting him in to lose imo and true boxers as this is not a fair representation of them.

Dana had the option to use Kermit Cintron (when dana made the open challenge) who was the light welter champ and did not as he felt it was a high risk chance, now he puts in a finished overweight boxer who's style is more suited to technical boxing anyway..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Its a long time since Toney did anything of note in a boxing ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

we know toney has a boxing backround, but who's to say he hasnt been training in bjj or wrestling for some time?
    Probably not id reckon, but you never know he could have sick skills on the ground!!

I can see the headlines now
    "TONEY BEATS COUTURE BY REAR NAKED CHOKE"
    :eek:

Well we aren't going to see any top class boxers switching when the money is so much less in MMA.

Though the pay scales are improving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Kermit Cintron would have been a good option he only lost to Margarito (iirc) which is no disgrace. Toney is indeed a fat middleweight, wonder will we see Toney smoking cigars in his entrance.

I guess he will first work on his shoot defence as everyone will want to take him to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Toney's stalking of Dana pays off

He actually made himself look ridiculous....suppose not to hard really
    Well we aren't going to see any top class boxers switching when the money is so much less in MMA.

Though the pay scales are improving

Remember enzo maccarinelli (Calzaghi's mate who got knocked sparkers by Haye? He said after his next fight(I think another KO) that he had been doing some MMA training and was thinking about giving it a go. Anyone ever heard if he has done anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

cowzerp wrote: »
    James Toney was a good skillful boxer but has a bad work ethic and is basically a fat middleweight fighting heavyweight-the belts he holds are below the normal stupid a b c belts and not worth mentioning either, personally i think this is embarrassing for both UFC and to true boxers, the UFC as they are blatantly putting him in to lose imo and true boxers as this is not a fair representation of them.

Dana had the option to use Kermit Cintron (when dana made the open challenge) who was the light welter champ and did not as he felt it was a high risk chance, now he puts in a finished overweight boxer who's style is more suited to technical boxing anyway..

I dont really care how it looks tbh. People who follow both sports know the deal with Toney, and Boxers entering mma.

Toneys past it, but he still has decent hands and a big mouth. Im looking forward to his fight and the hype surrounding it.

Im sure we will eventually see a top boxer in mma one day, in the meantime though lets just enjoy this!

Yeah I heard about Enzo. That would be interesting.

One thing about boxers is they have great work ethic. Though in general their strength training is very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

He was fat and lazy as a boxer, im sure he will be the same as a "mixed martial artist".....

if thats the best the ufc can do in bringing over talent from mainstream combat sports perhaps they arnt offering enough £££ or people havnt been educated enough about mma..... i think it will be a while before we see any top boxers who are still top boxers moving over, the paygrades dont match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joeybull

manny paquaio now that wud b exciting.not enough money to bring him though.real hard man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Read earlier that UFC may put Toney Vs Kimbo as headline fight on same night as next strikeforce event, in same article it was rumoured that it was ALSO going to be held in Nashville. Suppose this is the UFC again trying to put other organisations down.

TBH - would anyone be that interested in Toney/Slice headline event? I wouldn't. Toney in his MMA debut and Kimbo's last fight was a snooze fest against houston alexander .... thumbs down IMO. It doesn't deserve headline status.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Devastator wrote: »
    Read earlier that UFC may put Toney Vs Kimbo as headline fight on same night as next strikeforce event, in same article it was rumoured that it was ALSO going to be held in Nashville. Suppose this is the UFC again trying to put other organisations down.

I wonder were Dana got that idea from :D
    http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/3/5/1359184/april-17th-ufc-and-strike-force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Kimbo vs Matt Mitrione has been confirmed for UFC 113 so Kimbo vs Toney is not happening anytime soon.

Apparently Toney wasn't interested in Kimbo because of the "freakshow" tag that people were giving it. Personally I thought it was the most sensible matchup ability wise. Both are older guys, with little or no ground game who like to swing for the fences. D class ground game vs Z grade ground game!

Looks like Toney vs Couture may be the matchup.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Looks like Toney vs Couture may be the matchup.

Good luck getting that sanctioned, no offense to Toney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

rovert wrote: »
    Good luck getting that sanctioned, no offense to Toney.

I've heard that rumoured too, might happen on an international event if there are sanctioning issues, although the UFC don't tend to go against the Athletic Comissions on that sort of thing.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've heard that rumoured too, might happen on an international event if there are sanctioning issues, although the UFC don't tend to go against the Athletic Comissions on that sort of thing.

Kind of defeats the purpose having on an international show media wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He was fat and lazy as a boxer, im sure he will be the same as a "mixed martial artist".....

That was when he went up the weights, as a Middle/SM/LH and even CW, Toney was a rare breed of fighter. Old school master with amazing skills. Great chin and pure effortless and relaxed inside the ring.

Advertisement