Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CCtv

• 04-03-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Has anybody noticed that cctv cameras appearing in unusual spots like the middle of estates and in very small towns .I actually have spotted 3 or 4 new cameras in maynooth and some of them aren't where you would expect them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well if scumbags stopped wrecking the place, then they wouldnt need cctv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Well if scumbags stopped wrecking the place, then they wouldnt need cctv.

and what about those troublesome neighbours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Are they private, connected to a business or public, such as the Garda/council ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

nothing to worry about.Its just part of making sure we have a solid national security :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

BumbleB wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed that cctv cameras appearing in unusual spots like the middle of estates and in very small towns .I actually have spotted 3 or 4 new cameras in maynooth and some of them aren't where you would expect them.

ok , about 65% of the population will say these are good things, makes crime easier to detect and acts a deterant also.

seems like a logical step forward in our technological time

about 35% of people will say they are an invasion of privacy, just another way for big brother to keep an eye on us and record every thing we do

-

They are good for the most part imo

course in the wrong hands they can be used for bad, but sure, what cant

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    ok , about 65% of the population will say these are good things, makes crime easier to detect and acts a deterant also.

seems like a logical step forward in our technological time

about 35% of people will say they are an invasion of privacy, just another way for big brother to keep an eye on us and record every thing we do

-

They are good for the most part imo

course in the wrong hands they can be used for bad, but sure, what cant
    i totally agree its all about the people behind the idea not the ideas themselves ussually.
    Im all for security but not at the risk of losing all liberties later on down the road.
    Its pretty clear i cant trust our government officials to be honest,so i certainly wont trust their cameras.
    They send poor people into run down areas and then fill it with cameras because for some reason this area seems to have alot of illegal activity.
    HHmmm why alot of it there and not somewhere else.
    Is it because when people in an area get poorer and poorer over the years they lose out on education, feel forced to pursue crime and have a total disrespect for authority?
    I dont know myself but thats just a guess.

I dont know about cctv popping up in areas without high illegal activity.I didnt think we were at that stage of the American experiment on Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Up until last year I worked for a large security company(I became a "victim" of the recession:rolleyes:).
    One of the smaller divisions of the company had started to do a lot of work installing CCTV systems in so called "problem" estates around the country.
    I can see how it could be said that the increased amount of CCTV cameras is beginning to get out of control and that in a way our society is starting to resemble some sort of 1984-esque distopia as a result.
    Most housing estates won't have these CCTV in place, it's usually only in places where they are really required, they are usually the same wireless sytems that you may notice in public parks nowadays. Because the systems can now be wireless it decreases the cost(not having to dig up the ground to lay cables) thus making it more affordable. Some residents groups even get together to have the systems installed. To be honest if there were scumbags setting cars on fire in driveways where I lived I wouldn't mind a bit of CCTV to help catch the bastards.

CCTV is one of those technologies that can be very positive but also has the potential to invade peoples privacy, it's just a case of getting the balance right, which unfortunately isn't always easy.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Are they private or public owned cameras?

I wouldnt be suprised if the gov contracted companies who would then seek to put them everywhere. lol
    Or maybe ive been watching too much american prison state tactics ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

When you pay for them you own them, they are your property. The company that installs them may well offer to maintain them but you can take out a maintenance contract with anyone you like.

If a county council pays to have them installed they are then the property of the county council. If you pay for them they are your property etc...

CCTV isn't the preserve of the NWO. You can buy and install systems yourself. Essentially all you need is a camera (or camera's) a recording device (DVR) and a monitor.
    As I said before the technology itself isn't inherently bad, although it can be used to do bad things.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

nullzero wrote: »
    <snip>
    As I said before the technology itself isn't inherently bad, although it can be used to do bad things.

Unfortunatly there is the data protection act that makes all that data available to be abused
    Essentialy once you make data be it video etc and you store it on tapes it becomes DATA subject to regulations such as you must protect it and store it safely and supply it to the government authorities if demanded from you

So in a nut shell you might own the camera but you dont own the stored data

If you destroy the data without permission you can also get into a tangle with Data protection authorities

If the camera you use isnt being taped and is wireless and others can easily access this feed you could be hot water for not protecting the data

Any data you make be it your raving on a computer or tape or disk or even writing on paper whatever can be confiscated at any time

Welcome to big brother based in Brusels

Ralf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Another one has gone up beside the telephone box observing macari's wasn't there last week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

derry wrote: »
    Unfortunatly there is the data protection act that makes all that data available to be abused
    Essentialy once you make data be it video etc and you store it on tapes it becomes DATA subject to regulations such as you must protect it and store it safely and supply it to the government authorities if demanded from you

So in a nut shell you might own the camera but you dont own the stored data

If you destroy the data without permission you can also get into a tangle with Data protection authorities

If the camera you use isnt being taped and is wireless and others can easily access this feed you could be hot water for not protecting the data

Any data you make be it your raving on a computer or tape or disk or even writing on paper whatever can be confiscated at any time

Welcome to big brother based in Brusels

Ralf

honestly very interested here, as CCTV comes under my department in work... can you direct me to this legislation that shows me the holding times required and other stuff you referenced in relation to cctv.....

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

BumbleB wrote: »
    Another one has gone up beside the telephone box observing macari's wasn't there last week .

It's because of the increasing trouble caused late at night by the merry students of Maynooth in that town...that's all. NWO's not here yet...relax.

Advertisement