Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ 45 splitter

Options
  • 04-03-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Don't think this is meant to go here but not sure where to put it!

I want to connect 2 pcs to the internet which are 20 meters away from the wireless router. I have one 20 meter long cable and was wondering if something like this splitter would work. Can I just add two 2 meter ethernet cables to it and connect both pcs up independently. I assume this works however i have heard various things about not being able to split a digital connect like this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm pretty sure that won't work. You need a network switch.

I think splitters only work on 8 pair CAT5E where two 4 pair CAT5E are combined by a splitter on one end and then separated again by a splitter on the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

Get one of these €18

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=319207

2 more ethernet cables and you're good to go.

[router]
    [switch]
    [PC 1]
    ...............................|_______[PC 2]

(for some reason the spaces are ignored hence the dots - these are not a cable - i.e PC2 connects to the switch/hub)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-Ethernet-%22splitter%22/

They do work seemingly!

Hard to tell from the tiny bit of research I did if you only need one splitter or two.
    (a lot of FUD on any threads I found on the subject, does look to be two sets as far as I can see anyhow)

To the OP: buy two.....
    You need to have two splitters at the end of the your long LAN cable. The first set of splitters you have two ports on your router connected to it on the x2 port end and the long LAN at the other x1 port end. Then on the other side you have the other splitter hooked up to split back to two connections for the two PCs.

You can run two Ethernet connections over one Ethernet cable for 10/100 speeds as long as you have two ports free on the main router/switch and two sets of splitters.

Advertisement