Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Clubs Set Up By Irish People

• 04-03-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭

Don't be smart and say the LOI teams, I mean teams like Celtic who basically consider themselves Irish. They don't have to consider themselves Irish but have been set up by Irish people, possibly the old priests that went all over the place. Just wondering is their many.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hibs was founded by Irish immigrants too afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

PFAI teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Wasn't thinking straight it was the 2nd thing that came to my head after Eircom League for some reason. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Im sure there's loads of recently formed amateur clubs around the world.

For example, Munich Irish Rovers:
    The club, though its roots go as far back as March '86, was officially founded on May 7th '95. The Munich Irish Rovers FC is registered with the BFV (Bavarian Football Association) and the BLSV (Bavarian State Sports Association). On June 8th 2001 the members voted to have the club registered - the club now officially has "e.V." added to its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Archimedez wrote: »

Dundee Utd as well.

Man Utd weren't founded by Irishmen but there's definitely a bit of a connection there somewhere..........didn't they nearly become Manchester Celtic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Panathinaikos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Everton and Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Everton and Liverpool

Where they set up by Irish men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Don't be smart and say the LOI teams,

Ok......Irish League teams. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Glasgow Rangers and Hamburg

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Where they set up by Irish men?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McKenna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

There were probably some teams in South America set up by Irish people too. Especially in Argentina, cos wasn't their navy founded by an Irish Admiral??? I could be completely wrong here, but I always did suck at history!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Archimedez wrote: »

Hibs was founded in 1875 by an immigrant priest from Ballingarry in Co Limerick. I went to school with a great-grand-newphew of his.

Just curious, was he not the first manager and club secretary, was the club not founded by John Houlding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Houlding

I think he was their 1st Manager but been loyal to Houlding he help set up Liverpool after the rift between Houlding and Everton over payments to use Anfield as their home ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Floriana in Malta comes close enough I recon, set up around the time when the British occupied Malta, but they are and have always been nicknamed Tal' Irish (The Irish) due to their first match against the Dublin Fusiliers who were stationed in Floriana at the time.

Having lived in Malta for a while and talked to some of the locals, legend is that it was in fact set up by the Fusiliers and the first match was basically a training session between the 22 players.

They are also the most successful team in the Maltese League, well until Roddy Collins came along anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Maybe wrong but thought that one of the Founding Father's of River Plate was an Irishman. Can't prove it online atm, but while looking did find this interesting article on other Irishmen who were involved with Association Football in Argentina:- http://www.irlandeses.org/0803raffo1.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I think O'Higgins is also an Irish setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Couple a Argentinian and Chilean team were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

UD Salamanca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

DazMarz wrote: »
    There were probably some teams in South America set up by Irish people too. Especially in Argentina, cos wasn't their navy founded by an Irish Admiral??? I could be completely wrong here, but I always did suck at history!:D
    Admiral Guillermo Brown. I got free beer for being Irish thanks to him.

I think there are clubs named after him, but he didn't found any.
    Doocey wrote: »
    I think O'Higgins is also an Irish setup?

Bernard O'Higgins, the great Chilean liberator son of Ambrosio O'Higgins, an Irish born Spanish aristocrat.

Named in his honour, not founded by him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I cant believe nobody mentioned These

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Everton and Liverpool

A protestent minister from Yorkshire and an orangeman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So the answer is very few it seems

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A protestent minister from Yorkshire and an orangeman!

The Liverpool set up confuses me, it was set up by an Englishman John Houlding, he was the actual person who founded the club from what I know. Is this not the case?

Must say I do find how clubs were set up fasinating, for instance the whole Everton, Liverpool thing etc.

Advertisement